home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

06-11-2023, 09:54 AM   #1
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 xDrive

Springs only or HAS kit (regarding comfort)

I need to decide which solution to use to lower my car. It doesn't have to be much, I don't need anything extreme and certainly not a slammed look. But I just want to reduce the gap a bit (especially in the front, since the rear is pretty okay on the M3). In doing so, I'm thinking of doing it with either a spring only solution or a HAS kit.

Sure, HAS kit has the advantage of being adjustable. However, as I said, I do not need much, insofar a moderate lowering with already proven springs would be okay. It's important to me that the loss of comfort is as small as possible (of course, comfort will suffer somewhat with both solutions). I've talked with two different shops and their statements were different. One said that the loss of comfort will be more pronounced with the HAS kit because more parts are involved than with springs only. The other said it will be about the same, so it doesn't matter on that aspect. What are your experiences/opinions? Are there any other aspects to consider that are better/worse with one solution or the other?

For the springs, I would probably go with Dähler (Swiss supplier), which are manufactured by Eibach (lowering about 26mm front and 11mm rear). For the HAS kit I would go with KW (I would probably do about 20mm in the front and about 10mm in the rear).
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 10:17 AM   #2
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

I’m doing eibach front only. Supposedly no impact on ride quality. Just cleans up the front gap and evens it out with the rear.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 10:29 AM   #3
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21'-x3m40i 23'-m4c 24'-x3mc

I've got fr/rr Eibachs on order for my G4/xdrive. Dropping 20mm all the way around is plenty for me.

Watched a ton of films (I live in upstate SC and cannot find a shop that has done this). Planning on doing myself and just springs are easier.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 10:50 AM   #4
Boogie2121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art__Vandelay View Post
I need to decide which solution to use to lower my car. It doesn't have to be much, I don't need anything extreme and certainly not a slammed look. But I just want to reduce the gap a bit (especially in the front, since the rear is pretty okay on the M3). In doing so, I'm thinking of doing it with either a spring only solution or a HAS kit.

Sure, HAS kit has the advantage of being adjustable. However, as I said, I do not need much, insofar a moderate lowering with already proven springs would be okay. It's important to me that the loss of comfort is as small as possible (of course, comfort will suffer somewhat with both solutions). I've talked with two different shops and their statements were different. One said that the loss of comfort will be more pronounced with the HAS kit because more parts are involved than with springs only. The other said it will be about the same, so it doesn't matter on that aspect. What are your experiences/opinions? Are there any other aspects to consider that are better/worse with one solution or the other?

For the springs, I would probably go with Dähler (Swiss supplier), which are manufactured by Eibach (lowering about 26mm front and 11mm rear). For the HAS kit I would go with KW (I would probably do about 20mm in the front and about 10mm in the rear).
If you aren’t adjusting than HAS doesn’t have advantage over regular springs. Driving quality will be similar across the setups, the lower the drop then you’ll have more change in driving feeling. Look at H&R sport or eibach as an option for you. I think H&R sport is probably the strongest option for M3 without being a crazy agressive drop.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 11:42 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I'd go with HAS; more often than not, your personal preference is not 100% what the springs are set at.

So for complete control over comfort and look, HAS is the better option.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 12:06 PM   #6
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I'd go with HAS; more often than not, your personal preference is not 100% what the springs are set at.

So for complete control over comfort and look, HAS is the better option.
You're probably right in general because not everyone knows what his personal preference will be. Like I've said, I really don't need a big drop, so looking at some pics I can imagine how it will look like with certain springs. I had a HAS kit on my F80 and never adujsted anything after the install. So not sure if I really need HAS.

But quite apart from that, how do you see the argument that the loss of comfort tends to be less with springs than with HAS because there are fewer parts involved (always depends on the exact product of course, but I mean in general)?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 12:12 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art__Vandelay View Post
But quite apart from that, how do you see the argument that the loss of comfort tends to be less with springs than with HAS because there are fewer parts involved (always depends on the exact product of course, but I mean in general)?

If you feel that the drop provided by regular springs aligns with your preference, then it makes financial sense to go for them. If not, you'd have to invest in a new HAS kit, adding to the installation costs.

As for the other aspects mentioned, It's likely similar for both options and shouldn't be a significant factor in your decision.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 12:15 PM   #8
emthreepa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

If you don't go with HAS, I would just recommend seeing a car in person with the springs and drop you are getting. The pictures they take are at specific angles and I personally don't like the car isn't level with the front only or a pre-set mm all the way around. I have heard people comment that the level look makes it look like it's squatting though. The ride height is so subjective. I am glad I went with HAS personally and I have had it adjusted a few times now for spring/summer vs. winter and also just wanting a different look.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 07:13 AM   #9
Chad11491
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 IOMG M3 6MT

I'm 100% happy with the Eibach front springs on my M3. It is an even 1.5 finger gap all the way around the car and rides and drives just like stock. No impact at all on comfort, and it's been 6-ish months now with 0 noises or creaks.

this is from the day they were installed, and I tried to take a pic from the side at ground level to show the real drop, not from above to exaggerate it.

Appreciate 3
par__m3452.50
aminio24102.00
      06-12-2023, 08:49 AM   #10
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep

As much as I know the front only Eibach springs are not allowed for xDrive cars (at least here in Switzerland).

But I know Eibach offers a Pro Kit with front (20mm lower) and rear (10mm lower) springs too, although not sure how good they are as I couldn't find a lot of informations yet. The lowering figures sound good at least, as I don't really want much more than that.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 09:27 AM   #11
MMM.PWR
Sith Lord
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80X, Mazda 3 6MT (daily)

Garage List
Few comments as someone who has had Eibach front 20mm springs on for about a year.

- They work fine with xdrive.
- You WILL have a rake. The springs settle and the front is lower than the rear for sure.
- It still looks better than stock.