BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-16-2022, 11:00 AM   #45
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
I've had my manual M4 for a couple weeks now as well and love the car. I do agree the 1-2 shift at WOT you have to lead with the clutch a little more than the other gears. In some manual cars when you WOT shift you can simultaneously hit the clutch and start the pull out of gear. (TR6060 for example) With this car 1-2 you need to lead a little bit with the clutch press first. It's just a split second timing thing but it helps a ton. 2-3-5-6 are all normal though.

One thing I noticed with this car is how they programming the boost curve down low. It gives a little spike and then drops slightly and stays flat across. I'd rather they have the spike and keep it flat across without the drop. It makes the part throttle / versus WOT at lower rpms feel a little odd. Again not a big deal but I notice it.

Features, comfort, seats, space, performance and handling all incredible with the car. Absolutely love it.
Attached Images

01-16-2022, 11:13 AM   #46
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Shift quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Pete View Post
The Transmission - That is my number one gripe so far, is the shifting, particularly the well documented rough 1-2 shift. It is actually one of the primary reasons I didn't buy the M2C or M2 CS, they both had that too (sort of in a different way), and I was worried I wouldn't get used to it. The Porsches felt much more natural and smooth shifting, which was one of the reasons I went that direction, but just as much so it was that glorious 4.0L naturally aspirated engine that revs to 8K RPMs. Back to the M3, I am getting used to it, a little. Thanks so much to you guys here, there were some great tips on how to best execute that 1-2 shift, and that has helped a lot. I did do the BMS Clutch Stop mod the first day I had the car, that helped a lot with regards to clutch feel, it got rid of that weird "bottomless clutch" feeling, but for me it didn't seem to help with the 1-2 shift. But like I said, I do feel better about it now, I am starting to get used it.
On my F82 manual I found the shifting continued to improve up to about 10k miles and I have no complaints about it now at 45k. Is this one much different?

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 01:39 PM   #47
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8ighty View Post
This thread makes me a little nervous for my first MT vehicle… maybe it's a good thing since I don't have the habits from a different MT?

I had motorcycles for many years and driven a couple MT vehicles with very little seat time.

The 600 mile drop from PCD should be fun.
Don't worry you'll love it.
The more miles I put on the replacement transmission has me convinced that mine wasn't right from the day I took delivery. As I mentioned it feels much better. I still think there's room for improvement but this has been the case with every car I've driven. The exceptions are most Porsche's and the NSX & S2000.

Before the transmission replacement, I was considering swapping for an M3 Comp Xdrive. I was fortunate to get an extended drive of a Comp Xdrive. It felt like a totally different car. The grip especially in wet conditions was fantastic. But after 30min of driving, I began to miss the manual. For me, if I'm not shifting I'm not driving.
Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 6
amuk148.00
G8ighty246.50
IL Pete133.50
2011ninja3322.50
jas1651430.00
      01-16-2022, 10:31 PM   #48
IL Pete
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, G87 M2 coming

Quote:
This thread makes me a little nervous for my first MT vehicle… maybe it's a good thing since I don't have the habits from a different MT?

I had motorcycles for many years and driven a couple MT vehicles with very little seat time.

Don't be nervous - it should be fine.

My issue is having two manual cars and going back and forth between them, and how different they are. (First world problems, I know!)

With the Clutch Stop and CDV Delete, it is pretty darn good. I went out for another long country road drive today (just under 100 miles), and I am getting very used to it now.
Appreciate 1
G8ighty246.50
      01-16-2022, 10:40 PM   #49
MTM3
mt4life
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:

I’ve had a few BMW 6MT and they all drive similarly.
Doesn’t matter since this is the last manual German sport sedan.
Appreciate 2
G8ighty246.50
IL Pete133.50
      01-17-2022, 02:44 AM   #50
G8ighty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22’ G80 M3 6mt

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 09:03 AM   #51
IL Pete
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by translux View Post
Before the transmission replacement, I was considering swapping for an M3 Comp Xdrive. I was fortunate to get an extended drive of a Comp Xdrive. It felt like a totally different car. The grip especially in wet conditions was fantastic. But after 30min of driving, I began to miss the manual. For me, if I'm not shifting I'm not driving.
Great that you got an extended test drive in an M3 Comp Drive! Thanks for the comments, I fear that the result would be the same for me, that in some ways I would like it better, but that at the end of the day I would regret it as I would miss the shifting.

I test drove both the Manual and the Comp (RWD) back to back in May, and I did come to the conclusion that the ZF Auto in the Comp was better suited to the engine. I remember one of the reviewers on YouTube said that and said "Get the Auto - UNLESS you are a diehard Manual fan, then get the Manual". I think I am a diehard Manual fan, so I should probably stick with the Manual.

So I mentioned I took the car out for a spirited 100 mile drive yesterday. It was the most fun I have had in the car so far!

A few more comments on the car:
-I thought it would feel big and heavy. It does sort of feel big, but not too bad. I adored my E39 540i Sport 6-Speed, and it feels like that, in a good way. I also had an E46 M3 Convertible Manual, it does feel way bigger than that of course, the M2 Comp/CS felt A LOT like that. (I may get the next Gen M2 when it comes out, assuming they offer it in a Manual.) But it doesn't really feel heavy to me. It masks its weight very well! Accelerating it has plenty of power, so you don't feel it there. The brakes are phenomenal, you don't feel it there. The chassis is incredibly well balanced and neutral, so you don't really feel it hustling it through turns.
-The steering feel is actually pretty good. You don't feel the contours of the road like in my 718, but that's not really a fair comparison as the 718 steering is off the charts awesome. With the M3, while you don't feel the contours of the road, the steering is very direct and responsive. It is not at all "dead on center". I can't stand cars that are dead on center, my wife's SUV (Durango R/T) is like that, and I avoid driving it when I can because of that. The M3 steering is very good IMO in both Comfort and in Sport. I prefer it in Sport for spirited driving, but Comfort is quite good too.
-I think the 1-2 shift will be easier when I get the 1200 mile service done, and I can take it to redline. Where it seems to be most awkward is between 4000 and 6000 RPM. I think it will be easier when I can do it either at less than 4000 RPM, and over 6000 RPM up to redline.

I am much more impressed with this car than I thought I would be. The M3 version truly is the last manual sports sedan. But even in the Auto, it is probably the best front-engined sporty 4-5 seat car out there under $100K, M3 or M4. I can't think of another one that I would rate even close. There isn't one.

Other than perhaps the outgoing M2 CS, which is pretty amazing, but selling used for over $100K in today's crazy market. I had a new one at MSRP that I almost bought, drove it before I executed the deal on it, and decided to pass and go for the 718 instead (partially due to the 1-2 shift). No regrets at all on that, I love the 718. It actually all turned out fine, because I am finding the combination of the 718 and the M3 is going to be absolutely the best two car combination for me!
Appreciate 4
amuk148.00
2011ninja3322.50
translux478.00
02M3ForMe4255.50
      01-17-2022, 10:55 AM   #52
amuk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus RX350

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by translux View Post
Great that you got an extended test drive in an M3 Comp Drive! Thanks for the comments, I fear that the result would be the same for me, that in some ways I would like it better, but that at the end of the day I would regret it as I would miss the shifting.

I test drove both the Manual and the Comp (RWD) back to back in May, and I did come to the conclusion that the ZF Auto in the Comp was better suited to the engine. I remember one of the reviewers on YouTube said that and said "Get the Auto - UNLESS you are a diehard Manual fan, then get the Manual". I think I am a diehard Manual fan, so I should probably stick with the Manual.

So I mentioned I took the car out for a spirited 100 mile drive yesterday. It was the most fun I have had in the car so far!

A few more comments on the car:
-I thought it would feel big and heavy. It does sort of feel big, but not too bad. I adored my E39 540i Sport 6-Speed, and it feels like that, in a good way. I also had an E46 M3 Convertible Manual, it does feel way bigger than that of course, the M2 Comp/CS felt A LOT like that. (I may get the next Gen M2 when it comes out, assuming they offer it in a Manual.) But it doesn't really feel heavy to me. It masks its weight very well! Accelerating it has plenty of power, so you don't feel it there. The brakes are phenomenal, you don't feel it there. The chassis is incredibly well balanced and neutral, so you don't really feel it hustling it through turns.
-The steering feel is actually pretty good. You don't feel the contours of the road like in my 718, but that's not really a fair comparison as the 718 steering is off the charts awesome. With the M3, while you don't feel the contours of the road, the steering is very direct and responsive. It is not at all "dead on center". I can't stand cars that are dead on center, my wife's SUV (Durango R/T) is like that, and I avoid driving it when I can because of that. The M3 steering is very good IMO in both Comfort and in Sport. I prefer it in Sport for spirited driving, but Comfort is quite good too.
-I think the 1-2 shift will be easier when I get the 1200 mile service done, and I can take it to redline. Where it seems to be most awkward is between 4000 and 6000 RPM. I think it will be easier when I can do it either at less than 4000 RPM, and over 6000 RPM up to redline.

I am much more impressed with this car than I thought I would be. The M3 version truly is the last manual sports sedan. But even in the Auto, it is probably the best front-engined sporty 4-5 seat car out there under $100K, M3 or M4. I can't think of another one that I would rate even close. There isn't one.

Other than perhaps the outgoing M2 CS, which is pretty amazing, but selling used for over $100K in today's crazy market. I had a new one at MSRP that I almost bought, drove it before I executed the deal on it, and decided to pass and go for the 718 instead (partially due to the 1-2 shift). No regrets at all on that, I love the 718. It actually all turned out fine, because I am finding the combination of the 718 and the M3 is going to be absolutely the best two car combination for me!
I actually would love to know where you go for a 100 mile spirited drive around Chicagoland. 90% of the roads out here are straight and boring.

Great write up btw! Was an awesome read.
Appreciate 1
IL Pete133.50
      01-23-2022, 09:21 AM   #53
IL Pete
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update here:

I got the 1200 mile service done, so now I can light it up with regards to RPMs. All I can say now is WOW! This car is really terrific when you are hustling it and using all the RPMs.

1st is short for me for what I am used to with the 718, I have run out of RPMs a few times and hit the rev limiter. I am sure I will get used to that.

I turned on M Traction Control for the first time. OMG, that is great fun! That is going to greatly decrease the life of my rear tires. That will get expensive, no doubt! But worth it.

I said previously that I was thinking about upgrading to an XDrive Comp. I take that back. I *love* this car in Manual. With the CDV Delete done, it is much better. I am also getting used to the 1-2 shift. It is actually easier above 6000 RPM, I am finding since my 1200 mile service. So it is easier below 3500 to 4000 RPM, not too bad above 6000 RPM, most difficult 4000 to 6000 RPM for some reason. But overall I am getting used to it, so I am fine with it now. Yesterday I drove the M3 back to back to the 718, and I found I was able to more quickly adapt to the 718 after being used to the M3.

Yesterday I also stopped by a BMW dealer and test drove an X4M as a proxy for the M3 Comp XDrive, and played with the shifting with the paddles and with the shifter. It was okay, but I found it was not nearly as engaging of a driving experience as the Manual, for me. Pass - I will stick with the Manual! (Save the Manuals!)

The other thing that I am discovering is that the stock M Sport Seats don't provide great support for me. I am 5'9" and thin/athletic. Visually it looks like the M Sport Seats have a lot of bolstering, but the bolsters are too far apart and I slide around a decent amount with spirited driving.

So I am thinking maybe the Carbon Buckets might a better fit for me. I am sure my wife would hate them, but I don't think she would be coming with me too much anyway, we will just drive her SUV when we go out together. (She has a Durango R/T as I mentioned, not bad - but we are discussing maybe upgrading to an X5 or X7 next year, she likes the BMWs too. We had a first-get X5 back in the day and really liked it.)

I have buyer's remorse on getting Black anyway, so I might longer term do a new one of these in a Manual with the Carbon Buckets and a different exterior color (Oxide Grey or Aventurin Red?) and a more interesting Interior Color...

I am now convinced this is the very best option for me for a DD and a complement to the 718. All the others are off the list. Amazing car! I love it.

Last edited by IL Pete; 01-23-2022 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 6
amuk148.00
2011ninja3322.50
02M3ForMe4255.50
translux478.00
mzcp2657.00
      01-26-2022, 09:41 AM   #54
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Quote:
Yesterday I also stopped by a BMW dealer and test drove an X4M as a proxy for the M3 Comp XDrive, and played with the shifting with the paddles and with the shifter. It was okay, but I found it was not nearly as engaging of a driving experience as the Manual, for me. Pass - I will stick with the Manual! (Save the Manuals!)
Transmission aside, what did you think of the X4M compared to G80? Did it feel special (sound, speed, agility) like the G80 or it was just "good for an SUV"?
      01-26-2022, 06:28 PM   #55
IL Pete
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyhank82 View Post
Transmission aside, what did you think of the X4M compared to G80? Did it feel special (sound, speed, agility) like the G80 or it was just "good for an SUV"?
Relative to the M3, it did not at all feel special, to me. Big, heavy, high center of gravity, body roll in turns, all that. It was fast and sounded good, but was not nearly as fun as the M3, in Manual or Auto.

I have come to learn over the years that I am not really an SUV guy. The only SUV I have driven that I have liked is the Macan. I had a 2020 GTS briefly, and it was pretty great, drove like a Sportscar on stilts. Even still, I didn't love it and sold it after a month and bought the Cayman GTS.

My wife drives SUVs. I don't mind riding in it as a Passenger, but I don't enjoy driving it.

The M3 to me is perfect for an allrounder. The RWD is great for the Chicago Winters as long as you have Snow Tires.
Appreciate 3
amuk148.00
bri10425751.00
      01-27-2022, 07:49 AM   #56
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Relative to the M3, it did not at all feel special, to me. Big, heavy, high center of gravity, body roll in turns, all that. It was fast and sounded good, but was not nearly as fun as the M3, in Manual or Auto.

I have come to learn over the years that I am not really an SUV guy. The only SUV I have driven that I have liked is the Macan. I had a 2020 GTS briefly, and it was pretty great, drove like a Sportscar on stilts. Even still, I didn't love it and sold it after a month and bought the Cayman GTS.

My wife drives SUVs. I don't mind riding in it as a Passenger, but I don't enjoy driving it.

The M3 to me is perfect for an allrounder. The RWD is great for the Chicago Winters as long as you have Snow Tires.
Right there with you on it. The only two SUV's I've driven that I somewhat enjoyed were a Macan GTS (an '18? I forget...) and the X3MC that I test drove multiple times. When I think about convenience, and visibility, and other such things, I see the point of moving to an SUV. The gods above and below certainly know that the hatchback would be convenient at Costco...

But driving them, it's been clear on every SUV drive that I've taken that they aren't for me...especially considering my eventual realization that I absolutely had to go back to a manual while I still could.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 10:43 AM   #57
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Manual

IMHO the Stelvio Quadrifoglio is the most engaging SUV I've driven. I'm on the lookout for one atm.
Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 10:58 AM   #58
IL Pete
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Right there with you on it. The only two SUV's I've driven that I somewhat enjoyed were a Macan GTS (an '18? I forget...) and the X3MC that I test drove multiple times. When I think about convenience, and visibility, and other such things, I see the point of moving to an SUV. The gods above and below certainly know that the hatchback would be convenient at Costco...

But driving them, it's been clear on every SUV drive that I've taken that they aren't for me...especially considering my eventual realization that I absolutely had to go back to a manual while I still could.
Yes! All of the above for me too.

If we could get an M3 Touring/Wagon with a Manual is the US, I would be all over that. It wouldn't look as good as the Sedan IMO, but it would be the perfect allrounder. But I don't even think they are offering that as a Manual in Europe, so it is just a hypothetical that will never happen...

(I will stick with the M3 Manual and maybe consider an X5 or X7 for my wife in 2023.)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 05:29 PM   #59
kyleemile
Registered
Rep
Drives: G80

Fellow black-on-black owner who's also having /some/ buyers remorse on not picking a more differentiated color and not getting the Carbon Bucket seats.

The car is so aggressive and in black it's makes it look vicious. Which I love. I often catch myself day dreaming about another color—my issue is I don't like the other colors more than black on this car, but I like the idea of having more "pop".

As for the carbon buckets, I'm 6'2 athletic build and occasionally find myself sliding in seat during spirited drives. Adjusting the bolsters to the highest setting has helped a lot. I haven't had a chance to sit in the carbon buckets yet, but as my daily I fear how annoying and uncomfortable getting in and out of them would be in a daily basis. That being said the CB's are beautiful and differentiated and that's what caused the occasional remorse.

Im leasing for 3 years. Sometimes I consider if I should swap for color and CB's. I'm really bought-in on the G8x platform and might hold out on replacing until lease is up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll make the CS with a manual, despite early rumors pointing the other way.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 05:46 PM   #60
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Did you pay over sticker or get a discount? What part of the US?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 05:49 PM   #61
IL Pete
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmf8x View Post
Did you pay over sticker or get a discount? What part of the US?
$500 off MSRP, agreed when I ordered in August 2021. Comps were MSRP at the time, but they didn't have a waitlist for Base Manuals, so they gave me the $500 discount after some arm twisting. I doubt I would get that today, there is a longer wait now for all models.

Chicago area.
Appreciate 1
bsmf8x777.00
      01-28-2022, 05:54 PM   #62
Tall Tom Cruise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G80 M3

Quote:
Don't be nervous - it should be fine.

My issue is having two manual cars and going back and forth between them, and how different they are. (First world problems, I know!)

With the Clutch Stop and CDV Delete, it is pretty darn good. I went out for another long country road drive today (just under 100 miles), and I am getting very used to it now.
How did you do a CDV delete? I read it was more difficult/impossible/people didn't know how to yet on the G80
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 06:10 PM   #63
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tom Cruise View Post
How did you do a CDV delete? I read it was more difficult/impossible/people didn't know how to yet on the G80
It has been done by a few members here. Either that or you swap the E9X part.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 04:59 PM   #64
IL Pete
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzcp View Post
It has been done by a few members here. Either that or you swap the E9X part.
I did the method of swapping with the E90 part. Worked like a charm!

With the CDV Delete done and a few weeks of driving it, I am really getting used to it now, and not really minding it so much any more. I am more often that not fairly smooth with the 1-2 shift now, at any RPM. (The BMS Clutch Stop is a must-do mod as well, I did that the first day after driving it home.)

It still is an adjustment going back and forth from the 718 and the M3, but today I drove both a decent amount and that was the easiest time I have had so far going back and forth between the two, adjusting quickly and not being annoyed.
Appreciate 3
mzcp2657.00
translux478.00
ChrisM41525.00
      01-29-2022, 05:12 PM   #65
IL Pete
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleemile View Post
Fellow black-on-black owner who's also having /some/ buyers remorse on not picking a more differentiated color and not getting the Carbon Bucket seats.

The car is so aggressive and in black it's makes it look vicious. Which I love. I often catch myself day dreaming about another color—my issue is I don't like the other colors more than black on this car, but I like the idea of having more "pop".

As for the carbon buckets, I'm 6'2 athletic build and occasionally find myself sliding in seat during spirited drives. Adjusting the bolsters to the highest setting has helped a lot. I haven't had a chance to sit in the carbon buckets yet, but as my daily I fear how annoying and uncomfortable getting in and out of them would be in a daily basis. That being said the CB's are beautiful and differentiated and that's what caused the occasional remorse.

Im leasing for 3 years. Sometimes I consider if I should swap for color and CB's. I'm really bought-in on the G8x platform and might hold out on replacing until lease is up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll make the CS with a manual, despite early rumors pointing the other way.
I did put a deposit down for an allocation to get another M3 Base Manual with Carbon Buckets. I am finding the M Sport Seats to not hold me in as tightly as I like (and am used to with the 18 Way Sport Seats in the Cayman). I am pretty sure I will like the Carbon Buckets much better! (I have driven in them, in a test drive last May.)

For color I am pretty sure I am going to do Individual Donington Grey with Fiona Red Full Leather. I am very picky with regards to colors, and while there are a ton of Grey/Silver choices, I want an old school lighter silver with no green or blue, a hint of beige/gold, and a lot of metallic flake. Donington seems to fit the bill.

This time around I am also going to add the Carbon Exterior Package.

Allocation is predicted to come up in April or so. The Individual Paint selection will supposedly add 8-10 weeks to the build slot timing. Fine by me, the LCI starts with July production, it will be interesting to see what changes come with that...

In the meantime, I will enjoy the one I have!

AA Single Midpipe + Axle-Back Exhaust came in today, getting that and Spacers (15mm front, 13mm Rear) installed, hopefully this week.
Appreciate 1
translux478.00
      01-29-2022, 11:19 PM   #66
HNSKP
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M3 base

Garage List
2021 BMW G80 M3  [8.00]
Very nice spec! That silver works well with big German cars which the G80 has now become.

I think you’ll be very happy with the buckets. I find them every bit as comfortable as the 18 way adaptive sport seats on my previous 997. Just takes a little more conscious effort with ingress/egress.

I attended a BMW autocross event with several G80 comps and got to compare both seats. The buckets were much better at holding me in place and also gave me a better sense of the chassis movement/rotation, which I think came down to the lower seatint position and having a larger “contact patch” between the seat and my back and legs.
Appreciate 0