BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep
Drives: M3CS

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shwayne5 View Post
That’s a good question. It is lighter but even with a little weight taken out of it, it’s hard to imagine that they’re able to significantly improve the car’s ability to transition without stronger/thicker or solid bars. But before I bought them I’d want to be sure that they were in fact an upgrade. Especially given that they’re probably expensive and likely not returnable.
I am not certain what you mean by transition, we may have different views on that. If you mean change of direction and responsiveness to steering input, then that’s the job of the low frequency compression and rebound of the shocks. Swaybars are mainly used to adjust the steady-state cornering attitude of the car before springs take over.
      11-03-2023, 10:04 PM   #46
shwayne5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 RWD

Makes sense. My view is coming from what I’ve learned from the person who as done all of the work on the car and the spl engineer who’s been able to drive it out on COTA. Suffice it to say you definitely know a lot more about suspension set-up than I do. And I could be conflating the “need” for sway bars based on their opinion, with the issue of the car’s slowness to change direction.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 10:55 PM   #47
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Makes sense. My view is coming from what I’ve learned from the person who as done all of the work on the car and the spl engineer who’s been able to drive it out on COTA. Suffice it to say you definitely know a lot more about suspension set-up than I do. And I could be conflating the “need” for sway bars based on their opinion, with the issue of the car’s slowness to change direction.
I have not driven your car, not my car at the track, so don't go by my word. I do not know what your car may need or not. I was only trying to point out that the swaybar change, specifically to the CSL version, may not yield the results you are looking for.

Best of luck and have fun.
      11-05-2023, 06:00 AM   #48
shwayne5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackOnBlack View Post
I have not driven your car, not my car at the track, so don't go by my word. I do not know what your car may need or not. I was only trying to point out that the swaybar change, specifically to the CSL version, may not yield the results you are looking for.

Best of luck and have fun.
It’s all good my man. Just gives me more information to go on. Appreciate it.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2023, 11:47 AM   #49
Callsign:Goose
Registered
Rep
Drives: 99' M3, 99' 328is, 93' 323i

Quote:
Got the Eibach Sway Bars from Germany today. They’re a non starter for g80 m3. The front is 3mm smaller than stock. And the rear is just too hard to tell without putting it on a lift. I called Eibach USA and they were nice enough to go onto the Eibach Germany site and figure out that they’re not really for our cars but in certain places you’ll see that they fit “g80, g20, gxx” and so on. Eibach USA said they don’t have any intention, thus far, of making any bars for our cars. No customer demand.

I find it a little frustrating that the three different distributors in Europe that I talked to said they would fit our cars (I’m not confident they will) and that they are meant for our cars. And when you search some of their websites for parts for our exact platform the bars in question pop up like they’re some kind of performance mod.

Apologies for this miscommunication, but Eibach USA is working on development for bars on the M3/4 and M2.

In fact, anyone local interested in getting the vehicle to Eibach, let me know (messages aren't active yet). CSL bars are currently the benchmark, but open to hear what owners are really looking for.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 02:50 PM   #50
shwayne5
Private
United_States
Rep

Where are you located? I’m guessing not in central texas
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 02:51 PM   #51
shwayne5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callsign:Goose View Post
Apologies for this miscommunication, but Eibach USA is working on development for bars on the M3/4 and M2.

In fact, anyone local interested in getting the vehicle to Eibach, let me know (messages aren't active yet). CSL bars are currently the benchmark, but open to hear what owners are really looking for.
Also, I spoke with someone from your Motorsport division and they said you were not likely to make any sway bars for the g80, so who knows what’s going on there
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 03:27 PM   #52
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
I can put a caliper on the CSL bars if that helps. I assume they’re solid- if not I.D. won’t be possible but pretty certain they’re solid.
      11-10-2023, 03:28 PM   #53
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Where are you located? I’m guessing not in central texas
Unfortunately not! Corona, CA.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2023, 03:55 PM   #54
shwayne5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_Apex View Post
I can put a caliper on the CSL bars if that helps. I assume they’re solid- if not I.D. won’t be possible but pretty certain they’re solid.
Even if it’s for academic reasons, I’m genuinely curious to know the differences between the bars. The second part would be to get part numbers and a parts department who picks up their phone and is willing to order them. But then there’s the issue with fitment.
I did see that H&R is making sway bars for xdrive and rwd starting anytime. Some stores are showing them “in stock” but they are a couple of weeks out. With that said, H&R is a little more street performance and less track.
Appreciate 1
Hit_Apex2370.50
      11-14-2023, 05:26 AM   #55
M4nication
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callsign:Goose View Post
Unfortunately not! Corona, CA.
Hmmm. I'm based in Los Angeles. Maybe we can coordinate something and set something up? G82 Comp xDrive, for reference.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 06:18 PM   #56
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
I agree academic, as it can be difficult to compare bars that can vary in material, and design. The CSL front bar is 29mm and appears to be a solid design. The rear on these cars is at the least variable and possibly hybrid material. On the CSL the torsion section (straight middle) is just 20MM which narrows down from 25MM at the ends. I vaguely recall something about this type of design that may be a mix of materials or construction. Keep in mind the weight difference, while the CSL is more aggressive, this may not translate into fatter/stiffer bars due to lighter weight.

None of this may be relevant, but never assume an after market product is more aggressive than all OEM variants. Many manufactures will market a product that was originally designed for variant x, later discover it works (bolts up) to other models, and simply add those models to their “fits” list without any testing or consideration to benefit.

Lastly, ARBs were very popular in the past when cars came with mild setups. It may be the case that G8x cars can be tuned from full race to street sport with a good coilover setup using the stock bars where aftermarket bars just add an unnecessary variable to the mix. This is my current lean but open to other points of view.
      11-14-2023, 08:46 PM   #57
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:

Lastly, ARBs were very popular in the past when cars came with mild setups. It may be the case that G8x cars can be tuned from full race to street sport with a good coilover setup using the stock bars where aftermarket bars just add an unnecessary variable to the mix. This is my current lean but open to other points of view.
Although I agree with you, one benefit an after-market bar might bring is adjustability to tune the attitude of the car. If it is not adjustable, I don’t see the point either.
      11-14-2023, 08:54 PM   #58
shwayne5
Private
United_States
Rep

I guess we’ll see. I ordered the H&R bars and will have them installed by mid December, then out to the track a week later. It won’t be scientific but should be a decent before and after.
Appreciate 2
      11-16-2023, 03:41 PM   #59
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I agree academic, as it can be difficult to compare bars that can vary in material, and design. The CSL front bar is 29mm and appears to be a solid design. The rear on these cars is at the least variable and possibly hybrid material. On the CSL the torsion section (straight middle) is just 20MM which narrows down from 25MM at the ends. I vaguely recall something about this type of design that may be a mix of materials or construction. Keep in mind the weight difference, while the CSL is more aggressive, this may not translate into fatter/stiffer bars due to lighter weight.

None of this may be relevant, but never assume an after market product is more aggressive than all OEM variants. Many manufactures will market a product that was originally designed for variant x, later discover it works (bolts up) to other models, and simply add those models to their “fits” list without any testing or consideration to benefit.

Agreed, most people are truly only focused on the diameter, when in actuality it comes down to bar rate, which is dictated by diameter, wall thickness (if hollow) and material. Eibach is in fact a supplier to BMW for OE springs in some applications, unfortunately not on these bars. Which has only slowed the development process, not stopped it!
Appreciate 1
Hit_Apex2370.50
      11-17-2023, 03:03 PM   #60
Matt@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: F82 M4, E36 M3 Touring, Z3

We did all this on our G87 M2 but the result would be pretty similar on any RWD G8x

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 09:42 AM   #61
TselaG80
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SMB G80 M3 X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Evolve View Post
We did all this on our G87 M2 but the result would be pretty similar on any RWD G8x

safe to say these sway bars only fit RWD cars not x-drive?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 11:47 AM   #62
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Great review! Good to see the juice is worth the squeeze. It's a shame stabilizer bars keep becoming more and more challenging to install being tucked into subframes, as they are a good tuning tool.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 05:15 AM   #63
Matt@Evolve
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TselaG80 View Post
safe to say these sway bars only fit RWD cars not x-drive?
Rear would fit both but front is RWD only.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 09:09 AM   #64
TselaG80
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Rear would fit both but front is RWD only.
would love to see the CS front & rear sway bars installed on a normal Comp X-Drive car.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 09:14 AM   #65
Matt@Evolve
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TselaG80 View Post
would love to see the CS front & rear sway bars installed on a normal Comp X-Drive car.
CS has the same rear ARB as the other models, and front is the same as a G81.
Appreciate 1
Tuner199.00
      11-21-2023, 09:59 AM   #66
TselaG80
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
CS has the same rear ARB as the other models, and front is the same as a G81.
would this be the correct part?

any other accessory parts needed to make this swap? bolts/hardware?

https://parts.bmwnorthwest.com/p/bmw...358091425.html
Appreciate 1
Tuner199.00