home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-30-2021, 10:29 PM   #1
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM M3C

Custom G8x M3/M4 exhaust system by some guys in the UK

This video clearly shows the exhaust system from below and he does a great job explaining what they are doing and trying to achieve. I am gonna work with a local guy who does a lot of custom titanium exhausts and see if we would be willing to create a mid pipe section with an X or H pipe at an affordable price.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 11:32 PM   #2
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

The s55 m4 sounded like shit when people would put x pipes. The m performance exhaust had an h pipe that I was a fan of.

I know they're different as the s58 sounds better I think it has EL pipes out of the factory, but in general these motors sound better with H pipes than X pipes. They're too naturally high pitched to benefit from a x pipe, the h pipe helps it sound deeper

Car in the vid sounds good
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 11:41 PM   #3
warcity
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Manual

Good video thanks for sharing. I deleted the primary resonator on my G82 today. Not much louder. Going back to delete the secondary cats.
      04-30-2021, 11:47 PM   #4
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmf8x View Post
The s55 m4 sounded like shit when people would put x pipes. The m performance exhaust had an h pipe that I was a fan of.

I know they're different as the s58 sounds better I think it has EL pipes out of the factory, but in general these motors sound better with H pipes than X pipes. They're too naturally high pitched to benefit from a x pipe, the h pipe helps it sound deeper

Car in the vid sounds good
Good to know, I will definitely bring it up when I get my custom mid pipes done. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an H merge in one of the resonators.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 12:48 AM   #5
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Don't understand why they would put all this effort into building a new exhaust for this car "from the OPF back". If you want the car to sound good, you first gotta remove the OPFs. While there's more volume to this aftermarket setup, you can still hear how muffled the tone is as a result of the OPFs. Not to mention they decided to edit in background music during the initial startup with the new exhaust .
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 12:50 AM   #6
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcai View Post
Don't understand why they would put all this effort into building a new exhaust for this car "from the OPF back". If you want the car to sound good, you first gotta remove the OPFs. While there's more volume to this aftermarket setup, you can still hear how muffled the tone is as a result of the OPFs. Not to mention they decided to edit in background music during the initial startup with the new exhaust .
Cool thing is the US market does not have to worry about the OPF. But I get your point.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 01:08 AM   #7
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM_G808 View Post
Cool thing is the US market does not have to worry about the OPF. But I get your point.
In the F90 the sound difference between NA and EU cars were huge after they started fitting OPFs and stuff to the EU cars after summer 2019. Not to mention NA cars retained the full-blown burble tune while that tune was completely eliminated after summer 2019 on EU cars.

But on the G80, I find there's minimal sound difference between the NA and EU spec cars. Burble tune is pretty much non-existent in both region cars, and they both sound pretty muffled. That's definitely a let-down on the G8X given the engine has a naturally lovely intake sound and revs high, so it has the potential to sound very good. Definitely need to fit a proper aftermarket exhaust to do the car some justice.
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0018923.00
      05-01-2021, 04:31 AM   #8
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcai View Post
simple:

They need to be legal.
Otherwise you won't sell a damn.

And OPF is mandatory in EU, soooo....
Appreciate 0