BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

12-30-2021, 09:07 AM   #45
SportySpice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Maybe I'm overly sensitive because I've loved BMWs and M3s in particular since I was a teen in the 80s. It's annoying enough to see Tesla fanboys refer to Model 3s as M3s on Tesla forums, Twitter, and everywhere else they pop up to crow about their cars. But I really can't wrap my head around BMW owners frequenting a BMW enthusiasts forum calling those things M3, M3P, TM3, P3 and whatever the latest brand and heritage appropriation they've come up with. Et tu, Bimmerpost? If I dared call my M340 an M3 because "it's just an abbreviation" or "it's convenient," I can only imagine the amount of shit I'd get for it here.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 02:51 PM   #46
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
While I agree launch control shouldn't be used, where are you getting that an M3C would do 4+ seconds without it? I think it's impossible for that to happen. That's M2 territory.

And if you want to use your own argument against yourself, ask when you're going to meet an electric car that's brand new and 100% charged all the time. By the time they go through some charging cycles the battery is already starting to lose its capacity, and if you meet a Model 3 with 50% battery on the road, who says they'll be quicker?
People are getting high 2's even in the M3C xdrive. of course a lot of that depends on elevation and that sort of stuff. Right ive watched plenty of tesla drag race videos including the one that kicked off this thread and seen teslas even in controlled environments have bad launches. I think hes talkin about the rolling start figures on ICE cars. I think rolling start might be slower than just stepping on the gas from a dig with no launch control but im not entirely sure. I have a 2018 M240i xdrive now where the rolling start is supposed to be somewhere in the low 5s but it feels a lot faster than that from a dig w/o launch control

Last edited by jkap27; 12-30-2021 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 02:56 PM   #47
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster20d View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but I think if you are a 0-60 guy Tesla is still the way to go no matter what. With the M3 you need to engage that launch control and then get it perfectly right to get anywhere near what the youtubbers are showing. If you simply floor the car or do a rolling start it will hardly do mid 4's.

Imagine you pull up at a light next to a tesla, you have 10 seconds to prime your car and launch it, rev'ing it up next to other drivers and pedestrians behind a light will not only raise a few eye brows it might even attract unwanted attention from the cops. will just sound weird as explained in this video. Honestly I don't get the point of launch control beyond an amusing gimmick for making comparison videos. useless on the track, useless on the street.

meanwhile in the Tesla if you just simply floor it you can get pretty consistent 0-60 very close to what you see in the videos drama free.....so I don't get it how an ICE can be better if you care about light-to-light drag racing...
i mean 0-60 in general is kind of a gimmick i meant in a drag race scenario the M3 xdrive seems to be winning every time but i said 0-60 so i was asking for that response haha. Im not really one for racing random people at stoplights. haha thats a great video though...i dont think the bmws hold at that high of revs in launch control though lol The RWD M3 launches in 2nd gear actually which is pretty interesting. activating launch control really is super easy at a stop light and i dont think the person racing random people at stoplights cares a whole lot about cops haha

Last edited by jkap27; 12-30-2021 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2021, 05:27 PM   #48
ParkNuts
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
I wouldn't consider a Model 3 Perf even if it eventually managed to be faster than an M xDrive car. For all the reasons that have been hashed before (handling, build quality, etc), but also because it's safer to drive a louder car.

People pay attention when they hear a louder car approaching from behind and don't do unexpected lane changes. And often get out of the way too.

Pull up in a Model 3 and you might as well have appeared out of nowhere.
This is a laughably bad opinion. First, a stock M3 is not a loud car, and second, even if you have loud exhaust you’d need to be all over it for someone to hear it, and if that’s the case then any kind of even is your fault.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 05:32 PM   #49
ParkNuts
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Did my dismissal of the Model 3 (and its Perf variant) rub you the wrong way?

By extension of your logic, electric cars shouldn't have that artificial noise at low speeds then because surely pedestrians can't be absent-minded right? It's those reckless electric car owners that need nannies. /s

Noise that catches people's attention and causes them to be alert = good for safety. Even with zero recklessness (on the part of the car generating the noise) in the picture.
Another ridiculous opinion. You act like a brand new Camry rolls up to a crosswalk camming and shaking the earth. You can barely hear new cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 05:37 PM   #50
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkNuts View Post
This is a laughably bad opinion. First, a stock M3 is not a loud car, and second, even if you have loud exhaust you’d need to be all over it for someone to hear it, and if that’s the case then any kind of even is your fault.
1. This quote below is not an opinion - this is the description of actual real-world observations in just driving two stock cars that are louder than average when driven a certain way while obeying all legal speed limits: an M440i and a M4; in comparison with an older 435i:
"People pay attention when they hear a louder car approaching from behind and don't do unexpected lane changes. And often get out of the way too."

2. And regarding this: "you’d need to be all over it for someone to hear it,and if that’s the case then any kind of even is your fault." - I'm assuming what you're saying is that if I'm going the speed limit at 4-5k rpm if something happens it's my fault? It's my engine and gas I pay for so I don't care.

Just because you say something is a "laughably bad opinion" doesn't make it so.
      12-31-2021, 05:41 PM   #51
kjx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Another ridiculous opinion. You act like a brand new Camry rolls up to a crosswalk camming and shaking the earth. You can barely hear new cars.
Great trolling. Electric cars being mandated to have artificial noise to enhance safety (to match gas cars) is not my opinion.

If you can hear neither of those (artificial noise or regular gas engine noise) from a few feet away, you need to get your ears checked.
      12-31-2021, 05:53 PM   #52
ParkNuts
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Great trolling. Electric cars being mandated to have artificial noise to enhance safety (to match gas cars) is not my opinion.

If you can hear neither of those (artificial noise or regular gas engine noise) from a few feet away, you need to get your ears checked.
Dude you’re the one trolling here. It’s why you’ve had several people calling you out for douche driving. And the claim of your X5 switching its motor on and all of a sudden the seas part is fantasy land.

Other people are living in their own world, listening to music and paying attention to what they can see, not listening for your badass exhaust. Yes, your opinion here is garbage.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 06:40 PM   #53
kjx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Dude you're the one trolling here. It's why you've had several people calling you out for douche driving. And the claim of your X5 switching its motor on and all of a sudden the seas part is fantasy land.

Other people are living in their own world, listening to music and paying attention to what they can see, not listening for your badass exhaust. Yes, your opinion here is garbage.
Again… it is not my "opinion". Since you are clinging on to things that were discussed and addressed in this thread already and resorting to ad hominem attacks, I can't think of any explanations that are charitable towards you. And it's not worth my time to engage with such drivel. Have a good day.
      12-31-2021, 07:02 PM   #54
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Just sat at a 3 lane stop light with 5 white teslas.

3 at the front, me in the rear middle, and one on either side… felt like I was in the twilight zone.

I've never been one to be satisfied with the thing everyone else has. (Even though I have an iPhone)

Idc how fast it is.

An S Plaid all black on HRE's on the other hand..
🤔🙄
Appreciate 1
Vic5518965.50
      01-01-2022, 02:42 AM   #55
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportySpice View Post
Maybe I'm overly sensitive because I've loved BMWs and M3s in particular since I was a teen in the 80s. It's annoying enough to see Tesla fanboys refer to Model 3s as M3s on Tesla forums, Twitter, and everywhere else they pop up to crow about their cars. But I really can't wrap my head around BMW owners frequenting a BMW enthusiasts forum calling those things M3, M3P, TM3, P3 and whatever the latest brand and heritage appropriation they've come up with. Et tu, Bimmerpost? If I dared call my M340 an M3 because "it's just an abbreviation" or "it's convenient," I can only imagine the amount of shit I'd get for it here.
Good point. It is Tesla Model 3 dual motor!
The word of "performance" is just for marketing purposes!
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 10:32 AM   #56
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Good point. It is Tesla Model 3 dual motor!
The word of "performance" is just for marketing purposes!
Just to be clear, there are two dual motor Model 3 cars, one is the Long Range and one is the Performance (being obviously faster). So its more than just a marketing ploy.

Outside of that, I would never have an EV as my only car but I do have one now
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black

Last edited by Vic55; 01-04-2022 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 08:10 AM   #57
BMWfan2006
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp, Tesla 3 Perf

Word on the street a new Tesla 3 performance is on the way with an updated rear motor. Apparently Elon likes using the BMW M3 as a benchmark.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 11:13 AM   #58
mortonlykins
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw g80

I think it's good that automakers are thinking about development and looking at competitors' advantages to improve their cars. But don't you think that the Tesla level is unattainable for Toyota? I once read on https://zumroad.com/automotive comparing these car brands, and I understand that there is a huge difference between them and that it will have many advantages, but Tesla will still be better. Are there any objective reasons to believe there are any chances of raising prestige level in this competition?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 07:53 AM   #59
P1 PET
Major
Rep
Drives: BOX ON WHEELS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
While I agree launch control shouldn't be used, where are you getting that an M3C would do 4+ seconds without it? I think it's impossible for that to happen. That's M2 territory.

And if you want to use your own argument against yourself, ask when you're going to meet an electric car that's brand new and 100% charged all the time. By the time they go through some charging cycles the battery is already starting to lose its capacity, and if you meet a Model 3 with 50% battery on the road, who says they'll be quicker?
I can confirm you the performance up to legal speed limit is not much different even at 20% SOC. We are also comparing the new generation BMW M3 AWD to 6 years old Tesla Model 3P. Speculations suggest that the new Tesla M3 Performance will have around 800hp with low 2s 0 to 60 and under 10s 1/4 miles. This will be achieved by using carbon sleeved motors from the Model S Plaid which is capable of leaving £4 million Bugatti Chiron Supersport in the rear view mirror up to 180mph. Tesla is not messing around.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 10:51 AM   #60
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentMeister View Post
Just sat at a 3 lane stop light with 5 white teslas.

3 at the front, me in the rear middle, and one on either side… felt like I was in the twilight zone.

I've never been one to be satisfied with the thing everyone else has. (Even though I have an iPhone)

Idc how fast it is.

An S Plaid all black on HRE's on the other hand..
🤔🙄
Yep. Driving a Tesla is a good way to be practically invisible. It can be good or bad, depending on the situation. But it's kinda boring, no matter how fast it is in a straight line.
Appreciate 0