home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

01-18-2022, 11:36 AM   #1
e46zhpbmw
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E36, 46, 90, F80 m3 :)

Black Sapphire Metallic vs. Dravit Grey ?

Hey guys,

My order is scheduled for April so I still have time to make changes. I have been going back and forth between BSM or Dravit Grey.

The interior will be Fiona Red, I know making a decision on colour is the hardest. Right now I am leaning towards Dravit Grey but the Black is REALLY growing on me. Hows the maintenance on the black vs. dravit? I will be PPF'ing the entire front clip plus ceramic coating.

Thank you! And sorry for another colour opinion thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 11:53 AM   #2
Murf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C - Dravit Grey

Can't go wrong with either but Dravit is far far more dynamic in the sun. Maybe slightly less upkeep but it's still a darker color. I've had my share of black cars and I couldnt deal with the upkeep at this stage of my life, it's just too much work to keep clean.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 12:15 PM   #3
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I think Fiona goes better with black, but Dravit certainly has more visual interest.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2022, 12:15 PM   #4
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 6-speed

Another vote for Dravit. I have to admit, I saw a BSM G80 (with the orange interior) in person, and the car looked great in black. But I also feel that some of the aggressive details of the M-car bodywork get a bit lost in the very dark colors, particularly when compared to something like Dravit which shows shadows so strongly and changes with the lighting.

Plus (and this may be a dumb reason), I feel like if you're going to order and wait for the vehicle, might as well do a color that's less typical of something you would find in dealer-ordered inventory (in normal times).
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2022, 12:20 PM   #5
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

I have a Dravit Gray convertible on order and have unicorn manual transmission 2007 X3 in Sapphire black as my winter vehicle.

I am not sure if Sapphire Black in my MY X3 differs from the current color, but I am not in love with it. Granted, I am not a huge fan of black cars, but find Dravit Gray to be a more "dynamic" color. I also ordered the carbon exterior pack, so wanted some degree of contrast as well.

The Sapphire Black exhibits some blue in the direct sunlight, but the "range", to me, is not that wide.

At the end of the day, the choice is yours and as long as you like it....
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 12:44 PM   #6
rmh12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Convertible

can't speak to sapphire black but dravit and fiona go really nice together in my opinion.

Here is my convertible.
Attached Images

Seandale520.00
      01-18-2022, 12:49 PM   #7
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
I think orange interior looks SO much better with Dravit. Once the sun hits dravit, you car turns golden. Orange blends much better with dravit IMO. I also think fiona looks much better on BSM. And they both show dirt more than other colors. They are both metallic so maintenance will be the same. A pain! But they both look REALLY nice when clean!

If you are dead set on fiona, I would totally get BSM. The nice thing about BSM is, all the bottom trim matches (close enough) to where your car doesn't have a black bottom border all around it. Which really bothers me because the carbon front lip hides the black. Leaving the back running boards. And the rear diffuser hides most of the black. Unless you get those ugly winged side skirts; it doesn't flow very well with only the side skirts left in black.
      01-18-2022, 01:11 PM   #8
Brpnw17
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22' G80 XDrive DG

I made the change from IOMG to Dravit. Dravit is a color that I dont think I will get sick of looking at for years to come. I currently have a BSM 540 xdrive and think it looks good all blacked out but this is an M car and I want to be able to see those beautiful body lines and have a color that’s dynamic and not as common without being over the top. That was my justification for the change.

And yes, my 540 constantly looks dirty and that does bug me quite a bit. Even hard water spots show up even though I have it ceramic coated.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 01:36 PM   #9
e46zhpbmw
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Can't go wrong with either but Dravit is far far more dynamic in the sun. Maybe slightly less upkeep but it's still a darker color. I've had my share of black cars and I couldnt deal with the upkeep at this stage of my life, it's just too much work to keep clean.
Is that your car? i love that build with the 825! i ordered the same. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
I think Fiona goes better with black, but Dravit certainly has more visual interest.
Yeah agree with the red on black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePower View Post
Another vote for Dravit. I have to admit, I saw a BSM G80 (with the orange interior) in person, and the car looked great in black. But I also feel that some of the aggressive details of the M-car bodywork get a bit lost in the very dark colors, particularly when compared to something like Dravit which shows shadows so strongly and changes with the lighting.

Plus (and this may be a dumb reason), I feel like if you're going to order and wait for the vehicle, might as well do a color that's less typical of something you would find in dealer-ordered inventory (in normal times).
Haha not a dumb reason definitely a consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteome View Post
I have a Dravit Gray convertible on order and have unicorn manual transmission 2007 X3 in Sapphire black as my winter vehicle.

I am not sure if Sapphire Black in my MY X3 differs from the current color, but I am not in love with it. Granted, I am not a huge fan of black cars, but find Dravit Gray to be a more "dynamic" color. I also ordered the carbon exterior pack, so wanted some degree of contrast as well.

The Sapphire Black exhibits some blue in the direct sunlight, but the "range", to me, is not that wide.

At the end of the day, the choice is yours and as long as you like it....

That makes sense.. im leaning towards Dravit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmh12 View Post
can't speak to sapphire black but dravit and fiona go really nice together in my opinion.

Here is my convertible.
I saw your pics on your thread! Great build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
I think orange interior looks SO much better with Dravit. Once the sun hits dravit, you car turns golden. Orange blends much better with dravit IMO. I also think fiona looks much better on BSM. And they both show dirt more than other colors. They are both metallic so maintenance will be the same. A pain! But they both look REALLY nice when clean!

If you are dead set on fiona, I would totally get BSM. The nice thing about BSM is, all the bottom trim matches (close enough) to where your car doesn't have a black bottom border all around it. Which really bothers me because the carbon front lip hides the black. Leaving the back running boards. And the rear diffuser hides most of the black. Unless you get those ugly winged side skirts; it doesn't flow very well with only the side skirts left in black.
I have been contemplating, the only thing holding me back from Orange is long term I think i will begin to dislike it. Ill probably get the car tinted so the orange flakes on red shouldnt be a huge issue. will also get the carbon exterior pack regardless of colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brpnw17 View Post
I made the change from IOMG to Dravit. Dravit is a color that I dont think I will get sick of looking at for years to come. I currently have a BSM 540 xdrive and think it looks good all blacked out but this is an M car and I want to be able to see those beautiful body lines and have a color that’s dynamic and not as common without being over the top. That was my justification for the change.

And yes, my 540 constantly looks dirty and that does bug me quite a bit. Even hard water spots show up even though I have it ceramic coated.
Thanks for the feedback guys! I think im heavily leaning towards Dravit. just wanted to know your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 01:58 PM   #10
Murf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C - Dravit Grey

Yep thats mine. Interior is boring black though.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 02:38 PM   #11
Matt@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: V8 tricycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46zhpbmw View Post
Hey guys,

My order is scheduled for April so I still have time to make changes. I have been going back and forth between BSM or Dravit Grey.

The interior will be Fiona Red, I know making a decision on colour is the hardest. Right now I am leaning towards Dravit Grey but the Black is REALLY growing on me. Hows the maintenance on the black vs. dravit? I will be PPF'ing the entire front clip plus ceramic coating.

Thank you! And sorry for another colour opinion thread.
If you PPF the whole car, the self healing film will minimize the swirling. Upkeep will be much easier filmed and ceramic coated.

As stated above...no wrong answers here...

Appreciate 1
'Cane8493.50
      01-18-2022, 05:23 PM   #12
G8ighty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22’ G80 M3 6mt

What is the BSM lowered on?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 07:05 PM   #13
e46zhpbmw
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@AUTOcouture View Post
If you PPF the whole car, the self healing film will minimize the swirling. Upkeep will be much easier filmed and ceramic coated.

Man both of those cars look so awesome! thank you for sharing. and also asking as the other member did. What are you lowered on?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 07:08 PM   #14
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

I was considering a Black one and went to view it. It looked amazing but I felt like It blended in a little
But too much. (My wife thought it was a regular 3 series)

Black is a dust magnet and always looks dirty where as Dravit gray hides the dust so well!

Very happy with my choice
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      01-18-2022, 08:14 PM   #15
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
I was considering a Black one and went to view it. It looked amazing but I felt like It blended in a little

Black is a dust magnet and always looks dirty where as Dravit gray hides the dust so well!

Quote:

I agree with Barry...I currently have two Bkack X5s, and it's a bitch keeping them clean. I sold a 335i convertible last year and swore never to get another black car, although the wife loves them. I almost passed on getting the Dravit Grey being cheap. I'm so glad I got this color and love how it changes its Hue. I personally like lighter colors for interior and love grey cars. Last picture is my 7 I sold.
Attached Images

04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 07:27 AM   #16
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:

Especially on the m4
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 09:01 AM   #17
e46zhpbmw
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@AUTOcouture View Post

Quote:

Man that car is beautiful! Thanks for sharing. .. I think i will keep Dravit grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUNITNOW View Post
I agree with Barry...I currently have two Bkack X5s, and it's a bitch keeping them clean. I sold a 335i convertible last year and swore never to get another black car, although the wife loves them. I almost passed on getting the Dravit Grey being cheap. I'm so glad I got this color and love how it changes its Hue. I personally like lighter colors for interior and love grey cars. Last picture is my 7 I sold.
Awesome feedback. Dravit Grey it is!
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2022, 10:06 AM   #18
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep

Just curious, but while we're discussing the pluses and minuses of BSM and black exteriors in general (maintenance, swirling, dust etc.), what happened to carbon black? I feel like I never see it mentioned here. I had an e46 M3 coupe in carbon black, and the color was pretty amazing. Also seemed to put up with much more laziness in the washing department, than my BSM M2C...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 10:21 AM   #19
e46zhpbmw
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Just curious, but while we're discussing the pluses and minuses of BSM and black exteriors in general (maintenance, swirling, dust etc.), what happened to carbon black? I feel like I never see it mentioned here. I had an e46 M3 coupe in carbon black, and the color was pretty amazing. Also seemed to put up with much more laziness in the washing department, than my BSM M2C...
I dont particularly love Carbon Black. It reminds me of the e9x Jerez black.. I have it on my current e46 btw

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 10:29 AM   #20
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep

I feel like CB is more blue than Jerez, but yes, very similar colors overall. Don't seem to see either one mentioned much anymore... I guess tastes have moved on for now. (10 years ago, I don't remember seeing all of the amazing greys. Times change.)

Nice e46 btw!!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 10:32 AM   #21
e46zhpbmw
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I feel like CB is more blue than Jerez, but yes, very similar colors overall. Don't seem to see either one mentioned much anymore... I guess tastes have moved on for now. (10 years ago, I don't remember seeing all of the amazing greys. Times change.)

Nice e46 btw!!
Yeah you are right! CB is more blue than Jerez but same base formula imo lol. Blue/Black mix Times def change and the colours are way more dynamic now! Thank you, since im here canada, the e46 is sleeping so its getting hard to wait for the g80 and wait for the other cars to come out of hibernation!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 11:05 AM   #22
Matt@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: V8 tricycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8ighty View Post
What is the BSM lowered on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46zhpbmw View Post
Man both of those cars look so awesome! thank you for sharing. and also asking as the other member did. What are you lowered on?
Those are customer cars. The BSM is an all wheel drive on the AST springs. The Dravit is on KW HAS kit.

Our car is on MCS coil overs
Appreciate 1
G8ighty246.50