Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-16-2021, 12:56 AM   #23
ram9cc
Private
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean@PSI View Post
We have had a ton of questions regarding the Akrapovič exhaust that we featured on our SEMA G80. Check out our latest video where we answer these questions, provide some sound clips and show off some comparisons!

Cool look.. i really enjoy the stock exhaust!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 10:34 PM   #24
calebcross
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iviegatron View Post
I would like to know who from all these companies are signing off on these terrible full exhausts setup. Are they trying to be the first to the market and they put out whatever garbage they have produced? Not being biased, but I haven't heard a single decent exhaust from any manufacturer but Remus. Below is a short list of exhausts and what I think about them.

Armytrix - Rasp city, probably the worst sounding exhaust. Might as well buy a weed whacker and install it on your car. You'll get the same sound.

Akrapovic - Expensive and sounds just like stock. Are they even trying?

MPE - Sounds similar to stock, expensive, and don't like the stacked tips

FI - Another raspy exhaust, were probably influenced by Armytrix

Valvetronic - sounds worst than their midpipe, it's definitely quieter. Valevetronic claims this is the best sounding exhaust (maybe in their own little world)

I refused to buy only a midpipe when I can get the same sound by taking it to a muffler shop and get it done for much cheaper.

I'm patiently waiting for Remus, hopefully the wait will be well worth it.
I feel like the problem really is just the engine. The reason the exhaust sounds “better” than the F8X from the factory isn’t the engine, it’s really just that BMW muffled the exhaust tone way more this time to “hide” the horrible rasp. So when exhaust manufacturers come around to make an aftermarket exhaust, they really only have 2 options - either keep the exhaust super muffled to hide the rasp (but then it sounds the same as stock), or free up the exhaust but then it sounds like raspy hell.

Not to mention BMW “claimed” they made an equal length exhaust from the factory but in reality it sounds almost the same as the F8X when unrestricted. So they failed on that front as well
Appreciate 2
Patton2502939.50
weidake472.50
      12-17-2021, 05:33 AM   #25
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebcross View Post
I feel like the problem really is just the engine. The reason the exhaust sounds “better” than the F8X from the factory isn’t the engine, it’s really just that BMW muffled the exhaust tone way more this time to “hide” the horrible rasp. So when exhaust manufacturers come around to make an aftermarket exhaust, they really only have 2 options - either keep the exhaust super muffled to hide the rasp (but then it sounds the same as stock), or free up the exhaust but then it sounds like raspy hell.

Not to mention BMW “claimed” they made an equal length exhaust from the factory but in reality it sounds almost the same as the F8X when unrestricted. So they failed on that front as well
Very well put. Plus there’s 10 different opinions on what sounds good and what doesn’t. So at least we have options. At the end of the day it only matters if the owner likes the way the car sounds. Because no matter what the owner picks if he rides up to a group of car enthusiasts more people than not won’t like the sound he picked.

I went with PSI’s mid pipes and the AKRAPOVIC axle back. I should have both installed in the next two weeks. I will record it and post it on the forum.
Appreciate 3
      12-17-2021, 07:41 AM   #26
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebcross View Post
Quote:
I would like to know who from all these companies are signing off on these terrible full exhausts setup. Are they trying to be the first to the market and they put out whatever garbage they have produced? Not being biased, but I haven't heard a single decent exhaust from any manufacturer but Remus. Below is a short list of exhausts and what I think about them.

Armytrix - Rasp city, probably the worst sounding exhaust. Might as well buy a weed whacker and install it on your car. You'll get the same sound.

Valvetronic - sounds worst than their midpipe, it's definitely quieter. Valevetronic claims this is the best sounding exhaust (maybe in their own little world)

I refused to buy only a midpipe when I can get the same sound by taking it to a muffler shop and get it done for much cheaper.

I agree with you 100%. When I put the EQ on my F-82 with the full Akro, it sounds 1000 times better. I hated hated it before that. Would normally have valves closed because it was god awful. Now I enjoy the sound. I will try and post a clip next time I have the car out
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 06:13 PM   #27
MTM3
mt4life
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Since it’s made in former Yugoslavia or now Slovenia with an average monthly salary of €1200, I bet it’s a hell of a deal! Right? Like what 200-300 bucks?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 07:13 PM   #28
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Very well put. Plus there’s 10 different opinions on what sounds good and what doesn’t. So at least we have options. At the end of the day it only matters if the owner likes the way the car sounds. Because no matter what the owner picks if he rides up to a group of car enthusiasts more people than not won’t like the sound he picked.

I went with PSI’s mid pipes and the AKRAPOVIC axle back. I should have both installed in the next two weeks. I will record it and post it on the forum.
that is what i am doing, tho i ordered both in beginning of october from forum sponsor. got the PSI mid pipes, told today my the exhaust is backordered until at least jan 30th.. looking at alternatives now, but really interested in hearing yours
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 07:17 PM   #29
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyfreebooter View Post
that is what i am doing, tho i ordered both in beginning of october from forum sponsor. got the PSI mid pipes, told today my the exhaust is backordered until at least jan 30th.. looking at alternatives now, but really interested in hearing yours
The Akrapovic axle back exhaust is back ordered until Jan 30th????
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 01:38 PM   #30
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

Quote:

i ordered the axel back akrapovic and psi midpipe from https://x-ph.com/ on october 1st. already received psi midpipe. originally exhaust was supposed to ship oct 31st, mid november i had to email them and ask what's up, they said december 12th. emailed them again this week and now they said jan 31st, 2022

not sure if its covid, akrapovic, x-ph.com, or what, but thinking of just cancelling and figuring something else out. remus sport isn't out until jan 23rd, so who knows if that will be delayed, etc.

annoying, but seems about right these days.
Appreciate 1
Patton2502939.50
      12-18-2021, 03:25 PM   #31
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyfreebooter View Post
Quote:

i ordered the axel back akrapovic and psi midpipe from https://x-ph.com/ on october 1st. already received psi midpipe. originally exhaust was supposed to ship oct 31st, mid november i had to email them and ask what's up, they said december 12th. emailed them again this week and now they said jan 31st, 2022

not sure if its covid, akrapovic, x-ph.com, or what, but thinking of just cancelling and figuring something else out. remus sport isn't out until jan 23rd, so who knows if that will be delayed, etc.

annoying, but seems about right these days.
I feel your pain.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 03:49 PM   #32
Sean@PSI
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 Sedan

Quote:
How many miles have you put on the Akrapovic exhaust?

I've heard it sounds better after putting in X amount of miles for breakin. Right now it sounds very close to stock exhaust.
I have about 1500 miles now on it, and it has become a tad louder than the video.

When first installed it was close to stock but the sound really changed over about 1000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Seems like the video clips have been craftily edited.
Audio no, not sure what you mean....to make a video we edit the video footage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Those who love Akra (Ive had a few on my M's) know about the quality and the sound vs the price.... Here we probably still have quality and the price but missing the sound enhancements.

The value prop on this exhaust is out the window.
Value isn't a factor normally with Akrapovic.

Quote:

I would say to hear all the exhausts IN PERSON before you make a definitive list of what sounds like what, and which ones you like. The camera and microphones and talent really comes into play on the way the sound is heard on camera so it is not fair to assess this based on the video alone.

Alot of the exhaust you name I have heard and do not agree at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Well, the one takeaway from this video for me is that I've been pronouncing Akrapovic incorrectly all this time. Other than that, doesn't sound good enough to justify the price.
That's a great takeaway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moproblems View Post
I don't know what they did with chamber volume but it makes the burbles sound like a GTI with a pop crackle tune. Maybe this would sound good with catless DP’s, but with the factory cats it's a swing and a miss... And for the price it better shit gold.

I'm still standing by my belief that if you drive with the valves open there's no reason to go with anything more than a midpipe. The factory muffler is already straight through outside of a resonated section past the valve with them open. I'd still be interested to see what the stock exhaust sounds like with high flows and no secondaries.
I think the mid pipe does wonders for this chassis, but this Akrapovic muffler finishes the G8x in the rear unlike any other, and with the diffuser it looks like something from BMW M directly.
Appreciate 0