BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

10-26-2022, 06:02 PM   #23
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

PAS4s are awesome - I run a set as my daily tire, done plenty of spirited runs on them, and even use them as my cold/wet day track tires. Way more grip and feel than they have any right to have as an all season.
Aalfred2619.00
      10-26-2022, 07:10 PM   #24
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Could always reroute to trucker routes and avoid the mountains. Certain routes are priority for cleaning unless it's a perfect storm. Also snow socks or composite chains could work for a short trip (michelin easy grip snow chains or something similar)

How much is it to ship after the fact?

Tirerack is pretty fast with shipment as you could always ask around for an installer that will hold the tires for you. They allow you to ship wherever and have certified installers so could call and be like..i will pay X over if you hold the tires for my arrival and do the install.
Some say, an open truck transport is about 2K and enclosed trailer is about 3K. The dealer I ordered is from Knoxville. I had asked about getting the Michelins through the dealership and he said he can look into it. Since its the all seasons, i think I might have better luck with them than the PA5. My last plan was to use tire rack. There were a couple of installers near PCD but none had good reviews. Also didnt feel comfortable leaving $1200 worth of tires for 2 months without knowing them. But if thats my only option, might have to take the chance. Im gonna start looking into it once my car arrives at Brunswick and that should give me a 5-6 wk cushion to narrow down my options. Also doing PPF +ceramic at extreme spas. So i guess im staying near PCD for atleast 5 days. Lol
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2022, 07:17 PM   #25
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalfred View Post
Some say, an open truck transport is about 2K and enclosed trailer is about 3K. The dealer I ordered is from Knoxville. I had asked about getting the Michelins through the dealership and he said he can look into it. Since its the all seasons, i think I might have better luck with them than the PA5. My last plan was to use tire rack. There were a couple of installers near PCD but none had good reviews. Also didnt feel comfortable leaving $1200 worth of tires for 2 months without knowing them. But if thats my only option, might have to take the chance. Im gonna start looking into it once my car arrives at Brunswick and that should give me a 5-6 wk cushion to narrow down my options. Also doing PPF +ceramic at extreme spas. So i guess im staying near PCD for atleast 5 days. Lol
Never know extreme spa may know someone

Could always just get them now then ship them via FedEx or UPS...

I wouldn't pay 2 or 3k on top of the 1k you already paid. Again the weather could be nill and just avoid the hills in your route selection and if needed take a few days around the weather if needed.

Keep us posted and let me know what the damage is ar the Spa. I plan on using them if they do quality work and the price is comparable to the options in this area.

Also never know..prehaps the PCD knows or could assist haha
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2619.00
      10-26-2022, 09:42 PM   #26
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Never know extreme spa may know someone

Could always just get them now then ship them via FedEx or UPS...

I wouldn't pay 2 or 3k on top of the 1k you already paid. Again the weather could be nill and just avoid the hills in your route selection and if needed take a few days around the weather if needed.

Keep us posted and let me know what the damage is ar the Spa. I plan on using them if they do quality work and the price is comparable to the options in this area.

Also never know..prehaps the PCD knows or could assist haha
Thanks. Since im doing full front PPF+Ceramic+A pillars + Rockers, they said 3 days. The rates were pretty competitive with the ones Ive asked locally. They guys were also very nice and upfront about it. Came to about $4200. ($2300 for PPF, $1300 for ceramic and $800 for Rocker/Apillars and they give u a 10% discount for CCA membership or $250 discount for the combination). I'll keep you posted about their work.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2022, 03:26 AM   #27
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks. Since im doing full front PPF+Ceramic+A pillars + Rockers, they said 3 days. The rates were pretty competitive with the ones Ive asked locally. They guys were also very nice and upfront about it. Came to about $4200. ($2300 for PPF, $1300 for ceramic and $800 for Rocker/Apillars and they give u a 10% discount for CCA membership or $250 discount for the combination). I'll keep you posted about their work.
What film and coating? Does that include wheels off?
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2022, 07:41 AM   #28
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What film and coating? Does that include wheels off?
Both Xpel. There os a wheel pull option with ceramic for $250. Didnt feel like its worth it so opted out. Wanted to do some tinting but the state max is 50% front but they only carry 80% and 35%. So opted out of that too
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2022, 08:21 AM   #29
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Both Xpel. There os a wheel pull option with ceramic for $250. Didnt feel like its worth it so opted out. Wanted to do some tinting but the state max is 50% front but they only carry 80% and 35%. So opted out of that too
It's worth it for the rims for cleaning especially if you have stock brakes if not they only do the facings.

Yeah, that tint is a no go haha.
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2619.00
      10-27-2022, 08:23 AM   #30
toolband66
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 G80

Garage List
I have DWS06Plus and will use them year round. So far only about 100 miles on them. Still warm out.
Attached Images

10-27-2022, 04:39 PM   #31
F80SRT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 xM3C/'20 X3MComp

I just ordered a set of PS4AS . I blew through my PS4S rears in 8000 miles, and it's now officially winter in CO.

I won't drive the car if there is significant snow, basically these will only see snow if I get 'caught' somewhere and it starts snowing and I just need to get home. So, they'll see cold weather here during the winter months and I feel the timing was right to give them a try.

I'm anxious to see how these do over the next 6 months. I'm undecided if I'll actually run these year round, and may swap back (get new) PS4S for the summer. Looking forward to giving my review/feedback in a few months.
      10-27-2022, 05:32 PM   #32
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80SRT View Post
I just ordered a set of PS4AS . I blew through my PS4S rears in 8000 miles, and it's now officially winter in CO.

I won't drive the car if there is significant snow, basically these will only see snow if I get 'caught' somewhere and it starts snowing and I just need to get home. So, they'll see cold weather here during the winter months and I feel the timing was right to give them a try.

I'm anxious to see how these do over the next 6 months. I'm undecided if I'll actually run these year round, and may swap back (get new) PS4S for the summer. Looking forward to giving my review/feedback in a few months.
These are pretty capable tires you should be fine for 80% of conditions...

Watch the video.... https://youtu.be/OjhAURyz_s4

https://youtu.be/aMv64liOqIE PS4s aren't designed for longevity just look at the UTQG rating of 300 AA A
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 05:35 PM   #33
F80SRT
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington;29487695

These are pretty capable tires you should be fine for 80% of conditions...

Watch the video.... [u2b
OjhAURyz_s4[/u2b]

PS4s aren't designed for longevity just look at the UTQG rating of 300 AA A
Yeah. I've watched a few videos on the tires and we already run them on my wife's X3MComp. She doesn't drive her car like I drive the M3, but she's been happy with them.
      10-27-2022, 10:50 PM   #34
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Quote:

As a fellow Coloradan, who has a G87 on order, I am curios to hear how the 20 inch rear wheels/tires are holding up with our pothole situation? Have you bent a wheel or damage the tires so far? You know how our roads get during winter and spring...
      10-28-2022, 09:33 AM   #35
F80SRT
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyhank82 View Post
As a fellow Coloradan, who has a G87 on order, I am curios to hear how the 20 inch rear wheels/tires are holding up with our pothole situation? Have you bent a wheel or damage the tires so far? You know how our roads get during winter and spring...
I live just south of DTC, so I don't think the roads are as bad. But so far so good, and I'm lowered. This is my 4th M car living down here, all 20's and up (incl. 21's) and haven't bent a rim.
      10-30-2022, 12:12 PM   #36
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

October has been a bizarre month in the Pacific NW this year. We held at or above 80 degrees through the first half of the month and then over the space of two days dropped into the low 50's.

Feeling the drastic change in grip and overall performance running PS4S's through temp drop was really interesting. Usually, Fall temp declines are gradual and I don't think the change in tire performance is as noticeable most years. Total "holy shit" day to day change this year.

I swapped back to my stock wheels with PS4 AS's on Friday and drove all over town yesterday. I ran the AS's all winter last year and I was very impressed with them. This year, with the drastic temp change, they blew my mind a bit yesterday with just how much better they are in cool damp weather than the PS4S's. Zero traction issues no matter what stupid thing I did (not that I got that stupid with it...we were just wandering around running errands).

As I've run the things for a full PNW winter and I'm back on them, the differences between the AS4's and the PS4S's (in better temps) are very clearly:

1. The AS4's give a much lighter steering effort and DO reduce steering feel a bit vs the PS4S's (not that our cars have much steering feel to begin with)
2. The AS4's tramline ever so slightly more than the PS4S's...but not so much that its an actual issue
3. Acceleration is slightly blunted with the AS4's (clear from every test done ever)
4. Braking also feels a bit less sure
5. Rain and wet road performance in cool weather is VASTLY better on the AS4's. The PS4S Star-spec tires are just dandy in WARM and rainy conditions but even just at 50 degrees ambient, they are no where near as good as the AS4's.
6. The AS4's are a bit quieter, and provide a slightly more comfortable ride.

Overall, I continue to be thrilled with overall performance of both sets of Pilots that I own.

I like the AS4's so much as a PNW tire that we just put them on my SO's 530e X-Drive (he won't switch wheels twice a year, requires one tire year round to be a happy camper) to replace the utterly horrid Hankook Run Flat AS's that his car came with (not all Hankooks are bad, but those tires were just awful in almost every condition, especially light snow and cold rain...big issue for Portland). They have been transformative for his car.

I do understand why one would choose to run one tire year-round on their car, but I wouldn't choose to run the PS4 AS's or the DWS06+'s (I ran a set on my M2 for a single PNW winter) during the summer. They do have a performance cost vs the star-spec PS4S's. I can't speak for the AWD G8x's as to how noticeable it is, but on my RWD 6MT G80, the differences are quite clear.
Appreciate 4
      10-30-2022, 03:05 PM   #37
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
October has been a bizarre month in the Pacific NW this year. We held at or above 80 degrees through the first half of the month and then over the space of two days dropped into the low 50's.
Agreed! We took trip to central Oregon on Friday, and my G82X gets its summers off next week so didn't want to chance it seeing as how the week prior has been highs of mid 40s which gave me whiteknuckle moments in town at slow speeds with frost. Laughed telling dad how my 80s Toyota rwd truck with sand bags was more secure than summer tires + awd.
Such a nice feeling not being on summers going over shady early morning passes through Oregon. Your state is beautiful right now.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2022, 11:48 AM   #38
static_void
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:

Ha, I could have written this exact post myself as a fellow Colorado driver. With the winter tires I wanted (Alpin 5's) being rare as hen's teeth and not wanting to overpay for BMW's winter package with the cast aluminum 829M wheels, I called around and managed to source some PS4AS's after my initial DWS06+ order was cancelled due to lack of availability of the rear tires.

I work from home and since I don't need to be out on the salty roads in heavy snow, I just wanted something I could use to cruise around town on cold, mostly dry days. I'm totally unsure of if I should ever run a dedicated winter setup, but I know I at least needed the A/S tires to not have the car garaged for half the year. Looking forward to your thoughts and experiences!
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2022, 11:38 AM   #39
Shawn_M3 2023
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Anyone have issues with rubbing after installing AS 4 tires in the OEM sizes? I had a bit of rubbing in my F80 in stock sizes with little lowering and spacers and I remember the tire was a bit wider than other tires by default
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 08:01 AM   #40
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_M3 2018 View Post
Anyone have issues with rubbing after installing AS 4 tires in the OEM sizes? I had a bit of rubbing in my F80 in stock sizes with little lowering and spacers and I remember the tire was a bit wider than other tires by default
Nope
'24-I20 iX 50; '23-G26 i4 M50; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2022, 04:42 PM   #41
Shawn_M3 2023
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kief View Post
Quote:
Nope
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 04:50 PM   #42
jayree41
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM3RALD View Post
I don't have my G80 yet, but I just had these mounted on a second set of OEM wheels in advance of taking delivery.

I was a little skeptical given how forum seems to love the Continentals, but after watching some reviews on YouTube the Michelins seemed to perform really well. This gave me confidence to move forward with the AS4's given the issues many have had securing DSW06's for the rear.

Very curious to hear if others have real-world experience with the AS4's.
I'm doing a second set myself what did you use for tpms?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 11:46 AM   #43
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

So im torn between the Michelin and DWS. Ive always been a Michelin guy and have had great experience with them. Just drove through some slick snow this morning with my X3 on Crossclimate and it stuck to the road like a glue. I appears that I can get either the DWS or PS4AS and the cost difference isnt much (michelin is running $110 off coupons this month). Reviews have the Michelins doing well against the DWS but the forum members have all prefered DWS. Dont know what to do...decsions...decisions...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 11:48 AM   #44
F80SRT
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
YES. I just changed my rear spacers from 13mm to 10mm, which helped a lot, but once like every five drives I'll hear a rub. I'm running AST lowering springs. It's definitely hitting on the liner on the outside of the tire.