BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-26-2022, 10:42 PM   #1
2022M4COMP
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 COMP

Genius secrets. Look inside!

I just wanted to share a few things I wish I had known when starting my order process in regards to BMW genius. If anyone has anything to add please do so below.

First, BMW genius is quiet possibly the worst computerized AI customer service you will ever experience in your life. I apologize if you have not found these tips sooner. I don't know what the head at bmw were thinking when they developed this program. It is in the worst British accent, and it cuts out every other word.

The system asks you to say "agent" to which you to, only to just repeat itself 5 more times. No combination of buttons seems to work.
You are stuck in an endless cycle of trying to get a human and all you have accomplished is pissing your self more off, while just tying to get some info on your car.

So here is what I've learned calling all the time.

This first tip is from the user Merlin, when you first call just button mash #9#9 over and over again until it says please wait for an agent.

My second tip is while you wait on hold forever, attempt to press 1, sometime I don't know why only sometimes, but sometimes it will trigger a prompt allowing you to save your place in line.
You then will go through a prompt of questions which in shorthand will be: 1,1,1,2
First press=asking for a callback
Second press= do you want us to call you back on this number
Third press= confirming your phone number
Fourth press=1 for an extension, 2 for no extension.

Now I have had the genius call me back about 50% of the time which is very frustrating as they claim to save your spot in line. So if they tell you it's less than 15 callers in front of you, I'd just wait (the system only says this sometimes idk why)

Now for my most useful tip, call around 7PM central time!

Usually no wait and you get through to someone very fast. Now they aren't of much help but at least you can talk to someone with ease. From what I can see the worst time to call is in the morning. The only caveat to this is if you want to be transferred to another department they may have left for the night, such as financial.

Anyways like I said if you have any other top tips be sure to share them for all to know!
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2022, 11:00 PM   #2
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

When I call Genius, I say "no" when the automated service asks if I'm calling about a lease or loan, hit 0, then hit 0 again, then input 2022 for the MY I'm calling about, say "yes" to the automated system confirming the year, and then get connected to a live agent in about a minute or so after first dialing. I might've missed a step but that's generally how it goes.

When dealing with an automated system, most of the times, hitting 0 eventually gets you to a live person. In Genius' case, you just need to know the right combination of 0.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 1
BRJ1243284.00
      01-26-2022, 11:13 PM   #3
2022M4COMP
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
When I call Genius, I say "no" when the automated service asks if I'm calling about a lease or loan, hit 0, then hit 0 again, then input 2022 for the MY I'm calling about, say "yes" to the automated system confirming the year, and then get connected to a live agent in about a minute or so after first dialing. I might've missed a step but that's generally how it goes.

When dealing with an automated system, most of the times, hitting 0 eventually gets you to a live person. In Genius' case, you just need to know the right combination of 0.
It's the worst system ever if you use it as intended though, agree?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 06:59 AM   #4
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

I work in I/T so complaints like this are interesting (and often disappointing) to hear. Speaking of hearing... many years ago I was a programmer for a technology firm, and the guy across the hall from me was working on one of those phone tree systems (pre-AI) "Press 1 for finance, press 2 for sales" and he had recorded all of the messages himself (before they hired a pro for the final version) and he was constantly testing the system, on his speaker phone, and it just drove me crazy...

Sorry, I digress.

I read an article once about these systems, and some of them are smart enough to listen to you and respond to words not normally expected. In other words, if you start swearing at the system, repeatedly, presumably that will get you connected with a live person immediately.

Just a thought. At a minimum, it will make you feel better.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
smaglik520.00
      01-27-2022, 09:07 AM   #5
theryan702
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Comp xDrive

In all honesty, the only reason to call Genius for anything during build process after you're scheduled for production is to get your shipping carrier info...otherwise, your CA will give you the same info they do and you'll get a faster response.

Genius will have no information about how long you'll are/will be stuck in QC or at the VPC. Just watch your BMW Garage, and once it flips to "In Transit" the first time after leaving the factory, then you can call and get the shipping carrier info to track it.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 09:34 AM   #6
raywai2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I will add one thing… Based on my observation on people’s ordering timeline, MyGarage tracking doesn’t receive any updates during the weekends but Genius’ system gets more frequent (or even real time) updates. Out of so many order timelines that I have looked at, I have not seen a single MyGarage status change dated on a Saturday or Sunday.

For example, if your car arrived at port on a Saturday, you won’t see any update until Monday. But if you call Genius, they would be able to tell you any movement during the weekend.

My car arrived at port on Saturday according to Genius but MyGarage status didn’t change until Monday. Several ships left port on Saturday and Sunday and a bunch of people getting the In Transit change on Monday morning.

Genius is good for when you want an update during the weekend, otherwise most of the time they are not very useful.

Last edited by raywai2; 01-27-2022 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 11:05 AM   #7
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
My advice for calling the Genius (aside from trying to find out build week) is don't. They're useless. If I had a dollar for every time they told me they don't know, I'd have enough for my flight up to PCD.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 02:39 PM   #8
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3/ Yas Marina Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022M4COMP View Post
I just wanted to share a few things I wish I had known when starting my order process in regards to BMW genius. If anyone has anything to add please do so below.

First, BMW genius is quiet possibly the worst computerized AI customer service you will ever experience in your life. I apologize if you have not found these tips sooner. I don't know what the head at bmw were thinking when they developed this program. It is in the worst British accent, and it cuts out every other word.

The system asks you to say "agent" to which you to, only to just repeat itself 5 more times. No combination of buttons seems to work.
You are stuck in an endless cycle of trying to get a human and all you have accomplished is pissing your self more off, while just tying to get some info on your car.

So here is what I've learned calling all the time.

This first tip is from the user Merlin, when you first call just button mash #9#9 over and over again until it says please wait for an agent.

My second tip is while you wait on hold forever, attempt to press 1, sometime I don't know why only sometimes, but sometimes it will trigger a prompt allowing you to save your place in line.
You then will go through a prompt of questions which in shorthand will be: 1,1,1,2
First press=asking for a callback
Second press= do you want us to call you back on this number
Third press= confirming your phone number
Fourth press=1 for an extension, 2 for no extension.

Now I have had the genius call me back about 50% of the time which is very frustrating as they claim to save your spot in line. So if they tell you it's less than 15 callers in front of you, I'd just wait (the system only says this sometimes idk why)

Now for my most useful tip, call around 7PM central time!

Usually no wait and you get through to someone very fast. Now they aren't of much help but at least you can talk to someone with ease. From what I can see the worst time to call is in the morning. The only caveat to this is if you want to be transferred to another department they may have left for the night, such as financial.

Anyways like I said if you have any other top tips be sure to share them for all to know!

I’ve called probably 2 dozen times and never had any of that happen. I think I only have had to wait for an agent once on an apparently busy day. Every other time I’ve been talking to someone within 2 minutes of calling. I think you’re calling either the wrong line or just have terrible luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 07:40 PM   #9
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
I called right now as I read the thread. Beyond having a terrible experience speaking to the AI, as soon as it figured out I wanted an agent, I was on the phone with them without any wait.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 10:58 PM   #10
2022M4COMP
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post
I called right now as I read the thread. Beyond having a terrible experience speaking to the AI, as soon as it figured out I wanted an agent, I was on the phone with them without any wait.
Maybe it's just the time zone your in. When I call in the morning it tells me there are like 50 callers ahead of me. Especially on mondays
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 05:11 PM   #11
wowwitsgau
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000 x2, 2022 M3 Comp

Garage List
Quote:

Exactly this. This is the easiest way, no need for all the workarounds in the OP. I have also never experienced a wait in all the times I’ve called either fwiw
Appreciate 1
BRJ1243284.00
      01-04-2023, 09:20 AM   #12
Mstpolo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4CS

Dumbest question of all…. Apologies…. New here… what’s the actual Genius #
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 09:36 AM   #13
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstpolo View Post
dumbest question of all…. Apologies…. New here… what’s the actual genius #
(844) 443-6487
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 09:42 AM   #14
Mstpolo
Private
Rep

Thanks.. just called them to find out (no big surprises) that the ports are clogged with cars and the carrier giant BMW uses (Wallenius Wilhelmsen) is refusing auto exports (from November into possibly January). The build up is extending receipts of customer cars from 4-6 weeks to over 2 to 3 months in some cases!!! So…. NO ONE knows exactly when these cars will make it to USA shores…. Highly disappointed an auto behemoth like BMW can’t give better updates or find better solutions….
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 01:43 PM   #15
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstpolo View Post
Thanks.. just called them to find out (no big surprises) that the ports are clogged with cars and the carrier giant BMW uses (Wallenius Wilhelmsen) is refusing auto exports (from November into possibly January). The build up is extending receipts of customer cars from 4-6 weeks to over 2 to 3 months in some cases!!! So…. NO ONE knows exactly when these cars will make it to USA shores…. Highly disappointed an auto behemoth like BMW can’t give better updates or find better solutions….
Strange as there are several boats dropping off at Oxnard starting tomorrow, 1/6, 1/14, and 1/26. All of those left in December from Germany
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 02:14 PM   #16
Mstpolo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears View Post
Strange as there are several boats dropping off at Oxnard starting tomorrow, 1/6, 1/14, and 1/26. All of those left in December from Germany

Just what I was told. 120,000 cars sitting at the port with an “employee hiring” problem causing them serious issues.. from Europe to Europe” the problems aren’t bad, from Europe to USA…. No Bene!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 05:05 PM   #17
M3ANSPEC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18’ M3 Competition

Bro I read the first couple sentence and saw the word agent and got shivers down my spine.

When I was tracking my G80 during the ordering process, I dreaded calling BMW Genius. I would be at work yelling into my phone “AGENT, AGENT, AYYYY-GENTTTT”

Thank God I finally got my car and don’t have to call that number again…..for now 😏
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 05:12 PM   #18
MichaelB1969
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Base SSG/Fiona

I was told that a better number to call for tracking the status of a car is customer relations at 800-831-1117.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 07:21 PM   #19
BRJ1243
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:

That's my route as well
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 06:19 AM   #20
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Here's a shocking, off-the-wall, out-of-the-box idea for those of you who find the "genius" to be lacking, and you want an order status on your car:

Call your SA. He/she can find out nearly everything themselves.

My last experience with a "genius" was me calling about an issue with my Alpina B7. I couldn't get the phone BT to work with text messaging. After 20+ minutes on the phone with the nice lady, who politely suggested that perhaps I should just buy a newer phone, she stopped and asked me, again, what model year my car was. "2018" I replied.

"Oh, that's too old," she said, "we don't support any car older than 3 years."

"But it's still under warranty!" I exclaimed.

"Sorry."
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 11:28 AM   #21
Turbodu07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6SP

Genius speaks garble. Agents are nice but didn't have correct information for me. Really not sure how that can even happen. Don't bother.

While going through the buying process, Genius told me a few things that were completely off so for me it was a complete waste of time and very frustrating trying to get an agent.
Appreciate 0