home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-24-2022, 04:32 AM   #243
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmedman View Post
In other news, I traveled up 4 hours to get my Remus axleback fitted to my valvetronic midpipe but no go. I feel like I am cursed.

See the pics attached. The sleeve that goes inside the remus tube on one side and stock midpipe at the other end is not long enough. The reason being the Remus tubes are short and wont link up with the midpipe. I guess the angle is okay. But I wont know for sure unless I check again.

So I am going to ramp up the car again tomorrow and hopefully make a couple of videos. Should I get an exhaust shop to fabricate another sleeve or can the Remus sleeve be extended somehow. I am fairly ignorant when it comes to these things. I dont think the valvetronic clamps will work as the remus tube is a bit fatter.

Any ideas guys.
The silver piece you're holding in your hand looks a lot like the metal shipping insert that was in my Remus exhaust. It was small, looked just like that (going from memory), and was inside each of the long pipes. In my case it was just meant to protect during shipping and was to be discarded. I can't say for sure if that's what you're holding and mine was a full catback for my M550i, but it's what I thought of when seeing your pic. It threw my installer for a loop and I immediately knew it was to be discarded because another person from our group buy had run into this a few days earlier during his install.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 06:00 AM   #244
DimM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40

Quote:
Guys,

I am missing some sort of a spring or adapter for valve control from my remus system. I am going to ask for it tomorrow but in case I am unable to get it, can anyone help out what/where I need to get? Is it a spring or something else that I seem to be missing?

Please see pics below.
Check the installation of the Dahler exhaust. He explains most of the details and am sure he uses the springs you referring to from the original exhaust,so probably is a similar case with the remus exhaust. He even shows how to do it...Think it starts talking about it just before the 13' on the video...

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 01:23 PM   #245
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
The silver piece you're holding in your hand looks a lot like the metal shipping insert that was in my Remus exhaust. It was small, looked just like that (going from memory), and was inside each of the long pipes. In my case it was just meant to protect during shipping and was to be discarded. I can't say for sure if that's what you're holding and mine was a full catback for my M550i, but it's what I thought of when seeing your pic. It threw my installer for a loop and I immediately knew it was to be discarded because another person from our group buy had run into this a few days earlier during his install.
That's the sleeve that connects the remus to stock midpipe. It fits perfectly between the two and gets clamped on either side. I am absolutely certain of this. There is no other connection bits included with the exhaust. Sorry, should have taken pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimM3 View Post
Check the installation of the Dahler exhaust. He explains most of the details and am sure he uses the springs you referring to from the original exhaust,so probably is a similar case with the remus exhaust. He even shows how to do it...Think it starts talking about it just before the 13' on the video...

Thanks. I did check and he doesn't mention that the bit was taken from the stock exhaust. It can't be removed without pending bits holding it in place. We would be essentially damaging the stock spring mechanism. My guess is its included with dahler exhaust.

I did manage to speak to the vendor. Apparently, I was not given the springs when I picked this up and was offered to post them out to me.
Appreciate 1
DimM3302.00
      01-24-2022, 10:40 PM   #246
Xensane
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp

youtube.com/watch?v=RMU0B6G6Ie8

Haven't seen this posted yet. I gotta say, I'm really liking this more subdued version!
chicagofan0019039.50
      01-25-2022, 06:55 AM   #247
DimM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xensane View Post

Haven't seen this posted yet. I gotta say, I'm really liking this more subdued version!
Considering the car still has the opf on ,sounds quite decent!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 08:44 AM   #248
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xensane View Post

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 02:25 PM   #249
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So I had my remus race installed with valvetronic midpipe. Great job as always by Motech performance in the UK.

Honestly, first time the car was started and test run, I was massively relieved that it was not as loud as shmee's car. His car literally shook the ground. The start up sound on my car was as loud as Mike's car (from Motech, see video above), and very refined and uniform, unlike the stock rattling, hoover, blower, metal striking, kind of sound. Mind you, I have yet to experience cold start and I am not looking forward to it

As Mike told me that there is "booming" around 2000 to 2500 rpm and he's spot on as it is quite significant and literally spine tingling and almost ear shattering. After driving the car 100 miles, I feel fullness in my ear as if I descended from a height. Droning is there around 70mph speed and on 7th gear. I can guarantee that you will not be able to tolerate it for more than 30 seconds. Once you shift up into 8th, its almost gone completely. The car however, has a nasty habit of downshifting even at steady speed. Manual will be great here.

I also felt that overall the sound is very "bassy" and seem to overshadow the treble or high pitch sound you normally get from the valvetronic midpipe. Also, the burbles are less defined, separate or clearly demarcated, from the rest of the engine sound. I think there is a bit too much bass and this overshadows the rest of the engine noise. And I love this bit.

As you go up the rev range, I felt it should have sounded louder and clearer and not overtaken or drowned by all the wind noise as much at high speeds. I still have to drive it a bit more to make up my mind but so far, I think the pitch should have increased further and further. It could also have been my folded rear seats as I was carrying that humongous stock muffler and midpipe. Sorry I only have video of stationary car revving up and no drive-by videos yet. No friends to take the videos for me I also understand that its not a Murcielago.

I have also tried to capture the drone in the other video but I don't think its doing it justice. You need to be in 8th gear on motorways or say goodbye to your ears.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the results. I know, if you need that sound clarity, refinement, the stock downpipes will need to go but I think the car will be more like a weekend toy rather than a daily. But I would have still gone for them if I didn't live in a very quiet neighbourhood. My neighbour has a f82 m4 pre-opf and would wish he'll get the MPE so all eyes on him rather than me. One word of warning, once you have installed the remus race, bruce banner is effectively dead. No more stealth mode to rely on. Motech video is spot on, anything beyond the axle back will be loud.

That's all for now that I can think of. Will see how I find the setup over the next couple of weeks. Already have the stock midpipe with in tact secondaries and I can slap it on if I feel its too loud. But my first impression are that it is as loud as I wanted.

Last edited by madmedman; 01-26-2022 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 7
tom @ eas8104.50
AhsanU3826.50
Patton2502938.00
LuckyBrand1243.50
Nkr151120.50
chicagofan0019039.50
OwnerF16841.50
      01-26-2022, 04:59 PM   #250
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

Thanks for the write up madmedman. Here in the U.S. we can't get the full Remus like Shmee had but they do offer a kit that would remove the resonators and leave both sets of cats. I wonder if maybe that might be the right combo? Little less than full midpipe like you have but a little more than just axle back. I had been toying with the idea like you did but was waiting for your review. I really don't like the droning issue your having and I have a manual and wonder if it would be even worse since it revs to 3 grand plus doing highway speeds? I also wonder if going Remus sport over race may help?

Anyway thanks for the feedback and it only helps us members since were just starting to see Remus install/sound clips.
Appreciate 2
Nkr151120.50
madmedman275.00
      01-27-2022, 07:54 AM   #251
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

madmedman was the midpipe and axle-back a direct fit ?

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 09:52 AM   #252
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBrand View Post
Thanks for the write up madmedman. Here in the U.S. we can't get the full Remus like Shmee had but they do offer a kit that would remove the resonators and leave both sets of cats. I wonder if maybe that might be the right combo? Little less than full midpipe like you have but a little more than just axle back. I had been toying with the idea like you did but was waiting for your review. I really don't like the droning issue your having and I have a manual and wonder if it would be even worse since it revs to 3 grand plus doing highway speeds? I also wonder if going Remus sport over race may help?

Anyway thanks for the feedback and it only helps us members since were just starting to see Remus install/sound clips.
No worries at all. I am still in early days of testing it and probably, hopefully, with time, the sound will get better and more refined. I also wonder if the sport version would have been a better choice. The oem muffler does such a good job of getting rid of the drone and only allowing the good sound to come through when you force the valves open. This makes me wonder how good the MPE will sound, ignoring the looks, which i think are interesting.

I also want to let everyone know to try for themselves and listen to it in person. This is my first remus exhaust and my first m car for that matter, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. When I saw my car test driven off after the installation, it sounded brilliant. But for some reason, when i am sitting in the car myself, the booming sound seem to be coming from all directions and its a bit static and doesnt increase proportionally throughout the rev range. It does until 3k rpm and then it seem to disappear, the real sound then takes over and can be heard but not loud enough and "screamy" enough. Sorry if i am not making sense. I really hope to start to love the sound more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
It was. However, the remus link or connecting pipes do not directly come in contact with the valvetronic perfectly (unlike oem which you can cut to size), but since the sleeve that remus supplies is long enough, it is able to cover this gap and the clamps do their job from there.
If you are being OCD, and want both the connections to be right next to each other, then you will need to extend the sleeve by 2 inches or so. But works either way.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 09:56 AM   #253
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It was. However, the remus link or connecting pipes do not directly come in contact with the valvetronic perfectly (unlike oem which you can cut to size), but since the sleeve that remus supplies is long enough, it is able to cover this gap and the clamps do their job from there.
If you are being OCD, and want both the connections to be right next to each other, then you will need to extend the sleeve by 2 inches or so. But works either way.
so you needed the REMUS axle-back REMUS connecting pipes + the midpipe for the system to fit. Sorry for all the questions but i get asked about it all the time

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 10:20 AM   #254
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
so you needed the REMUS axle-back REMUS connecting pipes + the midpipe for the system to fit. Sorry for all the questions but i get asked about it all the time
Hey Mike, no worries at all. Sorry, the terms are a bit confusing to me. I call connecting tubes the ones that get clamped to the Remus muffler itself (they have the valve control and attach the actuator). I think together they make the axleback. I only needed the axleback. It comes with the sleeve like connection to link it up with the factory midpipe. The V rear section of valvetronic midpipe is identical to stock but I bit short to come end to end with the remus. But the sleeve fits there and will cover the gap. So possible to connect remus axleback with the single midpipe without any extra tubing or fabrication.

I call these connecting tubes because the connect to the muffler. Its just the normal axleback that connects with valvetronic. I hope i am making sense.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
LuckyBrand1243.50
OwnerF16841.50
      01-27-2022, 01:19 PM   #255
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBrand View Post

No worries at all. I am still in early days of testing it and probably, hopefully, with time, the sound will get better and more refined. I also wonder if the sport version would have been a better choice. The oem muffler does such a good job of getting rid of the drone and only allowing the good sound to come through when you force the valves open. This makes me wonder how good the MPE will sound, ignoring the looks, which i think are interesting.

I also want to let everyone know to try for themselves and listen to it in person. This is my first remus exhaust and my first m car for that matter, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. When I saw my car test driven off after the installation, it sounded brilliant. But for some reason, when i am sitting in the car myself, the booming sound seem to be coming from all directions and its a bit static and doesnt increase proportionally throughout the rev range. It does until 3k rpm and then it seem to disappear, the real sound then takes over and can be heard but not loud enough and "screamy" enough. Sorry if i am not making sense. I really hope to start to love the sound more.

Quote:
I might have missed it but have you coded off ASD? Wonder if that would help with the enjoyment from the drivers seat.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 01:34 PM   #256
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey Mike, no worries at all. Sorry, the terms are a bit confusing to me. I call connecting tubes the ones that get clamped to the Remus muffler itself (they have the valve control and attach the actuator). I think together they make the axleback. I only needed the axleback. It comes with the sleeve like connection to link it up with the factory midpipe. The V rear section of valvetronic midpipe is identical to stock but I bit short to come end to end with the remus. But the sleeve fits there and will cover the gap. So possible to connect remus axleback with the single midpipe without any extra tubing or fabrication.

I call these connecting tubes because the connect to the muffler. Its just the normal axleback that connects with valvetronic. I hope i am making sense.
The axle-back is sold together with the connection pipe, but it's actually 2 part numbers that can be purchased separately.

The 2 pipes that connect your muffler to midpipes are called the connections pipes by REMUS.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions

Appreciate 1
madmedman275.00
      01-27-2022, 02:15 PM   #257
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
I might have missed it but have you coded off ASD? Wonder if that would help with the enjoyment from the drivers seat.
Hi. Thanks for the headsup. ASD has been off since bimmercode started supporting it. I just rechecked it and its off.
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019039.50
      01-27-2022, 11:37 PM   #258
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
So I had my remus race installed with valvetronic midpipe. Great job as always by Motech performance in the UK.

Honestly, first time the car was started and test run, I was massively relieved that it was not as loud as shmee's car. His car literally shook the ground. The start up sound on my car was as loud as Mike's car (from Motech, see video above), and very refined and uniform, unlike the stock rattling, hoover, blower, metal striking, kind of sound. Mind you, I have yet to experience cold start and I am not looking forward to it

As Mike told me that there is "booming" around 2000 to 2500 rpm and he's spot on as it is quite significant and literally spine tingling and almost ear shattering. After driving the car 100 miles, I feel fullness in my ear as if I descended from a height. Droning is there around 70mph speed and on 7th gear. I can guarantee that you will not be able to tolerate it for more than 30 seconds. Once you shift up into 8th, its almost gone completely. The car however, has a nasty habit of downshifting even at steady speed. Manual will be great here.

I also felt that overall the sound is very "bassy" and seem to overshadow the treble or high pitch sound you normally get from the valvetronic midpipe. Also, the burbles are less defined, separate or clearly demarcated, from the rest of the engine sound. I think there is a bit too much bass and this overshadows the rest of the engine noise. And I love this bit.

As you go up the rev range, I felt it should have sounded louder and clearer and not overtaken or drowned by all the wind noise as much at high speeds. I still have to drive it a bit more to make up my mind but so far, I think the pitch should have increased further and further. It could also have been my folded rear seats as I was carrying that humongous stock muffler and midpipe. Sorry I only have video of stationary car revving up and no drive-by videos yet. No friends to take the videos for me I also understand that its not a Murcielago.

I have also tried to capture the drone in the other video but I don't think its doing it justice. You need to be in 8th gear on motorways or say goodbye to your ears.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the results. I know, if you need that sound clarity, refinement, the stock downpipes will need to go but I think the car will be more like a weekend toy rather than a daily. But I would have still gone for them if I didn't live in a very quiet neighbourhood. My neighbour has a f82 m4 pre-opf and would wish he'll get the MPE so all eyes on him rather than me. One word of warning, once you have installed the remus race, bruce banner is effectively dead. No more stealth mode to rely on. Motech video is spot on, anything beyond the axle back will be loud.

That's all for now that I can think of. Will see how I find the setup over the next couple of weeks. Already have the stock midpipe with in tact secondaries and I can slap it on if I feel its too loud. But my first impression are that it is as loud as I wanted.
I'm a bit confused how your car sounds similar to Motech when it's setup very similar to Shmee's. The only difference is you have a single midpipe. You and Shmee both have no resonators/OPF/Cats. On the other hand Motech has OPF and cats which is more restricted.

The drone seems to be very apparent in the third video. Try muting it by pressing the volume knob, it should go away. In all seriousness, I couldn't hear anything with the music playing.
Appreciate 1
madmedman275.00
      01-28-2022, 06:56 AM   #259
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iviegatron View Post
I'm a bit confused how your car sounds similar to Motech when it's setup very similar to Shmee's. The only difference is you have a single midpipe. You and Shmee both have no resonators/OPF/Cats. On the other hand Motech has OPF and cats which is more restricted.

The drone seems to be very apparent in the third video. Try muting it by pressing the volume knob, it should go away. In all seriousness, I couldn't hear anything with the music playing.
i am a bit puzzled as well as i expected this to sound different. I have been thinking about pairing this with the oem midpipe to see how that will sound. But i am hesitating due to the problems I had installing the single mid as i am sure i will want to put it back on.

I will try and make another video over the weekend to give you a better idea, however, i only have my iphone for that. In person sound is dramatically different than what we hear on video.

The reason there is music playing on one of my videos is because i wanted to see if the drone will be less noticeable but it was still quite prominent.

Also, the cold start is not obnoxiously loud at all. It bearable and not antisocial, unlike shmee's.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 07:17 AM   #260
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
i am a bit puzzled as well as i expected this to sound different. I have been thinking about pairing this with the oem midpipe to see how that will sound. But i am hesitating due to the problems I had installing the single mid as i am sure i will want to put it back on.

I will try and make another video over the weekend to give you a better idea, however, i only have my iphone for that. In person sound is dramatically different than what we hear on video.

The reason there is music playing on one of my videos is because i wanted to see if the drone will be less noticeable but it was still quite prominent.

Also, the cold start is not obnoxiously loud at all. It bearable and not antisocial, unlike shmee's.
Maybe you have to go through the break in period for it to sound louder.

Few recommendations on the next videos. If you can post the following:

- Cold start in comfort and sports mode
- Rev in comfort and sports mode (about 20 secs long for each)
- Inside driving video in both comfort and sports mode, accelerating and cruising. (When in sport mode, leave it in auto)
- Drive by in sports and comfort (if possible)
- No music in any of them lol.
Appreciate 1
madmedman275.00
      01-28-2022, 01:45 PM   #261
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I am really an amateur when it comes to videos trying to capture engine sound. This evening, I started the car and my neighbour's car alarm went off. He came rushing out and I had to explain that it was because I started my car.

Anyway, I have a couple of videos of normal driving and cold start. They capture the sound very well. Ignore my groaning in one of the videos, just pulled a muscle as I am getting old.

Strange thing I noticed is my valves opening and shutting repeatedly. I have the vsc controller. You can notice the clicking sound in the cold start video. I unplugged the controller and all back to normal but the car is very quiet.
All videos in sport mode auto.

sounds nothing like shame's. Not sure what's happening.

Last edited by madmedman; 01-28-2022 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 2
Grumpy514624.50
OwnerF16841.50
      01-28-2022, 08:16 PM   #262
TillyM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G82 Xdrive

Garage List
2022 M4 Xdrive  [9.83]
2016 MINI JCW  [10.00]
Quote:
Similar results yes. You can get the REMUS axle-back with the active Autowerks midpipes.
it's exactly what I got from you two days ago

Had originally shooting for AA full setup but changed mind after doing some research on remus.
Hope I got the right ones,,
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 10:11 PM   #263
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I am really an amateur when it comes to videos trying to capture engine sound. This evening, I started the car and my neighbour's car alarm went off. He came rushing out and I had to explain that it was because I started my car.

Anyway, I have a couple of videos of normal driving and cold start. They capture the sound very well. Ignore my groaning in one of the videos, just pulled a muscle as I am getting old.

Strange thing I noticed is my valves opening and shutting repeatedly. I have the vsc controller. You can notice the clicking sound in the cold start video. I unplugged the controller and all back to normal but the car is very quiet.
All videos in sport mode auto.
sounds nothing like shame's. Not sure what's happening.

Thanks for the videos. It's best to capture sound from the back when doing a cold start or any revving. Have someone hold your phone or use a tripod to mount it or rest it against something.

Definitely doesn't sound anything like Shmee's video. Not sure whats up. I'm guessing you need to go through a breakin period.

Were all videos recorded in sports mode?

Any drone with the valves closed?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 12:18 AM   #264
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iviegatron View Post
Thanks for the videos. It's best to capture sound from the back when doing a cold start or any revving. Have someone hold your phone or use a tripod to mount it or rest it against something.

Definitely doesn't sound anything like Shmee's video. Not sure whats up. I'm guessing you need to go through a breakin period.

Were all videos recorded in sports mode?

Any drone with the valves closed?

Shmees exhaust wasn't broken in, I havent found a single video of this exhaust that sounded like his. I feel like that video is rigged somehow lol
Appreciate 0