BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-06-2021, 01:50 PM   #155
weingarm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by weingarm View Post
Here's a nice ground-view picture of what faces you getting into (and out of) the M Carbon buckets. This is the best view I've found that truly shows the height of the side thigh-bolster.

I think any required gymnastics will be well worth it for these awesome seats!
The tilt on that seat bottom is a little extreme.
I agree.

Seat tilt in this picture is quite extreme. Most people probably would adjust the seat bottom to be flatter, which would lower the height of the side thigh-bolster slightly.
      03-08-2021, 01:44 PM   #156
arunym
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 MG SS 6MT

I had a chance to sit the carbon bucket seats at my dealer in ATL. Was a company car...dont ask. Combo was IOMG and Silverstone interior. Beautiful combo, but id go darker for a more aggressive look...this is besides the point. The seats were awesome, plush and super comfortable. People make it sound like youre going to be sitting on a piece of wood, which is very far from the truth. I am not a big dude though, 5'9", somewhat athletic (debatable) and 150lbs soaking wet. The entry and exit is also a non issue as is the center carbon piece by your jock. The annoying part will be wear on the left handle as you'll rub against it every time you get in and out. This is an absolute must for me, no questions asked, daily driver or not. I think, for at least people in my build group, question should really just boil down to price and if you want to pony up the cash. For me, its well worth it as someone put it really well saying these seats change the mood of the car.
Appreciate 5
Sedan_Clan25116.50
Parzy2130.00
ruboda26.50
      03-08-2021, 01:46 PM   #157
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunym View Post
I had a chance to sit the carbon bucket seats at my dealer in ATL. Was a company car...dont ask. Combo was IOMG and Silverstone interior. Beautiful combo, but id go darker for a more aggressive look...this is besides the point. The seats were awesome, plush and super comfortable. People make it sound like youre going to be sitting on a piece of wood, which is very far from the truth. I am not a big dude though, 5'9", somewhat athletic (debatable) and 150lbs soaking wet. The entry and exit is also a non issue as is the center carbon piece by your jock. The annoying part will be wear on the left handle as you'll rub against it every time you get in and out. This is an absolute must for me, no questions asked, daily driver or not. I think, for at least people in my build group, question should really just boil down to price and if you want to pony up the cash. For me, its well worth it as someone put it really well saying these seats change the mood of the car.
I agree with the mood statement.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 02:37 PM   #158
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

So what you were trying to convey is that if you're obese or overweight then stick with the standards seats right, duly noted. I will opt for the carbon seats to compliment my physique...
      03-08-2021, 02:53 PM   #159
arunym
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 MG SS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
So what you were trying to convey is that if you're obese or overweight then stick with the standards seats right, duly noted. I will opt for the carbon seats to compliment my physique...
lol...maybe. I think if youre a decent amount bigger than my build, which is likely at least in US based on averages, you may want to sit in it before buying.
Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00
      03-10-2021, 08:39 AM   #160
Vanc2408
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F82 - MW/SO

I've seen and briefly sat in both and if you've got a petite, yet masculine, frame like me, I don't think the carbon buckets are going to be too uncomfortable inside of a few hours of driving. I can see it maybe being an issue people with larger shoulders and...diameters...

They look absolutely amazing though and I just can't unsee them now that I've seen both.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 08:44 AM   #161
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Manual

I didn't scan this entire thread, are the carbon buckets heated?
      03-10-2021, 09:06 AM   #162
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adcampo View Post
I didn't scan this entire thread, are the carbon buckets heated?
yes
Appreciate 1
Adcampo885.00
      03-10-2021, 07:14 PM   #163
CanuckM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

I sat in both standard v buckets again tonight, for about 10-12 mins in each seat. I am 6' 220 lbs. Second time trying the buckets, this time a little longer.

There is no doubt that the standard seats are more comfortable. However the bottom seat side cushion is also slightly aggressive.

What I didn't expect though is that after jumping back in the CF seats, the difference wasn't as dramatic as I expected. It's probably 15-20% tighter in the legs/thighs area. I think the bigger hassle though will be jumping in and out, day and night. The novelty if you got them for looks will prob wear off after a few weeks.

The mood comment though is on point, whole thing feels like a racecar especially snug in there.

My car just entered status 112 and I am confused as hell now.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      03-10-2021, 07:53 PM   #164
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckM View Post
I sat in both standard v buckets again tonight, for about 10-12 mins in each seat. I am 6' 220 lbs. Second time trying the buckets, this time a little longer.

There is no doubt that the standard seats are more comfortable. However the bottom seat side cushion is also slightly aggressive.

What I didn't expect though is that after jumping back in the CF seats, the difference wasn't as dramatic as I expected. It's probably 15-20% tighter in the legs/thighs area. I think the bigger hassle though will be jumping in and out, day and night. The novelty if you got them for looks will prob wear off after a few weeks.

The mood comment though is on point, whole thing feels like a racecar especially snug in there.

I keep saying that you need to try both. I am taller (6'5") and narrower (195 lbs) and I found the CF seats more comfortable. I had more legroom (thinner seat back) and I had enough width.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 12:09 AM   #165
Wineguy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M535,328i,328d,330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It is very hard to judge based on someone else's body type. We all have different spinal curvatures, shoulder widths, waistlines, torso lengths, etc. Rather than make speculative assumptions, sit in the seats and then make your determination(s) accordingly. I'm curious how much lighter the CF buckets are though.
Supposed to be about 5 kilos less per seat
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      03-12-2021, 02:10 PM   #166
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckM View Post

100% agree. I'm going to the dealer again today to do a retest of both. The carbon buckets look AMAZING, and feel good...to an extent. After a while, I think they'll feel confining a bit to me. And since this car will be more of a long trip/daily-ish/backroad fun car than a track car, I'm not sure if the daily or regular challenge of (and the likely wear from) ingress/egress is going to get old and offset the wonderful look of the seats, which I admit really do add to the entire mood of the interior of the car.

I'm torn!

I'd love to have both, and be able to swap them out depending on the situation and my purpose for the car at any given time. I'm sure BMW will gladly sell me a set of each, for both my arms and a leg.

All things considered, first world problems for sure...
Appreciate 1
CanuckM665.50
      03-12-2021, 02:12 PM   #167
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
I'd love to have both, and be able to swap them out depending on the situation and my purpose for the car at any given time. I'm sure BMW will gladly sell me a set of each, for both my arms and a leg. :
Probably less expensive to get two cars
      03-12-2021, 02:16 PM   #168
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Cmtl View Post
Probably less expensive to get two cars
LOL true
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 03:21 PM   #169
CanuckM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
100% agree. I'm going to the dealer again today to do a retest of both. The carbon buckets look AMAZING, and feel good...to an extent. After a while, I think they'll feel confining a bit to me. And since this car will be more of a long trip/daily-ish/backroad fun car than a track car, I'm not sure if the daily or regular challenge of (and the likely wear from) ingress/egress is going to get old and offset the wonderful look of the seats, which I admit really do add to the entire mood of the interior of the car.

I'm torn!

I'd love to have both, and be able to swap them out depending on the situation and my purpose for the car at any given time. I'm sure BMW will gladly sell me a set of each, for both my arms and a leg.

You got that right.

I ended up going with the M Sport seats. I track 5-7x a year at an intermediate level. I told myself that I still have to live with the car the other 358 days in the most comfortable way possible. All the backroads I do with my friends, I can just inflate the side bolsters even more.

I will get the same carbon backs initially that were available on the F8X. If I must really upgrade, there is always aftermarket.
2021 G80 6MT sold
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 10:13 PM   #170
Cdn_Bimmer
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcali86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn_Bimmer View Post
Having visited a local dealer and tried out the M Sport seats, I'm happy I went with them in my build. They're far more supportive than most will ever need unless you're on a track and are wildly comfortable at the same time

I would argue that unless you're going to track your car regularly, which the majority of buyers likely won't, the regular sport seats are more than enough for "spirited driving".

My frozen dark grey G80 Comp is scheduled for pickup April 14, and has the sport seats. Can't wait.
Please take a few pics for me as this is my color, but it's not an option in the US so I have to individual it. I don't need too many, around 1000 in the day, 1000 around sunset and 1000 at night should do
As requested.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
Jcali861479.00
heavyD^23688.50
Bahamut709.50
Daddeo30.50
      04-08-2021, 11:12 PM   #171
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

The real question is...how have your SOs adjusted to the carbon bucket seats?

My wife HATED the seats in the F80....can't even imagine what she will think of these.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 11:15 PM   #172
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcali86 View Post
Quote:
Having visited a local dealer and tried out the M Sport seats, I'm happy I went with them in my build. They're far more supportive than most will ever need unless you're on a track and are wildly comfortable at the same time

I would argue that unless you're going to track your car regularly, which the majority of buyers likely won't, the regular sport seats are more than enough for "spirited driving".

My frozen dark grey G80 Comp is scheduled for pickup April 14, and has the sport seats. Can't wait.
Please take a few pics for me as this is my color, but it's not an option in the US so I have to individual it. I don't need too many, around 1000 in the day, 1000 around sunset and 1000 at night should do
As requested.
Beautiful!
      04-09-2021, 05:57 AM   #173
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C

so after 1000 miles ... this is my TLDR assessment for me at 6'2 215lb that includes bit of belly

- ingress/egress is challenging, one must develop a system for getting in and out, main challenge again is the leg bolster. If you try to do how you get in and out of a normal seat, you will have a bad time
- for me, my method basically invovles pushing my arm against the door sill and centre armrest as a lever to support my body up while i clear the leg bolster. Sounds cumbersome but it's pretty easy now.
- seat comfort itself is excellent, side bolster is noticeable but not unmanageable, don't miss lumbar support personally
- carbon bulge in middle of seat bottom is fine and non intrusive
opielm88.00
      04-09-2021, 12:22 PM   #174
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
I drive the LA freeways in a manual every day. Always have....and every M Car I've ever owned has been a manual. Even my lil' 2021 Toyota Corolla SE commuter car is a manual. You dudes need stronger legs. I always laugh a little at the, "I drive in traffic, so no manual for me" comments, especially considering in Europe people drive MT's in traffic every day; we never hear them complain. That doesn't sound like an enthusiast view of things personally (...but those same people will inconvenience themselves by dropping the car and adding front lips that require a totally different approach to navigating a city street or driveway). The MT/traffic comments just have an aura of laziness to them. I'm mostly poking. Don't bite me!
I had a manual 991 that I owned for several years. An ankle injury left me in excruciating pain every time I drove the car. It would linger for weeks. Could not drive the car even with "Level 3" ankle brace on. Had to sell it.

So not every enthusiast wants to go through that to enjoy the car.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      04-09-2021, 12:28 PM   #175
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Quote:
I drive the LA freeways in a manual every day. Always have....and every M Car I've ever owned has been a manual. Even my lil' 2021 Toyota Corolla SE commuter car is a manual. You dudes need stronger legs. I always laugh a little at the, "I drive in traffic, so no manual for me" comments, especially considering in Europe people drive MT's in traffic every day; we never hear them complain. That doesn't sound like an enthusiast view of things personally (...but those same people will inconvenience themselves by dropping the car and adding front lips that require a totally different approach to navigating a city street or driveway). The MT/traffic comments just have an aura of laziness to them. I'm mostly poking. Don't bite me!
I had a manual 991 that I owned for several years. An ankle injury left me in excruciating pain every time I drove the car. It would linger for weeks. Could not drive the car even with "Level 3" ankle brace on. Had to sell it.

So not every enthusiast wants to go through that to enjoy the car.
You're the outlier, but I empathize with you. That's unfortunate.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 04:43 PM   #176
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:

I'm torn!

I posted in the crash thread. Offer one of these clowns who already crash their cars up some cash Wait another few weeks and there will be a few more I'm sure
Appreciate 1
KevinGS3360.50