BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

01-23-2022, 06:29 AM   #23
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022M4COMP View Post
The largest disadvantage is that when your ceramic coat your car your wallet is also ceramic coated, and all the sudden you can't see your money anymore
That was very amusing.

I've found that you lose some shine and luster with PPF. If your goal is the best looking paint, leave that off.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 08:00 AM   #24
2022M4COMP
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Quote:
The largest disadvantage is that when your ceramic coat your car your wallet is also ceramic coated, and all the sudden you can't see your money anymore
That was very amusing.

I've found that you lose some shine and luster with PPF. If your goal is the best looking paint, leave that off.
Isn't that the purpose to maintain shine and luster?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 08:49 AM   #25
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
I think it really started as protection against rocks and such, and became quite popular. The plastic has a very slight texture to it, and that is going to affect reflection. It is light reflection that makes paint appear shiny and "deep".

I've had ppf on a few cars and it does do its job, but with everything, there is a trade-off.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 09:15 AM   #26
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
That was very amusing.

Quote:
Quote:
I think it really started as protection against rocks and such, and became quite popular. The plastic has a very slight texture to it, and that is going to affect reflection. It is light reflection that makes paint appear shiny and "deep".

I've had ppf on a few cars and it does do its job, but with everything, there is a trade-off.
PPF portion to non-PPF portion looks the same to me on my car. I don't feel that the PPF portions appear any less shiny or have any less reflection. 🤷🏻*♂️
Attached Images

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13020.00
      01-23-2022, 12:04 PM   #27
jabrax
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky_12 View Post
That's very helpful - thank you. I'm still not sure how the PPF takes wax compared to the clearcoat on the car. I have an M4 vert on the way in Tanzanite and thinking front end PPF for sure. Maybe ceramic.
I have the same question. If PPF on the front half, assuming they would have to polish the whole car first would seem the most important step in any process. Curious to know how ceramic would render on PPF versus car clear coat?

I have some pretty good (non-ceramic) products and starting to feel that a proper correction when PPF is done, with occasional maintenance with a good product (polish or wax) would suffice.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 09:57 PM   #28
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ml View Post
Yes as long as you take care of it.

1st pics are after Ceramic Pro Gold was first applied.

Last pic is three years later.
Cosmic fog vapors? lol!
      01-24-2022, 11:05 PM   #29
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Definitely some PPF/ Ceramic coating haters on here. If you want the best experience, don't listen to anything LuvMyE92 is saying about PPF or Ceramic.

I'm not a "professional" installer, or an owner of a company that sells ceramic coating or PPF, so I have nothing to gain from praising real ceramic coatings.

I advise you to take a trip down to a local installer, and get a shop tour, where you can see the benefits of having a real professional ceramic coating, installed, are. If you want absolute clarity, look for a local installer that installs STek PPF. It's as clear as glass, and when you see it installed, next to a panel that its not installed on, you cant see the difference, its that clear.

Consumer grade ceramic coating is nothing like Detailer quality installed ceramic coating. Consumer grade is made for anyone with half a brain cell, to be able to install it. Detailer Grade ceramic coating, most are baked on with an IR lamp. CQuartz Finest Reserve, Kamikaze Zipang Coat, Ceramic Pro, Feynlabs, Etc. Twice as thick, and so durable, that if you try to install it, and leave a high spot, you have to wet sand it off. It's like a candy ceramic shell. Do they last forever, no. Although, Ceramic Pro has a lifetime warranty, which you need to come in, every year, and have a topper installed, to keep the warranty. The reason why they don't last forever, is, the suns UV rays will break it down. If the car is garage kept and the coating is taken care of, washed with a PH neutral shampoo, like Gyeon Bathe, or Koch Chemie GSF, it will last a long, long time. And a true baked ceramic coating will have a gloss that will blow any wax away. Not to mention the hydrophobics of a wax are nothing like a coating. My Car Full STek PPF, and Ceramic Coated with Feynlabs. If you really want an insider look at detailing, check out White Details on YouTube.
Attached Images

Last edited by Limegrntaln; 01-24-2022 at 11:24 PM..
Appreciate 6
GGG333603.50
chicagofan0018923.00
m4ml1721.50
Seedster2238.00
      01-26-2022, 06:30 PM   #30
rodethelightning
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G82

I have a C292 GLE Coupe in Obsidian Black Metallic and had it professionally ceramic coated a couple of years ago. When I picked up the car, stunning, the black was very deep and the gloss looked really beautiful. However after 5 months it started to look a little bit dull, and there were some swirls, which I was reluctant to remove, as I believe any polishing actions would remove the coating layer. A top coat would enhance the gloss again but not removing the swirls.

As someone who don't mind spending hours in the garage polishing and waxing every 3-4 months, I think it is better for me to use the more conventional route of sealant & waxes as I could be much in control with the cars. I used to have a Scirocco R in Rising Blue color, used it for a good 6 years and properly maintained the paint without ceramic coatings.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 10:11 AM   #31
TexasEd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Xdrive;2020 Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman View Post
Assuming I take it to a pro who knows what she's doing and preps the hell out of the car before applying the ceramic coating (maybe one known for high gloss), will my car have this level of showroom shine/gloss every time I simply wash my car (i.e., no wax)?
No it will not.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 01:17 PM   #32
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
If I am going to eventually swap out my painted rear spoiler for a carbon fiber one. Should I wait to get ceramic coating? My concern is what if he new carbon fiber lip I choose (not sure yet) mounts in a different area of the stock painted spoiler. I assume I would have a spot on my truck where coating wasnt applied? Can ceramic coating be reapplied to that open area where the old spoiler was attached?

Thoughts or suggestions welcome.
      01-28-2022, 10:48 PM   #33
M2 CCO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [8.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
If I am going to eventually swap out my painted rear spoiler for a carbon fiber one. Should I wait to get ceramic coating? My concern is what if he new carbon fiber lip I choose (not sure yet) mounts in a different area of the stock painted spoiler. I assume I would have a spot on my truck where coating wasnt applied? Can ceramic coating be reapplied to that open area where the old spoiler was attached?

It can be reapplied but May depend on the coating you select. If it's just a consumer grade coating I would recommend you polish the trunk area after the old spoiler is removed. That way you don't try to stick the new spoiler over any coated surfaces. The adhesive doesn't stick well to coated surfaces. Then just reapply the coating to the trunk/spoiler after the new one has been installed.
Appreciate 2
BIGW0RM3011.00
Limegrntaln13020.00
      02-25-2022, 07:13 AM   #34
Seedster2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Competition AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post

I recently purchased a M4 rear spoiler in carbon from a forum member and plan to install on my M4 without the carbon package. I am having my car ceramic coated and the detailer offered to install it because it was OEM. I wouldnt be too worried about the lip, but the spoiler would be a priority to have installed before dropping it off or by the detailer.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 09:12 AM   #35
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 CCO View Post
It can be reapplied but May depend on the coating you select. If it's just a consumer grade coating I would recommend you polish the trunk area after the old spoiler is removed. That way you don't try to stick the new spoiler over any coated surfaces. The adhesive doesn't stick well to coated surfaces. Then just reapply the coating to the trunk/spoiler after the new one has been installed.
Definitely what I suggest, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedster2 View Post
I recently purchased a M4 rear spoiler in carbon from a forum member and plan to install on my M4 without the carbon package. I am having my car ceramic coated and the detailer offered to install it because it was OEM. I wouldn't be too worried about the lip, but the spoiler would be a priority to have installed before dropping it off or by the detailer.
Same here. I purchased an OEM carbon thumbnail spoiler for my M4 from a forum member, and at the time my car was at the detailer. When I got the car back, the detailer wants to see the car back after 2-3 weeks to make sure there are no issues with the PPF install.

At that time, they installed my rear carbon spoiler for me, since they would have put the black painted spoiler, back on, anyway. They removed the spoiler to PPF my trunk in one piece. Then also PPFd the carbon spoiler, and installed it, for me, over the trunk PPF. It came out, perfect.

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 02:59 AM   #36
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
How much does a high quality ceramic application including all the prep work typically cost? Does this typically include wheels? I'd love to get the wheels done and have brake dust just wash off.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 09:07 PM   #37
M2 CCO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [8.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
How much does a high quality ceramic application including all the prep work typically cost? Does this typically include wheels? I'd love to get the wheels done and have brake dust just wash off.
It can vary depending on how much paint correction you want done. If the car has minimal paint defects and they offer a coating that does not require multiple layers it's generally not too pricey. I've seen nice work done for around the $1500 price point. Of course if you opt for a multi stage correction and a higher end coating product it will just go up from there. Wheels are usually a separate cost add on but I've seen the option price out at around $500-$750. Just depends on the shop and the products they offer really though. As each shop tends to have their preferred products and processes.

In my personal experience of coating wheels, it does help the cleaning, but it still takes some minor scrubbing to get them spotless again! Even though you won't be able to just rinse them and be done, I would prefer to clean a coated wheel compared to an uncoated wheel for sure though.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 04:51 PM   #38
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin3008 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 CCO View Post
In my experience as long as it's a quality coating and you wash and maintain the coating correctly, I would say yes.
I agree. I use a top coating periodically to preserve the ceramic and to provide even additional gloss. Man does it make that paint pop! Carpro Reload is a great product.
This is what I use as well. Expensive stuff, but leaves the car slippery and shiny
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 05:00 PM   #39
418BUC
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe G82

Garage List
You need to be aware that car washes are a no no once ceramic coated as is polishing
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 09:37 AM   #40
E_R_S_M4_Comp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 418BUC View Post
You need to be aware that car washes are a no no once ceramic coated as is polishing
Even the touchless?
-2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 10:52 AM   #41
M2 CCO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [8.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_R_S_M4_Comp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 418BUC View Post
Even the touchless?
In a pinch a touchless wash won't hurt a good ceramic coating, but I would not recommend continued use. Touchless washes use more aggressive chemicals in their soaps to try and remove the dirt without a contact wash. Not a fan of them for this reason, not to mention I've had friends who had their cars damaged by a touchless wash. Sensor malfunctions and the spray bar runs into your car type situations!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 05:03 PM   #42
figuec56
Daniel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 330eX

Garage List
2023 BMW 330ex  [0.00]
I know it's just one company, but this helped me understand the differences amongst the different types.

Appreciate 1
Volcanic168.00