BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-13-2023, 11:11 AM   #67
Juanero
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pcars, TOYcars, M3Cx

I had M5s on my walls as a kid. Almost 10 years ago, I went to buy a NSX, but instead saw a 911 turbo and bought it instead. After few Porsches, my mom visited and said she thought I would get a BMW growing up with the posters in my room. That actually made me check out Ms again. The M3 ticked a lot of boxes. Because the S58 is in other Bimmers and has been proving itself, I jumped in.
I don't like cars that require visits to the dealer or mechanics because I don't have time for that. My Porsches have all been reliable. Add the AWD and I was sold.
It's been 4 months, 4k miles with my M3 and I am enjoying it. My kids can ride in it. It cruises easily; eats up the miles, and got power on demand when I need it.
I'm not ready to make the EV plunge; and may never need to as Porsche is going to keep an ICE 911 forever.
Appreciate 2
Jim B1914.00
Needsdecaf6901.50
      09-13-2023, 11:29 AM   #68
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM3 View Post
Nice targeting of one manufacturer to bolster your argument. I’ve also driven Tesla’s and the feeling is the same. Enjoy your opinion and I’ll enjoy mine
Again, you're comparing a boring commuter car to a manual sports sedan.

I could pick any number of boring commuter cars. I picked one because it's available in EV and ICE, and the name rings. The comparison is valid across the section. They are ALL boring soulless cars, ICE or EV.

I agree, when you get into emotional cars, EV's start to lose out. Why do you think I bought a G80 instead of a Taycan? It's one of the big reasons.

I'm not saying you're not allowed to have an opinion, or even that I disagree. But at least make it apples to apples.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 08:25 AM   #69
Niko1Devynios
BMW N00b
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Comp xDrive

I drove my sister's Tesla for a total of three weeks when we've gone to visit over the last couple years. It was...fine. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it.

The biggest downside of the Tesla, for me, was the charging routine, since there was only one supercharger within 15 miles and it was constantly being used to the point that there were lines and we were capped at 80% capacity. Charging at home was almost useless. I apparently drive enough that it felt like I was playing catch-up everyday.

Like others have said, there's a certain soullessness to it, but like others, I cannot quantify it exactly. If I had to add another qualitative sentiment, I'll say that my sister is a "car person" as well. She's owned the CTS, Q60 Red Sport, Mustang GT, etc. Since she's bought the car, she doesn't drive all that much anymore.

To wit, on our most recent trip, I finally had enough of playing catch-up, went to Turo, and rented an F82 for the last few days of the trip. What a difference...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 12:15 AM   #70
nizona
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by r20 View Post
sorry i should clarify. You are 100% correct. No disrepect felt at all!
The worst part of the Tesla is the build quality and crappy interior.

But heres what i mean about luxury:

It took me 3 weeks to get an appointment for my oil change. I was at BMW, and i opened the tesla app to schedule a tire rotation. They came to my driveway the next day and did it. No other services of owning it.

The buying experience, i did everything on the app, no wasting time with the dealer.

If i'm home, and i need to go somewhere, i pull it up on my google maps at home and click "send to tesla". I jump in my car and its already there, cars already cooled, etc...

Other times, when i have a work meeting, i jump in my car, it knows from my calendar where i need to be.. same deal.. cars ready to go, maps on it.

Not having a key, sharing keys via text message.

Never having to see a gas station again.

Waiting at my kids sports practice, and being able to pull up netflix on the big screen monitor.

So daily creature comforts.

I really really really wish, BMW and Tesla merged. Where BMW designed the car, and Tesla did the software. To me, there would be nothing better...

What made you M? and not 911 or 330, etc..

i don't know. maybe i'm to blame for my bad selection of models. I am just done with with light steering wheels and stupid gesture gimmics.
Actually MyBMW app does most of this now. (In Germany) I can set a departure time to precool the car, schedule service in the app, and send directions to the bmw Navi before I start my trip.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 12:47 PM   #71
metalbmxer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6mt

This is the biggest reason for me here. Fits the bike perfectly, love the BMW feel, and of course the 6MT that very few brands even offer anymore
Attached Images

Las Vegas Board certified MD- Clinical Psychiatrist
Appreciate 4
Prossx293.00
bri10426107.50
      09-22-2023, 01:33 PM   #72
DNK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi A5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanero View Post
Porsche is going to keep an ICE 911 forever.
Just like they were going to keep air cooled engines forever?

It's good to be an optimist but I really doubt there will be another ICE 911 after the next generation (or maybe even this generation). It would not even be up to Porsche if the powers that be make it illegal to sell new ICE cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 08:44 AM   #73
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanero View Post
Porsche is going to keep an ICE 911 forever.
Don't think so...unless you're in your 80s and "forever" is just around the corner...
Appreciate 0