BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-08-2022, 07:06 PM   #45
Impulse20098
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5ALIVE View Post
On my 2020 G01 X3 M40, we could pull a fuse to disable ASD. Is that not a thing with G80?
No not a thing for the G80.

2022 - M3 xDrive Frozen Brilliant Metallic White
Appreciate 1
X5ALIVE58.50
      09-08-2022, 07:20 PM   #46
jummo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3CX 2023 x1

I've only had the car for 500 miles, but I don't notice much difference with the button on or off.
My 440 with the MPPSK was quite a bit louder and nowhere near as fast.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 07:42 PM   #47
brad65ford
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3

forgot i had bimmercodes and the odb2 module, so I turned off the ASD just now after reading this thread. Not sure if what some were suggesting here that the exhaust sound is amplified, but if so mines lower having DP's and single mid's lol. But long story short it seems to have worked just need more seat time to see what the ASD hides as well.. Meaning it could also be like white noise or noise cancelling ?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 01:42 AM   #48
davidmct-M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i with MPSSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jummo View Post
I've only had the car for 500 miles, but I don't notice much difference with the button on or off.
My 440 with the MPPSK was quite a bit louder and nowhere near as fast.
Same. Noise was far louder and more interesting
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 09:52 PM   #49
jummo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3CX 2023 x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmct-M3 View Post
Same. Noise was far louder and more interesting
I'm kinda liking quieter and faster. Your results may vary.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 12:06 AM   #50
Mapper
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo 335i View Post
It’s a manufactured artificial sound. Porsche is the only manufacturer I know that uses a sound tube to reroute real exhaust sound into the cabin.
My gla45 amg had a contraption built into the intake, back of engine to amplify the sounds into the cabin not from a music file if that is what you mean.
It drove me nuts to eventually buy an aftermarket intercooler and rip all that crap out. Solved.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 06:41 AM   #51
ChrisM4
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3coco View Post
ASD drove me crazy, and I wanted a little more authentic sound, so I got the Vsc2 valve controller to keep the valves open permanently. Sounded great, and I was able to manually turn the sound control off. But with the sound control off all the burbles went away, which was super depressing. Again, the valves were set to completely open.

I decided to code ASD off via bimmercode. I was a little confused as to if it worked or not, because all the interior drone disappeared, but I still heard the burbles when sound control button was on. When the button was off, the burbles went away again. All while the exhaust valves were fully open through the vsc2 controller.

I finally had my husband drive the car, so I could hear if it was an actual difference with the exhaust sound burbles or if ASD was truly not deactivated through bimmercode. Indeed the burbles were real, not fake sound being pumped in.

I guess I'm just confused as to how complex this "sound control" button thing is. Because if my ASD is coded off, and the valves are forced open, what is the variable giving it authentic burbles with the sound control button on (green light) vs off.

Just food for thought 🤔
The burbles outside the car are real and the piped in ASD also has burble noises. There are also different levels of burbles between sport plus and sport. (Sport plus has the most aggressive burbles, sport a bit less and efficient none)

If you code ASD off that doesn’t eliminate the actual burbles outside the car but does eliminate the piped in burble noises (and other synthetic sounds)

However if you push the sound button it reduces/turns off ASD, changes valve control and turns off the burbles.
      08-26-2023, 10:39 AM   #52
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM3 View Post
The burbles are real and the piped in ASD is also real. There are also different levels of burbles between sport plus and sport. (Sport plus has the most aggressive burbles, sport a bit less and efficient none)

If you code ASD off that doesn’t eliminate the actual burbles outside the car but does eliminate the piped in burble noises (and other synthetic sounds)

However if you push the sound button it reduces/turns off ASD, changes valve control and turns off the burbles.
What do you mean “ASD is also real”?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 12:03 PM   #53
ChrisM4
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
What do you mean “ASD is also real”?
Edited…what I meant was the burbles outside the car are real but the ASD also pipes in synthetic burble noises (along with drone/other frequencies)
      08-27-2023, 04:13 AM   #54
Joachim
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition X-Drive [2022]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM3 View Post
if you push the sound button it ..... changes valve control.......
Are you sure? I until now thought that the button is only to reduce/remove the acoustic effects via loudspeakers.
Thanks in advance for clarifying.
      08-27-2023, 07:36 AM   #55
ChrisM4
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
Are you sure? I until now thought that the button is only to reduce/remove the acoustic effects via loudspeakers.
It does…go to the back of the car with it idling and have someone push the button on the center console you can hear the valves closing.

Try it in Sports or Sports Plus and then hit the button.
      08-27-2023, 11:55 PM   #56
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
It's possible your car in Germany might behave the way you describe. I believe a few years ago German (and possibly other EU nations) law says that valve control can not increase outside noise levels like previous model years were allowed to do. I work with a lot of AMG owners and I know for sure that in recent years, the exact same AMG models have new software to keep their exhaust valves closed almost all the time and outside noise is disappointingly quiet compared to earlier years of the same model with the exact same engine, same exact exhaust parts, etc. AMG has decided to roll out their EU-compliant changes to cars here in the US so our cars behave the same way as the ones you have in Germany.

In the US, the G8x sound control button seems to change at least 3 things: 1. The tone and volume level of the audio file played through the speakers that sounds like an engine, burbles, etc, 2. Exhaust valves are open more of the time to allow more exhaust to bypass the rear muffler, 3. The engine tune is altered to create more real burbles during deceleration and the tuning changes may also change the exhaust tone by changing the engine's exhaust valve opening duration, overlap, turbo wastegate behavior, things like that.

If anyone is doubting that Active Sound Design is really an audio file and does not involve any microphones, you can use coding to change your car's ASD to sound like any other BMW model of your same generation. The same control unit goes in each car and the variant coding tells it which MP3 to play for us.

Last edited by Remonster; 08-28-2023 at 12:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
Joachim361.00
      08-28-2023, 07:17 AM   #57
Joachim
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
It's possible your car in Germany might behave the way you describe..
WOW! This forum and its members are great!

Now I remember that my earlier Alpina of 2014 (with Acrapovic) made a rampage at the cold start, amplified by the walls of the garage like in an ancient Greek amphitheater, that I always expected sticks and stones from the neighborhood. According to your detailed, solid information, the exhaust valves obviously were open these days, I'm sure. My M4 now is a whisperer compared to that car.

Interesting also AMG's decision to adept the European software for the newer US cars.

And, according to your last information, the sound control button in my M4 now is to be seen as a simple start button of an mp3 player. Earlier was better(tm).

Thank you as well, ChrisM3, for your testing advice. Still searching for a victim to assist me, but, as outlined above, the result will be disappointing.
      08-28-2023, 07:53 AM   #58
ChrisM4
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Now I remember that my earlier Alpina of 2014 (with Acrapovic) made a rampage at the cold start, amplified by the walls of the garage like in an ancient Greek amphitheater, that I always expected sticks and stones from the neighborhood. According to your detailed, solid information, the exhaust valves obviously were open these days, I'm sure. My M4 now is a whisperer compared to that car.

Interesting also AMG's decision to adept the European software for the newer US cars.

And, according to your last information, the sound control button in my M4 now is to be seen as a simple start button of an mp3 player. Earlier was better(tm).

Thank you as well, ChrisM3, for your testing advice. Still searching for a victim to assist me, but, as outlined above, the result will be disappointing.
Something you can do to improve sound is unbolt the exhaust valve controllers, zip tie the valves fully open, then install 3-4 washers on each bolt (depending on thickness) and space the valve controller out using the stock bolts. That way the ECM thinks everything is working fine (no codes as everything is plugged in and the valve controller operates) and you have improved exhaust sound.

Poor EU customer cars are completely restricted sound wise…you have 4 cats, 2 OPF and now it appears that the exhaust valves are closed.
      08-28-2023, 12:54 PM   #59
BeamerBoomer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4C xDrive

Quote:

No, this does not seem true. The sound button controls also in Germany the exhaust flap. As said, just open the windows or better, stay outside when somebody presses the pedal for you. There is a clear and sonor sound difference when opened. But it only happens if engine is in Sport or Sport+ mode, not when in efficient. The manual also talks about it. It says the button controls the exhaust sound (not the car/engine sound etc.) and that it is disabled as long as the car warms up. The latter would not make sense if they just play an MP3.
But yes, do not expect too much in any case. In Europe the sound might be tamed more than in the US, even I did not notice differences when driving G8x there or here honestly.

Last edited by BeamerBoomer; 08-28-2023 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
Joachim361.00
      08-29-2023, 06:50 AM   #60
Joachim
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoomer View Post
.......But it only happens if engine is in Sport or Sport+ mode, not when in efficient. The manual also talks about it. It says the button controls the exhaust sound (not the car/engine sound etc.) and that it is disabled as long as the car warms up..........

But yes, do not expect too much in any case. In Europe the sound might be tamed more than in the US, even I did not notice differences when driving G8x there or here honestly.
Thanks again, I now could verify this behavior exactly as you described it. PROVIDED THAT a Sport modus is working.
      08-31-2023, 05:18 PM   #61
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I thought ASD could be fully turned off in the idrive menus. Is this not the case?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 05:21 PM   #62
M3coco
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_g80_m3 View Post
I thought ASD could be fully turned off in the idrive menus. Is this not the case?
You can turn it off on your m1 and m2 settings. You can also push the button, but it won't be completely off. The only way to truly get it off 100% is to use something like bimmer code. If I am incorrect, please someone correct me, but I believe this to be accurate from what I have heard
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 05:25 PM   #63
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
You can turn it off on your m1 and m2 settings. You can also push the button, but it won't be completely off. The only way to truly get it off 100% is to use something like bimmer code. If I am incorrect, please someone correct me, but I believe this to be accurate from what I have heard
Ok I see. thanks for clarifying
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 07:42 AM   #64
bmoss1610
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp; 2022 M5 Comp

Quote:
ASD drove me crazy, and I wanted a little more authentic sound, so I got the Vsc2 valve controller to keep the valves open permanently. Sounded great, and I was able to manually turn the sound control off. But with the sound control off all the burbles went away, which was super depressing. Again, the valves were set to completely open.

I decided to code ASD off via bimmercode. I was a little confused as to if it worked or not, because all the interior drone disappeared, but I still heard the burbles when sound control button was on. When the button was off, the burbles went away again. All while the exhaust valves were fully open through the vsc2 controller.

I finally had my husband drive the car, so I could hear if it was an actual difference with the exhaust sound burbles or if ASD was truly not deactivated through bimmercode. Indeed the burbles were real, not fake sound being pumped in.

I guess I'm just confused as to how complex this "sound control" button thing is. Because if my ASD is coded off, and the valves are forced open, what is the variable giving it authentic burbles with the sound control button on (green light) vs off.

Just food for thought 🤔
Thanks! Have been trying to figure out what’s real and what’s not and whether ASD is separate from M Sound Control. I also have a controller and ASD coded off but even so with M Sound Control on, there is a small amount of fake exhaust sound in the car. There are now separate controls for the burbles and other things that I plan to play with and I’m wondering if those are separate from ASD, they don’t appear to be linked in bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 09:37 AM   #65
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoss1610 View Post
Thanks! Have been trying to figure out what’s real and what’s not and whether ASD is separate from M Sound Control. I also have a controller and ASD coded off but even so with M Sound Control on, there is a small amount of fake exhaust sound in the car. There are now separate controls for the burbles and other things that I plan to play with and I’m wondering if those are separate from ASD, they don’t appear to be linked in bimmercode.
If you still hear fake exhaust sounds, you didn’t code off ASD. It is a little more complicated than that Bimmercode toggle switch. Did you deactive the activation code, or just toggle ASD of in Bimmercode?
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 11:59 AM   #66
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3CS

Question, does turning off the Asm turns off the fake exhaust noise, but does it also get rid of the gear shift noise too or that stays?
Appreciate 0