BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-05-2024, 03:20 PM   #45
M4ROLLIN20
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 COMPETITION

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kminor2578 View Post
No regrets, from a maintenance standpoint. Only thing is scratches. For instance, a tool feel off my garage wall and clipped the rear fender and took some paint with it. $1500 dollars to fix a scratch 1/4” large. But I would still order frozen again. The look is totally worth the anxiety
Exactly, trusted shop, and you want it looking new again it’s gonna cost 💲💲💲💲
Appreciate 1
Ezra168214.50
      03-05-2024, 04:10 PM   #46
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
I’ve never had a frozen color. Last week I picked up my new M4. While at the dealer there a gentlemen came in with a scratch on his new frozen white M3. The SA he was working with told him it was near impossible to fix that on a frozen color. I could not believe my ears! Needless to say the gentleman was very upset. I provided him links to some threads where they talk about how to repair scratches on a frozen color. Never ceases to amaze me how cluess some sales people are. She even told him “I can have my body shop look at it on Monday but they will likely say the same thing”

I love the look of frozen colors but I do admit I’d be a little apprehensive about owning one due to my OCD.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2024, 06:24 PM   #47
5ilver-5amurai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Not sure about Frozen, but Magno paint was the best paint I ever owned.

Pros:
- Incredible satin look - the paint gets a lot of attention in good ways and bad. People are going to touch your car whether you like it or not.
- Looks cleaner longer - my Magno Selenite hid dirt better than any other car, I could go weeks without washing it and it would look 90% clean. Might have just been the colour in my case?
- Lack of cleaning options - yes this is a pro for me. I hate the huge amount of noise when it comes to gloss paint cleaning and maintenance options. With matte paint, there are a lot less players and the best of the best really stand out - I.E. Dr. Beasleys.
- Super hard paint - my experience with BMW gloss paint has been pretty disappointing, their paint feels super soft and you can get scratches pretty easily. I found MBs Magno to be the most forgiving paint, it doesn't show fine scratches at all. I hope this extends to the frozen paint as well.

Cons:
- In years of ownership I never once found a sure fire way to repair a scratch than a full repaint. My car was lightly scratched accidentally during an oil change and the only way confidently repair was a repaint. I opted out of it because I'd rather live with a light scratch than have a slightly mismatched panel. Most people don't realize the reason you aren't able to buff Magno is that the matte effect lives in the clear coat layer. You strip away the clear coat and you're left with shiny spots.
- Hand wash only - no more automatic car washes as many of them use gloss enhancers which will make your matte paint looking like crap over time. You dont want them to fill in the gaps in your clear coat matte effect.

TL;DR- I loved having matte paint, it was super easy on maintenence and I never saw a fine scratch on the car. When I did get a scratch, I could never find reputable way to fix it without repainting so I just accepted it.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2024, 08:35 PM   #48
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
My G80 is my second Frozen car and I have zero regrets. It's a lot of money for paint - 5x the price of regular metallic - but you get a look like no other.

I am doing front PPF (bumper/headlights) because that's where I got rock chips on my past cars. Otherwise, I'm leaving the finish untouched. I value the actual feel of matte paint.

Charles
Ezra168214.50
      03-07-2024, 01:04 PM   #49
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ml View Post
There are a couple of reasons that if I had to do it all over again I'd go frozen vice BSM with Xpel Stealth, but the main one is that there are areas that aren't covered in PPF that are still shiny BSM. They include the door handles, the underside of the hood and the painted surfaces under the hood (I show my car at local C&Cs), in the door jams, inside the trunk, etc. I see them and I think to myself that I'd rather have it be consistent inside and out so that there isn't a line between matte and gloss.
Very happy with my frozen black plus Xpel stealth wrap. I think the luster is deeper than if just stealth wrapping a metallic car. I also clear wrapped the roof etc to maintain the mirror finish on the black painted areas. Only get thumbs up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Ibiza3611.50
m4ml1834.00
Ezra168214.50
Seedster2279.00
      03-07-2024, 02:53 PM   #50
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Very happy with my frozen black plus Xpel stealth wrap. I think the luster is deeper than if just stealth wrapping a metallic car. I also clear wrapped the roof etc to maintain the mirror finish on the black painted areas. Only get thumbs up.
Very cool G81 wagon!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 03:23 PM   #51
gc.g80brg
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3C Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamal82 View Post
Fully agree - all this modern and stupid ppf-talk makes me crazy and please M friends stop making everyone nervous if not ppfed.... these are cars (M cars even more so) and meant to be used like cars... do not waste your money on such stupid stuff but rather enjoy a real M car

apart from that: no one, absolutely no one, knows the long time effect of ppf - paint must breath and I cannot imagine it is super "healthy" to cover it for such long time periods...

be it as it be, everyone should do what he wants , me personally enjoying the CSL like it is meant to be enjoyed and not caring about any fu..ing stone chips or whatever, cheers guys
My E92 M3 2009 was ppf since day 1. You know the quality of PPF in such year were not as good as today.. and such PPF tend to yellow a little. I was worried about the paint underneath so I removed the PPF and it was still in immaculate condition ! I had detail job done on it for sure afterwards and full PPF again.
2001 M3 Laguna seca 6 speed
Appreciate 1
KevinGS3359.00
      03-07-2024, 08:07 PM   #52
Ezra168
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4/Infiniti Q50S

Ugh….timely that this post came out.

I have a new Frozen Black G82. Day 1, I had it covered in full Xpel Stealth ppf for the frozen parts, and Xpel ultimate plus for the gloss parts, with Xpel Prime XR ceramic tint. Love everything about the frozen paint and feel the PPF didn’t change the look.

My stupid ass scratched the front bumper pulling in to my own garage yesterday. Thankfully it’s mostly just the PPF that took the damage, but there is a scratch.

I’d love any recommendations you all have on what to do. From what I read, I need to just have the whole damn bumper repainted, but that just seems so over the top.

Open to any advice, please and thank you in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602215.50
      03-07-2024, 08:13 PM   #53
M4ROLLIN20
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4ROLLIN20 View Post
Exactly, trusted shop, and you want it looking new again it’s gonna cost 💲💲💲💲
Is like to ask, with our frozen paint, do you think anything accident wise(scratches, dents etc) can be fixed to look almost like factory new again. I’ve had bad experiences when I was younger with expensive cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 08:23 PM   #54
M4ROLLIN20
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
I’ve never had a frozen color. Last week I picked up my new M4. While at the dealer there a gentlemen came in with a scratch on his new frozen white M3. The SA he was working with told him it was near impossible to fix that on a frozen color. I could not believe my ears! Needless to say the gentleman was very upset. I provided him links to some threads where they talk about how to repair scratches on a frozen color. Never ceases to amaze me how cluess some sales people are. She even told him “I can have my body shop look at it on Monday but they will likely say the same thing”

I love the look of frozen colors but I do admit I’d be a little apprehensive about owning one due to my OCD.
Oh wow thank you so much for your input. So as myself having a frozen color I shouldn’t be afraid of any damage because it will be fixable? As close to factory specs as possible right? 🙏
Appreciate 0