home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

04-02-2021, 04:19 PM   #1
rajahfl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 GC

I'm starting to like the G80 M3, but could I love it?

First off, I'm a BMW loyalist. I've owned 2-E92's, an F30, and currently very happy with my F80. The M3 is my Goldilocks-BMW, it's juuuust right for me.

So, the first time I saw the pictures of the G80 M3, I was naturally horrified. All the usual jokes sprang to mind.

Then I saw the new M3/4 in real life and I have to say my opinion changed. You can't help but smile when you see an M3/4 on a showroom floor, looking all dazzling and powerful, which made me think all sorts of Im-gonna-drive-like-an-M3-asshole thoughts.

Here are my thoughts about the design elements (see pictures below) ...

1) Grill
The nose looks better (great?) in real life. Most articles look like they are showing bumper-level photos of the nose and in those cases it does look bigger and more offensive. However, in real life when you see it from the POV of standing above it, it looks really good. Also, imagine what the other cars will see when we roll up on them? At first, I was thinking I'd get black to hide them, but now I'm thinking the Dravit Gray would look awesome.

2) Hood
I'm not a fan of the muscle car hood. A traditional M3/CS power dome hood would be way better and can be easily fixed with a new hood, possibly even an excuse to get a CF hood.

3) Body lines
I have to accept that the G80 body lines are all over the place (last two pictures)
  • The F80 has a strong transverse line along its body, starting at the side vent and running close to the top of the side panels all the way to the back. I once read that previous BMW designers drew the body lines of their cars in such a way as to give even stationary vehicles the appearance of moving fast.
  • The G80 has no continuous line. It has a line starting at the the side vent and then extending along the bottom, disappearing in the middle and the reappearing at the top above the rear quarter panel.

4) The Hofmesiter Kink
  • I can live with this. Its so minor and you won't notice it unless someone points it out (me). However, if you consider yourself one of the BMW-faithful then you should know about it. I'm not sure why BMW decided to change it for the 2, 3, 4, and 8 series, but left it the same for the 5 and 7 series.

5) Headlights
  • The F80 lights look mean. I'm angry and I want you to GTFO of my way!
  • The G80 lights look kinda mean. What do they look like? They don't look F80 mean. Yea cool they have the blue accents, but do they look mean? Maybe they'll look meaner in time. I want the car to look like it's always saying "GTFO of my way!!"

6) Rear side skirt (last two pictures)
  • That black lower, rear side skirt just changes the shape of the G80. It goes from looking like it's tucked in as on the F80 to as if its wearing a skirt and trying desperately to look wider than it is.

A bunch of people are gonna respond and wonder/ask why these things matter to me. Well I'm gonna drive and have to look at one of these things for at least the next 3 years, maybe longer if they don't fix these things. I love my F80 and its as close to a perfect BMW as I have owned thus far. I am curious what AWD and a smoother transmission would be like in the long-term and so as I started reading about the car, and then the hood, it got me thinking about the other design elements as well.

Thanks for reading. Try to keep your comments civil, I'm not hating on the car. I'm probably gonna get an AWD, Dravit Gray G80 loaded to the gills
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1514.50
      04-02-2021, 04:27 PM   #2
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

It's the drive that'll push you over the edge. It's such a good M car.

Grilles, I think many will get used to it. It's pretty much my favorite part of the car. I enjoy the boldness and audaciousness of it. Boring, it is not.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
mirob3155.50
lch6257111.00
      04-02-2021, 04:48 PM   #3
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

I agree with the hood, would have preferred the power dome. As far as headlight's, my eyes contradict yours. I say put on your prescription glasses and re-evaluate the headlights again. Body lines and kink agreed. If you don't like the side skirts just get a color where it blends in like black, same for the grills.
      04-02-2021, 07:56 PM   #4
lch6257
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E93 M3-DCT,'21 G80 M3-6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
It's the drive that'll push you over the edge. It's such a good M car.

Grilles, I think many will get used to it. It's pretty much my favorite part of the car. I enjoy the boldness and audaciousness of it. Boring, it is not.
I see you sir also have excellent taste in automobiles!

Got my Alpine White Ceramic Pro coated and tinted this week. Cannot wait to get her back home tomorrow!! And you are correct it's the drive of this incredible machine that makes the G80 sooooo tasty!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
02M3ForMe4267.50
wtwo318044.50
EXE462101.50
khanyam4803.00
      04-02-2021, 08:06 PM   #5
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

Also note the headlights will look meaner if you get the individual shadowline lights

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 08:12 PM   #6
CanuckM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

Thanks for your input, it is nice to see more F8x drivers warm up to it.

No uncivil comments here if anything; it's the ones who dislike it that continuously insist on reminding everyone else.

The F80 does have a cleaner overall design but the new car also has a lot going for it.

Those who seem to have been on the edge about it seem to have been convinced by the driving experience.
sold
Appreciate 3
rajahfl38.50
EXE462101.50
heavyD^23688.50
      04-02-2021, 10:31 PM   #7
filostrato
Private
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

As a brand new BMW owner just coming over to the brand I have to say I'm pretty excited about the G80. I definitely agree with many that the F8x has a more harmonious design, but the new aggressive and distinctive look really sets this generation apart from everything else on the road.

Driving mountain roads in the M3 isn't the same as my old Cayman S, but it does spirited driving and daily cruising both so well! There are a ton of haters out there right now, but for someone looking for a new vehicle in this segment I don't think there's anything that comes close to the G8x in combining looks, dynamics and performance
Appreciate 3
rajahfl38.50
Scorp!on1514.50
EXE462101.50
      04-05-2021, 09:48 PM   #8
khanyam4
Ring Leader of G8X Trolls
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: NA

I personally wouldn't settle, stick with your F80 since it's near perfection for you and because you love it. By doing so you're going to be saving a good amount of money also.
      04-06-2021, 04:04 PM   #9
Bahamut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajahfl View Post
First off, I'm a BMW loyalist. I've owned 2-E92's, an F30, and currently very happy with my F80. The M3 is my Goldilocks-BMW, it's juuuust right for me.

So, the first time I saw the pictures of the G80 M3, I was naturally horrified. All the usual jokes sprang to mind.

Then I saw the new M3/4 in real life and I have to say my opinion changed. You can't help but smile when you see an M3/4 on a showroom floor, looking all dazzling and powerful, which made me think all sorts of Im-gonna-drive-like-an-M3-asshole thoughts.

1) Grill
The nose looks better (great?) in real life. Most articles look like they are showing bumper-level photos of the nose and in those cases it does look bigger and more offensive. However, in real life when you see it from the POV of standing above it, it looks really good. Also, imagine what the other cars will see when we roll up on them? At first, I was thinking I'd get black to hide them, but now I'm thinking the Dravit Gray would look awesome.

2) Hood
I'm not a fan of the muscle car hood. A traditional M3/CS power dome hood would be way better and can be easily fixed with a new hood, possibly even an excuse to get a CF hood.

3) Body lines
I have to accept that the G80 body lines are all over the place (last two pictures)
  • The F80 has a strong transverse line along its body, starting at the side vent and running close to the top of the side panels all the way to the back. I once read that previous BMW designers drew the body lines of their cars in such a way as to give even stationary vehicles the appearance of moving fast.
  • The G80 has no continuous line. It has a line starting at the the side vent and then extending along the bottom, disappearing in the middle and the reappearing at the top above the rear quarter panel.

4) The Hofmesiter Kink
  • I can live with this. Its so minor and you won't notice it unless someone points it out (me). However, if you consider yourself one of the BMW-faithful then you should know about it. I'm not sure why BMW decided to change it for the 2, 3, 4, and 8 series, but left it the same for the 5 and 7 series.

5) Headlights
  • The G80 lights look kinda mean. What do they look like? They don't look F80 mean. Yea cool they have the blue accents, but do they look mean? Maybe they'll look meaner in time. I want the car to look like it's always saying "GTFO of my way!!"

• That black lower, rear side skirt just changes the shape of the G80. It goes from looking like it's tucked in as on the F80 to as if its wearing a skirt and trying desperately to look wider than it is.

A bunch of people are gonna respond and wonder/ask why these things matter to me. Well I'm gonna drive and have to look at one of these things for at least the next 3 years, maybe longer if they don't fix these things. I love my F80 and its as close to a perfect BMW as I have owned thus far. I am curious what AWD and a smoother transmission would be like in the long-term and so as I started reading about the car, and then the hood, it got me thinking about the other design elements as well.

Thanks for reading. Try to keep your comments civil, I'm not hating on the car. I'm probably gonna get an AWD, Dravit Gray G80 loaded to the gills
Always great to meet a fellow Dravit Grey owner/potential owner!
Appreciate 1
rajahfl38.50
      04-06-2021, 06:48 PM   #10
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Yes.
      04-06-2021, 10:28 PM   #11
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Those grays look great on the G8X!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 11:56 AM   #12
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
1. you’ll spend the majority of your time inside of the car than out.
2. you’ll spend the majority of your time driving the car than looking at it.

personally, this car is a mixed bag in terms of looks... mediocre to horrible when stationary, to acceptable to decent when in motion. that being said, i dont care. i’ll make my own judgement AFTER DRIVING the car itself, not by conducting a design study of a car who’s designer has been smoking what must be some really good crack.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 1
rajahfl38.50
      04-07-2021, 04:09 PM   #13
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajahfl View Post

1) Grill

2) Hood

3) Body lines

4) The Hofmesiter Kink

5) Headlights

I doubt this will swing you one way or the other but there is a continuous line that starts all the way back at the taillight and travels just over the door handles and curves down into the front wheel arch. I think its super clever and it gives the whole body this look that the car is racing forward. I love the side profile of the g80 and to my eye it looks better than the f80 from the side but I may have terrible taste who knows
Appreciate 1
rajahfl38.50
      04-07-2021, 04:22 PM   #14
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
1. you’ll spend the majority of your time inside of the car than out.
2. you’ll spend the majority of your time driving the car than looking at it.

personally, this car is a mixed bag in terms of looks... mediocre to horrible when stationary, to acceptable to decent when in motion. that being said, i dont care. i’ll make my own judgement AFTER DRIVING the car itself, not by conducting a design study of a car who’s designer has been smoking what must be some really good crack.
I dont really understand the notion that the design is all over the place although I can certainly see it not matching people's individual taste. The side profile lines give you the illusion that the front is pretty narrow after the front fender flare and as you trace them backwards the door panel is flaring outwards with the rear fender and that line I explained above makes the whole car look like it is tilted forwards which I really like. The front and rear profiles of the car are also designed around the fender flares...it looks like the flares are so pronounced that the car is bursting at the seams which im definitely into. Everyone seems to look back at the f8x power dome favorably which is much less integrated into the design than the g8x hood...I always found that interesting. To me nothing is more wannabe American muscle car-y than that non functional f8x power dome hood and the g80 looks like they took the power dome concept and integrated it into the rest of the design a little better.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25199.50
rajahfl38.50
khanyam4803.00
      04-08-2021, 10:10 AM   #15
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap27 View Post
I dont really understand the notion that the design is all over the place although I can certainly see it not matching people's individual taste. The side profile lines give you the illusion that the front is pretty narrow after the front fender flare and as you trace them backwards the door panel is flaring outwards with the rear fender and that line I explained above makes the whole car look like it is tilted forwards which I really like. The front and rear profiles of the car are also designed around the fender flares...it looks like the flares are so pronounced that the car is bursting at the seams which im definitely into. Everyone seems to look back at the f8x power dome favorably which is much less integrated into the design than the g8x hood...I always found that interesting. To me nothing is more wannabe American muscle car-y than that non functional f8x power dome hood and the g80 looks like they took the power dome concept and integrated it into the rest of the design a little better.
to each their own. i still dont see any cohesion or purpose when it comes to certain design elements, especially the side profile lines. they are all over the place. that’s why the look of it appeals to me sometimes, while other times they dont. and you want to talk about non-functional when the G80 has two non-functional “scoops/indents/whatever the fuck they are dimples” just above of the grills? and dont get me started on the prolapsed rear bumper/diffuser bit where it looks like it got wrecked harder than piper perri’s anus after being run over by a train of five black guys. *insert meme picture here*

like i said, despite that car looking like it was born with an extra chromosome, i do like the look of it sometimes, especially when in motion. but for me personally, the design/look of the car is not a priority. if it drives as well as the reviews suggest, I will definitely getting one in the future. admittedly, i am waiting to see what the xDrive version offers. if i’m patient enough, maybe we’ll see what iDrive 8 (in the upcoming LCI) can do for the infotainment as well.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 2
Scorp!on1514.50
rajahfl38.50
      04-08-2021, 10:26 AM   #16
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

Quote:
to each their own. i still dont see any cohesion or purpose when it comes to certain design elements, especially the side profile lines. they are all over the place. that’s why the look of it appeals to me sometimes, while other times they dont. and you want to talk about non-functional when the G80 has two non-functional “scoops/indents/whatever the fuck they are dimples” just above of the grills? and dont get me started on the prolapsed rear bumper/diffuser bit where it looks like it got wrecked harder than piper perri’s anus after being run over by a train of five black guys. *insert meme picture here*

like i said, despite that car looking like it was born with an extra chromosome, i do like the look of it sometimes, especially when in motion. but for me personally, the design/look of the car is not a priority. if it drives as well as the reviews suggest, I will definitely getting one in the future. admittedly, i am waiting to see what the xDrive version offers. if i’m patient enough, maybe we’ll see what iDrive 8 (in the upcoming LCI) can do for the infotainment as well.
Altough I like the look of the new car your description made me laugh

thanks for that !
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 04:44 AM   #17
rajahfl
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
1. you'll spend the majority of your time inside of the car than out.
2. you'll spend the majority of your time driving the car than looking at it.

personally, this car is a mixed bag in terms of looks... mediocre to horrible when stationary, to acceptable to decent when in motion. that being said, i dont care. i'll make my own judgement AFTER DRIVING the car itself, not by conducting a design study of a car who's designer has been smoking what must be some really good crack.
While I personally disagree about the appeal of the F8X power dome being likened to a wannabe-American-muscle design, I did have an idea of why the new G80 doesn't have one.

The front fascia of almost all F series BMWs are relatively similar, except for the F8X's power dome. An informed observer seeing the power dome would know this F-series means business.

Similarly the G series BMWs were all similar until we all saw the G80 M3 come along with it's ... ahem, "new front fascia design" So maybe the new grill design is intended to cue the informed observer that this particular G-series also means business.

Then I realized this whole rationale goes out the window because the regular 4 series also have the big grilles just like the M3 and M4. :
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 04:47 AM   #18
rajahfl
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
to each their own. i still dont see any cohesion or purpose when it comes to certain design elements, especially the side profile lines. they are all over the place. that's why the look of it appeals to me sometimes, while other times they dont. and you want to talk about non-functional when the G80 has two non-functional "scoops/indents/whatever the fuck they are dimples" just above of the grills? and dont get me started on the prolapsed rear bumper/diffuser bit where it looks like it got wrecked harder than piper perri's anus after being run over by a train of five black guys. *insert meme picture here*

like i said, despite that car looking like it was born with an extra chromosome, i do like the look of it sometimes, especially when in motion. but for me personally, the design/look of the car is not a priority. if it drives as well as the reviews suggest, I will definitely getting one in the future. admittedly, i am waiting to see what the xDrive version offers. if i'm patient enough, maybe we'll see what iDrive 8 (in the upcoming LCI) can do for the infotainment as well.
Be free, let it out ... tell us how you really feel Just 5 guys? c'mon, let's throw in a human centipede reference
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 12:43 PM   #19
rajahfl
Private
United_States
Rep

How my opinion of the G80 looks evolved

How my opinion of the G80's looks has evolved since I first saw it to today... -> -> -> -> -> today it is...

I saw these pictures again last night (below) and started thinking "I'm gonna drive it like the biggest BMW M3 asshole"

We should remember that we are all very fortunate that this is what we have to complain about, first-world problems
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25199.50