BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

08-22-2023, 08:09 PM   #1
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
So after a few weeks my Frozen Black G81 Touring is ready to go. It’s been Xpel stealth wrapped/ceramic coated over all frozen surfaces with clear Xpel over gloss surfaces like the roof and sideskirts. IMO not stealth wrapping the roof allows the mirror finish to contrast beautifully with the frozen bodywork (see pics).

The only catch is I’m now in Dc for 3 months and my car is idling a perfectly good southern hemisphere spring in the garage 🫤

I’m coming out of my F87 CS which had about 16,000 miles on. Previously I had a F80 emahich I put about 40k miles on over about 6 years.

Compared to the M2 CS:
- much more delivery into, through and out of corners
- very planted and doesn’t feel as playful as the CS (not always a good thing)
- ZF8 is better than I expected and auto mode surpasses the CS DCT I had. The CS’s paddle shifts were definitely snappier which I miss
- street presence of the G81 matches the CS. I’ve gotten so many thumbs ups and photos taken it seems to almost grab more attention than the CS which itself has a lot of street appeal.
- rear profile of the G1 is just brilliant. The car really doesn’t have a bad angle and I actually like the front now (it could be the colour combo?)
- tech in the G81 is from another planet. I personally love the wrap screen and the ultra wide nav map (native or CarPlay) is brilliant
- the HK sound system is much better than the one I had in the F80 or F87 CS.
- no regrets on selling the CS though in the future if we ever find space for a third car I may buy back into a manual F87 CS.
- I’ve just had a 992 T manual allocation confirmed after a very long wait and this car will switch to my wife next year as we give up the macan GTS. She can’t wait to get her hands on it, though she does love the macan.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
forcefed2565.50
Vic5519365.00
bri10425940.00
      08-23-2023, 09:12 AM   #2
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

How’s the handling compared to the Macan in your opinion? Personally, I drove a GTS and a Comp X and concluded the GTS was more sorted.
      08-23-2023, 02:12 PM   #3
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM3 View Post
How’s the handling compared to the Macan in your opinion? Personally, I drove a GTS and a Comp X and concluded the GTS was more sorted.
I find the G81 has the advantage of being lower to the ground and just feels lighter. The macan GTS steering wheel is better I feel and the exhaust note is great. The G81 is streets ahead in performance. In about a year we’ll be keeping one and turning over the other for a 911 T that’s now been allocated. My wife loves the macan GTS which she drives (when she can grab it off me) though my sense is that we’ll keep the touring. It’s such a good all-rounder in that it doesn’t feel like a compromised performance car. I think the age of performance wagons is upon us and sporty SUV’s are going to lose some sales.
Appreciate 1
WWM3968.00
      08-24-2023, 09:55 AM   #4
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

The Touring is WAY better than the Macan. Never driven a GTS, but driven base, S and Turbo.

I've never gelled with the Macan in the way I wanted to. The first gen Q5 based architecture means it's extremely nose heavy and the PDK isn't as impressive as I'd like. Doesn't seem as well matched to the car. Strangely the Macan I've liked the most has been the base, as it feels like a giant Golf GTi....which it pretty much is.

Suspect if your wife spends more time with the G81 she'll grow to love the dynamics more unless she's like my wife and addicted to the high seating position. Personally having lived with sports cars forever, I am used to biting everyone's ankles and the lack of visibility doesn't mean much. Here in the Repbulic of Tejas, everyone drives giant bro-dozers, Suburbans and Escalades anyway so even in something like a cayenne I'm not seeing past traffic any further.

Plus the Macan has ancient infotainment as well. And the rear isn't particularly roomy for an SUV.

Yeah, the 992 T will be a gem and a hugely entertaining foil to your G81. Will be a great stable!
Appreciate 0