Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2021 BMW G80  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh600cbr View Post

This is the g80 6MT with the primary resonator and secondary cat removed. The first video is a drive by in second gear in sport plus mdm.

In the second video I did a warm start, comfort mode revs, sport mode revs and sport plus mdm revs. It should be noted that engaging a gear does actually make it sound much better than neutral but it's too hard to capture the sound in gear. Also you should know that with the windows up it's much quieter than when outside of the car. You hear the burble and cracks nicely from inside. There is zero droning on the highway or ever.

The guy that did the mod for me told me that if you remove the secondary resonator you will get drone. He said resonators control the depth of the sound and the cat is the volume. I couldn't be happier. Extremely excited. Oh and it added about 10hp to the car. Noticeably more exciting of a drive.
Sounds great bro! I don't understand primary resonator, though; my understanding is the primary cats are on the downpipes, then through sequential resonators, then secondary cats, before hitting the stock muffler.

In my case, I removed both resonators and replaced with straight pipe; that's it. So just confused on what's different between our two solutions.

Any input is appreciate and again, yours sounds killer!
As mentioned in my post the resonators effect the depth of the sound while the secondary cat is volume. My understanding is that removing the secondary res creates a droning sound.
      09-25-2021, 07:05 PM   #398
Medal
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Garage List
[QUOTE/

As mentioned in my post the resonators effect the depth of the sound while the secondary cat is volume. My understanding is that removing the secondary res creates a droning sound.[/QUOTE]

I understand but I most definitely have zero drone. I can't stand drone and it annoys me when I hear it from other cars so 🤷
      09-25-2021, 07:50 PM   #399
jmh600cbr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2021 BMW G80  [0.00]
Quote:
[QUOTE/

As mentioned in my post the resonators effect the depth of the sound while the secondary cat is volume. My understanding is that removing the secondary res creates a droning sound.
I understand but I most definitely have zero drone. I can't stand drone and it annoys me when I hear it from other cars so 🤷[/QUOTE]

No clue. I'm not an expert but as long as we're all happy who cares?
      09-25-2021, 08:22 PM   #400
Medal
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
[QUOTE/

Absolutely, I'm just trying to understand your set up is all…sounds killer and wondering if I should add X pipe somewhere vs. just the dual res delete I have now with replacement straight pipes.
      09-26-2021, 11:20 AM   #401
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
[QUOTE/

No drone unless you wire your valves open
Appreciate 2
mattburks750.50
OwnerF16852.00
      09-26-2021, 01:50 PM   #402
abrush32
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentMeister View Post
Quote:
[QUOTE/

For what it's worth I haven't experienced any drone with both resonators out and valves wired open.
      09-26-2021, 02:15 PM   #403
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrush32 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
[QUOTE/

For what it's worth I haven't experienced any drone with both resonators out and valves wired open.
Yeah that was fine for me too, after I did the secondary cats it was not ok anymore
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 02:48 PM   #404
Medal
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrush32 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
[QUOTE/

Ditto…just dual res delete and straight pipe…that's what I was trying to understand with that other guy….as his sounds killer and just wondering if I should replace the straight pipes with an x pipe, but from what I'm reading, it wouldn't make that big a difference.
      09-28-2021, 11:49 AM   #405
m20e3087
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Parts are in for the mod. They are 3" 304SS and USA made. Will install in 2 weeks.
Attached Images

Last edited by m20e3087; 09-28-2021 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2021, 07:28 PM   #406
G80SWFL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 bmw m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m20e3087 View Post
Parts are in for the mod. They are 3" 304SS and USA made. Will install in 2 weeks.
Let us know!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 09:10 AM   #407
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattburks View Post
I’ve been running dual res, x pipe in place of second res, and 2nd cat delete for months. Wouldn’t have it any other way— I owe vids. I bantered months ago, but did anyone ever post? If not I owe as it sounds great! I paid $350 at a reputable DFW muffler @ custom fab’d shop. This mid pipe prices are highway robbery
Would love to know which shop, as I am also in the DFW area.
Appreciate 1
mattburks750.50
      09-29-2021, 09:19 AM   #408
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Quote:
Forgot to add pic of removed section of exhaust with resonators...apologies
That SVS subwoofer box looks unopened. Happy to take it off your hands if needed. Just let me know
Appreciate 1
Medal483.00
      09-29-2021, 09:23 AM   #409
Medal
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestion View Post
Quote:
Forgot to add pic of removed section of exhaust with resonators...apologies
That SVS subwoofer box looks unopened. Happy to take it off your hands if needed. Just let me know
Nope, they were opened and I actually gotta throw them out now that you mention it! I have two SVS SB-3000 subs in my home theater set up, and I saved the boxes for them, as you can trade them back and get full paid price credit back for them towards an upgrade…to like the 4000 or Ultra series…but you only have one year, and that was back in May for me so I have no reason to hang on to those boxes any longer.
      10-06-2021, 01:17 PM   #410
spridge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[QUOTE/

Absolutely, I'm just trying to understand your set up is all…sounds killer and wondering if I should add X pipe somewhere vs. just the dual res delete I have now with replacement straight pipes.
Confirming for everyone that the existing resonators do not have an X pipe inside either of them. Verified with borescope after removing them from my G80 today.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2021, 03:52 PM   #411
Johnathanz32
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition X-drive

^^^ thank you I've been wondering about that.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 03:53 PM   #412
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spridge View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[QUOTE/

Confirming for everyone that the existing resonators do not have an X pipe inside either of them. Verified with borescope after removing them from my G80 today.
It's very clearly an x tho you can see with the naked eye
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 09:18 PM   #413
spridge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[QUOTE/

There is set of open holes in the pipes as they pass through one of the resonators that could be described as an H pipe. Definitely not crossing
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 09:23 PM   #414
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[QUOTE/

There is set of open holes in the pipes as they pass through one of the resonators that could be described as an H pipe. Definitely not crossing
I guess it would be best described as resonance chamber.

It does in fact localize the exhaust pulses. Not a true x though you are correct.
Appreciate 1
spridge646.00
      10-07-2021, 11:42 PM   #415
mattburks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestion View Post
Would love to know which shop, as I am also in the DFW area.
Sorry for delay Celestion
I used miller muffler in Lewisville. I like them because they’re cheap, clean welds & don’t ask questions about me pulling the secondaries.

Otherwise all other work thus far has been performed at Cedar Performance Downtown Dallas/cedars/ deep ellum area. They do do g the same for you there as well, but it’ll run considerably more than the sub 400 amount I paid for dual res, replace with X and cut secondaries.

On a different note- after adding my JB4, I SWEAR my car is just slightly audibly a touch more tame post piggy back… placebo or it cleaned up some of the trims is all I can think of.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 11:44 PM   #416
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

My car always starts in efficient mode, with the exhaust button light "on". Can I change this? Can you control if the car starts with the exhaust open or closed?
Appreciate 1
mattburks750.50
      10-07-2021, 11:52 PM   #417
mattburks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
My car always starts in efficient mode, with the exhaust button light "on". Can I change this? Can you control if the car starts with the exhaust open or closed?
Only solution is to change the input of your driver mode prior to start. Sport plus and cold start for a treat if you haven’t done this prior.

Sure wish there was a way to have it auto return to your previous input. I imagine this is 100% EPA related.
Interested to see if Bootmod or a flash will provide option in the future.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 11:54 PM   #418
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattburks View Post
Only solution is to change the input of your driver mode prior to start. Sport plus and cold start for a treat if you haven’t done this prior.

Sure wish there was a way to have it auto return to your previous input. I imagine this is 100% EPA related.
Interested to see if Bootmod or a flash will provide option in the future.
Oh got it, you mean simply turn the car on (accessories)...put it in Sport Plus, and THEN start the car as the valves will be open. Got it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0