BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-16-2024, 07:09 PM   #1
cobrar97
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None Yet

New Car (to me)...need help with it's AEM exhaust.

I got a used '22 M3 Competition today...with only 3,000 miles on it. But the prior owner (whom I don't know...it came from a dealer) put an AEM exhaust on it. It's the Track version...so the large resonator in the back, and the valves have been removed.

Problem is...the car is loud ALL THE TIME. So on the highway, there's drone. Had I bought an exhaust for it (which I'd probably do), I would have gotten the Switchpath or similar to retain the valves.
Being that I'm not familiar with BMW at all (this is my first one), I'm not sure where to start as far as getting valves back on it to control the sound when desired.

Can anyone start me in the right direction?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 10:31 PM   #2
cozye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp - 328ix (hers)

I assume you mean the AWE track edition, not AEM. Unfortunately you’ll have to replace it and if you don’t have the valve motors, you’ll have to buy those too. If you have the non resonated mid pipe you can reuse that.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 05:45 AM   #3
cobrar97
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozye View Post
I assume you mean the AWE track edition, not AEM. Unfortunately you’ll have to replace it and if you don’t have the valve motors, you’ll have to buy those too. If you have the non resonated mid pipe you can reuse that.
Yes...AWE

I have no problem changing or getting whatever is needed. But what items do I need and want for this? What brand and parts am I looking for? As for the valve motors, which one do I need, and will the connections for the car still be present? I'm assuming they just unplugged them and took them off?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 07:42 AM   #4
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

OP - There are a LOT of options for your car. It sounds like you (or someone) needs to check under the car to see if the valve control modules are still there or not. Many of the threads in this section have links to videos and discussions about valve controllers and other options.

There are also a lot of different opinions as to what is loud enough, too loud, and too quiet. Spend some time browsing the threads and watching the linked videos while you find a good local exhaust shop to help you out.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 09:53 AM   #5
cobrar97
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
OP - There are a LOT of options for your car. It sounds like you (or someone) needs to check under the car to see if the valve control modules are still there or not. Many of the threads in this section have links to videos and discussions about valve controllers and other options.

There are also a lot of different opinions as to what is loud enough, too loud, and too quiet. Spend some time browsing the threads and watching the linked videos while you find a good local exhaust shop to help you out.

Here's a question you might be able to answer...

Had the car still had the OEM exhaust, I doubt I would have changed it. It could be quiet on the highway, yet some sound in and around town. I would have purchased a valve controller to be able to open them 100% to be able to adjust the startup sound, burbles and things like that. I don't mind "sound", but I like good sound, AND I like it to be quiet when simply cruising along the highway.

Since I'm going to have to make a exhaust purchase to make this happen, a "better than OEM" system is what I'd want to do.

Can you direct me into a manufacture or series that would fall into this category?
Appreciate 1
Osheatwo206.50
      05-17-2024, 10:25 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I recommend you get a single midpipe + axle back that uses the stock valves. That setup gets you the cleanest tone.

Active Autowerke, MAD & Valvetronic all offer this

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 11:33 AM   #7
cobrar97
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I recommend you get a single midpipe + axle back that uses the stock valves. That setup gets you the cleanest tone.

Active Autowerke, MAD & Valvetronic all offer this

Mike,

What would be the preferred brand here (or best sounding brand)? And do you sell the valves as well, because the prior owner removed them (since they are not used in the AFM track setup)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 11:55 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrar97 View Post
Mike,

What would be the preferred brand here (or best sounding brand)? And do you sell the valves as well, because the prior owner removed them (since they are not used in the AFM track setup)

We do not sell valves, unfortunately.

As for the sound, it's a personal preference. I like the cleanest rasp-free sound possible, delivered by the single midpipe. Active & MAD both offer this option; they sound the same.

I tried the Active Autowerke & AWE setup on my last G82 M4
and going with the MAD setup for this one

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 12:09 PM   #9
cobrar97
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
We do not sell valves, unfortunately.

As for the sound, it's a personal preference. I like the cleanest rasp-free sound possible, delivered by the single midpipe. Active & MAD both offer this option; they sound the same.

I tried the Active Autowerke & AWE setup on my last G82 M4
and going with the MAD setup for this one

Yes...clean and rasp-free is exactly what I'm looking for. OEM+ I guess you could say.

I see the MAD has resonated and not...both are pre-order. Which do you recommend...or which are you going with as far as resonator?

And then do you pair that with the MAD Axleback exhaust?

So the only thing I would then need is just the OEM valve to reconnect to the system, right?

Then add the SST valve controler to be able to go 100% on the flaps.

Would this setup get me back to sounding good while being able to be quite on Comfort mode?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 12:46 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrar97 View Post
Yes...clean and rasp-free is exactly what I'm looking for. OEM+ I guess you could say.

I see the MAD has resonated and not...both are pre-order. Which do you recommend...or which are you going with as far as resonator?

And then do you pair that with the MAD Axleback exhaust?

So the only thing I would then need is just the OEM valve to reconnect to the system, right?

Then add the SST valve controler to be able to go 100% on the flaps.

Would this setup get me back to sounding good while being able to be quite on Comfort mode?
if you are upgrading the downpipes or the axle back, i recommend the resonated midpipe

if everything else is stock, non-res is the better answer.

It sounds like the resonated is the better option in your case

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 12:56 PM   #11
cobrar97
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
if you are upgrading the downpipes or the axle back, i recommend the resonated midpipe

if everything else is stock, non-res is the better answer.

It sounds like the resonated is the better option in your case

So...being that I don't have the OEM axle back available to me (old owner sold it)...I need:

Resonated midpipe
Axle back
Valve controller
OEM valves

Is that about it? I was assuming MAD products (at least when they are available).
I also see the Valvetronic Full Exhaust you have...which has equal length (but non resonated mid) and axle back system. It looks like the valves are also included...is that right? Is that an option to consider, or is the MAD offering going to be better?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 01:53 PM   #12
CMW33
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp

Two potential stopgap solutions:

1. Find someone on BimmerPost or FB Marketplace selling a used version of the OEM exhaust.
2. Find a muffler shop and ask them to weld in a resonator(s).

#2 is more straightforward and something you can do today to deal with the noise. It won't be a perfect solution but would help make the system more livable while you find a long-term solution.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 10:14 PM   #13
cozye
Second Lieutenant
Rep

While Mike is absolutely the right guy to get you what you need, I think he may have missed that you want a quiet setup. I don’t think a new mid pipe with a new cat back, especially the single mid pipe that will eliminate the secondary cats that you have will be significantly quieter than what you have. Perhaps 15% quieter, but you are still going to have a bit of drone at 80-85mph on the highway that you do now. I have driven a car with your setup, as well as my own car which has the AWE switchpath and valve controller. My car with the valve controller fully open sounds exactly like the track edition, and for me that’s too loud for just highway cruising and putting around town when I just want to be quiet. It’s great when I’m out driving sporty. With the valve closed it’s about 40% quieter just driving around, but only about 15-20% quieter under load on the highway around 2000rpm, like a slight uphill etc.. My hunch is that the Mad system with cat back, and non resonated mid pipe will be even louder as its essentially the same cat back type muffler but you will be eliminating the secondary cats, so even freer flowing in the mid section.

In my opinion I think you should do a couple things. First, confirm what has been done to your car. We don’t know if you have the AWE non resonated mid pipe or not. You stated you have the track edition. It can be installed with, or without the non resonated mid pipe. Take a picture of under your car where the after market system starts and post up. We can tell you what you have.

Then evaluate your options.

If you have the non resonated mid pipe, you have two options to get where you want IMO.
1. Buy the AWE switchpath and have it installed directly in place of your track edition, using your existing non resonated mid pipe. You will also have to source the valve controller motors that you are missing. This will give you OEM ++ sound, valves to help quieten it up. You can add a valve controller later if you want it 10-15% louder.

2. Source a stock exhaust from someone else on the forum (making sure it’s been cut in the right place), source valve motors, and get the MAD mid pipe to use with the factory cat back. The factory cat back is a good muffler and many are happy with this combo. You can add the valve controller later if you want it louder too. I do not know if this is louder or quieter than option 1 in comfort mode with valves closed. Haven’t heard or driven the MAD setup in person. Mike would be the person to answer that.

If your car does not have the AWE non resonated mid pipe, and still has 1 resonator in place from the factory, then I think your choice is clear, get the AWE switchpath, source the valve motors, and it will bolt right up to where the exhaust is currently cut. If you still have your factory resonator, this is going to be the quietest option you have without sourcing a stock exhaust.

The other thing to consider is coding out the ASD (fake engine noise in the stereo) if it’s hasnt be done already.

Regardless of what options you choose. Mike is the guy. He sold me my system and is top notch, quick shipping and super helpful.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2024, 10:34 PM   #14
cobrar97
Enlisted Member
Rep

Take a look at these pictures. What do you think.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1N_VjetGBb7X_-rsOEOowPUtgOM2m-krN

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 10:46 PM   #15
cozye
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You have the non resonated mid pipe as well. So option 1 or 2 from my above post would be your best choices.

The good news is that those are your valve motors attached to those AWE blanking plates, I assume to fool the computer that they are still doing their job. So basically you have everything you need except the actual exhaust components depending on option.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 04:10 PM   #16
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

You will need a Midpipe and axle back (you have valve motors) . If You want it on the quieter side you may not need the valve controller since oem will handle that. It can always be purchased at a later time.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 01:22 PM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozye View Post
While Mike is absolutely the right guy to get you what you need, I think he may have missed that you want a quiet setup. I don’t think a new mid pipe with a new cat back, especially the single mid pipe that will eliminate the secondary cats that you have will be significantly quieter than what you have. Perhaps 15% quieter, but you are still going to have a bit of drone at 80-85mph on the highway that you do now. I have driven a car with your setup, as well as my own car which has the AWE switchpath and valve controller. My car with the valve controller fully open sounds exactly like the track edition, and for me that’s too loud for just highway cruising and putting around town when I just want to be quiet. It’s great when I’m out driving sporty. With the valve closed it’s about 40% quieter just driving around, but only about 15-20% quieter under load on the highway around 2000rpm, like a slight uphill etc.. My hunch is that the Mad system with cat back, and non resonated mid pipe will be even louder as its essentially the same cat back type muffler but you will be eliminating the secondary cats, so even freer flowing in the mid section.

In my opinion I think you should do a couple things. First, confirm what has been done to your car. We don’t know if you have the AWE non resonated mid pipe or not. You stated you have the track edition. It can be installed with, or without the non resonated mid pipe. Take a picture of under your car where the after market system starts and post up. We can tell you what you have.

Then evaluate your options.

If you have the non resonated mid pipe, you have two options to get where you want IMO.
1. Buy the AWE switchpath and have it installed directly in place of your track edition, using your existing non resonated mid pipe. You will also have to source the valve controller motors that you are missing. This will give you OEM ++ sound, valves to help quieten it up. You can add a valve controller later if you want it 10-15% louder.

2. Source a stock exhaust from someone else on the forum (making sure it’s been cut in the right place), source valve motors, and get the MAD mid pipe to use with the factory cat back. The factory cat back is a good muffler and many are happy with this combo. You can add the valve controller later if you want it louder too. I do not know if this is louder or quieter than option 1 in comfort mode with valves closed. Haven’t heard or driven the MAD setup in person. Mike would be the person to answer that.

If your car does not have the AWE non resonated mid pipe, and still has 1 resonator in place from the factory, then I think your choice is clear, get the AWE switchpath, source the valve motors, and it will bolt right up to where the exhaust is currently cut. If you still have your factory resonator, this is going to be the quietest option you have without sourcing a stock exhaust.

The other thing to consider is coding out the ASD (fake engine noise in the stereo) if it’s hasnt be done already.

Regardless of what options you choose. Mike is the guy. He sold me my system and is top notch, quick shipping and super helpful.
Quiet sound is subjective, i guess

To me, stock downpipes with a resonated single and an axle-back are considered quiet, but after reading the thread again with your response, I think you gave the better advice.

Appreciate 1
cozye352.00