BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-02-2022, 10:01 AM   #45
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Ok took my drive earlier than i wanted. Was going to take my vette out first but it was still raining.

So i was playing with the paddles, and the shifts are instant. The moment you pull the paddle, there is an immediate reaction in the shift. It's basically instant.

Maybe do like someone else said and reset the trans?
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2022, 10:14 AM   #46
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Ok took my drive earlier than i wanted. Was going to take my vette out first but it was still raining.

So i was playing with the paddles, and the shifts are instant. The moment you pull the paddle, there is an immediate reaction in the shift. It's basically instant.

Maybe do like someone else said and reset the trans?
I did reset it this morning Per what was stated but I have no idea if it did anything since there's no confirmation. Here's a video showing the slow shifts I just took.

It's still processing on YouTube but here it is. I can take a better one later but you can see a visible delay between me hitting the paddle and the revs dropping.

Let me know if you see what I do

2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
Spiffx448.00
      01-02-2022, 10:21 AM   #47
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
I did reset it this morning Per what was stated but I have no idea if it did anything since there's no confirmation. Here's a video showing the slow shifts I just took.

It's still processing on YouTube but here it is. I can take a better one later but you can see a visible delay between me hitting the paddle and the revs dropping.

Hmmmm. Damn now you're making me wonder.

I honestly don't see that much of a delay, i mean we're talking milliseconds possibly. I'm going make my own video. But probably not today. The car is done for today. So maybe next weekend.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 10:22 AM   #48
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I honestly don't see that much of a delay, i mean we're talking milliseconds possibly. I'm going make my own video. But probably not today. The car is done for today. So maybe next weekend.
It's still more than what I experience in the X3M40i. I'll take a better video with the wide angle camera do you can see it better in a bit. The car should shift faster though
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 10:40 AM   #49
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
It's still more than what I experience in the X3M40i. I'll take a better video with the wide angle camera do you can see it better in a bit. The car should shift faster though
One thing I noticed about the M performance cars I’ve driven is their digital gauges always seemed to “shift” faster than the actual shift action. That may be contributing to the impression that your former X3 is shifting faster. Another thing to think about is TC - even the DCT in F8X has better shifting qualities with TC off in the more aggressive shift modes. Just thinking out loud here
      01-02-2022, 10:48 AM   #50
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Quote:
One thing I noticed about the M performance cars I’ve driven is their digital gauges always seemed to “shift” faster than the actual shift action. That may be contributing to the impression that your former X3 is shifting faster. Another thing to think about is TC - even the DCT in F8X has better shifting qualities with TC off in the more aggressive shift modes. Just thinking out loud here
You can hear/feel them drop in a delayed manner not just the gauges showing it. The X3M40i also had digital gauges and iDrive 7 so it shouldn't make a difference
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 10:57 AM   #51
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If the car shifts have too much delay, this would be apparent in 0-60 times right? Consider timing with timing gear. If it times well, you can chalk it a bit to imagination?

It's difficult to make out your shifts vs revs vs speed changing in parallel in that video with the shaking. And we're taking about judging milliseconds here. I think it's one of those things you feel as a driver rather than recreate in your imagination from a video too.

How many miles are you at now? Approx at how many miles did you first notice the issue?
      01-02-2022, 11:05 AM   #52
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If the car shifts have too much delay, this would be apparent in 0-60 times right? Consider timing with timing gear. If it times well, you can chalk it a bit to imagination?

It's difficult to make out your shifts vs revs vs speed changing in parallel in that video with the shaking. And we're taking about judging milliseconds here. I think it's one of those things you feel as a driver rather than recreate in your imagination from a video too.

How many miles are you at now? Approx at how many miles did you first notice the issue?
I will do my best to take another video later but I have roughly 4300 miles on my car now. My 0-60 times have gotten slower seemingly from the launches I've done. Waiting to bring it to the dealer once they open I'll set up an appointment
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 01:43 PM   #53
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Here's a better video

Edit: engine is in sport+ for this as well as the first video.
Appreciate 1
kjx3197.00
      01-02-2022, 01:50 PM   #54
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
I definitely should've driven other M cars equipped with the ZF but from that 2nd video, that looks normal to me lol. At least that's how i remember my car shifting (although didn't try WOT yet).
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 01:52 PM   #55
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
I definitely should've driven other M cars equipped with the ZF but from that 2nd video, that looks normal to me lol. At least that's how i remember my car shifting (although didn't try WOT yet).
There's still a delay between the paddle and an actual shift which isn't present in other ZF8 cars I've driven. My G05 X5 50i shifted faster as well I'll see if I can find a clip I made of that

Edit: it looks normal until you drive another BMW and see the difference as I did
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 02:04 PM   #56
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
I mean to be fair i have driven hellcats equipped with the same trans (albeit different tune) and the response time is still very fast. It "looked" similar to your video.

I think any faster and it's a PDK or DCT.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 02:07 PM   #57
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
I mean to be fair i have driven hellcats equipped with the same trans (albeit different tune) and the response time is still very fast. It "looked" similar to your video.

I think any faster and it's a PDK or DCT.
Hellcats shift slower than the ZF8 traditionally In BMW's. I prefer a DCT (PDK is a DCT) but it's still slower than it should be. I have a feeling BMW will say it's normal so they can avoid doing anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 02:34 PM   #58
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hellcats shift slower than the ZF8 traditionally In BMW's. I prefer a DCT (PDK is a DCT) but it's still slower than it should be. I have a feeling BMW will say it's normal so they can avoid doing anything.
Not necessarily true.

The shift program at least on the 3-4 shift in a hellcat is almost identical to what i experience on the 3-4 shift in my M3.

Again i haven't gone WOT yet in this car so i can't give a full conclusion but it's about the same.

I'm sure others will say it looks normal, especially your 2nd video.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2022, 02:37 PM   #59
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Not necessarily true.

The shift program at least on the 3-4 shift in a hellcat is almost identical to what i experience on the 3-4 shift in my M3.

Again i haven't gone WOT yet in this car so i can't give a full conclusion but it's about the same.

I'm sure others will say it looks normal, especially your 2nd video.
They had an issue with the M550i shifting slower than expected an released an update for the transmission after C&D noted it wasn't meeting the 0-60 times BMW stated so it's entirely possible. All I know is some ZF8 cars shift faster which is my main point here. Sure the transmission is quick, but lower performance vehicles with the ZF8 shouldn't shifter faster than a proper M car.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 05:43 PM   #60
Osiris888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

I find that when I am accelerating 'normally' or even slightly spirited the shifts are pretty quick without much drama. Once I hammer it and revs get really high the shifts become more violent and feel slightly delayed. Almost as tho the transmission is dealing with the increased torque/HP as it engages the gears. I just chalked it up to the 'M' shifting experience

I will be following your progress to see what comes out of it all.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 05:45 PM   #61
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris888 View Post
I find that when I am accelerating 'normally' or even slightly spirited the shifts are pretty quick without much drama. Once I hammer it and revs get really high the shifts become more violent and feel slightly delayed. Almost as tho the transmission is dealing with the increased torque/HP as it engages the gears. I just chalked it up to the 'M' shifting experience

I will be following your progress to see what comes out of it all.
when you shift "manually" is my main concern with the delays. Yes it does hesitate a bit even in auto mode as well. The ZF8 is very robust and can easily handle the torque load so I think a software update could fix this without a problem.
Appreciate 2
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
OF Hero1133.00
      01-02-2022, 05:53 PM   #62
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
I watched the 2nd video multiple times with the playback speed at 0.5 and 0.25.

Dude it really looks normal. But i trust your word if you say it's not because you have more M experience than me.

But i watched that clip about 30 times already. From normal speed to 0.25. It really does look normal.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 07:07 PM   #63
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
I have driven a bunch of ZF8 cars and noticed that when shifting with the paddle they shift slower than leaving it in S3 at WOT. Just food for thought.

Current: 2022 M3 CompX, 2024 M2 6-Spd
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 07:28 PM   #64
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKParris View Post
I have driven a bunch of ZF8 cars and noticed that when shifting with the paddle they shift slower than leaving it in S3 at WOT. Just food for thought.
Usually with the hellcats at least (and in the GM 8 speed in the C7 corvettes) they recommend just leaving it in D.

For optimal acceleration they want you to put it in M, drop to the desired gear via paddle, then when you stomp on the throttle, throw the gear lever to D and let the trans shift for you.

It will hit every target RPM for MAX acceleration.

It's like that in the hellcats too. For performance driving they don't even recommend the paddles. Maybe this is why?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 07:30 PM   #65
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
I watched the 2nd video multiple times with the playback speed at 0.5 and 0.25.

Dude it really looks normal. But i trust your word if you say it's not because you have more M experience than me.

But i watched that clip about 30 times already. From normal speed to 0.25. It really does look normal.
I need to make one driving the loaner I had the other day for comparison because it should show things. I know the M5 Comp I drove was quicker to shift. I'm going to call my service advisor tomorrow and see what he says
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKParris View Post
You mean D3? in S3 it doesn't shift automatically.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 08:35 PM   #66
Nifty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3

I've got about 4300 miles on mine (AWD M3) as well and your videos don't raise any red flags for me. I've noticed that the shifts get more aggressive / quicker the deeper you get in the pedal in D3/S3. That said, I'll have to pay special attention the next time to see if I notice the same behavior as in you video.

Also, I see quite a few folks talking about the delay at drive off, but I wonder if they've accidentally turned on auto hill assist. It happened to me and I thought something was wrong with the car. I only mention it because it looks like yours "on" based on the "Auto H" at the top right of your gauge cluster.

What's also strange to me is that you have two widgets on your M-Mode gauge cluster. For some reason as soon as I switch to M-Mode I lose my right widget....I've found the correct settings in the menus to add one, but I don't have the option for the righthand side. I thought it was some weird oversight, but seeing yours makes me think a)I'm an idiot and am missing something simple of b) I actually have a problem.

2022 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 1