BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-24-2021, 11:27 AM   #1
comebackid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competiton, 2021 X7

Did you consider other cars? Why the M3/M4?

I have been thinking about what my next car was going to be the past few months as my lease would be nearing an end in late December. I had it down to 2 choices:

C8 Corvette
M4 Competition xDrive

Corvette: To me it looks like an exotic supercar with a price below $80K with 2LT, Z51 and magride. I placed my deposit in early June at the largest Corvette dealer in the U.S. Expected delivery in the winter. I sat in it at a dealer over a year ago and was impressed with the interior. Definitely has that wow factor.

M4: The interior seemed more refined. I've been through quite a few BMW's since 2007 including an E92 M3. I was always impressed with their combination of interior and performance. I have a one year old so I have to factor in a 2+2 seater for convenience even though we have an SUV. Even though the dealer wouldn't budge on price (paying MSRP), he did buy out my 540i with 3 months left of payments and waived the bubble in one tire and some acorn damage if I placed an order. I could only pull that off at a BMW dealership. That was huuuuge! Saved over $3K. Plus with other incentives, it will put me around the same cost as the Corvette.

It was a tough decision. The M4 may not look as exotic as the C8 (sometimes too much attention can be a bad thing). However, same cost with comparable performance plus a better interior, 2+2 seater, potential for less problems (tranny issues with the C8) was enough for me to place the M4 order.

The 440i xDrive was on the list as well, but after sitting in it, the merino leather and more sinister looks of the M4 was too good to pass up.

Anyone else had another car in mind before you made the move to the M3/M4?

Last edited by comebackid; 09-24-2021 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 11:58 AM   #2
dJt3xtbook
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82

Like many other people, I grew up wanting an M3 as a kid (amongst many other cars), but obviously something I couldn't make happen.

As I grew up into a young lad, new M3s were out of my price range and it was hard to avoid thinking of all the issues I could encounter purchasing a used Euro vehicle out of warranty. Owning a BMW/M3 was just a distant dream.

Fast forward some years and I hear of this new 4 series (F32 series). I instantly fell in love, but I was driving a vehicle that was fully paid off that was 100% mechanically sound and didn't know if it was the best decision to start off car payments again. I patiently admired F32s on the road and that was that.

A few years after that, my paid off daily driver is still running well, but I just want something new. I decide you know what, I should treat myself. I start shopping around and decide an F82 is not very practical and start getting quotes on a 440i GC. This process took about 2-3 weeks and I'm literally almost about to pull the trigger and it happens....The company I worked at for years is going to close it's doors in a few months and I'd be out of a job. Thank God I didn't sign the paperwork and yet again, still not a BMW owner.

After the company shut down, I took a few months off from working and finally got back into the 9-5 world. After I determined I was financially stable again, I decided it's back to looking at the 440i GC again. Lo and behold, now I'm seeing news of the brand new G series. Didn't really make sense to pull the trigger now and then have the 'old' model in a few months. Patiently waited again.

I was strongly considering the M440i, but I decided I've been patient long enough. I saved on tons of car payments over the years and figured if I waited this long, might take it up a notch and get the G82....and here I am.

My other option was a Porsche Cayenne, but honestly, 98% of the time I'm driving it's just me and my girlfriend with little to no cargo and just couldn't justify an SUV. Macan was a potential option as well, but they were badly in need of a refresh. Lastly were either a C or E series AMG, but couldn't let my childhood dreams of owning an M series die if I had a choice.
Appreciate 2
2011ninja3399.00
PLF693767.50
      09-24-2021, 12:08 PM   #3
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

My parents have a C8, as well as having had the 3 versions prior and tried to talk me in to one. It's a sexy looking car for sure with a killer engine. As a daily driver though I don't think it's very practical and there are some places like work where I'd prefer to not pull in in something looks like a supercar. At least to the non car people an M4 blends in some.

When grille-gate started last year I was going to get an AMG C63 coupe until MB decided to stop bringing coupes to the US. Luckily for BMW there aren't a lot of other things in the class for the money.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 12:31 PM   #4
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
I considered the Audi RS6, M5 Comp/CS, Porsche 718 GT4 or GTS among others. Ultimately, the color, and styling of the car are what made me go for it. Audi is nice but I can't get over a few things on the RS6 despite loving wagons, M5 is great but I prefer a smaller sedan, GT4 is great all around, getting one is tough and my wife wasn't quite in board with it
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
khai Dow336.00
      09-24-2021, 01:11 PM   #5
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

The C8 Corvette simply isn't practical for a lot of people and it's not a 4 season vehicle. With xDrive the M3/4 is now a pretty versatile performance vehicle. The RS4/5 are the only other vehicles in the range that are as versatile but like most Audi's they are more jack of all trades than exciting IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 01:21 PM   #6
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

I didn't seriously consider anything else. I mulled over a few, but nothing else was seriously considered.

As an aside, I just can't get behind the C8. The side profile of the car is terrible IMO. It doesn't absolutely nothing for me. Maybe its just me.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 01:26 PM   #7
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

I considered nothing else and again I considered nothing else when I got my 2nd G80.

Im all out of consideration.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 4
      09-24-2021, 01:32 PM   #8
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
I just sold my F92 this week, and I am most likely ordering a G82. I am looking, but I don't think there's anything else out there that I like.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 01:42 PM   #9
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
M5C and X5/6 MC , utility of SAV as a daily and fun car, would be only vehicle due to price $125k vs M3 $90k , both my spec
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 02:09 PM   #10
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
I just sold my F92 this week, and I am most likely ordering a G82. I am looking, but I don't think there's anything else out there that I like.
What made you sell the f92? I'm currently lusting after one of those, even thinking about trading my car in if I could get some reasonable deal between the two of them. Huge step up in price and everything obviously.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 02:14 PM   #11
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
What made you sell the f92? I'm currently lusting after one of those, even thinking about trading my car in if I could get some reasonable deal between the two of them. Huge step up in price and everything obviously.
Essentially, I had been thinking about doing something different, and an offer came in that I couldn't refuse.

I really enjoyed the M8, but it's a truly different animal than G80/G82, super fast in a straight line, but not really nimble handling. Loved the luxury of it, but in the end I thought it was kind of soulless. I'm hoping the G82 will bring at least a little of that back.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 02:40 PM   #12
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

I came from a Nissan GTR Black Edition, and was waiting to see if the prices would normalized before buying another. However, that never happened, and instead I was seeing MSRP mark ups of up to $30K; that's paying $150K before tax and license for a car that I already drove and that it virtually has not changed since its R35 introduction back in 2008.

The M4 Comp. xDrive was a far, far second option. But once I saw it in person and did a quick research on the internet, it was a no-brainer. I saved more than $60K for a car that potentially has the same performance up to FBO, can actually carry 4 passengers, has much better interior and technology, comes with a better warranty, and the customer service of a BMW dealership (too early to tell if that is better)
Once I drove it off the lot, I also realized, the transmission is smother, faster through the gears, less clunky, and noisy, the ride was more comfortable, and brakes more sensitive (set to the highest level).

What I'll be missing from the GTR:
- The looks
- Exhaust sound
- Bragging rights that IF money is no object, it is the fastest (next to the Lambos) at "Airstrip Attack" 1/2mi. competitions.
Appreciate 1
sleepdoc257.50
      09-24-2021, 02:46 PM   #13
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I considered every car with a 6MT. A lot of them were dismissed VERY quickly due to being deeply slow and too down-market (materials- and features-wise).

The Camaro was dismissed a few years ago due to packaging issues.

The Mustang (GT350 or try to get a Mach 1) was a strong contender but I hate the inside of them. I'd rather wrestle with how I feel about the nose of the G80 than deal with an unpleasant interior. That being said, and despite not owing any US Domestic cars since my last horrid rust bucket died in 1991, the higher-end Mustangs were strong contenders.

Trading my M2C DCT for an M2C 6MT was a strong thought for a while, but there were things I wasn't satisfied with about my M2C (the interior to a lesser extent than the Mustang, road noise, and there were days when the driving precision wasn't worth the suspension harshness...not many days, but some). The M2CS was too expensive for it's interior, and I like the center console storage and comfort access too much.

Waiting to see what Cadillac would bring with the new Blackwings was on my list, but I didn't have enough information when I needed to make a choice. And I dislike Cadillac styling more than I dislike the nose of my Frog. Having seen the interior of it, I'm happy with my choice as it looks like Cadillac was just stealing the F80 interior and reskinning it a bit. And the CT5 is too big. I'd love to drive one, and I'd buy the CT4 BW if I didn't have any other option that worked...but I'm glad I don't have to go that route.

The Charger doesn't work for me, exterior-wise, at all. The Challenger's doors are too big and I've seen like 8 of them crashed (392's and Hellcats) in the last two years. I've also had multiple Hellcats fail to appear impressive when attempting to spank my M2C on normal roads...they just aren't balanced enough or capable of using their own power enough. I'm not the Straight Pipes dudes...a supercharger whine isn't enough. Also, too big.

Cayman 6MT's at various trim levels. I'm a one-car human. My only option if I'm not driving MY car is my SO's 530e...which is dandy in its own right, but not fun. The Cayman would be a serious compromise and I just couldn't go there...especially at the MSRP it ends up at when I option it the way I'd like it to be set up.

Lightly-used F80 - Probably the strongest option I didn't go with. None were available when I was seriously looking. Too many DCT's, zero-option 6MT's, or higher-mileage-than-I-was-willing-to-buy.

So, very happy with my Frog.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 03:09 PM   #14
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
I considered nothing else and again I considered nothing else when I got my 2nd G80.

Im all out of consideration.
That is because you already own everything else

I considered a GT4/997 GT3, X5MC, RS6 and a few others. The GT cars were not practical enough and the RS6 was beautiful, but not really a drivers car.

I am still looking at an X5MC as the ultimate compromise car and thinking about selling my M3. I ride MTB several times per week and the thought of either driving my '95 Tacoma every time or having to take the front wheel off to mount on a roof rack with the M3 is just not appealing. I own a Ram 2500 right now alongside my M3, but don't really want to keep both since I drive so little. Plan was to sell the Ram and just use the Tacoma when necessary, but I have realized that 95% of my driving is to go ride.

Last edited by Salespunk; 09-24-2021 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 2
Vic5519366.50
mattburks750.50
      09-24-2021, 05:13 PM   #15
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
For me it was Genesis G70 for value and Cadillac CT5 and CT4 V Blackwing.

Cadillac was too risky to buy. Not impressed with the dealer. RWD only. And not any better value than the m3.

Genesis didn't have a large enough back seat and I wanted a little more power. Saving a ton of money is a bit useless if I don't get the utility I want out of it.

I chose the m3 because I already own an older one and I love how the new one is larger and has xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 05:20 PM   #16
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

GT4 which i dismissed pretty soon as I needed/wanted a daily.

Alfa Giuila QV but lack of MT also sorted it out.

F8x but nearly impossible to find one in good conditions around here.

So...the G80 remained with 6 MT
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 05:22 PM   #17
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
OP, you were in a similar situation as me.

Before the summer, i wanted a new toy. (i have a c7 z06 as a toy already).

I wanted either a charger hellcat or a c8 stingray (as an intro before i get my c8 z06 which i'm already on the waiting list for).

When i finally decided ok i want this new toy. I searched for a hellcat charger, found good ones, decent dealers but colors and specs i didn't want. Then i started to browse their forum. Nothing but, "my car was broken into!!!!"

Because i live like 15 minutes from newark, having a hellcat charger parked on the street (which was my goal with this new toy), would make me go crazy. It's going to be a part time daily/part time fun car but it gets treated like a normal daily, meaning parked on the street at times lol. I didn't want to deal with being paranoid at night and possibly hearing the hellcat start at 2am because someone is stealing it lol. So i said fuck that, i wanna try to get the stingray.

Contacted the dealer i got my c7 z06 from. Right away, 12-18 months. Contacted 2 more dealers. Same thing, 12 months, MAYBE sooner but said that's not likely. I couldn't wait 12 months. If i did, that's about the same time frame as getting my c8 z06 since i'm in queue for a 1st MY z06.

So i said forget it, i'll just wait for the c8 z06.

Then i said, ok since those 2 cars are about the same price, what else in that price range should i get? Then i said, ok i think it's time for a luxury performance car. I started to look at BMW's.

Then it came down to 3 models. The M340, the M2, and the M3 (after i saw the M4, i knew i wanted the M3).

Then i figured if i'm going to get a BMW for the first time ever, might as well make it count, and skipped the M340 or the smaller M2 and got the M3 competition.
Appreciate 3
mattburks750.50
Limegrntaln13475.00
2011ninja3399.00
      09-24-2021, 05:25 PM   #18
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
The C8 Corvette simply isn't practical for a lot of people and it's not a 4 season vehicle. With xDrive the M3/4 is now a pretty versatile performance vehicle. The RS4/5 are the only other vehicles in the range that are as versatile but like most Audi's they are more jack of all trades than exciting IMO.

You can absolutely daily a corvette but space wise, it's not practical at all.

Some people have thrown winters on their C8 and daily it. The ME design of the car makes it basically an AWD car.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13475.00
      09-24-2021, 05:35 PM   #19
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

I was originally looking at F80's and they were bad value, too expensive for stuff out of warranty. Same issue with the Alfa QF along with possible reliability issues so just pulled the plug on the G80. Best value out of them all I figured!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 05:42 PM   #20
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
I came from a very tuned 340i That had an engine go out. The only other car I considered was the model 3 performance… and I bought and currently own that car for the last 2 months. About 3 weeks into ownership I decided "fuck this glorified Amazon fire tablet on wheels" when the screen would completely go out on me while driving on highway - not something you want happening in a 3.1 second 0-60 car. The call of the bmw came and 4 weeks into Tesla ownership I decided to fulfill my childhood dream of owning an M3. It was something I kept on trying to achieve by tuning and modding my 340 but it was never the same. I cannot wait to have the xdrive comp here so I can dump this piece of shit Tesla ASAP. Sorry for the Tesla anger - I've just had such a shitty experience with the car and with the company, I know many people who have and love the car and company so I think my situation is somewhat unique. But the G80 will be a true return to form of everything I love about driving while also retaining some of the positive elements of the Tesla with the DAPP and Parking pack.
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3399.00
      09-24-2021, 06:10 PM   #21
MTM3
mt4life
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

No one else makes 6MT 6 cylinder German/Japanese sedan. So, no
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 06:23 PM   #22
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80, Raptor, STI and C8

Quote:
Originally Posted by comebackid View Post
I have been thinking about what my next car was going to be the past few months as my lease would be nearing an end in late December. I had it down to 2 choices:

C8 Corvette
M4 Competition xDrive

Corvette: To me it looks like an exotic supercar with a price below $80K with 2LT, Z51 and magride. I placed my deposit in early June at the largest Corvette dealer in the U.S. Expected delivery in the winter. I sat in it at a dealer over a year ago and was impressed with the interior. Definitely has that wow factor.

M4: The interior seemed more refined. I've been through quite a few BMW's since 2007 including an E92 M3. I was always impressed with their combination of interior and performance. I have a one year old so I have to factor in a 2+2 seater for convenience even though we have an SUV. Even though the dealer wouldn't budge on price (paying MSRP), he did buy out my 540i with 3 months left of payments and waived the bubble in one tire and some acorn damage if I placed an order. I could only pull that off at a BMW dealership. That was huuuuge! Saved over $3K. Plus with other incentives, it will put me around the same cost as the Corvette.

It was a tough decision. The M4 may not look as exotic as the C8 (sometimes too much attention can be a bad thing). However, same cost with comparable performance plus a better interior, 2+2 seater, potential for less problems (tranny issues with the C8) was enough for me to place the M4 order.

The 440i xDrive was on the list as well, but after sitting in it, the merino leather and more sinister looks of the M4 was too good to pass up.

Anyone else had another car in mind before you made the move to the M3/M4?

Wait on the C8 Z06!!!
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13475.00
BGM-M3COMP2328.00