MikeCH
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
Let's find out, you in SoCal?
Yes, let’s find out… come to Switzerland

Plenty of CS owners over there regularly attending track days.
You will not have problems finding one to play with
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2021, 10:59 AM   #112
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaBum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafrosty View Post
Looking at the G8X forum activity/comments and G8X's that have sat on my local dealers lots even during this car shortage, I'd argue there is way more than 50% against. After briefly driving a Sao Paulo G82, there's no question the car performs better than my F80 and the interior is stunning, but that's about it.

Preference differs, but there's not one exterior line on the car that is more attractive than an F8X CS model. Even if your anecdotal "50% for" sample size poll number is correct, I believe there's significantly less people willing to put money down for a G8X; yet the F8X keeps marching up in resale. My guess, in one year your used G80 could be worth less than your used F80 CS.
Lul, literally all semi-desirable used performance cars have gone up in resale this year. It's NOT an F80 thing. It's FOMO Covid market hysteria.
This is the latest cope from the G80 detractor's club.

"I live in a RICH area and I ALWAYS see nice cars and I haven't seen a SINGLE G80 so they're FAILING and BMW is going to go BANKRUPT because they made a car I think is UGLY."

Now that it's been shown time and again that the G80 outperforms the F80 all they have left is repetitive beaver jokes and anecdotal evidence.
Appreciate 5
Sedan_Clan25113.50
acre22f90529.00
JTO245276.00
khanyam4801.50
      06-13-2021, 11:27 AM   #113
NinjaBum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Java Green F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialogical View Post
This is the latest cope from the G80 detractors club.

"I live in a RICH area and I ALWAYS see nice cars and I haven't seen a SINGLE G80 so they're FAILING and BMW is going to go BANKRUPT because they made a car I think is UGLY."

Now that it's been shown time and again that the G80 outperforms the F80 all they have left is repetitive beaver jokes and anecdotal evidence.
It happens every generation with every car.
"Oh I don't like the E9x M3. It has a V8, boo. I'll keep my E46"
"I don't like the F80. I can't stand turbo cars, they should have kept it a V8 or NA V6. I'll keep my E46 and/or E92."
"The 992 Carrera is ugly as fk. I like the classy looking styling of my 991."

If you gave them the option of swapping their F80 for a G80, any color any options straight up or getting their same F80 brand new again zero miles, I'm sure there are some who would pick the F80. It is a pretty car. Buuut I think in reality a lot of "I'd never buy the G80" F80 owners would take a G80 in that scenario.

Maybe not as many of the low mile cars and coffee instagrammers, but definitely a lot of track drivers and folks who care more about performance and actual driving than looks.
Appreciate 2
IB M2782.00
      06-13-2021, 11:43 AM   #114
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
F80 owner here and planning to keep the car long term. It is a special car. It was love at first sight during the launch in 2015. Similar IMO to the E46M owners here wishing they kept theirs.

Why?
- looks
- performance is good enough, great overall
- fun to drive, torquey, raw
- analog gauge cluster, last ever
- analog emergency brake, last ever
- available DCT is more raw, last ever
- looks
- overall presence and size
- did I mention looks and presence and size???

I might lease the G80 for three years to drive to work, to haul kids, to hoon at the track, add a mountain bike or ski roof rack, great all around daily driver … BUT I'd never own it long term. The overall visual presence and design appeal just isn't there for me.

Let's revisit this thread in 2031 if we are still alive to compare used G80 and F80 prices. My bet is the F80 holds up while the G80 falls hard like all M5 gens post the E39M. Btw - clean E46Ms will be bringing over a $100k.
Appreciate 1
Jamongkad239.00
      06-13-2021, 12:00 PM   #115
NinjaBum
Private First Class
Rep

Basically all clean M3s bottom out at some natural resting point and then the rarer optioned cars head up forever. You could get E46s in the low 20s at one point. You just kind of expect it. Just about any M3 that's 15-20 years old is worth more at year 15 than it was at year 7. The new versions will drive down the previous gen, then people who wanted that gen will seek them out in earnest 15 years down the road. When we have electric M3s in 20 years you'd have to be a fool to think petrolheads won't be seeking out F80s, G80s, etc. If the G80 were the last pure petrol engined M3 that makes it even more special. Just gotta see how it all plays out.

If you like a car and you feel a special connection with it then keep it. Otherwise you'll be sitting around 15 years from now kicking yourself like me after I sold my Z3M Coupe. If you are just trying to justify not getting another potentially special car just cause you'd rather not spend the coin and you have to reassure yourself that you like your current car better, though, then I think you're doing yourself a disservice. Some people will fall into bucket A, and others will fall into bucket B.

I do feel like most of the people who feel the need to troll the G80 forums with "lul ugly" posts fall into the second bucket. Clearly most people who are that dedicated to it are seeking validation and trying to convince themselves and others of something so pointless to discuss at this point.
Appreciate 3
F87EVO4033.00
JTO245276.00
khanyam4801.50
      06-13-2021, 12:24 PM   #116
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

That was really fun to watch. Except for his stupid comments on the front of it. I’ve about to head enough of that from the diehards.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 12:34 PM   #117
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
F80 owner here and planning to keep the car long term. It is a special car. It was love at first sight during the launch in 2015. Similar IMO to the E46M owners here wishing they kept theirs.

Why?
- looks
- looks

I might lease the G80 for three years to drive to work, to haul kids, to hoon at the track, add a mountain bike or ski roof rack, great all around daily driver … BUT I'd never own it long term. The overall visual presence and design appeal just isn't there for me.

Let's revisit this thread in 2031 if we are still alive to compare used G80 and F80 prices. My bet is the F80 holds up while the G80 falls hard like all M5 gens post the E39M. Btw - clean E46Ms will be bringing over a $100k.
As someone new to the BMW game and having no dog in this hunt I can honestly say having driven the F80 and the G80 and looked at both there is just no comparison. The G80 blows the F80 away in all categories. Speed, handling, technology and as far as I’m concerned looks. The F80 was like shifting a dump truck. It was that violent. Why some of you enjoy that is beyond me. It is a good looking car though and I strongly considered buying a slightly used one but it wasn’t as fast or stable as my tuned C450 and like I said before the shifting sucked so I passed. I think most of you that claim to hate the front of this new G80 are more upset that BMW had the audacity to radically change the front more than you are thinking it doesn’t look good. Ask anyone that doesn’t give a crap about BMW or cars in general what they think of the car and they will all tell you it looks bad ass. That plus most of you that claim to hate it are more than likely emotionally and or financially invested in the older versions. Certain type of men have a difficult time with change. I’m not saying that some of you genuinely don’t like it because I can even remember back in 1982 there were certain men that thought Heather Locklear was ugly. Lol. I suppose in the end beauty is subjective. However the ultimate judge is going to be money. Sales will say everything. Let’s see what happens. Will the G80 sell more than the F80? I bet it does. Significantly more. It attracted me away from buying an E63 or the M5. That in itself should say something from an independent non-BMW fan boy.

Last edited by Patton250; 06-13-2021 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 6
Sedan_Clan25113.50
bri10425940.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
JTO245276.00
khanyam4801.50
      06-13-2021, 12:58 PM   #118
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Why?
- looks
- looks

I'm glad you like the F80 - it's a good looking car.

Not sure where you're getting off with the depreciation comment though …F80s sunk hard, just like all German luxury cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 03:00 PM   #119
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Quote:

Why?
- looks
- looks

As someone new to the BMW game and having no dog in this hunt I can honestly say having driven the F80 and the G80 and looked at both there is just no comparison. The G80 blows the F80 away in all categories. Speed, handling, technology and as far as I'm concerned looks. The F80 was like shifting a dump truck. It was that violent. Why some of you enjoy that is beyond me. It is a good looking car though and I strongly considered buying a slightly used one but it wasn't as fast or stable as my tuned C450 and like I said before the shifting sucked so I passed. I think most of you that claim to hate the front of this new G80 are more upset that BMW had the audacity to radically change the front more than you are thinking it doesn't look good. Ask anyone that doesn't give a crap about BMW or cars in general what they think of the car and they will all tell you it looks bad ass. That plus most of you that claim to hate it are more than likely emotionally and or financially invested in the older versions. Certain type of men have a difficult time with change. I'm not saying that some of you genuinely don't like it because I can even remember back in 1982 there were certain men that thought Heather Locklear was ugly. Lol. I suppose in the end beauty is subjective. However the ultimate judge is going to be money. Sales will say everything. Let's see what happens. Will the G80 sell more than the F80? I bet it does. Significantly more. It attracted me away from buying an E63 or the M5. That in itself should say something from an independent non-BMW fan boy.
Vote with your wallet - Buy what you like. I've got two F80s so I am biased.

You won't convince me the G80s better overall and I won't convince you the F80 is worth a shit. Doesn't matter it's like Burger King - have it your way.
Appreciate 2
GERMAN M34181.00
      06-13-2021, 03:06 PM   #120
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Why?
- looks
- looks

Not sure where you're getting off with the depreciation comment though …F80s sunk hard, just like all German luxury cars.
My comment is about 10 years from now - so not talking about over the curb 1st year depreciation.

That said right now a used 4 year old 2018 F80 with 15k miles is worth $65k plus or more. Guys coming out of F80 leases are Money positive.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 03:25 PM   #121
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why?
- looks
- looks

My comment is about 10 years from now - so not talking about over the curb 1st year depreciation.

That said right now a used 4 year old 2018 F80 with 15k miles is worth $65k plus or more. Guys coming out of F80 leases are Money positive.
…because we are in an unprecedented high water mark for used car prices. There's nothing to suggest the F80 is doing any better with resale than anything else right now.
Appreciate 5
///AVM2529.50
Sedan_Clan25113.50
JTO245276.00
      06-13-2021, 03:52 PM   #122
NinjaBum
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah the F80 is just coasting on that wave right now. A few years from now 2018s will be in the 40s if I was betting. Probably down into the 30s a couple of years after that. I could see the market plateau there and climb back up though.

Trying to tout any resale values this year as normal is disingenuous. Have fun thinking your F80s are appreciating assets in terms of value in the medium term. 15-20 years from now they will probably be climbing back to the 50s and 60s, but of course thats in future dollars.
Appreciate 2
JTO245276.00
      06-13-2021, 04:09 PM   #123
CRtoE92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Melbourne red

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
CS owners in general seem to be very protective of their badge? Progress is always great!
Just the $700 monthly lease owners
So you are a leasee, not owner

I had two CSs because of its low lease payment. I enjoyed my 18 M4 comp in manual more
Appreciate 1
JTO245276.00
      06-13-2021, 05:05 PM   #124
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Quote:

Why?
- looks
- looks

As someone new to the BMW game and having no dog in this hunt I can honestly say having driven the F80 and the G80 and looked at both there is just no comparison. The G80 blows the F80 away in all categories. Speed, handling, technology and as far as I'm concerned looks. The F80 was like shifting a dump truck. It was that violent. Why some of you enjoy that is beyond me. It is a good looking car though and I strongly considered buying a slightly used one but it wasn't as fast or stable as my tuned C450 and like I said before the shifting sucked so I passed. I think most of you that claim to hate the front of this new G80 are more upset that BMW had the audacity to radically change the front more than you are thinking it doesn't look good. Ask anyone that doesn't give a crap about BMW or cars in general what they think of the car and they will all tell you it looks bad ass. That plus most of you that claim to hate it are more than likely emotionally and or financially invested in the older versions. Certain type of men have a difficult time with change. I'm not saying that some of you genuinely don't like it because I can even remember back in 1982 there were certain men that thought Heather Locklear was ugly. Lol. I suppose in the end beauty is subjective. However the ultimate judge is going to be money. Sales will say everything. Let's see what happens. Will the G80 sell more than the F80? I bet it does. Significantly more. It attracted me away from buying an E63 or the M5. That in itself should say something from an independent non-BMW fan boy.
Vote with your wallet - Buy what you like. I've got two F80s so I am biased.

You won't convince me the G80s better overall and I won't convince you the F80 is worth a shit. Doesn't matter it's like Burger King - have it your way.
No need to convince you.

It factually is.
Appreciate 3
02M3ForMe4261.50
khanyam4801.50
      06-13-2021, 11:14 PM   #125
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
^^^
Yeah yeah the G80 is factually faster by a few percents. Same for other "performance" metrics yada yada …

Also 100% factual that the F80 is better "overall" for many forum members. Intangibles: design, rawness, looks, analog bits, blah blah blah

Enjoy your G80 and give me a head start if we drag race. Did u keep the F87?

BTW - is it lost that any F80 owner here could trade-out for a G80 if they wanted ??
Appreciate 1
A4W87.00
      06-14-2021, 01:17 AM   #126
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F80 - ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
"Epic" video! (Turn on closed captions for some Easter egg commentary.)

I told skeptical local members of BMWCCA ... this is the M3 the engineers of all of the old cars were trying to build.

Regardless of what you think of the grilles, if you're a fan of the brand, you owe it to yourself to take one out on a vigorous test drive. Just drive it!
I can't, I won't. It may drive like a Ferrari and I may love the vigorous test drive...but I cannot see myself parking one and looking back the way I look at my E46 and F80. I would park where no one sees me, I'd have no pride in owning one. Looks are an important aspect for a few of us.
Appreciate 3
IB M2782.00
URG8RB826.00
      06-14-2021, 01:27 AM   #127
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

I think most of the grille-haters harbor deep resentment for the G8x because it isn’t the widebody, more chiseled baby M8 easy layup that we’d typically see. (I agree that would’ve been epic.) As was mentioned, most people outside of BMW culture respond favorably to the car. We have lots of evidence of BMW M winning back customers from Audi, Mercedes, GTR, and even American muscle.

Most importantly. This car drives too good to fail, and too good to not bring back true M enthusiasts in the long run.

I was initially swayed by the intense negative reaction and intended to skip this generation or get in late after the seemingly inevitable massive depreciation. Then I drove it. I was legitimately shocked by the grip and the steering sharpness and the way the chassis stayed sturdy through high-G corners ... it had the signature of “high-end sports car” when I was expecting something completely different based on the weight and size. I bought the M2C because it corrected everything I disliked about the F82 drive, and I was surprised that the “boat” G8x actually moved things forward from there. Easy trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CachacoF80 View Post
I can't, I won't. It may drive like a Ferrari and I may love the vigorous test drive...but I cannot see myself parking one and looking back the way I look at my E46 and F80. I would park where no one sees me, I'd have no pride in owning one. Looks are an important aspect for a few of us.
OK.
Appreciate 5
Sedan_Clan25113.50
Patton2502939.50
JTO245276.00
khanyam4801.50
      06-14-2021, 05:42 AM   #128
TigahRouge
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05X5,G82C, Ram 1500

Randy said the G80 is the best driving BMW he has driven in 10 years!! We know his opinion is unbiased!!
Appreciate 3
02M3ForMe4261.50
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      06-14-2021, 06:23 AM   #129
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CachacoF80 View Post
Pills, whiskey and self-help tapes. That’s what I recommend. Either that or find a new brand of vehicle to love because this grille is here to stay and you are now in the minority.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 06:33 AM   #130
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
I think most of the grille-haters harbor deep resentment for the G8x because it isn’t the widebody, more chiseled baby M8 easy layup that we’d typically see. (I agree that would’ve been epic.) As was mentioned, most people outside of BMW culture respond favorably to the car. We have lots of evidence of BMW M winning back customers from Audi, Mercedes, GTR, and even American muscle.

Most importantly. This car drives too good to fail, and too good to not bring back true M enthusiasts in the long run.

I was initially swayed by the intense negative reaction and intended to skip this generation or get in late after the seemingly inevitable massive depreciation. Then I drove it. I was legitimately shocked by the grip and the steering sharpness and the way the chassis stayed sturdy through high-G corners ... it had the signature of “high-end sports car” when I was expecting something completely different based on the weight and size. I bought the M2C because it corrected everything I disliked about the F82 drive, and I was surprised that the “boat” G8x actually moved things forward from there. Easy trade.

OK.
Well put. I came from Mercedes. I was all set to take the deep plunge into an 2021 E63 trading up from my tuned C450. Then I saw this new G80. I also read about the new suspension. Because I had driven a couple F80s and my wife’s breasts just about fell off driving around in it. Don’t get me wrong it’s fun to drive but it would totally suck as a daily for me. I like being able to push buttons and make the car go from comfort mode to sports plus mode that’s actually noticeable. There is no comfort mode in an F80. As far as looks, I’m about to use BMW blasphemy here. Lol. I was never that crazy about the 3 series kidney grills to begin with. I think they are good looking cars and I’ve always liked BMW but I always thought Audi and Mercedes were much better looking. So I’m totally coming from the outside here. Having said this I really think this new M3/ G80 is the best looking BMW I’ve ever seen. By far actually. I suppose it’s easy for me to think that since I have not been emotionally tied to the previous generations or to the brand in general. As far as driving it goes it’s every bit as fast and more fun to drive then the E63 and leagues better then the C63. I realize the E63 is a level up and that’s supposed to be compared to the M5 but that’s what I was comparing to the G80 when I was making my buying decision. It was the looks of the G80 that sold me in the end. I am very lucky I got an allocation for one. They are very difficult to get here in Florida. I’m not saying you can’t get one but it would be much easier to buy an E63 or C63.
Appreciate 3
02M3ForMe4261.50
IB M2782.00
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      06-14-2021, 07:12 AM   #131
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
^^^
It's good to see others views and new people coming into the BMW brand. I've heard first hand of other converts as well.

You have to buy what you like. After taking 5 new BMWs off dealer lots in the last 10 years and having never owned an Audi - If I was going electric right now i'd take the Audi Etron GT over the BMW I4. We are all lucky to have choices.

Good luck to the G80 - hope it sells well.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      06-14-2021, 07:39 AM   #132
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

This review honestly is making me reconsider an m3 again.

Been owning BMWs for past 20 years and moved away this past year to Tesla.

However I miss driving a rwd platform and was looking at Caymans but the fact that I can't take my kids kind of soured me on 2 seaters for time being.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25113.50