BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

04-11-2023, 08:26 AM   #23
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO444 View Post
I’d love to drive that.
Must’ve surprised the hell out of everyone when you lit em up!

Which roads in Idaho are you getting the most out of the Porsche's better driving dynamics? Boise is a congested mess with only Bogus Basin, Hwy 55 to Horseshoe Bend, and the cop-infested Dry Creek Road twists. Obviously clear roads around Valley County are fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 08:44 AM   #24
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
I have owned (and I'm sure I am missing a few); 991.1S (still own), 991.2S, 991.2T, 718 GT4, 718 GTS, 718 GT4 (still own), RS3 X2, E46 M3 X2, E92 M3 X2, F80 M3 X2, Z4M Coupe, F90 M5 Comp, Macan S X2, Macan GTS X2, G80 M3.
LOL, it's nice to see others have the same car addiction as I do.

The BMWs are listed below. In the Porsche arena, it's been 964, 993, 996, 997, 991.1 and 981. I don't know what the code is for the Panamara; I had one of the early V8s.

The Porsche sports cars have no peer in driver feedback and overall communication. They are, for me, unbearable as daily drivers, just too loud and uncomfortable for me on my commute on not great roads.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 09:43 AM   #25
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
LOL, it's nice to see others have the same car addiction as I do.

The BMWs are listed below. In the Porsche arena, it's been 964, 993, 996, 997, 991.1 and 981. I don't know what the code is for the Panamara; I had one of the early V8s.

The Porsche sports cars have no peer in driver feedback and overall communication. They are, for me, unbearable as daily drivers, just too loud and uncomfortable for me on my commute on not great roads.
I think its the 970.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 07:58 PM   #26
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
Which roads in Idaho are you getting the most out of the Porsche's better driving dynamics? Boise is a congested mess with only Bogus Basin, Hwy 55 to Horseshoe Bend, and the cop-infested Dry Creek Road twists. Obviously clear roads around Valley County are fun.
Idaho has some of the most beautiful roadways I’ve seen, and I’ve lived all over this country east west north south, and outside it. Snow capped mountains are just a permanent feature, gorgeous river roads that twist and wind and turn for miles and miles, many of them empty for much of the day.

Why would you think of Boise, it’s largest metropolitan area as the place to go driving lol. Probably a CA transplant.

I don’t live in or go to Boise as much as possible. I thought to give you some nice roads, but “cop-infested”?

Nevermind.

The police here are the easiest to live with, bar-none. If you’ve had a problem with these guys, or think they are oppressive lol. If you can’t manage to live with Idaho cops then I just can’t help ya.

Try the Porsche app.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2023, 08:49 PM   #27
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

Quote:
Idaho has some of the most beautiful roadways I’ve seen, and I’ve lived all over this country east west north south, and outside it. Snow capped mountains are just a permanent feature, gorgeous river roads that twist and wind and turn for miles and miles, many of them empty for much of the day.

Why would you think of Boise, it’s largest metropolitan area as the place to go driving lol. Probably a CA transplant.

I don’t live in or go to Boise as much as possible. I thought to give you some nice roads, but “cop-infested”?

Nevermind.

The police here are the easiest to live with, bar-none. If you’ve had a problem with these guys, or think they are oppressive lol. If you can’t manage to live with Idaho cops then I just can’t help ya.

Try the Porsche app.
Born and raised in Idaho. Fourth generation. Left for military and college. Have home outside Boise. Apologies for thinking you were in Boise. The roads outside the capital city are obviously less cop infested and a lot more flowing for driving; my cop friends tell me how they've increased patrols in tandem due to road rage and speeding.
When we drive toward Stanley or Ketchum or up north (went to U of I) into Montana is great fun.
Again, no disrespect intended in any way presuming you were a Boise area driver.

Last edited by YamaLink; 04-11-2023 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 09:06 PM   #28
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
Born and raised in Idaho. Fourth generation. Left for military and college. Have home outside Boise. Apologies for thinking you were in Boise. The roads outside the capital city are obviously less cop infested and a lot more flowing for driving; my cop friends tell me how they've increased patrols in tandem due to road rage and speeding.
When we drive toward Stanley or Ketchum or up north (went to U of I) into Montana is great fun.
Again, no disrespect intended in any way presuming you were a Boise area driver.
In the treasure valley,
black canyon highway.

Sry but you sounded anticop and like you couldn’t believe Idaho has any good roads.
There’s tons of em, just gotta get out of the cities.

As you go down that road you can have a pretty decent meal not too far down at Anderson Ranch as well.

Peace
Appreciate 2
      04-11-2023, 10:06 PM   #29
deathmetal666
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

I spent a weekend in a 718 S manual.
It’s a raw experience…more visceral than an M3…but it’s not a daily driver in any way for me.
The clutch was like doing a leg press. The shifter is stiff.
The torque wasn’t great so you had to rev it out.

It’s a weekend carver for a couple hours…that’s about it.
I’ll take the g80 M3 anyway as a daily and road tripper.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 04:20 PM   #30
Zamorskii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M3CX

My wife drives a 958.2 Cayenne Platinum Edition and it feels like a shitty boat after my M3,
I am trying to convince her to at least upgrade to a 958.2 GTS, but she doesn't want to spend the money and doesn't like updated interiors of 2019+ Cayennes. 3rd world problems, I guess.
      04-18-2023, 07:11 PM   #31
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
I have zero interest in ever owning a Porsche. I don't get the whole Porsche obsession. If I'm blowing that much money on a true sports car it's sure as hell not going to be German and it sure as hell ain't going to look like a Beetle.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2023, 07:20 PM   #32
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:

Nevermind.

Try the Porsche app.
I drive through Idaho every May on the way to Vegas. Stay in Idaho Falls and love the area. Have met some really good rural people and the cops have always been friendly. Great side roads too.
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      04-18-2023, 08:56 PM   #33
FXMR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Porsche guy at heart...owned one and have lusted over prime number GT cars for years, but a few things have been killing it for me lately.

1) The vast majority of the community is utterly ridiculous
2) The prices (both new/ADM and used) are just out of control
3) Nearly every desirable model in the lineup is completely unobtainable
4) They have morphed from understated drivers cars "those who know, know" into a social symbol "look at me"

Gone are the days where many owners would actually drive their cars for enjoyment and in are the days where they would rather post about their PTS and CXX options for clout.

I certainly see one, actually many, in my future...but I'd be lying if I said the lust is there as it used to be.
Appreciate 5
M4Tejas788.00
Llarry16024.00
PLF693767.50
MACHT260.50
      04-19-2023, 03:18 AM   #34
M4Tejas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G82 M4xDrive

Talking VRSCDX

....2007 less than 2500 miles.......fun toy

VRSCDX with Porsche engine sent to HD Kansas for final production. No longer made. engine is refined (balanced) for a V-Twin, Brembo brakes, HD drag bike seat low rider stance it gets it fast

.......needless to say I modded the fk out of this one, works shocks, 260 fat tyre etc

matte black/gloss black stripe combo - wheels were all black, brushed on aircraft stripper to them after taping them off good with 3m blue tape, shit bubbled up and came off.......no polish necessary, as they are finished before factory powdercoat
Attached Images

2022 M4 Comp xDrive Aventurin Red Metallic
https://wieninger.de/ Seit 1666

Last edited by M4Tejas; 04-19-2023 at 03:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 06:39 AM   #35
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXMR View Post
Porsche guy at heart...owned one and have lusted over prime number GT cars for years, but a few things have been killing it for me lately.

4) They have morphed from understated drivers cars "those who know, know" into a social symbol "look at me"

Gone are the days where many owners would actually drive their cars for enjoyment and in are the days where they would rather post about their PTS and CXX options for clout.

I certainly see one, actually many, in my future...but I'd be lying if I said the lust is there as it used to be.
Unfortunately your mostly right. Gotta say BMW forum is now more about carbon everything, drop it to max and attend cars and coffee. The more hardcore drive it till death crowd is still here but we are submerged in an ocean of poseur and internet braggers.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 4
RM73343.50
M4Tejas788.00
      04-19-2023, 11:27 AM   #36
FXMR
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
Unfortunately your mostly right. Gotta say BMW forum is now more about carbon everything, drop it to max and attend cars and coffee. The more hardcore drive it till death crowd is still here but we are submerged in an ocean of poseur and internet braggers.
Truth.

I’ll gladly say that I’m totally out of the car scene…not like I was really even in it to begin with, but I have zero desire to stand in a parking lot and talk about options or build numbers. Everyone loves to talk about what they have instead of actually using it now.

In addition to track days I have a small group of friends that go out and drive backroads on weekends, usually a hundred or so miles by 10/11am and then we go our ways. This is where I get my fix and I do it for the enjoyment of driving. Don’t care to even go to a Cars and Coffee or ‘show’ ever again.
Appreciate 2
PLF693767.50
M4Tejas788.00
      04-19-2023, 04:46 PM   #37
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:

I don’t disagree with what you wrote, but I’d say that Porsche is not to blame, and you can’t fault them for cashing in on their success with the trendy. I just saw a shark blue gt3rs and believe me I liked it a lot, but it was parked at a strip mall not a track. You have a point, but Porsche isn’t to blame.

The Boxster / Cayman are still exactly what you are looking for and priced accordingly. I think Porsche is doing everything right tbh. Let them make their money as long as they offer driving experiences like the 718 for money that real people can afford.

Like the 718, the m3 imo, is also a veritable bargain in a world of $50,000 average new car prices and $100,000 suv and pickup trucks.

I feel like Porsche is doing just fine, and I definitely still want that gt3rs even though it was shopping at the mall.

Prices are insane, but that’s not just cars.
It’s literally everything.
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      04-21-2023, 04:29 PM   #38
FXMR
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I don’t disagree with what you wrote, but I’d say that Porsche is not to blame, and you can’t fault them for cashing in on their success with the trendy. I just saw a shark blue gt3rs and believe me I liked it a lot, but it was parked at a strip mall not a track. You have a point, but Porsche isn’t to blame.

The Boxster / Cayman are still exactly what you are looking for and priced accordingly. I think Porsche is doing everything right tbh. Let them make their money as long as they offer driving experiences like the 718 for money that real people can afford.

Like the 718, the m3 imo, is also a veritable bargain in a world of $50,000 average new car prices and $100,000 suv and pickup trucks.

I feel like Porsche is doing just fine, and I definitely still want that gt3rs even though it was shopping at the mall.

Prices are insane, but that’s not just cars.
It’s literally everything.
I am not blaming Porsche.
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      04-21-2023, 04:43 PM   #39
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Truth.

I’ll gladly say that I’m totally out of the car scene…not like I was really even in it to begin with, but I have zero desire to stand in a parking lot and talk about options or build numbers. Everyone loves to talk about what they have instead of actually using it now.

In addition to track days I have a small group of friends that go out and drive backroads on weekends, usually a hundred or so miles by 10/11am and then we go our ways. This is where I get my fix and I do it for the enjoyment of driving. Don’t care to even go to a Cars and Coffee or ‘show’ ever again.
Agreed - I have owned my share of 911s, Caymans, Macans, and my two most recent were 718 GT4s. It's become a sad community of people and is quite telling when Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Mclaren owners drive their cars more than those with Porsche sports cars. As much as I love the GT3RS, for 500K (which is what they're selling for here with a 200K ADM) I would be more interested in a 765LT coupe.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 05:10 PM   #40
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

ive had a 458 and currently a .2 gt3. multiple M cars for daily drivers. and a tuned GTR which is similar to a G82 in how it tries to get lap times out of a heavy chassis.

the thing is porsche still offer a 500hp GT3 manual that weighs around 3100 pounds. no other exotic offers that. hardly any offer a naturally aspirated engine that revs to 9. the huracan is being axed and the R8 isn't really on the level of a GT3 or Mclaren in terms of performance.

so for that niche porsche is the only option and they have a gt3 and gt4.

if weight, auto trans, and turbo lag don't matter to you i envy you. you have alot of options on the market.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      04-21-2023, 07:54 PM   #41
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
ive had a 458 and currently a .2 gt3. multiple M cars for daily drivers. and a tuned GTR which is similar to a G82 in how it tries to get lap times out of a heavy chassis.

the thing is porsche still offer a 500hp GT3 manual that weighs around 3100 pounds. no other exotic offers that. hardly any offer a naturally aspirated engine that revs to 9. the huracan is being axed and the R8 isn't really on the level of a GT3 or Mclaren in terms of performance.

so for that niche porsche is the only option and they have a gt3 and gt4.

if weight, auto trans, and turbo lag don't matter to you i envy you. you have alot of options on the market.
Just saw a gt3 touring at my local dealership. Already sold obviously, as every single 911 that comes into the dealership is long in advance, but it was $244k.

I think it was manual trans, but could have been pdk since they made the pdk look like a manual in that one. Had carbon ceramics.
Looked so nice.

Would love to get inside it, but 244k?
Wish it was a more interesting color, not sure which one but it was a metallic grey or silver. Definitely not agate, as that color I know well.

I could afford it if I stretched but I just don’t want the car that much when the cayman exists. A Cayman with over 400hp?
Idk, that’s pretty compelling for the price compared to the 911 at a quarter mil.

I’m so disappointed that they are making the 718 exclusively EV though. I know it will be great, yada yada… but I want an engine.

That’s such a large part of why I bought the m3cx. Yes, I do want speed and the latest tech, but not at all costs.

I feel like pretty soon it really will be the 911 and that’s it. There won’t be anything else out there for those that want ICE, mt, and serious power.

Unless… dare I say it… unless the Japanese step up and start offering 400hp GR86. Imagine a 400hp Gr86 straight from Toyota for $45k.

Oh man.
I can dream.
Appreciate 2
Humdizzle6070.50
M4Tejas788.00
      04-22-2023, 06:51 AM   #42
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Just saw a gt3 touring at my local dealership. Already sold obviously, as every single 911 that comes into the dealership is long in advance, but it was $244k.

I think it was manual trans, but could have been pdk since they made the pdk look like a manual in that one. Had carbon ceramics.
Looked so nice.

Would love to get inside it, but 244k?
Wish it was a more interesting color, not sure which one but it was a metallic grey or silver. Definitely not agate, as that color I know well.

I could afford it if I stretched but I just don’t want the car that much when the cayman exists. A Cayman with over 400hp?
Idk, that’s pretty compelling for the price compared to the 911 at a quarter mil.

I’m so disappointed that they are making the 718 exclusively EV though. I know it will be great, yada yada… but I want an engine.

That’s such a large part of why I bought the m3cx. Yes, I do want speed and the latest tech, but not at all costs.

I feel like pretty soon it really will be the 911 and that’s it. There won’t be anything else out there for those that want ICE, mt, and serious power.

Unless… dare I say it… unless the Japanese step up and start offering 400hp GR86. Imagine a 400hp Gr86 straight from Toyota for $45k.

Oh man.
I can dream.

When I was looking at GT3's here in California, they were closer to $300K; some over $300k. At $244k that makes purchasing one almost palatable. I would have jumped on one at that price.
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      04-22-2023, 10:46 AM   #43
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
I think this is exactly it with the M3 - not so much the M4. The amount of people out there that will scream "impractical sports car" at the M3, whilst driving something else around $100k that is marginally more practical or infinitely more practical but will never, ever, be used as such, is astounding. The standard American argument for practicality really translates to "I'm too lazy, too fat, or both to use a sedan to do what I can do I can do with my mid-sized SUV or my pick-up truck." I'm not saying there isn't a purpose for those vehicles - I have a massive full-sized LR Disco V with the glorious diesel. It's amazing for hauling the boat, dogs and other stuff - especially garden/yard related stuff. However, most of what it's used for could be done with the M3.
Appreciate 2
DO4441410.50
M4Tejas788.00
      04-22-2023, 12:03 PM   #44
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
When I was looking at GT3's here in California, they were closer to $300K; some over $300k. At $244k that makes purchasing one almost palatable. I would have jumped on one at that price.
Yeah Tourings dont sell for sticker unless the buyer has a pre order or a ginormous dealer relationship...

The GT3 market values have dissipated but its still well over sticker ADM wise.

Manheim is still pushing 241k average sales on non tourings (2022 my)--- tourings are even more. So this is pre lending value, pre wholesale, pre recon, pre fee, etc ... The P car GT market remains strong.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50