BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

06-07-2021, 08:21 AM   #1
hsb100
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 MC Edition

New M4 - Track car Owner

Hi, just picked up a M4 Comp in Brooklyn Grey with Silver interior. I was getting tired of my wife using my GT3RS on track and decided she and I needed a better daily for some fun and it will become her dedicated track fun car.

Some great threads already posted with good information, looking forward to learning more and modifying this M4 Comp so it can be as good as all the other cars on track.

I loved that BMW asked for pictures and video of it on track, so cool they support the track beating these cars will get just like Porsche do.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 08:55 AM   #2
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Welcome! The car is going to be a lot of fun to drive on track as well.

Grab the attached PDF from this thread (https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1831714) and take a look at my post (https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=17) about the brake duct covers specifically.

The stock BMW-spec Pirelli P-Zero tires I'm not a fan of on the track. You can get a good speed out of them but they start losing their consistency quicker than expected if it's too hot out.

If you have the BMW-spec PS4S, you're lucky and it should do better. I'd like to hear the feedback on those. There are supposed to be Cup 2 tires available for the car as well, but who knows with the nation-wide tire backorders. I would definitely try to get those if you're going for a whole weekend to the track.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2021, 09:32 AM   #3
hsb100
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Awesome thanks for the info on the brake duct covers, those will be thrown out immediately.

The car came is PS4's but the goal is to run a staggered setup so the wife can eventually run some used slicks ive got in 275 19's, we will run it stock after brake fluid and pad change if I can find any pads this month LOL.

Only thing I don't like about the car is the wallowing like a big wale, the M Modes don't appear to change the handling much with the mode on.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 09:56 AM   #4
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Do you mean a square setup? As the car should already staggered with 275/19" and 285/20"

Stock fluid and pads were great for me with two days of 100F air temperature and with the brake duct covers in place. I was on a <3 mile track with three pretty heavy braking areas, but you might have issues with better tires or tighter tracks. Tires gave up long before I got any hint of brake fade or a mushy pedal.

The TPMS pressure and temperature sensor in "track mode" for the center display is very useful to keep an eye on.

I haven't noticed any wallowing at least in MDM and my M3. A slight squirm when the tires are overheating and ABS kicks in under full braking, but that's pretty standard. I'd have the control arms looked over during a tech inspection, maybe Hans or Günter were drunk when they torqued those down during assembly.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #5
hsb100
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Do you mean a square setup? As the car should already staggered with 275/19" and 285/20"

Stock fluid and pads were great for me with two days of 100F air temperature and with the brake duct covers in place. I was on a <3 mile track with three pretty heavy braking areas, but you might have issues with better tires or tighter tracks. Tires gave up long before I got any hint of brake fade or a mushy pedal.

The TPMS pressure and temperature sensor in "track mode" for the center display is very useful to keep an eye on.

I haven't noticed any wallowing at least in MDM and my M3. A slight squirm when the tires are overheating and ABS kicks in under full braking, but that's pretty standard. I'd have the control arms looked over during a tech inspection, maybe Hans or Günter were drunk when they torqued those down during assembly.
Thanks! Squared will be tires mainly as I will need another set of wheels when the slicks get mounted.

I will change the fluid to a 4.1 this weekend just to be on the safe side as my wife is known to be very hard on the brakes lol.

The wallowing I felt was when i drove harder in the local turns and there was some strong movement, this might be down to all the new rubber bushings still bedding in, clearly this can't compare to my other car as very different animals.
Appreciate 0