BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

06-22-2023, 09:08 AM   #45
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

I owned a Model 3 LR for a little over a year and a half, and a model 3 Performance for 2 and a half. During that time, I owned a 911 for a weekend driver. My basic synopsis:

Nothing gives you the performance for the money as a Tesla. Especially the Model 3 P. Nothing comes close.

Everyone way overblows the "spartan" interior thing. It's fine. You learn that the software is very good, and everything runs in auto.

The Model 3 suspension is pure garbage.

Brakes are not much better...

Tesla service was decent before they started selling the Model Y. Now it's a total CF.

Software updates giving you new features is amazing. Truly. But that slowed after December 2020.

Having a fast EV as a commuter car de-stresses you to no end and allows you to drive like a dirtbag without attracting much attention because no noise.

Most Tesla owners have never cared about a car before their Tesla. They are now car fans but know nothing and it shows. They think their car is the bomb because they believe Elon and don't know better to know when he's lying.

The original Tesla.com forum was more toxic than 4Chan. Tesla Motors Club is slightly less. TeslaOwnersOnline doesn't have much traffic but is WAY, WAY friendlier.

After 4 years, the auto wipers are still a hot steaming dumpster fire of a disaster.

Enhanced Auto Pilot was great, and now lags behind systems from GM, Ford, BMW, Mercedes, etc. I just spent 8 days in an X5 and it's WAY smoother than my Tesla was at braking, lane changes.

Tesla changes stuff ALL. THE. TIME. Anyone who says that the Model S is a 12 year old car doesn't understand Tesla. The only thing 12 years old about that car is the unibody. Everything else is new. Tesla doesn't do model years. They change stuff as soon as they figure out a better / different / cheaper way. This causes issues when trying to repair because sometimes they don't know what version is in your car.

The Model 3 has ok build quality, but parts quality is equivalent to early 2000's Acura. Very thin, no insulation, no weight or heft. It's a big reason why the cars are so light.

Tesla has figured out how to game the EPA tests and the highway range will never match the ratings. Having said that, they are still some of the most efficient EV's out there. And in the top 25% as far as charging speed goes.

It is very easy to road trip a Tesla with the Supercharger network.

You need to learn to do Math to drive an EV well. Understand the new lingo of kWh, charging speed, charging curves, Wh/mile consumption, etc.

The model 3 is like driving a 3 series BMW with a 3 gallon gas tank (including reserve) that gets 95 MPG all around, 70 MPG highway. Any rain, headwind, cold, etc., you're going to feel it and it's going to drastically effect your consumption and therefore range.

There is a huge cult of Tesla and if you're not into it, it can be a huge turnoff.

In the end, I had enough of dealing with Elon, incompetent service people, but moreover just dealing with a sub-par car with an amazing drivetrain. There are many things I miss and many more I don't.
Appreciate 4
M4ord788.50
DO4441408.50
kgelfen3602217.00
      06-22-2023, 02:57 PM   #46
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I owned a Model 3 LR for a little over a year and a half, and a model 3 Performance for 2 and a half. During that time, I owned a 911 for a weekend driver. My basic synopsis:

Nothing gives you the performance for the money as a Tesla. Especially the Model 3 P. Nothing comes close.

Everyone way overblows the "spartan" interior thing. It's fine. You learn that the software is very good, and everything runs in auto.

Tesla service was decent before they started selling the Model Y. Now it's a total CF.

Software updates giving you new features is amazing. Truly. But that slowed after December 2020.

Having a fast EV as a commuter car de-stresses you to no end and allows you to drive like a dirtbag without attracting much attention because no noise.

Most Tesla owners have never cared about a car before their Tesla. They are now car fans but know nothing and it shows. They think their car is the bomb because they believe Elon and don't know better to know when he's lying.

The original Tesla.com forum was more toxic than 4Chan. Tesla Motors Club is slightly less. TeslaOwnersOnline doesn't have much traffic but is WAY, WAY friendlier.

After 4 years, the auto wipers are still a hot steaming dumpster fire of a disaster.

Enhanced Auto Pilot was great, and now lags behind systems from GM, Ford, BMW, Mercedes, etc. I just spent 8 days in an X5 and it's WAY smoother than my Tesla was at braking, lane changes.

Tesla changes stuff ALL. THE. [...]
Good synopsis.
What do you think about Toyota’s solid state EV battery?

Supposedly a true game changer with ~1,000 mile range and a 5min charge… with Toyota quality?

Could put Tesla to pasture if real imo.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 10:20 AM   #47
Jackie Chiles
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Quote:

Tesla changes stuff ALL. THE. TIME. Anyone who says that the Model S is a 12 year old car doesn't understand Tesla. The only thing 12 years old about that car is the unibody. Everything else is new. Tesla doesn't do model years. They change stuff as soon as they figure out a better / different / cheaper way. This causes issues when trying to repair because sometimes they don't know what version is in your car.

The Model 3 has ok build quality, but parts quality is equivalent to early 2000's Acura. Very thin, no insulation, no weight or heft. It's a big reason why the cars are so light.

Tesla has figured out how to game the EPA tests and the highway range will never match the ratings. Having said that, they are still some of the most efficient EV's out there. And in the top 25% as far as charging speed goes.

You need to learn to do Math to drive an EV well. Understand the new lingo of kWh, charging speed, charging curves, Wh/mile consumption, etc.

The model 3 is like driving a 3 series BMW with a 3 gallon gas tank (including reserve) that gets 95 MPG all around, 70 MPG highway. Any rain, headwind, cold, etc., you're going to feel it and it's going to drastically effect your consumption and therefore range.

There is a huge cult of Tesla and if you're not into it, it can be a huge turnoff.

In the end, I had enough of dealing with Elon, incompetent service people, but moreover just dealing with a sub-par car with an amazing drivetrain. There are many things I miss and many more I don't.
Disagree on a couple of details, but my major quibble is that a road trip in a Tesla offers stress, complexity and extra time.

A simple 5 hour trip turns into a 6.5 PITA because of the need to charge twice.

There are other reasons why I ditched my M3P including phantom braking, sudden and unexplained power reduction that was actually dangerous on two occasions, poor communications regarding service, etc.

But what really pushed me over the edge was the problem with longer trips.

My M4CX totally kicks the M3P's ass, and I would not have looked back if it wasn't for this thread popping up in my feed.
2023 M4CX - RIP - WGI Turn 9
2024 M4CX - Week 39
Appreciate 1
bri10425940.00
      06-23-2023, 11:47 AM   #48
Damion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: In the Market 4 G80

i have drivin Teslas and other hybrid/electric cars and personally no matter if they where the fastest cars on the planet i wouldn't buy one, the lack of raw emotion in the cars is sad. i feel like their is no feeling form the car. to me its an over priced golf cart with AC. but to each their own i guess
      06-23-2023, 11:56 AM   #49
JY01
JY01
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
I’m kind of the opposite. A Tesla is the only car I would take on a long road trip. I feel a lot more comfortable putting miles on the car since it doesn’t need maintenance other than tires, and I already got screwed enough on depreciation + price cuts that I don’t care about the car’s value anymore. I drove my MYP cross country twice, and I liked stopping every 2 hours to charge since it gave me plenty of chances to use the bathroom or get food, and I was considerably less tired at the end of each day. There were a couple times I didn’t have to do either though and it did feel like a complete waste of time lol

I think a Tesla is the perfect daily beater but I couldn’t imagine replacing my M4 with one. Maybe an S Plaid but when I drove one it felt like a boat around corners, only fun when I was flooring it.
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      06-23-2023, 05:21 PM   #50
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion View Post
i have drivin Teslas and other hybrid/electric cars and personally no matter if they where the fastest cars on the planet i wouldn't buy one, the lack of raw emotion in the cars is sad. i feel like their is no feeling form the car. to me its an over priced golf cart with AC. but to each their own i guess
Unrelatedly,
Costco sells $12,000-$15,000 golf carts in store now lol. They do feel somewhat similar to an EV, in a basic way.

I couldn’t believe when I walked into the store and looked at that… and there are the names of all the people who bought one listed as some kind of accomplishment or something.
Yikes.

No offense and all, and I’m sure they are great for their intended purpose… but $12,000 to $15k?

This world blows my mind.
A new base Tesla is what, $36k

Or, for a third of that you have a golf cart that goes idk… 12 mph for a half hour ha ha.

I’m a cheap son of a bitch I guess.
If I bought one of those I’d pay Costco extra to not put my name down as having bought one lol.
Embarrassing.

I don’t know.
I waste money too, whatever.
I’m not into the silent car thing. Every day I drive the m3, I give it the beans, and it puts a smile on my face.

I love it.
It’s not just about speed. It’s the whole package. Seems Toyota realizes this and is working to try to recreate the magic of ICE vehicles in an EV package. I hope they come up with something cool, because you are correct… EV are boring.
Appreciate 3
      06-23-2023, 08:28 PM   #51
Damion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: In the Market 4 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO444 View Post
Unrelatedly,
Costco sells $12,000-$15,000 golf carts in store now lol. They do feel somewhat similar to an EV, in a basic way.

I couldn’t believe when I walked into the store and looked at that… and there are the names of all the people who bought one listed as some kind of accomplishment or something.
Yikes.

No offense and all, and I’m sure they are great for their intended purpose… but $12,000 to $15k?

Or, for a third of that you have a golf cart that goes idk… 12 mph for a half hour ha ha.

If I bought one of those I’d pay Costco extra to not put my name down as having bought one lol.
Embarrassing.

I don’t know.
I’m not into the silent car thing. Every day I drive the m3, I give it the beans, and it puts a smile on my face.

I love it.
It’s not just about speed. It’s the whole package. Seems Toyota realizes this and is working to try to recreate the magic of ICE vehicles in an EV package. I hope they come up with something cool, because you are correct… EV are boring.
Agreed
      06-24-2023, 11:22 AM   #52
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Unfortunately, my M4 is like a woman that has her hair and her nails done, and dresses nice. I have to watch where I park. I have to watch pulling up to curbs. I have to watch leaving the parking lots, or the front lip scrapes.

It’s fast, but, after even driving the non plaid, the m4 doesn’t accelerate close to the long range. The in city red light to red light rush is intense. Agreed I’m worried about the brakes being garbage. I’d have to get the CCBs. Which adds to the cost. But; I’m also hoping that that it’s going to be an option to order when you’re having the car built. It should be the same as the G82. I added CCBs for $8,100. If I can do that with the plaid, I would.
I get why somebody would, but you don’t have to treat it like a queen. I remember after tuning mine, I had similar feelings because every time I would go out at night to do some runs, the front end would get loaded with bugs. I was bored as shit one night watching Seinfeld reruns and just decided “fuck it, I wanna play” and haven’t really cared since. Much happier this way. Car is filthy in my garage right now and I slept well last night lol

Regarding straight line speed, it’ll take a whole lot to catch a Plaid but the LR is simple to pass. I’ve only got an E55 tune and DP’s and I’m running 10.1 @ 137 before I put the good rubber on. Best 60-130 so far was 5.79. I have a friend with an LR and convinced him to get a dragy so we could “remote race” by comparing slips. He stopped sending them to me a while ago

If you’re interested in taking the G82’s to Laguna for a track day before you sell, hit a brother up. Put the queens in their place
      06-25-2023, 01:51 PM   #53
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Good synopsis.
What do you think about Toyota’s solid state EV battery?

Supposedly a true game changer with ~1,000 mile range and a 5min charge… with Toyota quality?

Could put Tesla to pasture if real imo.
Everyone is chasing the solid state battery, but until then, I'll believe it when I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Disagree on a couple of details, but my major quibble is that a road trip in a Tesla offers stress, complexity and extra time.

A simple 5 hour trip turns into a 6.5 PITA because of the need to charge twice.

There are other reasons why I ditched my M3P including phantom braking, sudden and unexplained power reduction that was actually dangerous on two occasions, poor communications regarding service, etc.

My M4CX totally kicks the M3P's ass, and I would not have looked back if it wasn't for this thread popping up in my feed.
Meh, I road tripped the Tesla plenty, and never really had much range anxiety, or stress from added time. I will say that last fall I rented a Model Y and encountered some very slow charging time which was annoying. Never was able to get above 65 kWh at multiple stations. I wonder if Hertz nerfs the charging speed on their cars. I'm not sure if I checked the charging settings or not.

But even with that, in an area where I've never owned an EV it wasn't bad.

Now having said that, if I were doing a bunch of trips, I kind of agree with you, I probably wouldn't get an EV. I'd say about 6 hours is the max I would do on a REGULAR basis. I used to do 4 hour runs from Houston to Dallas and back in the same day. Two charging stops one up and one back and while I added probably an extra 45 minutes to an hour of charging time during the day, it was fine. Allowed me to stop and stretch, take a break. Really added no additional stress and didn't really extend my trip at all.
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      06-25-2023, 02:06 PM   #54
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:

12 year old car.
Appreciate 2
OGM1139.00
DO4441408.50
      06-25-2023, 04:31 PM   #55
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Unrelatedly,

Yikes.

Embarrassing.

I don’t know.

I love it.
Not sure where you live, but golf carts are hugely popular in tons of places. Where my shore house is, everyone has them. Some communities you can only own a golf cart. So easy just to drive them in crowded areas. Easy to park and the last for hours. Plus you can get battery or gas. You can spend 30 on them if you Pimp them out. YOLO!!!
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      06-25-2023, 07:47 PM   #56
OGM1
Pretty good. Pretttttttty, pretttttttttty good
Rep
Drives: X3, M4

43 and 44 need to get a room.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13473.50
      06-25-2023, 08:19 PM   #57
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
12 year old car.
Literally the only thing that’s the same is the unibody and maybe the taillights. Interior, front end, headlights, powertrain, the whole thing. But call it a 12 year old car if you want just because it looks the same.
Appreciate 2
JY01692.50
DO4441408.50
      06-25-2023, 08:23 PM   #58
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Literally the only thing that’s the same is the unibody and maybe the taillights. Interior, front end, headlights, powertrain, the whole thing. But call it a 12 year old car if you want just because it looks the same.
We're not stupid, you know.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 10:01 PM   #59
OGM1
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      06-25-2023, 10:46 PM   #60
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
Not sure where you live, but golf carts are hugely popular in tons of places. Where my shore house is, everyone has them. Some communities you can only own a golf cart. So easy just to drive them in crowded areas. Easy to park and the last for hours. Plus you can get battery or gas. You can spend 30 on them if you Pimp them out. YOLO!!!
I’d rather eat a shit sandwich than pay $30,000 for a golf cart.
Appreciate 2
Damion407.50
      06-26-2023, 06:49 AM   #61
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
I’d rather eat a shit sandwich than pay $30,000 for a golf cart.
Lol. You and me both. But there are plenty of people who don’t even sweat 30 G’s for a golf cart
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      06-26-2023, 07:39 AM   #62
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
We're not stupid, you know.
Never said you were. Nor do I have a dog in this fight but I also am willing to give credit where it is due.

I'm not stupid either, and recognize that the 2023 Model S has virtually nothing in common with the 2012. So the fact that the body style debuted that long ago wouldn't be a reason I didn't buy one.

The fact that it's a Tesla would be.
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      06-26-2023, 08:40 AM   #63
OGM1
Rep

Quote:
Never said you were. Nor do I have a dog in this fight but I also am willing to give credit where it is due.

I'm not stupid either, and recognize that the 2023 Model S has virtually nothing in common with the 2012. So the fact that the body style debuted that long ago wouldn't be a reason I didn't buy one.

The fact that it's a Tesla would be.
You’re totally right. He forgot about fart noises and self driving that doesn’t self drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 11:03 PM   #64
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Vic55 https://www.facebook.com/reel/143611...ibextid=9imq16

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 08:46 AM   #65
Vic55