BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

02-23-2022, 06:13 PM   #1
JoshuaevansF87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Engine temperature high warning

Got a engine temp warning. I was aware of the issue I dropped my car off for downpipes and jb4 and my guy said I had a very small coolant leak from one of the hoses. It's not even leaking out it's more sweating there's no coolant leaking on the floor and I drove the car home fine. I ordered a replacement hose but outta stock until mid march anyone else have a issue like this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Patton2502939.50
      02-23-2022, 07:57 PM   #2
Grumpy514
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3X

Garage List
Did the coolant leak happen before or after the install? I know that map can be disturbed/removed from bracket when trying to access the MAP sensor which is below that.

Usually coolant gets crusty like that when it gets super hot. Perhaps an air pocket in coolant system? You ordered the rubber hose itself? Hopefully not an issue with your pump.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 08:06 PM   #3
JoshuaevansF87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy514 View Post
Did the coolant leak happen before or after the install? I know that map can be disturbed/removed from bracket when trying to access the MAP sensor which is below that.

Usually coolant gets crusty like that when it gets super hot. Perhaps an air pocket in coolant system? You ordered the rubber hose itself? Hopefully not an issue with your pump.
I guess it happened before install because he sent me those pics while he was installing the Jb4 and yeah I had the shop order a new hose. But I never had this come up before but I also haven't been driving the car much because winter months so I'm not really sure if it was leaking before.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 08:53 PM   #4
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
This is concerning because this isn't the first time i'm seeing an issue relating to coolant lost.

Not to mention i wonder about my car because i have the water temp gauge in my gauge pocket and sometimes i'll be driving and i see the temp gauge sit at 210F, then all of a sudden i see it drop down to what looks like to be in the 170-180F range. Then sometimes i'll see it a bit past 210F to what looks like 220F.

This is in current northeast weather so it's cold out. Plus when i'm noticing these odd readings i'm always on the move and not sitting at a light.

I don't smell coolant nor am i losing any. But now i feel like i gotta check all those hoses now.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 09:21 PM   #5
Grumpy514
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
This is concerning because this isn't the first time i'm seeing an issue relating to coolant lost.

Not to mention i wonder about my car because i have the water temp gauge in my gauge pocket and sometimes i'll be driving and i see the temp gauge sit at 210F, then all of a sudden i see it drop down to what looks like to be in the 170-180F range. Then sometimes i'll see it a bit past 210F to what looks like 220F.

This is in current northeast weather so it's cold out. Plus when i'm noticing these odd readings i'm always on the move and not sitting at a light.

I don't smell coolant nor am i losing any. But now i feel like i gotta check all those hoses now.
Thankfully a trained tech can usually tell if you have a coolant leak just by opening up the hood and taking a deep breath/smell. I've had so many vehicles come in where I will pop the hood for a check up & soon as the hood flys open you get a waft of coolant smell. It is very distinct. Ideally you want the car to be warm so the smell can permeate.

Hoping just some air pockets in these vehicles and nothing major..... When you vehicle is jumping around is it in between driving and coming to a stop or it's bouncing around while driving?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 04:30 AM   #6
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Thankfully a trained tech can usually tell if you have a coolant leak just by opening up the hood and taking a deep breath/smell. I've had so many vehicles come in where I will pop the hood for a check up & soon as the hood flys open you get a waft of coolant smell. It is very distinct. Ideally you want the car to be warm so the smell can permeate.

Hoping just some air pockets in these vehicles and nothing major..... When you vehicle is jumping around is it in between driving and coming to a stop or it's bouncing around while driving?
I came from modified cars my whole life, i too know when i have a coolant leak or something. That smell is very familiar to me lol.

The gauge isn't really jumping around per say, but if i notice my temp gauge at 210, then after a few minutes of highway driving i'll notice it below 210 (yes i know because of air flow while moving), but then randomly i'll see it past 210 as well. As if the reading is inaccurate showing random readings in your gauge cluster.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 04:39 AM   #7
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
I've actually smelled coolant, after running my car, hard a few times. I open the hood, and can't actually smell coolant under the hood. Not sure where its coming from, I've smelled it 2-3 times, and I'm not even 100% sure its my car.

But it just seems like a coincidence, that I would get done running it hard, and stop at a light with the windows down, sometimes with other cars around, and it smells like its coming from my car. I've never noticed any temperature issues, though.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 10:29 AM   #8
JoshuaevansF87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I started it up this morning and as soon as I started it I got engine temp warning. I turned it off disabled Jb4 turned it back on and same thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 12:11 PM   #9
JoshuaevansF87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update the reservoir tank was pretty much empty gonna refill it and wait till the hose comes in witch is about 3 weeks :
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 01:27 PM   #10
Grumpy514
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaevansF87 View Post
Update the reservoir tank was pretty much empty gonna refill it and wait till the hose comes in witch is about 3 weeks :
Yeah that's no good, it's possible it had an air pocket from factory after not properly being bled. Fill her up & pressure test the system.

I would say take it in to dealer to get looked at but with the mods you have...I'd talk to them first and see how they feels about mods being on there. Not going to have anything to do with them but dealerships are crooks.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 01:57 PM   #11
JoshuaevansF87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah that's no good, it's possible it had an air pocket from factory after not properly being bled. Fill her up & pressure test the system.

I would say take it in to dealer to get looked at but with the mods you have...I'd talk to them first and see how they feels about mods being on there. Not going to have anything to do with them but dealerships are crooks.
Idk about taking to it the dealer I don't think they'll like my mods lol once the hose comes in I have a shop that'll handle it. If I know the hose is leaking why is a pressure test necessary?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 02:10 AM   #12
Grumpy514
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Idk about taking to it the dealer I don't think they'll like my mods lol once the hose comes in I have a shop that'll handle it. If I know the hose is leaking why is a pressure test necessary?
Peace of mind. You don't have to have a leak test done but I usually like to find out about leaks myself than having a coolant light flash on to tell me when it has been spraying everywhere or possibly overheat the car. I would hope there are no other leaks but who knows. Replacing just that hose will probably be it.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2022, 02:41 AM   #13
smaglik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3 MT

Top the coolant off, and run the bleed procedure...i presume it's the same sequence as older electric coolant pumps?
Appreciate 1
Grumpy514624.50
      03-17-2022, 04:41 PM   #14
JoshuaevansF87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I ran the bleed procedure replaced a hose with a new one and after about five minutes of driving the engine temp came back on. I am running jb4 not sure if that has something to do with it. The car is showing engine temp too high but the code is reading engine temperature too low. Any ideas on what it can be?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 02:10 PM   #15
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I ran the bleed procedure replaced a hose with a new one and after about five minutes of driving the engine temp came back on. I am running jb4 not sure if that has something to do with it. The car is showing engine temp too high but the code is reading engine temperature too low. Any ideas on what it can be?
Your thermostat might be broken.
      03-18-2022, 02:15 PM   #16
JoshuaevansF87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Quote:
Your thermostat might be broken.
That's what I was thinking. The shop is telling me it could be a water pump and thermostat issue but they don't know for sure. Might just take off my mods and go to bmw
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 11:01 AM   #17
G80M3andMe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition

Any update on this? I have a JB4 hooked up and never have flashed a tune just using it for diagnostics in real time. My coolant Wiley fluctuates between 210-221 just easy driving I.e. cruising on the highway at 70mph getting 41 mpg and it still crawls up to 221. When I floor it the temps drop down to 164. Haven’t gotten a coolant warning. I am pretty sure I have air in my coolant because there is a toilet bowl pissing sound/you’ve just turned your tub to shower and can hear the air running through the pipe. I’ve cracked the coolant lid after running it hot and seen steam come out and watched the coolant surge up and flow back down as well. I bought a burping kit but couldn’t get it to burp. I can’t find the damn bleeder screw!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 11:13 AM   #18
JoshuaevansF87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80M3andMe View Post
Any update on this? I have a JB4 hooked up and never have flashed a tune just using it for diagnostics in real time. My coolant Wiley fluctuates between 210-221 just easy driving I.e. cruising on the highway at 70mph getting 41 mpg and it still crawls up to 221. When I floor it the temps drop down to 164. Haven’t gotten a coolant warning. I am pretty sure I have air in my coolant because there is a toilet bowl pissing sound/you’ve just turned your tub to shower and can hear the air running through the pipe. I’ve cracked the coolant lid after running it hot and seen steam come out and watched the coolant surge up and flow back down as well. I bought a burping kit but couldn’t get it to burp. I can’t find the damn bleeder screw!
The end result for me was that the JB4 was installed incorrectly and it was tricking the thermostat into not opening or closing so the car was running hot. I also did have a coolant leak in my hose that was fixed but I took everything off and went to Bmw and they reflashed the car and that did the trick. I am no longer running JB4
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 11:17 AM   #19
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80M3andMe View Post
On a side note…you’re able to get 41 mpg?! I have a 6MT and the best I’ve been able to do is 24.5 mpg at 70 mph or so.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 11:20 AM   #20
G80M3andMe
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneartistry View Post
On a side note…you’re able to get 41 mpg?! I have a 6MT and the best I’ve been able to do is 24.5 mpg at 70 mph or so.
I am up in the north east, kinda hilly, so going north I average about 28mpg but coming back home going south which is more down hill I get 39-41 if no traffic. I just use my big toe and go very light on the pedal. Have the ZF8 though not MT. Any idea where the bleeder screw is? I installed the JB4 myself and don’t believe I installed it wrong.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2023, 06:08 PM   #21
G80M3andMe
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The end result for me was that the JB4 was installed incorrectly and it was tricking the thermostat into not opening or closing so the car was running hot. I also did have a coolant leak in my hose that was fixed but I took everything off and went to Bmw and they reflashed the car and that did the trick. I am no longer running JB4
Is your water pump loud? Can you hear it over the fuel injectors? This is the sound I’m dealing with. Any help would be nice. https://youtube.com/shorts/IsGqe82j8cA?feature=share
Appreciate 0