BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

12-03-2021, 10:47 AM   #1
mile2424
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

G80 AWD vs Taycan....

Anyone compared or been thinking about these two before making a decision? I know totally different ends of the spectrum.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 07:09 PM   #2
sJohnny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition XDrive SPY

Garage List
I did briefly consider it as an option. Both the Taycan and the G8X styling are right up my alley, and I don't really consider myself a more purist automotive enthusiast in the sense that I have to have an ICE to have fun.

The way I see it, I view the Taycan the same as the M5. While they're unique for obvious powertrain reasons, they both target that same large performance sedan market. ( Not a great description, but you know what I mean )

I was looking for a smaller more nimble performance sedan around 90k or so. The Taycan is bigger than I'd prefer and more than I'd want to spend when optioned the way I would like, even with applicable tax benefits.
      12-07-2021, 12:51 PM   #3
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by sJohnny View Post
I did briefly consider it as an option. Both the Taycan and the G8X styling are right up my alley, and I don't really consider myself a more purist automotive enthusiast in the sense that I have to have an ICE to have fun.

The way I see it, I view the Taycan the same as the M5. While they're unique for obvious powertrain reasons, they both target that same large performance sedan market. ( Not a great description, but you know what I mean )

I was looking for a smaller more nimble performance sedan around 90k or so. The Taycan is bigger than I'd prefer and more than I'd want to spend when optioned the way I would like, even with applicable tax benefits.
Are there applicable tax benefits to evs at that price point? I thought those stopped at like 75k…in the us at least
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 01:28 PM   #4
sJohnny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition XDrive SPY

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sJohnny View Post

Are there applicable tax benefits to evs at that price point? I thought those stopped at like 75k…in the us at least
As of now, there is no max MSRP limit on the federal EV tax credit. The amount you can be credited depends on the kWh size of the battery, as well as how many EVs the manufacturer has sold. The Taycan qualifies for the full $7,500. Your particular state could have an additional credit with its own potential limitations etc.

Now, this is all subject to change as a result of the Build Back Better bill, which could very well implement MSRP limits etc.

As a disclaimer, I'm just some computer nerd on an internet forum, not a tax professional. This is just my understanding based on the research that I've done.

Here's a Department Of Energy website that allows you to search the applicable Federal Tax benefits for a particular EV: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml
      05-16-2022, 08:36 AM   #5
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
I am kinda in the same boat right now and did a quick analysis of a G80x specced the way I want vs. a Taycan 4 cross turismo (base wagon) configured to my specs as well. ($89,000 vs. $122,000)

The raw delta between the cars is $33,000 but after the "EV savings" it looks like this:

-$7,500 federal rebate
-$8,000 gas savings (4 years - this could go up with the way gas is looking)
-$4,000 for maintenance items (oil, brakes, etc.)
-$1,000 insurance savings (over 4 years vs. M3)
=$20,500 "EV Savings"

New delta between the cars is $12,500.

I need another go in a Taycan (maybe this week) to see if I think that it's worth the premium. My dealer does have an open allocation for one now so I would want to decide quickly.
Appreciate 3
      05-16-2022, 08:56 AM   #6
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

I thought about it, and spec'd same the Taycan 4S came out waaaay more. In my area the insurance and registration are about 30% more for an EV. My state has the 2nd or 3rd cheapest electricity in US (10.22 cents per), but I don't keep cars long enough to justify, in my mind, the huge delta.
In my opinion the Taycan is gorgeous outside, and makes me excited for the EV Cayman in 2025/26. Just sold my Tesla, don't miss it, but already miss the convenience and frugality of plugging in at home.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2022, 11:30 PM   #7
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Taycan is physically closer to the M3 than the M5, and is significantly faster than the M3 even in its entry model form. Also there is the Porsche luxury premium inside and out.

Regarding the driving dynamic, the M will excel at the limit but Taycan is easier and stronger until you push hard enough to see the weight and temperature burden with the battery.
PLF693762.50
      05-29-2022, 06:31 PM   #8
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap27 View Post
I thought so too that it top out at $80k msrp after options and worse it isn’t fully applicable if your income exceeds $250k/$500k single/joint and starts phasing out. But maybe the income thing never passed congress?

It’s a really stupid limit since many of the new EVs including trucks are luxury vehicles where both of these easily come into play. If this is an environmental bill it make no sense to limit it by income. If it’s yet another Robin Hood incentive, yeah then it makes sense.

I was contemplating a Rivian R1T until I realized, no credit for me. At msrp it just isn’t worth it to me.

Last edited by solstice; 05-29-2022 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 05:41 PM   #9
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep

The Taycan is my ideal for now and then the EV Macan will be. But I am not paying Porsche price for pre solid state battery.
So the leading candidate for luxury interior, high tech, and performance is next year's release of Kia EV6 GT or the Ioniq 5 N. Think it's $65K USD before Fed incentives aka $100,000 USD less than the Taycan I want.
https://www.autodaily.com.au/new-202...-for-430kw-ev/
https://www.carscoops.com/2022/05/20...ing-this-year/
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2022, 06:24 AM   #10
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
So the leading candidate for luxury interior, high tech, and performance is next year's release of Kia EV6 GT or the Ioniq 5 N.
With all due respect, can we really consider a Kia a "luxury" brand?

FWIW, I owned an G82 and once drove a Taycan. Even if the cost was the same, I'd still lean toward the G8x even if I couldn't get it with a proper set of 3 pedals.

I've owned 6 Porsches: 911, Boxster and Panamera. They are great cars, beautifully assembled with wonderful performance. But at heart they are sports cars, not luxury cars, barely even GT cars. If you've ever owned a BMW 7 series or Audi A8, MB S-class, Bentley, etc. you'll understand the difference.

Not saying that they're bad, not at all, just that they are not luxury cars. And neither is a Kia.

I wonder what the OP did?
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 3
YamaLink425.00
Dnshift141.50
      05-31-2022, 07:46 AM   #11
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
With all due respect, can we really consider a Kia a "luxury" brand?
No, Kia is definitely not, and the high-tech sporty EV6 GT is not; it was more of a reflection on my needs in the next EV with an interior not so spartan and economy as my Tesla + my inability to fork over the coin for a Taycan.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 01:26 PM   #12
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep

It's all relative

Mailroom errand today. Young man asks about my car. Says he wants an M5 one day. I walk toward entrance and see the car that makes me drool like the young man does over M's: Porsche Taycan Turbo. It's all relative, the fun toy passion.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2022, 05:46 PM   #13
tooshay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20+M3 badge

Quote:
Mailroom errand today. Young man asks about my car. Says he wants an M5 one day. I walk toward entrance and see the car that makes me drool like the young man does over M's: Porsche Taycan Turbo. It's all relative, the fun toy passion.
So you have an M and drool over an appliance sitting in the parking lot. Lol.
      06-01-2022, 06:56 PM   #14
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooshay View Post
Pretty much. I'm a closet P Car fanboy. My Tesla Model 3 AWD LR was the epitome of appliance. I think there are a few EVs today that are sweet (Taycan and Plaid), and the EV Cayman has my name all over it in 2025.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 08:12 AM   #15
tooshay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20+M3 badge

Quote:
Pretty much. I'm a closet P Car fanboy. My Tesla Model 3 AWD LR was the epitome of appliance. I think there are a few EVs today that are sweet (Taycan and Plaid), and the EV Cayman has my name all over it in 2025.
My m3p gets me to work and home, and I can’t wait for my days off so that I can drive my m3 to meets, hit the canyons and mountain passes. I love Porsches also but not practical for my life style.
      07-27-2022, 02:36 PM   #16
mattingly23
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

vs. Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schn3ll View Post
I am kinda in the same boat right now and did a quick analysis of a G80x specced the way I want vs. a Taycan 4 cross turismo (base wagon) configured to my specs as well. ($89,000 vs. $122,000)

The raw delta between the cars is $33,000 but after the "EV savings" it looks like this:

-$7,500 federal rebate
-$8,000 gas savings (4 years - this could go up with the way gas is looking)
-$4,000 for maintenance items (oil, brakes, etc.)
-$1,000 insurance savings (over 4 years vs. M3)
=$20,500 "EV Savings"

New delta between the cars is $12,500.

I need another go in a Taycan (maybe this week) to see if I think that it's worth the premium. My dealer does have an open allocation for one now so I would want to decide quickly.

Curious what you ended up doing?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 01:46 AM   #17
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooshay View Post
Have you actually ever driven said "appliance"?

Granted, it's more money, but that's besides the point. The Taycan 4S/Turbo/Turbo S is a ridiculously capable car with an interior that's significantly more luxurious feeling than the G80. One might have certain preferences over interior wants (physical buttons vs. capacitive) but overall, I can't imagine many, if any, people saying that the G80 has a better interior than the Taycan. But again, they're leagues apart in pricing so it's fine.

But don't lump all EV's together. Tesla's cars are made for the masses that can be considered "appliances" because they're just a one trick pony. However, Porsche created a car that's genuinely capable for fun driving around twisty roads with face melting straight line performance. I've got a fair bit of time behind the wheel of a Turbo S, and it made me think twice about what I thought was fast. For reference, I was daily driving a 991 GT3 at the time when the dealership tried getting me into a Taycan Turbo S, they loaned one out to me for a bit while servicing the GT3 - it impressed me quite a bit.

Don't knock it 'till you try it.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 2
      07-28-2022, 12:05 PM   #18
Buddym850icoupe
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i coupe, C43amg sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Taycan is physically closer to the M3 than the M5, and is significantly faster than the M3 even in its entry model form. Also there is the Porsche luxury premium inside and out.

Regarding the driving dynamic, the M will excel at the limit but Taycan is easier and stronger until you push hard enough to see the weight and temperature burden with the battery.
A base taycan is not significantly faster or faster at all, compared to M3. It's actually significantly slower. The car weights 1000lbs more and has 150 horses less. A Taycan 4s which is not entry level, would be close on 0-60 and slower at quarter mile. You would need to go all the way to a gts to get something marginally faster on a straight line and to a turbo to get something significantly faster. Also, all dimensions for the taycan, length, width, weight, are closer to m5 than to m3.
Appreciate 2
Vic5518961.00
Jobe10176.50
      07-29-2022, 12:36 AM   #19
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddym850icoupe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post

A base taycan is not significantly faster or faster at all, compared to M3. It's actually significantly slower. The car weights 1000lbs more and has 150 horses less. A Taycan 4s which is not entry level, would be close on 0-60 and slower at quarter mile. You would need to go all the way to a gts to get something marginally faster on a straight line and to a turbo to get something significantly faster. Also, all dimensions for the taycan, length, width, weight, are closer to m5 than to m3.
The perception of power is a bit different than comparing numbers on paper (available but often gotten with full preparation). Instead, it has a lot to do with power on tap and middle to low speed acceleration, where Taycan base is way ahead. As I mentioned, I have no doubt the M is dynamically better when you push. You simply need to work more to get the performance.
      07-29-2022, 03:50 AM   #20
figuec56
Daniel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 330eX

Garage List
2023 BMW 330ex  [0.00]
Have you had a chance to drive a taycan yet? While it is an amazing car. I felt like my G83 was more comfortable and more fun to drive than taycan. Also I didn't like steering wheel of the taycan.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2022, 08:56 AM   #21
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBII G82 6MT

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
I look towards the Taycan time to time. Driven it, used it for about a week. I do most my test drives on the highways and then the North Georgia Mountains to get a feel for how it dailies and its driving dynamics. Fun car, practical in size but the range... well I mean the range is about as much as you'd get from the G8x but I suppose it matters more for EVs due to lack of infrastructure. I generally see no negatives in the vehicle besides the the lack of charging stations which is not the car's fault. In the wake of all EV's in the near future, this car is a good start. However for the time being, I'm a simple guy... I need sound !

The m4 has been a very competent roading partner, and I'm glad I picked it above the other options I had on my list (AMG GT, Taycan, Cayman, Alfa QF, C63s, M8). It's just the right amount of car for me. Sure the other vehicles excel at certain things better than the G8x, but overall the G8x did everything I wanted it to do well: tech, dynamics, sound, looks, practicality, and fun.

Depending on the trim, Taycan will be a bullet train while being very weighty around corners. It has sleek designs and a better interior. It's just not as fun to me compared to the G8x. So in essence, different strokes for different folks. We are all not the same, outside of enjoying cars!

P.S. I am keeping my eyes out for the Electric Cayman.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2022, 11:56 AM   #22
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
Have you actually ever driven said "appliance"?

Granted, it's more money, but that's besides the point. The Taycan 4S/Turbo/Turbo S is a ridiculously capable car with an interior that's significantly more luxurious feeling than the G80. One might have certain preferences over interior wants (physical buttons vs. capacitive) but overall, I can't imagine many, if any, people saying that the G80 has a better interior than the Taycan. But again, they're leagues apart in pricing so it's fine.

But don't lump all EV's together. Tesla's cars are made for the masses that can be considered "appliances" because they're just a one trick pony. However, Porsche created a car that's genuinely capable for fun driving around twisty roads with face melting straight line performance. I've got a fair bit of time behind the wheel of a Turbo S, and it made me think twice about what I thought was fast. For reference, I was daily driving a 991 GT3 at the time when the dealership tried getting me into a Taycan Turbo S, they loaned one out to me for a bit while servicing the GT3 - it impressed me quite a bit.

Don't knock it 'till you try it.
I don't know about masses, Most EV cars including Tesla are 60k plus and the average consumer can't afford them. I would bet a decent percentage of owners are stretching to afford them. Hell that's everything now.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0