BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-17-2024, 07:25 PM   #1
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

M3 Comp vs CS - driving difference?

sorry if there's another thread, but i couldn't find one on the interweb

those who have owned both, what are the differences in throttle response, low end torque, general torque delivery, 40hp noticable?

and any other comments!

thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 08:58 PM   #2
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
You should PM member Vic55. He has had 2 G80 M3's and now the CS. Plus every other MFN car you could want...lol.
tatarwj379.50
2011ninja3400.50
chicagofan0019168.50
      04-17-2024, 09:04 PM   #3
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Vic55
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 09:36 PM   #4
HiFi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
You should PM member Vic55. He has had 2 G80 M3's and now the CS. Plus every other MFN car you could want...lol.
the power/tq isnt what you notice, its the handling. Only had about 1 hour in a CS but that was what i noticed the most vs standard G80
      04-17-2024, 10:22 PM   #5
Ezra168
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4/Infiniti Q50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
the power/tq isnt what you notice, its the handling. Only had about 1 hour in a CS but that was what i noticed the most vs standard G80
I’m interested in those who have a g80/82 and have done the CS/CSL flash to upgrade steering etc….is it worth it?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 10:30 PM   #6
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra168 View Post
I’m interested in those who have a g80/82 and have done the CS/CSL flash to upgrade steering etc….is it worth it?
For the cheap cost, yes. Code/flash all the modules (diff and trans, etc.). It’s almost a no brainer, since it’s so cheap and simple.
Appreciate 2
Ezra168214.50
      04-17-2024, 10:31 PM   #7
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Discission on that is found here.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=95

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1995541
npcars47.50
      04-17-2024, 10:48 PM   #8
Ezra168
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4/Infiniti Q50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
For the cheap cost, yes. Code/flash all the modules (diff and trans, etc.). It’s almost a no brainer, since it’s so cheap and simple.
I have a base G82 so I guess would only the be the steering
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 01:44 AM   #9
HiFi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

Quote:
i would also do monoballs on the front end - that with the CS steering and a revised alingment should give you something very close to where the CS is out of the box
      04-18-2024, 12:44 PM   #10
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Sorry I didnt see the tag or it didnt populate but here I am.

Its really early on as I just got the CS and was out of town last week so only have very limited miles on it but here are my early on thoughts and Ill try to be as relative as possible since all of this is still subjective.

On the same roads vs my 2022 X Drive (X drive had a Racechip piggy and was lowered on MSS) but my 22 was stock for maybe 2 days LOL

The CS feels faster than the X with the RC. The throttle response is so immediate and the CS transmission tune makes a very noticeable difference. The S58 already begs to be raped but damn this car feels faster than my tuned X and equally as fast as my RC modded M8.

The car just moves immediately and the snap up shifts really give me a recollection of my PDK in my current 992 GTS and my departed GT3. Its very aggressive and creates that kind of gear shift transition that exudes a more race like feel.

TQ delivery feels similar but again my X was piggy tuned right away so it wasnt stock but this CS seems just a bit more able to move in and out of turns and quick expressway lane jumps. Maybe BMW under rated the hp like they do on their normal M's. I took the CS into my canyon roads yesterday where Ive taken all my cars and boy its so flat and enduring of the undulations but also has a better steering feel and point/shoot process than the X. And the X and even my 21 G80 RWD Comp were no slouches.

The CS might not be worthy to all as some will just want to mod their X's and get to similar performance functions but to me I wanted the actual model variant and thus far am very very impressed with it (14 M's in). I know some may think its my purchase justification but as I type this Im trying to remember how great the X drive was over the RWD comp and I just cant see it reaching this level of improvement.

It sure sits high though

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black

Last edited by Vic55; 04-18-2024 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 6
2011ninja3400.50
holmar888289.00
npcars47.50
Needsdecaf6621.00
chicagofan0019168.50
AWDSOME629.50
      04-18-2024, 01:24 PM   #11
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

The CS drivetrain coding and flash for each mode is where you’re seeing the eager response. Some of it is on the TCU and some of course is on the main engine DME, which without an unlock on a non-CS and then BM3’d to the CSL tune, you won’t have. Throttle response is remapped and just a bit more snappy/eager as you put it. It can definitely be duplicated if you flash and code all the necessary stuff on a Comp or Base. Of course you’d want to also match up the drivetrain mounts as well if you want that direct jarring feel.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 01:49 PM   #12
Yuri-y
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80

Had M3 Comp and Cs. Too different cars. But its easy to live with CS every day.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 01:51 PM   #13
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Sorry I didnt see the tag or it didnt populate but here I am.

Its really early on as I just got the CS and was out of town last week so only have very limited miles on it but here are my early on thoughts and Ill try to be as relative as possible since all of this is still subjective.

On the same roads vs my 2022 X Drive (X drive had a Racechip piggy and was lowered on MSS) but my 22 was stock for maybe 2 days LOL

The CS feels faster than the X with the RC. The throttle response is so immediate and the CS transmission tune makes a very noticeable difference. The S58 already begs to be raped but damn this car feels faster than my tuned X and equally as fast as my RC modded M8.

The car just moves immediately and the snap up shifts really give me a recollection of my PDK in my current 992 GTS and my departed GT3. Its very aggressive and creates that kind of gear shift transition that exudes a more race like feel.

TQ delivery feels similar but again my X was piggy tuned right away so it wasnt stock but this CS seems just a bit more able to move in and out of turns and quick expressway lane jumps. Maybe BMW under rated the hp like they do on their normal M's. I took the CS into my canyon roads yesterday where Ive taken all my cars and boy its so flat and enduring of the undulations but also has a better steering feel and point/shoot process than the X. And the X and even my 21 G80 RWD Comp were no slouches.

The CS might not be worthy to all as some will just want to mod their X's and get to similar performance functions but to me I wanted the actual model variant and thus far am very very impressed with it (14 M's in). I know some may think its my purchase justification but as I type this Im trying to remember how great the X drive was over the RWD comp and I just cant see it reaching this level of improvement.

It sure sits high though

ah yes the DME throttle response trick by BMW again

i have this M550i that has around the same power as the existing M5 of that time

so what did BMW do, they map the DME to give zero throttle response for what feels like a whole second when i press gas on the 550. still looking for a fix.

sounds like the CS has the anti-handicap applied.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 01:52 PM   #14
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
i don't suppose one can do that at home? (i live in a country with a population of 4 million and no tuners nearby)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 04:11 PM   #15
Han4mi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30M View Post
i don't suppose one can do that at home? (i live in a country with a population of 4 million and no tuners nearby)
You can get it done easily. Get in touch with one of the remote coders in the forums (like Kuba). All you need is a data cable (obd port) and a laptop with an internet connection. Takes 15 mins.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6621.00
      04-18-2024, 11:16 PM   #16
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3CS

@vic44, get the active AA equal length mid and bimmercode out the fake exhaust and speaker burble. You'll be amazed at how much better the difference is. It a different beast. Also, as far as being fast, the CS stock slowly walks a jb4 comp only cause the the shifts are better it seems like. So it's really fast, but it looks from the rolls that were done, that it's the quicker shifts that give it the edge
Appreciate 1
Vic5519407.50
      04-19-2024, 02:35 AM   #17
RichardGM4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 CS

I owned a G82 M4CX for over 2 years up until March this year, when I traded it in for a new G80 M3 CS so have driven both cars recently. There is a noticeable difference in the way the CS drives, both from a handling and power delivery perspective.

1. The suspension and handling

The setup of the CS feels very different from the standard G82 as the turn-in is much sharper, the steering is much more direct and while the damping on the CS feels slightly firmer than the G82, it also feels more compliant over certain pot holes and speed tables that I drive over every day near my house.

The car feels much more direct and responsive to even slight changes in direction but it isn't twitchy and doesn't tramline, so whatever they did to the suspension setup on the CS, (I obviously know about the specific changes, like damper setting, components changes, etc) they've nailed it in my opinion.

FYI I had a full geometry setup done to my G82 (fast road setup) and even with that done, the CS is noticeably better IMO.

2. The power / power delivery

As soon as I collected the CS I could feel the difference in the power delivery, even though I didn't drive the car over 4.5k rpms and not above 115 mph for the first month, prior to the RIS.

There seems to be more torque available from the turbo's and there even less lag, not that there is a great deal of lag on the G82.

I know that the stated torque figures are the same but it's as if the turbo's spool quicker, or maybe it's just that the torque is available at a slightly wider rev range. I'm not sure but pre-RIS I could tell the car was more responsive than the G82 when riding the torque wave and not power at higher RPM, to overtake other vehicles, etc

Now that I've had the RIS done and taken the car to the limits a few times, I definitely think the CS is quite a bit quicker than the G82. I know there are youtube videos, articles online, etc that say the CS is only marginally quicker than the stock G8x cars (e.g. the Nurburgring lap times) but I'm sorry, I don't thinks that's the case in real world use.

The CS feels a lot quicker than the quoted 40bhp increase and 20kg decrease improvements between the cars. Maybe it's partly how it delivers the power due to the CS engine tune/map, maybe it's also the feeling from the much (MUCH) snappier and quicker gear changes (particularly the up-shifts). However I'd bet through some twisty UK B roads and in the hands of the same driver, the CS would easily beat the G82 M4CX - it just feels a lot quicker to me.

I intend to dyno my car as soon as I can find a decent AWD dyno near me (all the ones I've tried either don't offer power runs or the dyno is currently out of action!), to see if it's really only running +40bhp over the stock G8x cars. As I say, the difference between the cars feels greater than that to me.

I'll post the results when I eventually get it done!
Appreciate 7
2011ninja3400.50
somer967.50
Vic5519407.50
Needsdecaf6621.00
BimmerFix1390.50
      04-19-2024, 08:33 AM   #18
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Yes, it is a MASSIVE difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 08:49 AM   #19
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30M View Post
ah yes the DME throttle response trick by BMW again

i have this M550i that has around the same power as the existing M5 of that time

so what did BMW do, they map the DME to give zero throttle response for what feels like a whole second when i press gas on the 550. still looking for a fix.

sounds like the CS has the anti-handicap applied.
No, that's not it whatsoever.

BMW had that issue in multiple cars. I sold my F10 535i because of it. It was a total cluster...you pressed the gas and NOTHING happened. Not "oh hey, we're holding the car back because of wanting to protect the bigger model" no, if you have a car with this you know NOTHING happened. Like you're trying to move and the car won't start going, and you're making a left across traffic and freaking out. I couldn't drive the car like that. My wife thought I was being a freak and so she drove the car for 6 months and said "sell it".

I have a G80 CX and have had the CS trans and steering applied. The CS trans / throttle calibration is just....better. It's more aggressive but still very, very smooth. I'd say that comfort is now like 80% of the stock sport, but that it doesn't hold gears as long. It's nearly perfect. I say nearly because in Sport plus, the shifts are HARD. As in hard enough to cause the car to get upset. The only way to make them not hard is to shift at big, big throttle openings.

So no, it's not simply what you described.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 10:01 AM   #20
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I have a G80 CX and have had the CS trans and steering applied. The CS trans / throttle calibration is just....better. It's more aggressive but still very, very smooth. I'd say that comfort is now like 80% of the stock sport, but that it doesn't hold gears as long. It's nearly perfect. I say nearly because in Sport plus, the shifts are HARD. As in hard enough to cause the car to get upset. The only way to make them not hard is to shift at big, big throttle openings.

So no, it's not simply what you described.
Have you changed your mounts yet? You may want to do that to the CS ones so that the slop in the stock Comp mounts don’t translate to more movement during those hard and aggressive changes in force which cause the vehicle to see balance upset. If you’re going to have a more crisp and direct/agreessive drivetrain behavior, you need something to keep it inline a little more so massive play from softer mounts doesn’t surface as a negative byproduct. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 11:14 AM   #21
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Have you changed your mounts yet? You may want to do that to the CS ones so that the slop in the stock Comp mounts don’t translate to more movement during those hard and aggressive changes in force which cause the vehicle to see balance upset. If you’re going to have a more crisp and direct/agreessive drivetrain behavior, you need something to keep it inline a little more so massive play from softer mounts doesn’t surface as a negative byproduct. Good luck.
No, may do that. Monoballs first.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 12:11 PM   #22
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
No, may do that. Monoballs first.
Monoballs won’t do much for the drivetrain stability, it’ll be more for steering feel, but that’s your call. It’s an easier install per se vs engine and trans mounts. Rear diff bushings is also something you can take a look into also. I’ve had good results with Powerflex stuff over the years for sways and other locations and they do make a kit for the rear diff on these cars.
Appreciate 0