Rep
Drives: Bmw 15 F80, 2011 X5 35i, E46 M

Joe Achilles | My Honest 3500 Mile Verdict! BMW M3 Competition G80

07-01-2021, 12:41 PM   #2
frank70
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp. iX M60 on order

I used to be able to watch Joe Achilles's Youtube videos, but i can no longer force myself to watch his nonsense. Just too many videos on the M3 and too much trying to find content that nobody needs just to get content for his channel and paid by his sponsors. Michelin is his sponsor so he makes a video that he swaps perfectly OK P-Zeros for Michelins. Then another video on some useless Michelin App and sensor package to be able to measure tyre temperatures and pressures, which the car itself as standard can already do. Then he is trying to convince us all that we need PPF paint protection, which is also something that really nobody needs. BMW's paint is excellent and my last couple BMW's did not have any paint damage after > 100.000 km so who needs this ? You can better keep your money in your pocket and just repaint your front in the rare case this is needed. Then he installs some kind of radiator protection which also no-one needs. Do you think BMW builds a car that will have damaged radiators everytime a fly or a small rock hits it when driving ? Then he makes a video where he gets the car aligned so it will drive better. Also totally unneeded : i think BMW knows best how to align the car from the factory. So please mr. Achilles : move on to other cars and stop making this bullshit content that nobody needs......

Last edited by frank70; 07-03-2021 at 05:02 AM..
Appreciate 19
NickyC17484.50
02M3ForMe4261.50
Scorp!on1511.50
jimmy9980105.50
DS_BMW1603.00
CanuckM665.50
themnmd1691.00
SDRX204.00
Der_Wolf888.00
JoePcone145.00
rideontwo189.50
pizza240800.50
CityLife197.50
      07-01-2021, 01:18 PM   #3
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Tell him how you really feel Frank :
Appreciate 2
      07-01-2021, 01:20 PM   #4
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
I used to be able to watch Joe Achilles's Youtube videos, but i can no longer force myself to watch his nonsense videos. Just too much videos on the M3 and too much trying to find content that nobody needs just to get content for his channel and paid by his sponsors. Michelin is his sponsor so he makes a video that he swaps perfectly OK P-Zeros for Michelins. Then another video on some useless Michelin App and sensor package to be able to measure tyre temperatures and pressures, which the car itself as standard can already do. Then he is trying to convince us all that we need PPF paint protection, which is also something that really nobody needs. BMW's paint is excellent and my last couple BMW's did not have any paint damage after > 100.000 km so who needs this ? You can better keep your money in your pocket and just repaint your front in the rare case this is needed. Then he installs some kind of radiator protection which also no-one needs. Do you think BMW builds a car that will have damaged radiators everytime a fly or a small rock hits it when driving ? The he makes a video where he gets the car aligned so it will drive better. Also totally unneeded : i think BMW knows best how to align the car from the factory. So please mr. Achilles : move on to other cars and stop making this bullshit content that nobody needs......
agree with much of what you said. however, he does describe the driving experience well.
Appreciate 2
Scorp!on1511.50
      07-01-2021, 01:52 PM   #5
dgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E36/E46 M2C

Quote:
I used to be able to watch Joe Achilles's Youtube videos, but i can no longer force myself to watch his nonsense videos. Just too much videos on the M3 and too much trying to find content that nobody needs just to get content for his channel and paid by his sponsors. Michelin is his sponsor so he makes a video that he swaps perfectly OK P-Zeros for Michelins. Then another video on some useless Michelin App and sensor package to be able to measure tyre temperatures and pressures, which the car itself as standard can already do. Then he is trying to convince us all that we need PPF paint protection, which is also something that really nobody needs. BMW's paint is excellent and my last couple BMW's did not have any paint damage after > 100.000 km so who needs this ? You can better keep your money in your pocket and just repaint your front in the rare case this is needed. Then he installs some kind of radiator protection which also no-one needs. Do you think BMW builds a car that will have damaged radiators everytime a fly or a small rock hits it when driving ? The he makes a video where he gets the car aligned so it will drive better. Also totally unneeded : i think BMW knows best how to align the car from the factory. So please mr. Achilles : move on to other cars and stop making this bullshit content that nobody needs......
Fully agree with you. Looks like he is on Michelin payroll ... and carrying a Bibendum on his back seat isn't helping there. The Michelin and Pirelli tires are extremely close performance wise and only professional drivers with instrumented vehicles would be able to catch the marginal difference between these OE approved tires. That is the principle of OE tire development and approval.
Regarding the paint I am also with you. I have (from new) a 25 year old M3 E36 with 350,000 kms and the paint is still look Ok. What is not Ok though is the rust on the rear arch (car was used during winters) but it has nothing to do with stone impacts.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 02:45 PM   #6
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Not a surprise really, social media is cancer. The garbage is mostly comprised of lies, deception, exaggerations, fraud, grown men making thumb nails where they look like children (beta males), bot farms, fake likes/dislikes, on and on.

If I could press a button and destroy it all I would. Life was better back in the day where you could easily spot the posers, they had garage door openers clipped to their belts in an attempt to floss a beeper. Technology should have progressed no farther than flip phones and MS DOS.

Infuencers are just garbage.
Appreciate 5
      07-01-2021, 02:46 PM   #7
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Joe AShilles

Fair play, though, he's not the only one. Shmee, JWW... all these channels are unwatchable 99 out of 100 vids for me shilling for paint protection, ceramic coating, wheel spacers and wheel caps? lol
      07-01-2021, 02:49 PM   #8
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Not happy with the sponsored-ad-as-content feel of his last several posts. They're no fun and minimally informative. Even the Michelin track video didn't quite land.

Understood that it's his job. If other people like it, so be it. But if I'm going to help you pay for your car + mods with my time and attention, please give me properly entertaining content in return, or I'm outta there.
Appreciate 2
NickyC17484.50
///AVM2529.50
      07-01-2021, 06:30 PM   #9
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 15 F80, 2011 X5 35i, E46 M

You guys all makes really good points, but if you make it tell the end, I just thought it was interesting that his 3 dislikes was the steering feel, the exhaust sounds and the transmission.
      07-01-2021, 06:56 PM   #10
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

it's all entertainment, you definitely don't have to look at it. This is the good thing about having the choice and some of the information is usable and I don't fault anyone from making a honest living.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00
      07-01-2021, 07:41 PM   #11
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Not a surprise really, social media is cancer. The garbage is mostly comprised of lies, deception, exaggerations, fraud, grown men making thumb nails where they look like children (beta males), bot farms, fake likes/dislikes, on and on.

If I could press a button and destroy it all I would. Life was better back in the day where you could easily spot the posers, they had garage door openers clipped to their belts in an attempt to floss a beeper. Technology should have progressed no farther than flip phones and MS DOS.

Infuencers are just garbage.
What scares me is when there won't be anyone left who experienced life when non of this existed.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 3
NickyC17484.50
Zirenz20061542.00
Encanto1164.00
      07-01-2021, 07:54 PM   #12
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Michelin tires are better then P-zeros. And of course you need or should get PPF. At least you should on a car that you care about anyway. Ceramic coating and PPF are essential for a bad ass car like the M3. These are facts. The rest of the content of your comment is subjective.
Appreciate 3
      07-01-2021, 09:34 PM   #13
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
What scares me is when there won't be anyone left who experienced life when non of this existed.
Honestly, I'm torn between agreeing with you or responding with "Ok, boomer"
Appreciate 1
PLF693766.00
      07-01-2021, 11:18 PM   #14
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
I thought he droned on a bit on how he doesn't like the ZF8. How do you complain it's too smooth? I prefer not to be thrashed about by a DCT.
Appreciate 2
SDRX204.00
heavyD^23688.50
      07-02-2021, 02:06 AM   #15
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Forummers having the G8X and ZF 8 speed auto getting butt-hurt with Achilles who has generally been praising the G8X until now. As I have said, one needs to drive the car extensively to know it; and the G8X is fast but lacks engagement unless one drives with no fear of getting speed tickets daily. For those who haven’t viewed the video, do watch it from 7:45

Achilles, who owns the G80, is honest here, giving praise where it is due and otherwise.
      07-02-2021, 02:59 AM   #16
PIF64
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
Forummers having the G8X and ZF 8 speed auto getting butt-hurt with Achilles who has generally been praising the G8X until now. As I have said, one needs to drive the car extensively to know it; and the G8X is fast but lacks engagement unless one drives with no fear of getting speed tickets daily. For those who haven’t viewed the video, do watch it from 7:45

Achilles, who owns the G80, is honest here, giving praise where it is due and otherwise.
Hi, I normally watch all Joes videos and have a G80 x-drive on order which will be a work daily.

I have added most of the bits to my maybe shopping list ie: michelins, ceramic coating, spacers etc, etc.

I hope to get michelins on mine as never had a set before, but my question is that if I don't and spend the cash swapping the pirellis for michelins am I going to genuinely be able to tell the difference or wasting my money ??

Same with ceramic coating, the last 6 or 7 new BMW that I have bought have never had any ceramic or PPF installed and have all gone back after 3 or 4 years with high milegae and almost none or extremely minimal stone chips. Have I just been lucky and again will be wasting money on ceramic ??

Spacers and lowering are subjective I think.

Any opinons / advice welcome
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 05:09 AM   #17
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIF64 View Post
Hi, I normally watch all Joes videos and have a G80 x-drive on order which will be a work daily.

I have added most of the bits to my maybe shopping list ie: michelins, ceramic coating, spacers etc, etc.

I hope to get michelins on mine as never had a set before, but my question is that if I don't and spend the cash swapping the pirellis for michelins am I going to genuinely be able to tell the difference or wasting my money ??

Same with ceramic coating, the last 6 or 7 new BMW that I have bought have never had any ceramic or PPF installed and have all gone back after 3 or 4 years with high milegae and almost none or extremely minimal stone chips. Have I just been lucky and again will be wasting money on ceramic ??

Spacers and lowering are subjective I think.

Any opinons / advice welcome

I would test drive one with Michelin and compare it back to back against the Pirellis, if mine were fitted with the latter; and just drive it with the Pirellis till they are worn if the difference is insubstantial. I would ceramic coat it for easy maintenance and good looks, but not PPF it since the car is returned after 3 or 4 years and with your experience. Ceramic coating is not costly here compared to PPF.
      07-02-2021, 05:29 AM   #18
PIF64
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
I would test drive one with Michelin and compare it back to back against the Pirellis, if mine were fitted with the latter; and just drive it with the Pirellis till they are worn if the difference is insubstantial. I would ceramic coat it for easy maintenance and good looks, but not PPF it since the car is returned after 3 or 4 years and with your experience. Ceramic coating is not costly here compared to PPF.
Cheers - to be honest whichever it turns up with I will just enjoy it as it is and worry about it later.

Maybe down the line will consider trying the michelins to see what all the hype is about and see if I think their justified.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 06:15 AM   #19
barryc365
Major
Rep

Unless you're a professional driver I don't think there is any chance you would tell the difference between the tires and…he has the god damn Michelin man teddy bear strapped in to the back seat in the video!! :.

He's being paid to say these things about the tires, maybe not being paid actual cash, but no doubt free tyres and a free VIP Michelin track day experience etc It's an advertisement plain and simple. No doubt the Michelin's are good but how many are realistically going to toss away new Pirelli's in favor of them. Not many as it would be utter madness.

One interesting point he makes is about the ASD. The ASD makes the engine sound like it's screaming and you need to change gear when in actuality the car has a few more thousand RPM to Rev before shifting. I'm going to shut off ASD and listen to the actual engine and see does it change my feeling on when I should be shifting gear.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 07:15 AM   #20
PIF64
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
Unless you're a professional driver I don't think there is any chance you would tell the difference between the tires and…he has the god damn Michelin man teddy bear strapped in to the back seat in the video!! :.

He's being paid to say these things about the tires, maybe not being paid actual cash, but no doubt free tyres and a free VIP Michelin track day experience etc It's an advertisement plain and simple. No doubt the Michelin's are good but how many are realistically going to toss away new Pirelli's in favor of them. Not many as it would be utter madness.

One interesting point he makes is about the ASD. The ASD makes the engine sound like it's screaming and you need to change gear when in actuality the car has a few more thousand RPM to Rev before shifting. I'm going to shut off ASD and listen to the actual engine and see does it change my feeling on when I should be shifting gear.
True, i don't think sitting in London traffic and cobbled streets and on the M25 ring road warrants skipping 4 new tyres.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 07:15 AM   #21
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
. . . One interesting point he makes is about the ASD. The ASD makes the engine sound like it's screaming and you need to change gear when in actuality the car has a few more thousand RPM to Rev before shifting. I'm going to shut off ASD and listen to the actual engine and see does it change my feeling on when I should be shifting gear.
Barry

During spirited daily driving, that 'screaming engine' is what keeps me and many others engaged, and why I live in manual mode . . . to control shift points.

I am not sure why Joe - who states he prefers MT - would suggest the sound of a wrung out engine confuses him when it comes to shift points?

As has always been the case, these cars come with tachometers that prompt shift points. Hell, they even now come with shift point indicators.

ASD is not Joe's problem. . .

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 07:33 AM   #22
barryc365
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Quote:
. . . One interesting point he makes is about the ASD. The ASD makes the engine sound like it's screaming and you need to change gear when in actuality the car has a few more thousand RPM to Rev before shifting. I'm going to shut off ASD and listen to the actual engine and see does it change my feeling on when I should be shifting gear.
Barry

During spirited daily driving, that 'screaming engine' is what keeps me and many others engaged, and why I live in manual mode . . . to control shift points.

I am not sure why Joe - who states he prefers MT - would suggest the sound of a wrung out engine confuses him when it comes to shift points?

As has always been the case, these cars come with tachometers that prompt shift points. Hell, they even now come with shift point indicators.

ASD is not Joe's problem. . .

///AVM
True. I suppose I just want to experience the ASD off and see what I make of it for myself.

I haven't been really putting the car to the max frequently since it only has 300 miles on it and have been mostly in manual mode. I plan to explore it more post break in, and more importantly when my baby is not in the back seat as she has been for most of the miles so far.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50