BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

07-12-2023, 10:23 AM   #111
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Supplanter View Post
LUNQIN Car Phone Holder for 2023 BMW 3 Series

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZRP1YS5...p_mob_ap_share

I like it because it's plug & play, inexpensive, relatively clean looking, not in front of the vents, and the vent air flow adjusters are accessible. It does rattle a bit but no more than my uniden R7 on the blendmount. I don't care about charging. I keep the cord in the center console and pull it out/connect in the off chance it's needed. Finally, I also didn't want to add a magnet to my phone just so that I can use it with a mount in my car.

ProClip might be the best, but 1) they didn't have their current version when I was shopping and 2) it appears to cover the passenger's left side torso air vent.
Any pics with the phone sitting in it? Which part rattles in it?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 01:05 PM   #112
J_Supplanter
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Comp xDr

Garage List
forcefed No pix w a phone in it but I'm sure you could find some online. It's parked in the garage of the apartment building across the street. So not something I could run out and do right quick. Next plan to drive is Saturday.

Everything is solid other than the spring loaded mechanism that allows one to drop their phone in and be automatically grabbed by the mount. That mechanism has to have some play. Nature of the universal phone holder beast. It's not like it's shaking all over the place. My girl can't even hear the rattle. And like I said, even my R7 rattles. That shouldn't have any play. And again, my girl allegedly can't hear it.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 02:28 PM   #113
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Supplanter View Post
forcefed No pix w a phone in it but I'm sure you could find some online. It's parked in the garage of the apartment building across the street. So not something I could run out and do right quick. Next plan to drive is Saturday.

Everything is solid other than the spring loaded mechanism that allows one to drop their phone in and be automatically grabbed by the mount. That mechanism has to have some play. Nature of the universal phone holder beast. It's not like it's shaking all over the place. My girl can't even hear the rattle. And like I said, even my R7 rattles. That shouldn't have any play. And again, my girl allegedly can't hear it.
Just trying to get an idea how low the phone sits in it, which phone do you have and how high above the flat carbon piece is it?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 03:11 PM   #114
J_Supplanter
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
forcefed I have a Pixel 5. Everything is accessible and viewable from passenger and driver seat positions, other than the air flow controlling nobs, which are just accessible. When I drop my phone in, the lower part drops something like 0.5 to 1.0 inch. It looks great and is very practical. I'll post a pic or 2 when I get a chance and tag you. But I don't think there's anything better on the market currently, unless the ProClip can be mounted over the air flow nobs. But even then, I think the cost v benefit is in favor of this LUNQIN mount.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 03:53 PM   #115
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Ive said this before. But I just dont get why people want phone mounts in a car that already has a phone cubby and wireless carplay. What is on that screen that is so important that carplay wont tell you when driving? Seems to me that this is a FOMO issue more than a solution to a problem we dont have.

Unless you are on andriod. I kinda get that. But other than that. I will never mount my phone on my dash.

This just reminds me of dads from the early 2000's that wore iphones on there belt as an accessory like batman.

The phone is NOT an accessory to your clothing or car guys. lol. Put it in the cubby and just drive!
      07-12-2023, 04:41 PM   #116
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Ive said this before. But I just dont get why people want phone mounts in a car that already has a phone cubby and wireless carplay. What is on that screen that is so important that carplay wont tell you when driving? Seems to me that this is a FOMO issue more than a solution to a problem we dont have.

Unless you are on andriod. I kinda get that. But other than that. I will never mount my phone on my dash.

This just reminds me of dads from the early 2000's that wore iphones on there belt as an accessory like batman.

The phone is NOT an accessory to your clothing or car guys. lol. Put it in the cubby and just drive!
I don’t have wireless charging and CarPlay won’t do everything I want it to do when I’m at a stoplight.

I still wear my iPhone on my belt but some call me Robin.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2023, 04:51 PM   #117
J_Supplanter
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
BIGW0RM One's mobile phone is their most used tool. No? Personally, I wanted somewhere easily accessible to place it and I prefer the cup holder cover closed (looks cleaner).

The dedicated space would have been great if the "charging" feature didn't actually result in draining battery and overheating. I built/ordered my 3 without it, but got a great deal on someone else's build before I got an allocation and it had the shyt wireless charger. Even then, I want to (or have the passenger) be able to access/utilize my pocket computer with ease.

Sometimes the idrive system ducks up thus phone use is necessary (eg calls and navigation). Sometimes it's easier to browse music on the phone as opposed to natively on the car, which I typically have a passenger do (thus ease of access and my own viability of their choices).

Tesla designed their dedicated phone spot very well. I hope every other automaker follows suit.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 05:16 PM   #118
Th3DarkSide
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post

That cubby sucks moose balls. Haha. It heats my phone up like crazy and it’s a PIA to get the phone out of that spot. It’s tight in there. I’m on an iPhone and use Carplay but also use google chat and other chat apps for work (healthcare) that don’t come thru on the Carplay screen. Obviously people have different needs/use cases. I need to see my messages in real-time and shoving my fingers in that oven while driving sucks.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 06:52 PM   #119
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Fair enough gentlemen. We all like what we like. I get it. I personally just think a mounted iphone is an eye sore and another distraction we don't need.

But as someone mentioned. We all have different uses. You guys have FOMO and I dont.

Enjoy as you see fit. Who cares what I think. But I hope my comments help some others see the light and get the iphone out of the way when driving.
      07-14-2023, 06:03 AM   #120
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Bought a nice long UGREEN USB-C to right-angle USB-C, and ran it tucked up into the side of the console to the rear USB-C ports. Works great and very tidy without needing any disassembly! Charger is a Belkin MagSafe one.
Thank you for your post. I've replicated your exact install in my G83 and it's perfect, especially since in LHD cars, there's zero interference with the lower set of buttons as there's only the blank plate directly below the Belkin charger. The only difference in my car is that I had to route the cord to the center console USB port, since there's not a port in the back seat like there is in the G80.

And for those members who may not fully understand others' needs, I run the V1Driver app on my phone to enhance my Valentine radar detector's functionality.
Appreciate 1
MJBO2632.50
      08-12-2023, 08:40 AM   #121
Th3DarkSide
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I’ve settled on pro clip with magbak
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      08-15-2023, 10:21 PM   #122
fmonteiro444
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3DarkSide View Post
This is what I’m doing.

23 M3 Competition - Stock
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2023, 10:45 PM   #123
Th3DarkSide
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmonteiro444 View Post
This is what I’m doing.
Was thinking about running the charging wire from either the glove box or the backseat. Might look cleaner
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2023, 05:03 AM   #124
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmonteiro444 View Post
This is what I’m doing.
Quote:
Was thinking about running the charging wire from either the glove box or the backseat. Might look cleaner
You guys may want to take a closer look at MJBO's setup in post 105. It's cleaner and less bulky than the ProClip mount (which I've used for years). And the beauty of MJBO's install for LHD/US cars is that it drops down over the blank plate on the button panel rather than the volume knob. btw, both MJBO and I ran power cords to the rear (him to the rear seat USB, mine to the console USB) with only the couple inches directly below the mount showing.

My setup with the Belkin mount:
Attached Images

Last edited by hinckley; 08-16-2023 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
jmg18786.50
      08-16-2023, 07:12 AM   #125
Th3DarkSide
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
You guys may want to take a closer look at MJBO's setup in post 105. It's cleaner and less bulky than the ProClip mount (which I've used for years). And the beauty of MJBO's install for LHD/US cars is that it drops down over the blank plate on the button panel rather than the volume knob. btw, both MJBO and I ran power cords to the rear (him to the rear seat USB, mine to the console USB) with the only the couple inches directly below the mount showing.

My setup with the Belkin mount:
Your setup looks good. I’ve been staying away from vent mounts on the last few cars as they have shredded the slats on the vents. How’s the magnet strength? The magbak is super strong
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 07:26 AM   #126
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Your setup looks good. I’ve been staying away from vent mounts on the last few cars as they have shredded the slats on the vents. How’s the magnet strength? The magbak is super strong
I have never liked vent mounts. I always thought they were flimsy. But not this one. It's very solid. And the magnet is very good. I'm really impressed with the whole product, although I did swap out the nice cable that came with the unit for a nicer, braided and longer UGREEN cable.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2023, 03:15 PM   #127
Gladius Nova
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
I have never liked vent mounts. I always thought they were flimsy. But not this one. It's very solid. And the magnet is very good. I'm really impressed with the whole product, although I did swap out the nice cable that came with the unit for a nicer, braided and longer UGREEN cable.
So the phone and the mount isn't too heavy for the vent?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 03:25 PM   #128
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladius Nova View Post
So the phone and the mount isn't too heavy for the vent?
Not remotely. As I said above, I never liked vent mounts because of exactly that concern. But maybe because of a coincidence of design of the Belkin mount and G8x vent, it's very snug. Neither the mount or the vent move at all. Coming off many, many years of ProClip and Kuda mounts, I honestly never expected to be so pleased with a vent mount.

Just a quick adder . . . When I received the mount, I unpackaged it very carefully, because I assumed I'd be returning it. It took me a few days to believe how well it fit and before I'd throw the packaging away. Lol.

Last edited by hinckley; 08-16-2023 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 07:52 PM   #129
RoroBoost
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Bruh some of us just want to take draggy videos for science… and Instagram. Has anyone seen anything like this for the 2023 big screens? This one is for Tesla
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 09:19 AM   #130
Gladius Nova
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoroBoost View Post
Bruh some of us just want to take draggy videos for science… and Instagram. Has anyone seen anything like this for the 2023 big screens? This one is for Tesla
Pretty sweet.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 01:35 PM   #131
Th3DarkSide
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I went for it. The pro clip with magbak charger was kinda bulky. Picked up the 15w version. I can’t add a separate cable to this one as the wire is integrated but I ran it along the side and had enough slack to plug into the glove box. I like it. The magnet is strong and it sits away from all the controls. 👍
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
hinckley3492.50
      08-25-2023, 02:50 PM   #132
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I went for it. The pro clip with magbak charger was kinda bulky. Picked up the 15w version. I can’t add a separate cable to this one as the wire is integrated but I ran it along the side and had enough slack to plug into the glove box. I like it. The magnet is strong and it sits away from all the controls. ��
I agree that the ProClip mount + charger is bulky. It's why I went this route instead.

Is there an outlet of some sort in the glove box, or did you install one there?
Appreciate 1