BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

01-21-2022, 02:53 AM   #45
SexyRoger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Oh geez.

I've had 4 911's including a 19 GTS and two 992 S since 2017. The 991.2 is dated. The technology is old. Yes it's a great drivers car. But it's old!

The 992 was a nice improvement but you can't see the dash gauges. The infotainment sucked. And both of my 2020 911's were buy backs. Back to back too.

So your statement about drive a Porsche to see why it costs more holds no water to me. I left the brand over lack of quality and crappy infotainment. Truth be told, both my 991.2's were flawless. Just extremely dated in interior and infotainment.

Porsche is a great drivers car. But after spending 4yrs straight in one, I feel the BMW G8x is one hell of a deal and a better car for the money hands down.

And it seems to me that the g8x platform is holding its value just fine vs Porsche.

My 911s was 162k. My m3 was 85k. Both of which are selling higher than msrp even used.

I don't know. But after 4 911's in a row. I left Porsche extremely disappointed. I absolutely love my m3 which replaced my 162k 911.

They ain't ALL that. Been there done that. Yet here I am.
Look what is important to you >>> Infotainment.

Driving experience is important to me, I like a good sound system, but the rest of this tech is in a Taycan.

Yes you get lots of car for the money in the M4, but it does not deliver as I would expect it to deliver. Feels numb, slow shifts and lost that mid range punch the F80 had which was nice to race Ferraris with. Jumping back into my Cayenne interior felt nicer and shifts were faster.

I mean no offence but the 911, I am not sure if you were using the car correctly. because mine delivered lap after lap and day after day.

You don't need to agree and I am sure many won't.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 03:01 AM   #46
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyRoger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Oh geez.

I've had 4 911's including a 19 GTS and two 992 S since 2017. The 991.2 is dated. The technology is old. Yes it's a great drivers car. But it's old!

The 992 was a nice improvement but you can't see the dash gauges. The infotainment sucked. And both of my 2020 911's were buy backs. Back to back too.

So your statement about drive a Porsche to see why it costs more holds no water to me. I left the brand over lack of quality and crappy infotainment. Truth be told, both my 991.2's were flawless. Just extremely dated in interior and infotainment.

Porsche is a great drivers car. But after spending 4yrs straight in one, I feel the BMW G8x is one hell of a deal and a better car for the money hands down.

And it seems to me that the g8x platform is holding its value just fine vs Porsche.

My 911s was 162k. My m3 was 85k. Both of which are selling higher than msrp even used.

I don't know. But after 4 911's in a row. I left Porsche extremely disappointed. I absolutely love my m3 which replaced my 162k 911.

They ain't ALL that. Been there done that. Yet here I am.
Look what is important to you >>> Infotainment.

Driving experience is important to me, I like a good sound system, but the rest of this tech is in a Taycan.

Yes you get lots of car for the money in the M4, but it does not deliver as I would expect it to deliver. Feels numb, slow shifts and lost that mid range punch the F80 had which was nice to race Ferraris with. Jumping back into my Cayenne interior felt nicer and shifts were faster.

I mean no offence but the 911, I am not sure if you were using the car correctly. because mine delivered lap after lap and day after day.

You don't need to agree and I am sure many won't.
Hubris……once again.
Appreciate 2
BIGW0RM3156.00
JTO245274.50
      01-21-2022, 03:09 AM   #47
SexyRoger
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
In US you can't compare these. Price wise options similar the Porsche is $35,000 more.

And then we aren't even talking about practicality, anyone with kids or a dog are not even comparing these 2 cars. And if you don't really use the back seat why would you look at a M3?
How big are your kids? Mine fit fine in the back with the dog. LOL
Not a cross Europe journey but about 50 miles to the destination and back.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 03:15 AM   #48
SexyRoger
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
I love my PorschMW Blend--- whats better, hell toss a coin. Both cars are tuned (piggy on M, Cobb on P) and both have exhaust. The day I drive the M, Im throughly impressed with the chassis response, dampening, steering, and happy with the sound especially considering the weight. The day I drive the GTS I am equally impressed with factors I connect with while the sound is just a bit better rocking a Kline exhaust.

The M (X drive) is faster from a dig and roll (sorry its tuned and its true over the tuned GTS).

Nice M3 very well done and GTS.

I think it is the thing, you need the GTS for fun and M3 for daily. It is more practical, more space and smoother ride. I sat in traffic for a few min and it was very comfy especially over some of the less than perfect roads. It is a great car for 129K fully loaded.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25089.50
      01-21-2022, 04:38 AM   #49
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJBFI View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
For those who want just the numbers.

Impressive for both cars.
Again, it would suffice to replace the RWD version with the AWD version in this comparison and the BMW would have won each segment of the competition.
Might as well throw in the lowest spec 911 AWD then.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2022, 05:25 AM   #50
SexyRoger
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Performance figures aside. The M4 is a massive bang for the money and if modified well certainly starts to turn heads. Had to have a second look today at the car. New grill fix and front splitter, few other tweaks and you got the perfect daily sports car.

Sales guys said (Kalamari orange) lol I know what he meant would probably be a nice combo w carbon seats and brakes.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 07:10 AM   #51
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

To me are different cars to be compared.

I love the 911, it's iconic, fast, drives perfectly, and ages better than the majority of the other cars.

The M3 in the other hand, it's iconic too, it's cheaper, drives nearly perfectly, but it will age rapidly (as always off course).

Some of you know that I'm waiting for my M3 since a long time.....but I think that it's a perfect daily sport super sedan if you have (or maybe will have) another sport coupé in the garage.

If my M3 will be delayed again in the next 2/3 weeks, the only car I'm thinking to buy instead is only the 992.

Very different from the M3 and less practical for sure, but a lot better in some other ways.

Carwow comparison, in this case, is useless to me. OK the price is similar, but both are so different that a comparison is not possibile in my opinion.

BMW G80 M3 Comp.xDrive 2022 + Jaguar F-Pace SVR v8 2022 + BMW F20 M140i RWD 2017
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 09:54 AM   #52
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyRoger View Post
Performance figures aside. The M4 is a massive bang for the money and if modified well certainly starts to turn heads. Had to have a second look today at the car. New grill fix and front splitter, few other tweaks and you got the perfect daily sports car.

Sales guys said (Kalamari orange) lol I know what he meant would probably be a nice combo w carbon seats and brakes.
Maybe, when you test drove the G8X- you didnt have it in the right settings? Also for me and this is just me; I never let one test drive sell me as a buyer or decliner. Most recently it was on the F90 M5- I had an E63S and just didnt think the F90 drove along the lines of the E63S. But, to my own fault, I really wasnt driving it correctly thru the gears and rpms (my dealer knows me and allows for a proper test). So 3 days later I went back and re drove it and then took the car home. I drove the G80 and loved it but still went back to redrive it back in April (I bought the RWD car and now have an X)

As an owner of both cars, I feel the G80 is perfectly responsive with tq thru the usable ranges and a relatively strong hp curve to add. My foot is relatively heavy and I love raping the rpms on the S58. Its probably my favorite part of driving the car but I also am preconditioned to rpm driving with my R8 V10 Performance.

Its frankly impossible to source a Porsche (what I want) stateside for even reasonable money and paying 100k over is lame even if cash is no object. Especially when the G8X is so formidable for what it costs. I had an F82 as well; this G8X is night and day better from grip, steering, road feel, confidence, and even sound.

But I still love me some Porsche
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 3
      01-21-2022, 11:54 AM   #53
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
I think a lot of people who didn't like the looks came around and those who still dont like it prob wont and thats ok.
Why is that ok? BMW couldn’t do well with those additional sales?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 12:02 PM   #54
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
They gained a new, younger, audience.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 12:02 PM   #55
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
its ok bc not everyone will like everything. Its impossible for a manufacture to have 100% approval. And yes its ok that not everyone likes the designs/mechanics/etc.. maybe im not understanding your question here? I dont see what you are trying to say here, can you elaborate so I can understand. thanks

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
JTO245274.50
      01-21-2022, 12:52 PM   #56
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Or might as well do top of the line GTS 4 coupe. That car BTW runs 10.9@128 MPH in the quarter mile and I'd guess quite a bit faster than the base 992 or even an S.

Last edited by HeelToeShift; 01-21-2022 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 05:10 PM   #57
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
I love my PorschMW Blend--- whats better, hell toss a coin. Both cars are tuned (piggy on M, Cobb on P) and both have exhaust. The day I drive the M, Im throughly impressed with the chassis response, dampening, steering, and happy with the sound especially considering the weight. The day I drive the GTS I am equally impressed with factors I connect with while the sound is just a bit better rocking a Kline exhaust.

The M (X drive) is faster from a dig and roll (sorry its tuned and its true over the tuned GTS).

[img]https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...2cda52bee2.jpg[/img]
[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw...-no?authuser=0[/img]
Both are absolutely clean!
Appreciate 1
Vic5519360.50
      01-22-2022, 08:50 AM   #58
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not for an $80k car they didn’t. The entry level M car, the M2, keeps the traditional looking grilles.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 08:54 AM   #59
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
its ok bc not everyone will like everything. Its impossible for a manufacture to have 100% approval. And yes its ok that not everyone likes the designs/mechanics/etc..
That wasn’t the case before.

Quote:
maybe im not understanding your question here? I dont see what you are trying to say here, can you elaborate so I can understand. thanks

They didn’t have to make it controversial to get it to sell. Previous generations sold well without bringing styling bits that induced cringing in the audience. As simple as that.

And, if you look at sales leaders in the BMW range, incidentally or coincidentally they are the models with the more traditional look. Time will tell if the new designs will be successful on their own.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 10:00 AM   #60
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Not for an $80k car they didn’t. The entry level M car, the M2, keeps the traditional looking grilles.
Younger, not necessarily new grads.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
JTO245274.50
      01-22-2022, 11:03 AM   #61
GJBFI
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 competition Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Or might as well do top of the line GTS 4 coupe. That car BTW runs 10.9@128 MPH in the quarter mile and I'd guess quite a bit faster than the base 992 or even an S.
The BMW have more power and the engine is in the front. It therefore lacks traction at the start to transfer all the power to the rear wheels. The Porsche is less powerful and its engine (thus the weight) is at the rear above the drive wheels, adding AWD makes much less of a difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 11:17 AM   #62
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
That wasn’t the case before.

They didn’t have to make it controversial to get it to sell. Previous generations sold well without bringing styling bits that induced cringing in the audience. As simple as that.

And, if you look at sales leaders in the BMW range, incidentally or coincidentally they are the models with the more traditional look. Time will tell if the new designs will be successful on their own.
all new designs are going to ruffle some people no matter what. I remember seeing when the f8x came out lots of people were up in arms only later to say the opposite. (the M666 style wheels were a huge flip I remember lol) It happens, again design is subjective so you can't really make that argument about it was never the case before bc that isn't true.IT could be true in your eyes and thats your truth and I respect that but at the same time I disagree. The current design and the others will always yield mix results no matter the brand. As far as unit made/sold goes its also hard to justify your claim bc BMW doesn't produce as many M3/4 as say a 3 series. The heart of the population can't afford the higher end cars so BMW makes sense to produce more of the cars they can reach the bigger audience with. Im sure you agree on that. So naturally the sales figures for the other model will be higher. It just so happens that the "controversial" designs are on the higher priced cars at the moment. Also the chip issues the pat two years plays a HUGE factor in so many things that almost everything would have a asterisk next to it.

as far as controversial goes yes its very different however thats the direction they are going. They are selling them like hotcakes and even though some forum members such as yourself dont like the design or call it controversial you have to realize that we, the forum members, are such a small demo of the buyers out there. ITs easy to get confused by reading things on here that the whole population feels the same, but going off sales numbers and demand that just isn't the case. Even if I dont know everything I can go off us personally and based off the huge demand we have for the car (talking about M3/4) it shows me that its not controversial and in fact its highly sought after at this moment. YEs I agree with you that can change so you are right we need to see how it goes for sure.

again I totally respect your view of the car as being controversial, but to make that assumption for everyone doesn't seem fair especially given the numbers that show the opposite. I feel the same way as you about the alfa, I dont get it, but there is a lot of people who do, and thats totally fine. AS long as there are people buying it they will make it. ITs the beauty of having a lot of options and the right to spend your money on whatever you want to spend it on

nothing but love my friend, appreciate you voicing your opinion, respect have a good weekend

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 5
02M3ForMe4261.50
Sedan_Clan25089.50
jmg18703.50
AlterZgo1537.50
JTO245274.50
      01-22-2022, 12:18 PM   #63
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep

Quote:
The BMW have more power and the engine is in the front. It therefore lacks traction at the start to transfer all the power to the rear wheels. The Porsche is less powerful and its engine (thus the weight) is at the rear above the drive wheels, adding AWD makes much less of a difference.
Of course but it's just silly to play those semantics. My point was that you could go back and forth on what makes sense to compare but RWD/ vs RWD makes sense or AWD vs AWD makes sense from just a drivetrain perspective.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 01:50 PM   #64
GJBFI
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Of course but it's just silly to play those semantics. My point was that you could go back and forth on what makes sense to compare but RWD/ vs RWD makes sense or AWD vs AWD makes sense from just a drivetrain perspective.
My point is that you add a $4000 option on the M3 (for the Xdrive) and the test result will be reversed whether you choose the RWD or AWD version of the Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 02:26 PM   #65
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep

Quote:
My point is that you add a $4000 option on the M3 (for the Xdrive) and the test result will be reversed whether you choose the RWD or AWD version of the Porsche.
That is certainly not true. An AWD S or GTS will absolutely be faster than the M3 xdrive on track or off. Again, the GTS ran 10.9@128 in the quarter mile. The M3X traps nowhere near that. Maybe 124/125.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 03:09 PM   #66
GJBFI
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That is certainly not true. An AWD S or GTS will absolutely be faster than the M3 xdrive on track or off. Again, the GTS ran 10.9@128 in the quarter mile. The M3X traps nowhere near that. Maybe 124/125.
We are talking about the models with the same price range. Of course turboS will be faster for twice the price… My only point is the fact that Carrera won the test only because the M3 was not Xdrive model.
Appreciate 0