home
Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

10-17-2022, 02:43 PM   #1
PMW0801
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4

Looking for an all season tire. Wanted the Continental DSW06 Plus but looks like rears are on back order. Anybody have experience with the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires? Thanks for any input!!!
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      10-17-2022, 03:13 PM   #2
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

Using them now. Don't track my car and can't tell any difference. Haven't had to drive in snow yet and if I do it will be just a short distance.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 03:48 PM   #3
PMW0801
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the response. I'm not looking to track my car either. My M4 is my daily and live in NJ so I want to get all season for the winter months. Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 10:01 AM   #4
EM3RALD
Rep
Drives: IOMG M3x

I don't have my G80 yet, but I just had these mounted on a second set of OEM wheels in advance of taking delivery.

I was a little skeptical given how forum seems to love the Continentals, but after watching some reviews on YouTube the Michelins seemed to perform really well. This gave me confidence to move forward with the AS4's given the issues many have had securing DSW06's for the rear.

Very curious to hear if others have real-world experience with the AS4's.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 02:20 PM   #5
amrh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3Cx

I had them on M340i xDrive and they were great. Daily driver - they handled very well for spirited driving, and were very good in the snow. I'm in Maryland, so don't get as much snow as you, in NJ. They've been on the car for about 15,000 miles, with plenty of tread left.

Personally, in normal, daily driving, I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference between the two. The Michelins might get louder as they wear down, though. I've had AS3's in the past - also great experience. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the AS4's.
Appreciate 4
EM3RALD18.00
M4Tejas788.00
SpinalTap109.50
      10-18-2022, 03:18 PM   #6
PMW0801
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. The Conti's won't be available until December/January so I might have to get the AS4's.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 04:34 PM   #7
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 i4 M50

Mine have been on for a week. Still breaking them in, only 100 miles on them. I'm curious how they handle all round
'24-I20 iX 50; '23-G26 i4 M50; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 06:40 PM   #8
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrh View Post
I had them on M340i xDrive and they were great. Daily driver - they handled very well for spirited driving, and were very good in the snow. I'm in Maryland, so don't get as much snow as you, in NJ. They've been on the car for about 15,000 miles, with plenty of tread left.

Personally, in normal, daily driving, I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference between the two. The Michelins might get louder as they wear down, though. I've had AS3's in the past - also great experience. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the AS4's.
I don't track my car either and was considering these for year round. I know its frowned upon here on the forum to put these tires on a M car but if you are not driving car at its limit or tracking, I don't see the problem. The DWS06 Plus seems to be sufficient.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 08:55 AM   #9
EM3RALD
Rep
Drives: IOMG M3x

I just saw this tire review that was posted yesterday. It includes both the AS4 and DWS06+...interesting that the AS4 performed a bit better in the snow and comparably in the wet/dry. Both seem like great options.

Appreciate 5
amrh296.50
Llarry16047.00
SpinalTap109.50
      10-20-2022, 09:05 AM   #10
amrh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3Cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUNITNOW View Post
I don't track my car either and was considering these for year round. I know its frowned upon here on the forum to put these tires on a M car but if you are not driving car at its limit or tracking, I don't see the problem. The DWS06 Plus seems to be sufficient.
It's your car - you do what works best for you. I used to switch back and forth between summer/winter (all-season tires in winter). I had two sets of wheels/tires, because I was always worried the wheels would get scratched from removing and installing tires. On my last two M340i's, I just ran AS3's and AS4's all year. I got to say, it made my life much easier. Less stuff in the garage and no need to lug them back and forth twice a year. Of course, there was an initial cost to getting the extra set of wheels/tires.

I will likely go back to two sets of wheels/tires for the g80. But, why worry about what others are doing? You're not "hurting" the car in anyway. If running all-season tires, year round, works best for you - I don't see any reason not to.
Appreciate 2
      10-21-2022, 07:12 AM   #11
carsforlife12
save the manuals
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 21 M3

Have had Michelin pilot sport all season for a year now in Kansas City area with about 9k miles on these tires. M3 is my daily and I do not track. The all season's have been great and I did not notice any significant change for street driving coming from Pirelli (lost tire lottery) during summer months. As far as winter driving I did not have any problem last year with snow or ice. As is typical taking my time and not driving outside the tires limits is a given. But for a rear wheel drive car I had no problem getting up hills that were snow covered. I have had dedicated snow tires for other cars and while there is a difference I don't think I gave anything up going all seasons.
Appreciate 4
      10-24-2022, 09:52 AM   #12
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

Timely thread. I can find DWS06Plus in stock in town, but only one end of the AS4. Thanks for making the normally OCD paralysis by analysis decision so easy!
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2022, 11:58 AM   #13
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3/ Yas Marina Blue

Had them on my car last winter. Absolutely 0 issues with them in snow, sleet, ice, and rain. I don’t track the car so I have no need for my PS4S’s anymore. Will be running the AS4’s year round now. 10/10 recommend.
Appreciate 5
EM3RALD18.00
amrh296.50
YamaLink425.00
F80SRT695.50
      10-24-2022, 12:06 PM   #14
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
Timely thread. I can find DWS06Plus in stock in town, but only one end of the AS4. Thanks for making the normally OCD paralysis by analysis decision so easy!
Tire rack
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2022, 03:22 PM   #15
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

Just called local Discount Tire. Their inventory is different than online. They have oem sets for DWS06 and AS4. I was ready to pull trigger on AS4 then shop guy says "not that you asked, but Continental makes a tire called DWS06Plus that I think is a better snow tire. The Michelins are a better slush and cold/dry tire. Think about it overnight and let us know."
I have a SUV for deep snow, or I'll stay at home for work, so the need for a cold and dry weather with occasional slush has me leaning toward AS4.

Kind of odd and refreshing not having a hard upsell from employee.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 04:33 PM   #16
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM3RALD View Post
I just saw this tire review that was posted yesterday. It includes both the AS4 and DWS06+...interesting that the AS4 performed a bit better in the snow and comparably in the wet/dry. Both seem like great options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiZNM-EXd3I
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
Just called local Discount Tire. Their inventory is different than online. They have oem sets for DWS06 and AS4. I was ready to pull trigger on AS4 then shop guy says "not that you asked, but Continental makes a tire called DWS06Plus that I think is a better snow tire. The Michelins are a better slush and cold/dry tire. Think about it overnight and let us know."
I have a SUV for deep snow, or I'll stay at home for work, so the need for a cold and dry weather with occasional slush has me leaning toward AS4.

Kind of odd and refreshing not having a hard upsell from employee.
See the review...

Pros and cons...Mich is proven...i just ordered a set for my incoming M3. I dont think in either case you will go wrong

https://youtu.be/NiZNM-EXd3I
Appreciate 2
Aalfred2619.00
      10-26-2022, 02:53 PM   #17
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
See the review...

Pros and cons...Mich is proven...i just ordered a set for my incoming M3. I dont think in either case you will go wrong

https://youtu.be/NiZNM-EXd3I
When are you getting ur car? Mine is on a ship now and expected to be at PCD late Dec. So far, Ive been able to find the Michelins easier than the DWS and the discount tire in Greer seems to carry both but I have to install them within 30 days of purchase. Might go with Michelins if they are available then Im ready to pick up my car.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2022, 03:46 PM   #18
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalfred View Post
When are you getting ur car? Mine is on a ship now and expected to be at PCD late Dec. So far, Ive been able to find the Michelins easier than the DWS and the discount tire in Greer seems to carry both but I have to install them within 30 days of purchase. Might go with Michelins if they are available then Im ready to pick up my car.
Car should be built 10/31, also doing PDC so unknown when it will arrive but should be late December/ early January by my guess.

So I just ordered them off tire rack Monday and received 2 out of the 4 tires(rears) today. Inventory is weird and in talking to tirerack they won't be getting any winter spec tires for factory rims this season.

I prefer Mich's also.

They have a 70 dollar rebate and tirerack has tire insurance included so...i didn't want to wait and risk getting the car then not being able to find tires when the car arrives. Summers won't work in the DC or a Michigan winter.
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2619.00
      10-26-2022, 04:55 PM   #19
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Car should be built 10/31, also doing PDC so unknown when it will arrive but should be late December/ early January by my guess.

So I just ordered them off tire rack Monday and received 2 out of the 4 tires(rears) today. Inventory is weird and in talking to tirerack they won't be getting any winter spec tires for factory rims this season.

I prefer Mich's also.

They have a 70 dollar rebate and tirerack has tire insurance included so...i didn't want to wait and risk getting the car then not being able to find tires when the car arrives. Summers won't work in the DC or a Michigan winter.
Thanks. So will u be taking the tires to the PCD when you pick up the car? If its anything like what I had to go through, you prob wont see ur car till late Jan/Feb...but hope, its sooner for you. Mine got built on 9/14 and sat at port till 10/22. Just got on the Donnington with expected arrival at Brunswick on 11/8. Based on what one of the members who is doing PCD said, his car came to Bruswick on 10/5 and they gave him PCD date of 11/18. So thats another 5 weeks. So its looking like Id prob get my car the last wk of Dec but with the holidays, might be pushed to early Jan...who know what tires r available then Since Im flying in, I wasnt planning on bringing the tires with me when I go to PCD.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 05:03 PM   #20
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks. So will u be taking the tires to the PCD when you pick up the car? If its anything like what I had to go through, you prob wont see ur car till late Jan/Feb...but hope, its sooner for you. Mine got built on 9/14 and sat at port till 10/22. Just got on the Donnington with expected arrival at Brunswick on 11/8. Based on what one of the members who is doing PCD said, his car came to Bruswick on 10/5 and they gave him PCD date of 11/18. So thats another 5 weeks. So its looking like Id prob get my car the last wk of Dec but with the holidays, might be pushed to early Jan...who know what tires r available then Since Im flying in, I wasnt planning on bringing the tires with me when I go to PCD.
No, will not. Will drive the car back to VA. If it's a blizzard out I will adjust the drive and just do short stints. But you can get away with summers on dry cold roads if it snows I will plan around it. Also flying down.

Another option could be tire socks if needed. Not ideal but an option.

If you can get them now probably better to have and be ready vs trying to find something which could take weeks or months. Who knows what the market will be for our spec of tires

I won't see the front tires until the second week of November.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 05:09 PM   #21
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No, will not. Will drive the car back to VA. If it's a blizzard out I will adjust the drive and just do short stints. But you can get away with summers on dry cold roads if it snows I will plan around it. Also flying down.

Another option could be tire socks if needed. Not ideal but an option.

If you can get them now probably better to have and be ready vs trying to find something which could take weeks or months. Who knows what the market will be for our spec of tires

I won't see the front tires until the second week of November.
Thanks. Thats what Im worried about too. So far, the discounttires seem to be carrying both Michelins and DWS for the OEM specs in Milwaukee and Greer, SC. I had msg their rep about buying it ahead but they said I need to take delivery within 30 days of buying so that it doesnt get automatically returned. Im hoping, once my car is out of VPC in Charleston, Ill go ahead an buy it and that should give me atleast a 4 wk cushion before they return it. Im a bit concerned about driving my car on summers through the smokie mountains in late Dec or early Jan as there might be snow on the road and will be a disaster. Worst case, ill just ship the car back home and do the PCD experience if I cant find the tires...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 05:25 PM   #22
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks. Thats what Im worried about too. So far, the discounttires seem to be carrying both Michelins and DWS for the OEM specs in Milwaukee and Greer, SC. I had msg their rep about buying it ahead but they said I need to take delivery within 30 days of buying so that it doesnt get automatically returned. Im hoping, once my car is out of VPC in Charleston, Ill go ahead an buy it and that should give me atleast a 4 wk cushion before they return it. Im a bit concerned about driving my car on summers through the smokie mountains in late Dec or early Jan as there might be snow on the road and will be a disaster. Worst case, ill just ship the car back home and do the PCD experience if I cant find the tires...
Could always reroute to trucker routes and avoid the mountains. Certain routes are priority for cleaning unless it's a perfect storm. Also snow socks or composite chains could work for a short trip (michelin easy grip snow chains or something similar)

How much is it to ship after the fact?

Tirerack is pretty fast with shipment as you could always ask around for an installer that will hold the tires for you. They allow you to ship wherever and have certified installers so could call and be like..i will pay X over if you hold the tires for my arrival and do the install.
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2619.00