BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

05-29-2023, 08:11 AM   #23
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
I hear you. I couldn't imagine BMW still making an M3 on a platform from 2012 though. Why does Tesla get a pass.
Nissan and Dodge response to still using a platform from 2012 being a bad thing:

"2012? Pfft. Hold my light beer while I get into my car designed when Bush Jr. was still in office..."
Appreciate 2
tatarwj378.00
      05-29-2023, 12:41 PM   #24
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
I couldn't help myself. All I learned was that it seems like the average model 3 driver has never owned a car before and that the reliability rumors appear to be true. The amount of cracked rear window threads was a bit alarming.
Appreciate 3
DO4441408.50
      05-29-2023, 09:01 PM   #25
JY01
JY01
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
I drove a long range S, last weekend. Not knowing anything about the long range, I wasn't expecting much. I didn't realize they were 670hp, until after I got home, and looked at the information on one. The acceleration is mind blowing.

I actually had a headache from darting around in it. You're not ready for the acceleration from a red light. It feels like launch control in my G82 xDrive, but, at half throttle, and just pressing the accelerator, slightly.

You have to feather the pedal, otherwise everytime you leave the light, it feels like launch control. 60-130 in 7.7 vs the G80s 9.8. Its night and day. 10.6 @ 129 for $88k, its something else. But, I would still need a Plaid. If the CCBs weren't $20k for it, I would probably already have one.
I test drove a Plaid at my showroom earlier today and the acceleration was insane. I was honestly expecting a bit more because of all the hype and reaction videos on YouTube, but it was still amazing to experience. The car had zero trouble putting the power down and it didn’t feel scary or dramatic at all, just raw acceleration. Pretty cool for basically the quickest accelerating production car to feel so approachable.

The rest of the car was pretty mediocre and numb, just for starters I wish it had more supportive seats and better brakes. It would be a great second car as a daily but I don’t think I could get rid of my M4 for one.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13472.00
      05-29-2023, 09:08 PM   #26
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JY01 View Post
I test drove a Plaid at my showroom earlier today and the acceleration was insane. I was honestly expecting a bit more because of all the hype and reaction videos on YouTube, but it was still amazing to experience. The car had zero trouble putting the power down and it didn’t feel scary or dramatic at all, just raw acceleration. Pretty cool for basically the quickest accelerating production car to feel so approachable.

The rest of the car was pretty mediocre and numb, just for starters I wish it had more supportive seats and better brakes. It would be a great second car as a daily but I don’t think I could get rid of my M4 for one.
Unfortunately, my M4 is like a woman that has her hair and her nails done, and dresses nice. I have to watch where I park. I have to watch pulling up to curbs. I have to watch leaving the parking lots, or the front lip scrapes.

It’s fast, but, after even driving the non plaid, the m4 doesn’t accelerate close to the long range. The in city red light to red light rush is intense. Agreed I’m worried about the brakes being garbage. I’d have to get the CCBs. Which adds to the cost. But; I’m also hoping that that it’s going to be an option to order when you’re having the car built. It should be the same as the G82. I added CCBs for $8,100. If I can do that with the plaid, I would.

Appreciate 1
JY01692.50
      05-29-2023, 09:53 PM   #27
JY01
JY01
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Unfortunately, my M4 is like a woman that has her hair and her nails done, and dresses nice. I have to watch where I park. I have to watch pulling up to curbs. I have to watch leaving the parking lots, or the front lip scrapes.

It’s fast, but, after even driving the non plaid, the m4 doesn’t accelerate close to the long range. The in city red light to red light rush is intense. Agreed I’m worried about the brakes being garbage. I’d have to get the CCBs. Which adds to the cost. But; I’m also hoping that that it’s going to be an option to order when you’re having the car built. It should be the same as the G82. I added CCBs for $8,100. If I can do that with the plaid, I would.
On paper the Long Range is probably similar to a downpipe + tune M4, but the instant torque and lack of gear shifts/RPM chasing make it feel next level for sure. Hopefully Tesla will cut Plaid prices by another $10-15k to offset the CCB upgrade lol
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13472.00
      05-29-2023, 10:32 PM   #28
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
If I went EV.. maybe a Taycan turbo….

teslas are such shit
Appreciate 4
DO4441408.50
KANdaddy2497.00
      05-30-2023, 09:33 AM   #29
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Most of you know I have had a Plaid for a very long time (early adopter in Seot 2021)... why do I still have it, cause its a novelty that cant be denied for the usage I do. I have it for daily driving and street rips and also because... I can.

Dont get me wrong, Im an ICE boy all day but I had to get it and still takes a spot with my other loud, rowdy rides that are slower. Also I guess Im extremely lucky but zero quality issues thus far. I swapped the lame ass wheel and enjoy it for what it is, a super fucking fast golf cart.

The brakes are only shit if one doesnt understand physics and the sheer amount of speed and weight combined. I drive to MY limits and not the car's limits so I know when and if I need to be careful with the sub par brakes (for this much tq and hp along with weight). I am not the guy that will track it and lose it off grid. With that being said, they are still overall subpar because of 4900lb or close curb weight along with the inertia created with such power. Its exponentially faster than any of my other cars and thus needs a more cognizant drive to start braking earlier vs later if one is ripping this car up to 150 which can get there very very fast.

I love the M's for everything the Plaid isnt but its a cool add on car (3rd or 4th or 6th LOLOLOL)

This was a cool vid to watch not for justification but to see if the brakes worked once ahhahahaha

My ugly bitch

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 7
JY01692.50
bri10425937.00
Limegrntaln13472.00
DO4441408.50
Needsdecaf6599.00
RockinPA4848.00
      05-30-2023, 04:57 PM   #30
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Most of you know I have had a Plaid for a very long time (early adopter in Seot 2021)... why do I still have it, cause its a novelty that cant be denied for the usage I do. I have it for daily driving and street rips and also because... I can.

Dont get me wrong, Im an ICE boy all day but I had to get it and still takes a spot with my other loud, rowdy rides that are slower. Also I guess Im extremely lucky but zero quality issues thus far. I swapped the lame ass wheel and enjoy it for what it is, a super fucking fast golf cart.

The brakes are only shit if one doesnt understand physics and the sheer amount of speed and weight combined. I drive to MY limits and not the car's limits so I know when and if I need to be careful with the sub par brakes (for this much tq and hp along with weight). I am not the guy that will track it and lose it off grid. With that being said, they are still overall subpar because of 4900lb or close curb weight along with the inertia created with such power. Its exponentially faster than any of my other cars and thus needs a more cognizant drive to start braking earlier vs later if one is ripping this car up to 150 which can get there very very fast.

I love the M's for everything the Plaid isnt but its a cool add on car (3rd or 4th or 6th LOLOLOL)

This was a cool vid to watch not for justification but to see if the brakes worked once ahhahahaha

My ugly bitch

Just in time for the CCBs to come out, next month. This is one of the things keeping me from getting one. I would kill myself with the brakes. I tend to outdrive the capability of my G82, and I've gotten lucky a few times, so, I know myself. I would push it, like I was riding a street bike. I'm waiting to see if they offer the CCBs with the build. You should be able to get them in the accessories catalog, early next month. With the brakes, it also includes wheels and tires, to unlock the 200MPH, I heard in testing the car did 211. This also adjusts the computer, and suspension settings to prepare for it.

Also, your wheels are the first ones on this car, that I've seen that I actually like I love the offset.

Available June 2023

Designed for the ultimate track experience, the Model S Plaid Track Package delivers high-speed stability, maximum cornering force and repeatable stopping power during high-performance driving while unlocking a top speed of 200 mph.

The Track Package includes aluminum forged wheels, track-ready tires and brake fluid, new carbon-silicon carbide rotors, and one-piece forged calipers with high-performance pads.

Our rotors feature continuous-fiber technology and are constructed in a unique 3D matrix to add strength and manage heat more effectively. For additional durability, a ceramic friction layer covers the entire rotor surface to reduce brake dust, corrosion and wear while also improving pedal feel for daily driving.

Package Includes:
Carbon Ceramic Brake Kit:

2x 410 x 40mm carbon-silicon carbide front rotors
2x 410 x 32mm carbon-silicon carbide rear rotors
2x 6-piston one-piece, forged front calipers with high-performance brake pads
2x 4-piston one-piece, forged rear calipers with high-performance brake pads
2x integrated, caliper-mounted parking brakes
Track-ready brake fluid
Updated FW tuned for peak performance
Wheel/Tire Components:

2x 20X10J, Zero-G wheels with 285/35R20 Goodyear Supercar 3R tires (front)
2x 20X11J, Zero-G wheels with 305/30R20 Goodyear Supercar 3R tires (rear)
TPMS, Zero-G center caps, tire nut valves and lug nut covers
The Carbon Ceramic Brake Kit can also be purchased as a standalone product through the dropdown menu.

Note:

Compatible with Model S Plaid vehicles produced in 2021+.
Top speed of 200 mph achievable with Carbon Ceramic Brake Kit and proper wheels and tires fitted for those speeds.
Carbon Ceramic Brake Kits are not compatible with 19” Tempest wheels but are compatible with 20” Zero-G and 21” Arachnid wheels (sold separately).
Goodyear Supercar 3R tires are not recommended for winter use. Tesla does not recommend using these ultra high-performance summer tires when temperatures drop to approximately 40℉ (5℃) or below or in snow/ice conditions.
Shipping to your preferred Tesla Service Center and installation are included with purchase. For additional questions about scheduling your Service appointment, visit Shop FAQ.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Vic5519365.00
      05-30-2023, 05:13 PM   #31
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Just in time for the CCBs to come out, next month. This is one of the things keeping me from getting one. I would kill myself with the brakes. I tend to outdrive the capability of my G82, and I've gotten lucky a few times, so, I know myself. I would push it, like I was riding a street bike. I'm waiting to see if they offer the CCBs with the build. You should be able to get them in the accessories catalog, early next month. With the brakes, it also includes wheels and tires, to unlock the 200MPH, I heard in testing the car did 211. This also adjusts the computer, and suspension settings to prepare for it.

Also, your wheels are the first ones on this car, that I've seen that I actually like I love the offset.

Available June 2023

Designed for the ultimate track experience, the Model S Plaid Track Package delivers high-speed stability, maximum cornering force and repeatable stopping power during high-performance driving while unlocking a top speed of 200 mph.

The Track Package includes aluminum forged wheels, track-ready tires and brake fluid, new carbon-silicon carbide rotors, and one-piece forged calipers with high-performance pads.

Our rotors feature continuous-fiber technology and are constructed in a unique 3D matrix to add strength and manage heat more effectively. For additional durability, a ceramic friction layer covers the entire rotor surface to reduce brake dust, corrosion and wear while also improving pedal feel for daily driving.

Package Includes:
Carbon Ceramic Brake Kit:

2x 410 x 40mm carbon-silicon carbide front rotors
2x 410 x 32mm carbon-silicon carbide rear rotors
2x 6-piston one-piece, forged front calipers with high-performance brake pads
2x 4-piston one-piece, forged rear calipers with high-performance brake pads
2x integrated, caliper-mounted parking brakes
Track-ready brake fluid
Updated FW tuned for peak performance
Wheel/Tire Components:

2x 20X10J, Zero-G wheels with 285/35R20 Goodyear Supercar 3R tires (front)
2x 20X11J, Zero-G wheels with 305/30R20 Goodyear Supercar 3R tires (rear)
TPMS, Zero-G center caps, tire nut valves and lug nut covers
The Carbon Ceramic Brake Kit can also be purchased as a standalone product through the dropdown menu.

Note:

Compatible with Model S Plaid vehicles produced in 2021+.
Top speed of 200 mph achievable with Carbon Ceramic Brake Kit and proper wheels and tires fitted for those speeds.
Carbon Ceramic Brake Kits are not compatible with 19” Tempest wheels but are compatible with 20” Zero-G and 21” Arachnid wheels (sold separately).
Goodyear Supercar 3R tires are not recommended for winter use. Tesla does not recommend using these ultra high-performance summer tires when temperatures drop to approximately 40℉ (5℃) or below or in snow/ice conditions.
Shipping to your preferred Tesla Service Center and installation are included with purchase. For additional questions about scheduling your Service appointment, visit Shop FAQ.
Yep the Euro cars have the track pack or at least some have been testing it. Ive seen a few YT vids on some track out there.

Yeah I couldnt live with the OEM wheels even with spacers so I changed that up... and used links to drop it a little more than the lowest setting:

Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13472.00
      05-30-2023, 05:17 PM   #32
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I've seen one of those videos. I think the racecar driver that was in the AutoTOPNL video. There was one with AutoGeful, he spun out in one.

But, yours is the way to go. That looks perfect. Does it still do Cheetah, like that?

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 05:19 PM   #33
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I've seen one of those videos. I think the racecar driver that was in the AutoTOPNL video. There was one with AutoGeful, he spun out in one.

But, yours is the way to go. That looks perfect. Does it still do Cheetah, like that?
It sure does as the Cheetah goes even lower so the amount of front axle lowering is just reduced.

I think the CCBS are 15k solo and thats probably what I would do since I have the wheels already but need to make sure they clear my setup.

The 20k includes install which is nice though.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13472.00
      05-30-2023, 05:37 PM   #34
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It sure does as the Cheetah goes even lower so the amount of front axle lowering is just reduced.

I think the CCBS are 15k solo and thats probably what I would do since I have the wheels already but need to make sure they clear my setup.

The 20k includes install which is nice though.
I wasn't sure if it was just the brakes, or the wheels, tires and brakes, that you had to get to unlock the 200mph?

I would go as wide as I could on the front tires. Even with the Arachnid setup, the tires are too skinny for the weight of this car. The front end plows pretty bad, on the skinny setup. So, the tires and the brakes are extremely inadequate.

Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      05-30-2023, 05:57 PM   #35
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I wasn't sure if it was just the brakes, or the wheels, tires and brakes, that you had to get to unlock the 200mph?

I would go as wide as I could on the front tires. Even with the Arachnid setup, the tires are too skinny for the weight of this car. The front end plows pretty bad, on the skinny setup. So, the tires and the brakes are extremely inadequate.
What year car did you drive and what tires were on it? The order guide today on 21 inch Non Plaid only gives you AS tires which are shit boxes.

nevermind, you said 670 hp which is a 21 or newer --- was it on 21 inch wheels>>

Last edited by Vic55; 05-30-2023 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13472.00
      05-30-2023, 09:17 PM   #36
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What year car did you drive and what tires were on it? The order guide today on 21 inch Non Plaid only gives you AS tires which are shit boxes.

nevermind, you said 670 hp which is a 21 or newer —- was it on 21 inch wheels>>
Yes, I’m only referring to a refreshed model. This was a demo at a Tesla store.

Appreciate 1
Vic5519365.00
      05-30-2023, 09:20 PM   #37
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I’m only referring to a refreshed model. This was a demo at a Tesla store.
Oh I see, yeah that car could have had a lesser set of tires and further the Plaid gets a better firmware on the dampers. Its still fat porker but there are times where I really appreciate the air suspension over traditional dampers/springs.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13472.00
DO4441408.50
      05-31-2023, 10:08 AM   #38
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmuByrN_5qI&t=405s

My ugly [...]

An honest take.
I like that.
Appreciate 1
Vic5519365.00
      06-02-2023, 10:28 PM   #39
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Quote:
Oh I see, yeah that car could have had a lesser set of tires and further the Plaid gets a better firmware on the dampers. Its still fat porker but there are times where I really appreciate the air suspension over traditional dampers/springs.
Vic,

What is your wheel tire setup on the Plaid?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 09:20 AM   #40
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_BMW View Post
Vic,

What is your wheel tire setup on the Plaid?
Im using the OEM PS4S tires which are

265x35x21
295x30x21

wheels are the same as OEM

21x9.5
21x10.5

I think lol

I just pulled the offset down with aftermarket rims to create a more aggressive stance:

Last edited by Vic55; 06-03-2023 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 2
DS_BMW1603.00
Limegrntaln13472.00
      06-03-2023, 10:06 PM   #41
Jackie Chiles
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Model S Plaid with Track Pack does 7:25 on the Nordschliefe:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtCu4k-S...RlODBiNWFlZA==

That’s 3 seconds faster than a G82 M4.

I’ll stick with my M4.

I don’t miss my Tesla Model 3 Performance, even tho it was fun with all the instant torque.
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      06-07-2023, 01:50 AM   #42
GT_Juls
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 M4

I mean I work at Tesla and drive a G82…. 😂
M4ord787.00
      06-07-2023, 03:19 PM   #43
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gseries92 View Post
I mean I work at Tesla and drive a G82…. 😂
I really admire your boss.
His honesty in the face of his own personal finances is inspiring.

And I assume you’re pretty awesome too.
Tesla on the whole is a hugely inspriring company to me.

It’d be really nice if the Tesla and BMW fans got together and appreciated each other’s work / stuff.
Appreciate 1
GT_Juls251.50
      06-07-2023, 03:56 PM   #44
GT_Juls
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO444 View Post
I really admire your boss.
His honesty in the face of his own personal finances is inspiring.

And I assume you’re pretty awesome too.
Tesla on the whole is a hugely inspriring company to me.

It’d be really nice if the Tesla and BMW fans got together and appreciated each other’s work / stuff.

Thank you! Elon definitely speaks his mind and doesnt care which is pretty impressive.

Hands down the Teslas are by far the best daily driver to get in and out for errands and just doing short distances. Long distance is still good but if you are in and out and dont need to drive the racecar, I would buy a Model Y or the upcoming Cybertruck for utility purposes. Really cant beat the convenience especially if you have home charging.

I love BMWs because out of the three germans, they have the sportiest and most engaging cars in my opinion. Doesnt help I absolutely LOVE //M cars with manuals haha.