12-27-2023, 10:08 PM   #23
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Not likely. Awron specializes in CAN/LIN technology, as their main focus is data acquisition and controls modules/harnesses/displays for BMW engine swaps.

Awron operates as a gateway device for the controller, intercepting commands, taking into effect engine parameters, and outputting a custom command/operation. EVC signals are intercepted and are controlled via factory CAN commands with additional safeties programmed in place to prevent issues (like valves not opening at all) from happening when you are using a 3rd party controller. The vehicle still does the work, still monitors, and still error checks if something is wrong. Circuit boards are professionally made in house (they have their own pick & place machine) and harnesses are professionally built with BMW/AMP connectors and harnesses matching factory wiring. You couldn't get a better kit if it wasn't offered by BMW themselves, which is a bit ironic to say as Awron was contracted to build the information displays for Alpina.

For Awron engineers, an EVC controller is a walk in the park in the overall scope for their daily tasks. The Awron module is also flash-upgradable. Have an idea for a new feature? This can be included in a firmware update and flashed onto the module - making the kit future proof.

For those that don't care about any of that, there are simpler systems like the SST/Dahler kits - which are essentially glorified garage door remotes in terms of functions - on/off, nothing more, you really get what you pay for. It's up to you to fully monitor these kits and commands as they are fully closed off from reading any data. The SST kits for example, use off-the-the shelf hobby project boxes and remotes from aliexpress for under a buck, which really question overall build quality of other areas of these kits, but we'll see how they perform down the road in due time. On the bright side - it's cheaper to replace the SST remote than batteries, so you know where to get spares if you lose them.
Not really sure what you need from something that's supposed to just open and close a flap. What actual benefit do you get from something that works the way Awron works vs anything else? I want button -> flap open. The SST accomplishes this. No reason to get anything different or more expensive.

Just because their remotes are cheap does not say anything on build quality, I think that's just grasping at straws.
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602224.50
      12-27-2023, 10:16 PM   #24
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Not really sure what you need from something that's supposed to just open and close a flap. What actual benefit do you get from something that works the way Awron works vs anything else? I want button -> flap open. The SST accomplishes this. No reason to get anything different or more expensive.

Just because their remotes are cheap does not say anything on build quality, I think that's just grasping at straws.
It's explained pretty well in my previous post. It's not my job to make the decision for you, only inform.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 10:24 PM   #25
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's explained pretty well in my previous post. It's not my job to make the decision for you, only inform.
You explained what it does but it's hardly evident what the actual *benefit* is. It does sound like it monitors and operates the system more...intricately, but why, as a consumer, should I care about that? What benefit, do I, as the consumer, get with a system that does all that then something like the SST/Dahler?

I get that you made claims that there can potentially be issues with the system not operating correctly, which you say the Awron is designed to have not happen, but I don't think anyone who sells or uses these systems can say that this is such an issue that the Awron would be a better buy for everyone.

I'm sure the product is priced accordingly for the capabilities and engineering that went into designing the product, I just don't think it's necessary, IMO.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2023, 10:42 PM   #26
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You explained what it does but it's hardly evident what the actual *benefit* is. It does sound like it monitors and operates the system more...intricately, but why, as a consumer, should I care about that? What benefit, do I, as the consumer, get with a system that does all that then something like the SST/Dahler?

I get that you made claims that there can potentially be issues with the system not operating correctly, which you say the Awron is designed to have not happen, but I don't think anyone who sells or uses these systems can say that this is such an issue that the Awron would be a better buy for everyone.

I'm sure the product is priced accordingly for the capabilities and engineering that went into designing the product, I just don't think it's necessary, IMO.
Completely agree. And manipulating CAN can have much more severe consequences then running simple splitter like SST and Dahler does to bypass signal.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 10:47 PM   #27
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:

For a valve controller, its well over-engineered - just like the platform its designed for.

If you're happy with a key remote opening and closing the valves and nothing else, that's fine. It's a very archaic method of valve control using key remotes or repurposing Homelink buttons and a step backwards on such a sophisticated platform like the M3/M4. Especially for those that sprung for BMW's Digital Key.

If you're never had a valve controller, you probably really don't know what to expect yet. Use the SST, and once you're bored with it - sell it and upgrade to the Awron. It's a bit more expensive going this direction, but having the valve profiles, safeties and others features in place along with OEM button operation make it seem like it was offered from BMW that way.

In the meantime, the keyfob sitting in the center console will remind you it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelfen360 View Post
Completely agree. And manipulating CAN can have much more severe consequences then running simple splitter like SST and Dahler does to bypass signal.
Not as much as leaving forgetting to open the valves with the remote. You have to make sure you're on top of it.

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 10:56 PM   #28
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not as much as leaving forgetting to open the valves with the remote. You have to make sure you're on top of it.
Dahler only has two setting. Open or Stock. So what’s the problem with either setting? And if u just want them open all the time it’s a great solution.
I don’t disagree that your product is more advanced but it’s still using bypass system just on a different level.
I think purely software solution is what everyone would prefer.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 10:57 PM   #29
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For a valve controller, its well over-engineered - just like the platform its designed for.

If you're happy with a key remote opening and closing the valves and nothing else, that's fine. It's a very archaic method of valve control using key remotes or repurposing Homelink buttons and a step backwards on such a sophisticated platform like the M3/M4. Especially for those that sprung for BMW's Digital Key.

If you're never had a valve controller, you probably really don't know what to expect yet. Use the SST, and once you're bored with it - sell it and upgrade to the Awron. It's a bit more expensive going this direction, but having the valve profiles, safeties and others features in place along with OEM button operation make it seem like it was offered from BMW that way.

In the meantime, the keyfob sitting in the center console will remind you it isn't.

Why does it matter if it's "archaic?" It works and works well. I haven't had a single instance of using any valve controller where it does not work as it's supposed to. The memory feature means it's OEM control every single time I turn on the car, just as much chance of failing as the Awron. They're all electronics at the end of the day.

I'm not sure what I can possibly get "bored" with from a valve controller lol...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 07:30 PM   #30
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
Another vote here for awron. I love that its integrated into the vehicle's factory system. Key fobs are very 90's. I don't have room for homelink programming. I love that it works off the sound button which can be turned on or off depending on M1/M2 modes, or by using the button itself in any mode you are in. I also love that you can plug into it and program it to open or close at any given RPM and pedal position so you don't have to mess around with it if you choose. I run a similar setup on my R8 (CETE bluetooth programmable) and appreciate the same features there. No offense to those who don't mind it, but I stay away from things acutated by a separate remote. Feels very AutoZone to me. Just IMO.
Appreciate 1
Idemo52.50
      12-30-2023, 08:19 PM   #31
808Gsxfknr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp

SST my vote. Easy install my 13 year old did it. Easy to use and great price. Thanks to Mike@XPH fast service!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 12:08 PM   #32
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808Gsxfknr View Post
SST my vote. Easy install my 13 year old did it. Easy to use and great price. Thanks to Mike@XPH fast service!
My pleasure

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 01:24 PM   #33
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
Another vote here for awron. I love that its integrated into the vehicle's factory system. Key fobs are very 90's. I don't have room for homelink programming. I love that it works off the sound button which can be turned on or off depending on M1/M2 modes, or by using the button itself in any mode you are in. I also love that you can plug into it and program it to open or close at any given RPM and pedal position so you don't have to mess around with it if you choose. I run a similar setup on my R8 (CETE bluetooth programmable) and appreciate the same features there. No offense to those who don't mind it, but I stay away from things acutated by a separate remote. Feels very AutoZone to me. Just IMO.
Agree with your points 100%. Good to see more people going the integrated Awron route.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 12:25 AM   #34
specced
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, E36 M3

I like the IRL/Valvetronic one. Mainly for the remote, it is heavy and feels like a nice piece.

Also a lot cheaper than Dahler.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 02:47 PM   #35
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by specced View Post
I like the IRL/Valvetronic one. Mainly for the remote, it is heavy and feels like a nice piece.

Also a lot cheaper than Dahler.
Do you have the valvetronic controller?

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 09:08 PM   #36
specced
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Do you have the valvetronic controller?
I do not my friend has the IRL one, which is the same thing. I just like the remote for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 09:06 AM   #37
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Remotes you can change, similar looking one is on aliexpress https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNz3CpE

I just got this one and works fine with sst.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtOhKk0
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 01:38 PM   #38
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
Remotes you can change, similar looking one is on aliexpress https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNz3CpE

I just got this one and works fine with sst.

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 02:18 PM   #39
Couna777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80M3CX

Quote:
Agree with your points 100%. Good to see more people going the integrated Awron route.
Can Awron be integrated into M buttons? or just the exhaust button in the center console?
If this can be integrated into M buttons, by changing with the sport settings in a button, I think it is very worth of money. Because I am tired of pressing any extra buttons to get to my preferred mode/setting, plus carrying around extra remote and forgetting where I put them... just me being lazy and getting old
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 02:46 PM   #40
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couna777 View Post
Can Awron be integrated into M buttons? or just the exhaust button in the center console?
If this can be integrated into M buttons, by changing with the sport settings in a button, I think it is very worth of money. Because I am tired of pressing any extra buttons to get to my preferred mode/setting, plus carrying around extra remote and forgetting where I put them... just me being lazy and getting old
Remotes are dated.

All operation is via the exhaust center console button, due to how the CAN/LIN network is laid out in the vehicle.

Appreciate 1
Couna777277.50
      01-04-2024, 07:27 PM   #41
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couna777 View Post
Its integrated into M1/M2 because even stock, the ASD button is programmable on/off in the M1/M2 settings in the car. The ASD button can override the M1/M2 preset.
Appreciate 1
Couna777277.50
      01-05-2024, 09:26 AM   #42
abenson91
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: old

Quote:
Remotes are dated.

All operation is via the exhaust center console button, due to how the CAN/LIN network is laid out in the vehicle.
Can I have any shop do the install for AWRON. It’s beyond my abilities. I don’t like the idea of the key fob controller but also I’d only ever leave it open so something like SST would be simpler and I could do that myself. But I like the idea of having the pumped in audio removed right away.

Does the AWRON require you program it or is it ready to go out the box?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 09:38 AM   #43
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenson91 View Post
Can I have any shop do the install for AWRON. It’s beyond my abilities. I don’t like the idea of the key fob controller but also I’d only ever leave it open so something like SST would be simpler and I could do that myself. But I like the idea of having the pumped in audio removed right away.

Does the AWRON require you program it or is it ready to go out the box?
U can also just pair remote to home link button. I left my remote controller at home. And I also just keep them open but do have ability on home link button to go back to stock on Dahler. Very easy.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 09:40 AM   #44
j_LaSalle_561
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp, 2023 X5 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808Gsxfknr View Post
Received my SST controller last night, installed it, and very happy with it. Need to spend some time this weekend and clean up the wires and controller..But so far so good..
Appreciate 0