BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

03-02-2022, 10:31 PM   #1
mikezmoney
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 comp xdrive

PPF vs Ceramic coating

Your thoughts??

Has anyone done either one? I know the PPF quote is around $7000 versus the ceramic coating which is around $600-$700.

Is the PPF really worth it?
If so, is that the average price you guys are seeing out there?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 06:05 PM   #2
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Try this.

Appreciate 1
      03-03-2022, 09:30 PM   #3
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
I recently ceramic coated my g80 and ceramic coating doesn't REALLY help scratches at all. If anything it makes them more difficult to fix. Because the coating gets scratched and its a bitch to polish down to blend it out. And once you do that you have to recoat it.

Ceramic coating keeps paint looking freshly waxed, it helps fight swirling and maring. Its biggest perk is much easier washing. I did it on my former black G80 and it made a WORLD of difference on my wash time. Dam near cut it in half or even less than that! The paint looked gorgeous at all times too. That part alone was worth it for me.

If you want protection, then PPF is the way to go. I personally can't stand how PPF looks. Sooner or later an edge or corner will lift. Or you might see a bubble. Having the very best PPF installer is key to PPF. But I have yet to see a PPF car that I could NOT find a lifted edge or bubble somewhere eventually. Like within a year. Maybe I havent seen the best install of PPF yet. But so far that's my thought on it.

Typical whole car PPF is around 5-6K.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 03-03-2022 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 4
mzcp2692.00
themnmd1691.00
Limegrntaln13599.50
      03-03-2022, 10:54 PM   #4
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
I recently ceramic coated my g80 and ceramic coating doesn't REALLY help scratches at all. If anything it makes them more difficult to fix. Because the coating gets scratched and its a bitch to polish down to blend it out. And once you do that you have to recoat it.

Ceramic coating keeps paint looking freshly waxed, it helps fight swirling and maring. Its biggest perk is much easier washing. I did it on my former black G80 and it made a WORLD of difference on my wash time. Dam near cut it in half or even less than that! The paint looked gorgeous at all times too. That part alone was worth it for me.

If you want protection, then PPF is the way to go. I personally can't stand how PPF looks. Sooner or later an edge or corner will lift. Or you might see a bubble. Having the very best PPF installer is key to PPF. But I have yet to see a PPF car that I could NOT find a lifted edge or bubble somewhere eventually. Like within a year. Maybe I havent seen the best install of PPF yet. But so far that's my thought on it.

Typical whole car PPF is around 5-6K.
Yes I have less than a year on mine. I see the bubbles and lifted edges like you said. Hard to ignore on BSM
Appreciate 2
BIGW0RM3207.00
      03-04-2022, 10:23 AM   #5
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
I'm going to 100% agree with who install it, depends on how long it lasts. I have my car full PPFd, and the installer I took my car to, had it for 14 days. Door handles, headlights, taillights, mirrors, side skirts, fender breathers, all removed.

All edges tucked and wrapped around into the weld seams, and I had a hard time finding an edge. Door handles, side mirrors, and trunk spoiler, all removed so the doors and trunk could be done in one piece.

No cookie cutter stick on PPF done on my car. The roof rails were removed and the A, B, C pillar PPF, and the roof PPF, was tucked into the roof rail guides, the rails were reinstalled, and then the rails were PPFd, as well. Every slat on the front grill was polished, and covered in hand cut PPF. All badges were removed, PPFd under and new badges were ordered. Everything was done in STek DynoShield, and the outer windshield done in STek DynFlex, then everything, including wheels off, and CCB calipers, coated in self healing Feynlabs Ceramic. $8,500. Veteran discount, and I also had referred 3 other people that all spent over $5,000, so I received a $1,500 discount, for an OTD of $7,000.

Appreciate 2
mzcp2692.00
      03-14-2022, 10:44 PM   #6
Echo_26
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: A90, F82,G80 xdrive,G82 xdrive

I'd say both are worth it.

BMW has softer paint which looks great but can chip easily.

PPF protects the car from rocks or small dings and even small scratches. Ceramic coatings basically protect by making it water resistant as well as keeping it looking flawless and helps with swirl marks when washed correctly.

I have a Toyota Supra which had no PPF and now I have to repaint the front bumper because of rockchips from driving on the highway.

I will definitely be doing both on my G82 definitely worth the price.
Appreciate 0