home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-26-2021, 12:48 PM   #1
r32e90
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Exhaust- standard vs competition

Sorry if this is a re-post. However I did a quick search and could not find anything definitive. Is there any difference in the standard exhaust versus the competition exhaust? Test drove the standard manual transmission and M3 a few days ago and I was surprised by the lack of burble or other exhaust notes. Very tame when compared to the F80 Which seem to burble every time you left off the accelerator a little bit.

Additionally what is the exhaust button do? When we pressed this button there did not seem to be any change in the exhaust flaps. The only thing that was noticed was a mild hum coming through the interior speakers.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 01:03 PM   #2
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by r32e90 View Post
Sorry if this is a re-post. However I did a quick search and could not find anything definitive. Is there any difference in the standard exhaust versus the competition exhaust? Test drove the standard manual transmission and M3 a few days ago and I was surprised by the lack of burble or other exhaust notes. Very tame when compared to the F80 Which seem to burble every time you left off the accelerator a little bit.

Additionally what is the exhaust button do? When we pressed this button there did not seem to be any change in the exhaust flaps. The only thing that was noticed was a mild hum coming through the interior speakers.
I have a competition and had a F80 competition. The burbles are there and more profound after the break-in service. Also when you have throttle response in sport plus. I just had mine done last week and noticed a big difference after the break-in service was complete. Also, just like the F80, you won't hear those burbles until the engine has warmed up some.

I also notice a considerable difference when the exhaust button is on.
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 03:39 PM   #3
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Even with the valves open they open more in each mode as they go up. Efficient opens the least and sport+ opens the most.
Appreciate 1
sJohnny264.00
      04-28-2021, 12:15 PM   #4
Wamion117
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by moproblems View Post
Even with the valves open they open more in each mode as they go up. Efficient opens the least and sport+ opens the most.
Does the drive logic modes effect this as well? It's not an option under the setup settings, you have to select it on the shifter

Just finished my break in today and was going to finally test the drive logic settings (I've been driving in sport plus on the break in but haven't altered the drive logic settings)
      04-28-2021, 12:53 PM   #5
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamion117 View Post
Does the drive logic modes effect this as well? It's not an option under the setup settings, you have to select it on the shifter

Just finished my break in today and was going to finally test the drive logic settings (I've been driving in sport plus on the break in but haven't altered the drive logic settings)
6mt here so no idea, but generally having driven an e46 m3 SMG drivelogic is generally only for shift firmness, but somebody may have more experience than I.
Appreciate 0