BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-27-2022, 11:03 PM   #89
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK__LA View Post
Thank you for the input !

One of my concerns was losing that fun factor of the ass losing traction and it depends on your skills if you can catch it or not.

So the whole unpredictable rear end is exactly what I look forward too unlike others
Yeah, just turn off the traction control and crank up the M settings for throttle and engine response, and the G8X platform is an absolute animal...a chaotic beast, similar to the F8X, though a bit more predictable than the F8X.

You will miss the drama of the DCT (I definitely do), but other than that, the G8X just feels much more sophisticated and well sorted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUNITNOW View Post
Ok... I know I'm a total newbie when it comes to a M car. For the last 10 years I only drove a 7 series but I owned a lot of sports cars in the past but no where near this much power. I'm not past my break in yet but I'm sure I won't be taking any nannies off anytime soon. My car is a RWD and I've punched it a few times but I always ease into it. I admire you guys that take off all of the nannies and drive but I think k it's going to be a while before I do it. Don't want to be the next you tube sensation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUNITNOW View Post
Lol... yes, I'm taking my time and it's hard as hell to drive normal. I forgot what I was missing from driving a boat like the Seven. My wife is scared to bride with me now
Uh, yeah, don't turn off the TC with all the M settings maxed out, because the RWD G8X will definitely get sideways. It's controllable, but not something you want to experience on the road unless you're used to it. You always have to respect the size and weight of the G8X platform, though like the M5, it is HIGHLY capable and an absolute weapon once you get used to it. But definitely ease into it.

But even with the M settings at their highest settings, you can definitely floor it with the TC on and the car will sort everything out. So you can still experience the full power and have loads of fun.

But for unadulterated burnouts, just turn off the TC and have at it. Just don't forget to turn it back on before things get out of hand.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 02:44 PM   #90
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335ix

Very bad week financially. Furnace gave out (years before it should have) and a power outage and resultant surge took out the water softener. There went a quick $10k. On top of that, the restaurant that my significant other manages just went under due to COVID related issues, and she's out of work, at a time most restaurants here are already struggling to survive and have shorter operating hours and/or have cut staff. . It may be quite a while before she finds something, much less anything equivalent. I guess when it rains it pours.

Based on the above, I'm now going to have to limit my expenditure for an M4 to $60k, max. Which means I will, unfortunately have to forgo my dreams of being able to pull off a G82, and drop back to finding a good deal on a 201702018 w/Competition package.

I really appreciate all of your comments, expertise and recommendations since I started this discussion. I wish you all many years of driving enjoyment with those great cars you own.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 11:24 PM   #91
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I'm coming from a F80 M3 CS that I tracked once or twice a month. I've only owned my 2022 M4 Competition X-Drive for 3 days. After 2 spirited canyon runs here are my impressions:

ZF8 - Not as dramatic as the DCT, but it's a fast shifter. Neither the DCT nor the ZF8 are going to match the engagement of a manual, so the slight difference between the two are inconsequential. The ZF8 is smoother and almost as fast. On the track, I usually have the DCT in mode 2 because I found the 3rd setting too harsh and upset the car in certain situations. So from a performance aspect, they are about the same.

Handling - The G8X X-Drive naturally has more grip on corner exit. My initial impression is that it seems to have more lateral grip despite being a heavier car. In MDM mode I manage to let the rear out a bit and it was very controllable. I'll have to wait until my first track day to see how DSC off feels, but so far I think handling is a big improvement.

Power - This is a no-brainer. The power and torque increase more than make up for the weight gain. Power delivery is smoother, less peaky. Power is more usable and instills confidence.

Interior - I love the LED mood lighting. iDrive is a big improvement overall and I love the F80's iDrive. The center console to me is a mess honestly. I can't find the buttons by feel. Maybe it will just take time, but everything is mostly flat. I prefer buttons. The center console looks messy with the lid for the cupholders up. I wish it just slid away instead. I love the M1 and M2 button placement, and the overall interior is an improvement in aesthetics.

Seats - I like the F80 Competition and CS seats more than the base seats in the G80 as they are less cushioned so allow for less movement. Ventilated seats are a plus, but honestly I wish we just got an updated Comp/CS seat. I kind of regret not optioning Carbon Buckets, but I wanted ventilated seats.

Appearance - Here's where many of us are divided. I find the G8X to be much more modern than the F8X, and I LOVE the F80. I came to like the big grill before I decided to get the car, and I love the sharp lines and angular look of the G8X. I do still wish the G8X wasn't so big, it's a little under 5 inches longer and an inch wider, but I felt like the F8X was too big as well.

For me, it was only worth going with a G8X to experience something new while staying in the BMW M family. I wanted a coupe this time, so G82 for me, and I figured AWD would bring a new driving experience, so competition X-Drive it was.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 4
      01-29-2022, 11:30 PM   #92
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I'm coming from a F80 M3 CS that I tracked once or twice a month. I've only owned my 2022 M4 Competition X-Drive for 3 days. After 2 spirited canyon runs here are my impressions:

ZF8 - Not as dramatic as the DCT, but it's a fast shifter. Neither the DCT nor the ZF8 are going to match the engagement of a manual, so the slight difference between the two are inconsequential. The ZF8 is smoother and almost as fast. On the track, I usually have the DCT in mode 2 because I found the 3rd setting too harsh and upset the car in certain situations. So from a performance aspect, they are about the same.

Handling - The G8X X-Drive naturally has more grip on corner exit. My initial impression is that it seems to have more lateral grip despite being a heavier car. In MDM mode I manage to let the rear out a bit and it was very controllable. I'll have to wait until my first track day to see how DSC off feels, but so far I think handling is a big improvement.

Power - This is a no-brainer. The power and torque increase more than make up for the weight gain. Power delivery is smoother, less peaky. Power is more usable and instills confidence.

Interior - I love the LED mood lighting. iDrive is a big improvement overall and I love the F80's iDrive. The center console to me is a mess honestly. I can't find the buttons by feel. Maybe it will just take time, but everything is mostly flat. I prefer buttons. The center console looks messy with the lid for the cupholders up. I wish it just slid away instead. I love the M1 and M2 button placement, and the overall interior is an improvement in aesthetics.

Seats - I like the F80 Competition and CS seats more than the base seats in the G80 as they are less cushioned so allow for less movement. Ventilated seats are a plus, but honestly I wish we just got an updated Comp/CS seat. I kind of regret not optioning Carbon Buckets, but I wanted ventilated seats.

Appearance - Here's where many of us are divided. I find the G8X to be much more modern than the F8X, and I LOVE the F80. I came to like the big grill before I decided to get the car, and I love the sharp lines and angular look of the G8X. I do still wish the G8X wasn't so big, it's a little under 5 inches longer and an inch wider, but I felt like the F8X was too big as well.

For me, it was only worth going with a G8X to experience something new while staying in the BMW M family. I wanted a coupe this time, so G82 for me, and I figured AWD would bring a new driving experience, so competition X-Drive it was.
Congrats on the new car. It sounds spectacular!
Appreciate 1
jmg18709.50
      01-31-2022, 02:26 PM   #93
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
I was driving on 95 a couple months ago and drove by a tanzanite G80. It stuck out like a sore thumb. Tons of presence and made all the cars around it look so boring and narrow. This wasn't my first time seeing a G80 too. I test drove one for four hours a couple months prior. I will admit the F80 has a ton of road presence too, but G80, IMO, has more. The G82 is a different story though. I think it looks meh and not aggressive enough.
i was very much going to sit on a c8 corvette waitlist for years but an IOMG M3 drove past me one day and it looked amazing. its definitely a headturner much more so than F8x cars i have seen in my opinion (i dont mean it looks better necessarily thats pretty subjective. the F8x just doent look as differentiated compared to the m440i/m340i to me)
Appreciate 2
2011ninja3397.50
02M3ForMe4261.50
      02-01-2022, 12:04 AM   #94
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap27 View Post
i was very much going to sit on a c8 corvette waitlist for years but an IOMG M3 drove past me one day and it looked amazing. its definitely a headturner much more so than F8x cars i have seen in my opinion (i dont mean it looks better necessarily thats pretty subjective. the F8x just doent look as differentiated compared to the m440i/m340i to me)
Very much agreed
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3397.50
      02-01-2022, 12:53 AM   #95
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO-BMW View Post
Very bad week financially. Furnace gave out (years before it should have) and a power outage and resultant surge took out the water softener. There went a quick $10k. On top of that, the restaurant that my significant other manages just went under due to COVID related issues, and she's out of work, at a time most restaurants here are already struggling to survive and have shorter operating hours and/or have cut staff. . It may be quite a while before she finds something, much less anything equivalent. I guess when it rains it pours.

Based on the above, I'm now going to have to limit my expenditure for an M4 to $60k, max. Which means I will, unfortunately have to forgo my dreams of being able to pull off a G82, and drop back to finding a good deal on a 201702018 w/Competition package.

I really appreciate all of your comments, expertise and recommendations since I started this discussion. I wish you all many years of driving enjoyment with those great cars you own.
Sorry to hear that, brutal!

Maybe don't give up the dream just yet.

I was originally looking at F80 but decided to go G80 because the second hand market is so nuts. I felt the F80 was over priced for a car that was out of warranty. For a similar monthly payment I got a G80 with no bad history or warranty worries.

Maybe just give it a bit of time before rushing a purchase of either
Appreciate 1
s58544.00
      02-02-2022, 02:49 AM   #96
mikezmoney
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 comp xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
The F8x is much more raw than the G8x. The lack of rear end traction is very apparent in the F80 where the backend can step out somewhat unexpectedly in certain situations. You definitely have to be delicate with the throttle in the F80 when near the edge of traction. The G80 feels much more planted with the ability to rotate the car on demand with the throttle. The G80 also has much better turn in/front end grip as well. The F80 is also louder inside and not just motor noise. It has more tire roar, transmission noise, etc. The electronics are the difference of an iPhone 3 to an iPhone 13.

In general I would say it is not unreasonable to consider the F80 as a weekend car since it has more personality. Honestly though, as a weekend car I would be more likely to choose an E90 since it is the last of the high revving V8's and is even more connected to the driver. For a daily driver G80 all the way. BMW nailed the performance vs comfort balance perfectly. The only reason to go F80 as a daily would be based on cost and in this market there is not enough of a price difference to justify buying used.
Performance/ Comfort Balance is EXACTLY why I chose the G80x. It's checks all boxes for me.
Appreciate 2
Salespunk1745.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
      02-02-2022, 12:44 PM   #97
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Out early this (Saturday) morning when the common roadways tend to be pretty wide open

F82 pulled up next to me at stop light . . . before I continued straight and he turned left

Exchanged the usual thumbs-up between Bimmer owners

I sense we were both content with what we owned . . . at least I know that to be true in my case

That stated, not sure there is a car on the road I like more than the F82 when it comes to design architecture and road presence . . . BMW architects knocked it out of the ballpark with the F82 (and F80).

BMW engineers knocked it out of the park with the G80/82 performance.

///AVM
If only we could get the design architects and the engineers to do their best work concurrently, maybe the (honestly... very expected) loyalist besmirching would have been greatly diluted.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 11:23 PM   #98
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Just going to blindly add my $0.02 for OP. Haven't read the thread, but sold my F82 last year when trade in prices were starting to go nuts, then waited for my G82 xDrive order, and picked it up last August.

Upgrade on everything. Exterior styling does feel a smidge more "evolutionary" on the F82 and immediately aesthetically pleasing, especially when looking at pics of my old E92. But the G82 exterior styling is sporty and aggressive, grows on you, and I turn heads like it's a super car (even in BSM over Fiona). It's honestly only strange for a BMW. Other brands have been rocking huge grills for a while. Also, the exterior cues on the Ms are so much better than the regular 3 or 4 series, M sport or not.

Interior styling, technology, power, feel, etc. etc. etc. all feel like such a huge upgrade. The xDrive especially gives me total confidence in all weather driving in ways my F82 lacked.
Appreciate 2
02M3ForMe4261.50
      02-04-2022, 11:36 AM   #99
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post

I was originally looking at F80 but decided to go G80 because the second hand market is so nuts. I felt the F80 was over priced for a car that was out of warranty. For a similar monthly payment I got a G80 with no bad history or warranty worries.

Barry, great job on managing a similar monthly payment for the new car. And thanks again for your, and everyone else's comments and experiences concerning this. You have all completely convinced me that the G82 M4 Comp is clearly a far better car. In terms of superior performance, better technology, massive interior upgrade, availability of X-Drive, a full, new warranty, and everything else that it offers. And, regardless of how anyone or I feel about the snout of the G80 series, I was never truly enamored of the F80;s looks. It almost looked as though the design could have been penned by someone working for GM drawing up a new Camaro. It never looked like a tru BMW to me.
All that said, the situation has now become even more difficult for me given all of the above. This isn't a car I can lease, as it is a long term car. And by long term, I mean seven or eight years. It will be the last truly worthwhile car I will be able to afford given having been forced into early retirement, and a number of other things. In talking to my finance people again this morning I was again strongly advised to utilize the money that I have, in hand, from the sale of my previous sports car, to purchase whatever I decide to, with cash. They are much more concerned about limiting my monthly spend in the years ahead, so no car payments are a must.

As I noted before, $60k is my max budget, with an absolute limit of possibly, up to $65k, all in. No chance even if I wait a year, or even eighteen months, of that funding a G82 Comp with X-drive. So now, given how much all of your thoughts on the F80 vs the G80, I realize that I would never be happy defaulting to a G82m as I was considering previously. That essentially guarantees that I will have to purchase something non-BMW, which, as a huge long term BMW guy, pains me. But I simply cannot have the last car of any significance that I buy be a distant second choice to the G82 I would really want. So, a new search for non BMW options is the only real option.

Thanks again for clarifying so effectively the differences between the two. I would almost certainly have gone ahead with the purchase of an F82, and eventually become dissatisfied as I learned the definitive
superiority of the new model. You saved me from that fate.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 01:07 PM   #100
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Barry, great job on managing a similar monthly payment for the new car. And thanks again for your, and everyone else's comments and experiences concerning this. You have all completely convinced me that the G82 M4 Comp is clearly a far better car. In terms of superior performance, better technology, massive interior upgrade, availability of X-Drive, a full, new warranty, and everything else that it offers. And, regardless of how anyone or I feel about the snout of the G80 series, I was never truly enamored of the F80;s looks. It almost looked as though the design could have been penned by someone working for GM drawing up a new Camaro. It never looked like a tru BMW to me.
All that said, the situation has now become even more difficult for me given all of the above. This isn't a car I can lease, as it is a long term car. And by long term, I mean seven or eight years. It will be the last truly worthwhile car I will be able to afford given having been forced into early retirement, and a number of other things. In talking to my finance people again this morning I was again strongly advised to utilize the money that I have, in hand, from the sale of my previous sports car, to purchase whatever I decide to, with cash. They are much more concerned about limiting my monthly spend in the years ahead, so no car payments are a must.

As I noted before, $60k is my max budget, with an absolute limit of possibly, up to $65k, all in. No chance even if I wait a year, or even eighteen months, of that funding a G82 Comp with X-drive. So now, given how much all of your thoughts on the F80 vs the G80, I realize that I would never be happy defaulting to a G82m as I was considering previously. That essentially guarantees that I will have to purchase something non-BMW, which, as a huge long term BMW guy, pains me. But I simply cannot have the last car of any significance that I buy be a distant second choice to the G82 I would really want. So, a new search for non BMW options is the only real option.

Thanks again for clarifying so effectively the differences between the two. I would almost certainly have gone ahead with the purchase of an F82, and eventually become dissatisfied as I learned the definitive
Given your retirement, I would look at something that doesn't necessarily check the "fastest and newest" box, but has an emotional attachment. For me that would be a cherry picked, near perfect condition E46 M3 that you might spend some extra $$ for a low miles version… probably about $25-35k-ish. Then spend $$ on restoring and refreshing it as much as possible, doing all the mechanical and maintenance work etc and just drive it into retirement. I mean you could have a concourse level E46 for your budget.

I'm not near retirement, but I have been giving thought to that car I'll be driving into the sunset. As much as I'd like a full on sports car like a GT4, I can't imagine getting in and out of one after a certain age. An M3 might be the right fit.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 01:31 PM   #101
GGG333
m
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Quote:

"It will be the last truly worthwhile car I will be able to afford given having been forced into early retirement, and a number of other things. In talking to my finance people again this morning I was again strongly advised to utilize the money that I have, in hand, from the sale of my previous sports car, to purchase whatever I decide to, with cash. They are much more concerned about limiting my monthly spend in the years ahead, so no car payments are a must. "

Can you even truly call them "finance people" if they have given you such awful advice lol.

Why would you ever drop 65k in cash which is large capital , as a retiree on a liability.
Instead , grab the low APR loan. Make those payments easily and invest that large sum to make your loan payments 3 times over for the next 8 years.
( granted it's assumed you have cash flow or cash to make the payments in the meantime )

8 years from now your 65k car investment will be worth jack , but any blue chip stock will surely net you 3x gains at minimum.

But what do I know , I'm not a finance person :
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 02:46 PM   #102
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"It will be the last truly worthwhile car I will be able to afford given having been forced into early retirement, and a number of other things. In talking to my finance people again this morning I was again strongly advised to utilize the money that I have, in hand, from the sale of my previous sports car, to purchase whatever I decide to, with cash. They are much more concerned about limiting my monthly spend in the years ahead, so no car payments are a must. "

Can you even truly call them "finance people" if they have given you such awful advice lol.

Why would you ever drop 65k in cash which is large capital , as a retiree on a liability.
Instead , grab the low APR loan. Make those payments easily and invest that large sum to make your loan payments 3 times over for the next 8 years.
( granted it's assumed you have cash flow or cash to make the payments in the meantime )

8 years from now your 65k car investment will be worth jack , but any blue chip stock will surely net you 3x gains at minimum.

65k into btc 10 years ago would be today a cool 190,440,000 today.
Appreciate 1
GGG333603.50
      02-04-2022, 02:56 PM   #103
GGG333
m
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentMeister View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

65k into btc 10 years ago would be today a cool 190,440,000 today.
Yup , I didn't mention crypto because it's likely we will enter an extended bear market once this bull ends and it's all a gamble.

But an 8 year outlook , Nividia or Tesla. Drop the money , thank yourself later.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2022, 04:02 PM   #104
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Given your retirement, I would look at something that doesn't necessarily check the "fastest and newest" box, but has an emotional attachment. For me that would be a cherry picked, near perfect condition E46 M3 that you might spend some extra $$ for a low miles version… probably about $25-35k-ish. Then spend $$ on restoring and refreshing it as much as possible, doing all the mechanical and maintenance work etc and just drive it into retirement. I mean you could have a concourse level E46 for your budget.

I'm not near retirement, but I have been giving thought to that car I'll be driving into the sunset. As much as I'd like a full on sports car like a GT4, I can't imagine getting in and out of one after a certain age. An M3 might be the right fit.
Great advice on an E46. I had a 2005 with Competition package that I loved. I bought it with only 20k miles on it. It was as close to mint a car that was actually used could be. It also qualified for a full Dinan badge given that it had an upgraded Dinan suspension, cold air intake, complete exhaust and engine upgrade software. It was an E46 Competition, just better. in terms of performance I sold it for what was then a "good" price, about five years ago, in order to buy a car I had previously dreamed about, which a friend offered to me at a price I couldn't refuse.

As an example, a nice car, but entering the mileage area where some major replacement/and preventive maintenance investment would have to be made. And no Dinan mods at all:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

I would happily go back to that car, or it's equivalent, now. However, if you haven't noticed, that would possibly run me even more than $60k. Prices on nice E46's have skyrocketed. I recently checked in with the people Enthusiast Auto Group, the used M car experts. I bought the original from and they said that my exact car would be in the $70k range now!

Last edited by TWO-BMW; 02-04-2022 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
jmg18709.50
      02-04-2022, 04:13 PM   #105
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I appreciate the fact that you are offering what might otherwise be good basic financial thinking. However, you don't know my situation and its specifics. I can assure you that my financial people are among the best available. I am one of their least well to do clients. They tend to mange much higher level finances. There are also some rather complex reasons why I should be divesting myself of this money. I'm not about to disclose much in the way of personal information, obviously, but I could not choose to invest the $65k, those funds are the only means of a down payment, and actually making the monthly payments that would come with purchasing a new G82.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 04:17 PM   #106
corbs09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Quote:

The price of low mileage 17 and 18 comps doesn't make sense right now. You can get a G80 without some of the more expensive options for the same price if not ~5k ish more.
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      02-05-2022, 11:54 AM   #107
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbs09 View Post
The price of low mileage 17 and 18 comps doesn't make sense right now. You can get a G80 without some of the more expensive options for the same price if not ~5k ish more.
I understand the point you are trying to make, but the difference is far greater. I've found a number of 2017-2018 M4 Comps, low mileage and as new, for right around $60k, plus or minus a thousand or two. Thats $20k less than even a very basic G82.

In the end it's not really going to matter. All of the overwhelmingly positive comments people have made about how superior the G82 cars are has caused me to drop the idea entirely of buying a used 2017-18 car. I would never be satisfied knowing I had settled for a option that is a distant second. But again, there is also simply no way for me to afford a new G82. I'm attempting to look into other, non BMW options, because I really have no other choice. Which, on it's own is terribly disappointing, as I had always planned to make my last purchase of a truly special vehicle a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 07:49 PM   #108
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

There are a lot of special cars you can still get for that money. An M2C, perhaps? You could probably find one with some warranty left vs a 4 to 5 year-old M4. A Cayman from right before the 718 era, if you aren't worried about a warranty? Or even an early 718? With only 65k to spend, though, anything you buy probably HAS been replaced by something slightly better in some way shape or form. You might find a decent Evora floating around for that much.
Heck, you might be able to score an Alfa 4C...terrible on rough roads but I don't know anyone that drove one that didn't think it was special. I saw a '18 GT350 for sale for 64k the other day...

It's hard to see you being happy with your "one time, special toy" if you don't get to the point where you can buy what you can AND let go of what you couldn't. Compared to a random Corolla or Crosstrek, almost all of the sporty cars you could buy for 65k are special in their own way. Just let yourself enjoy the one you pick for what it is.

Best wishes, Two.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 08:44 PM   #109
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

What about an Alfa Quadrafoglio??!

Despite being a design that came out at the same time as the F80, it still beat the G80 in some test reviews.

It's a stunningly beautiful car also!

They can be had for under $60k but their reliability has been somewhat patchy so I would say an extended warranty would be advisable
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 11:46 PM   #110
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
There are a lot of special cars you can still get for that money. An M2C, perhaps? You could probably find one with some warranty left vs a 4 to 5 year-old M4. A Cayman from right before the 718 era, if you aren't worried about a warranty? Or even an early 718? With only 65k to spend, though, anything you buy probably HAS been replaced by something slightly better in some way shape or form. You might find a decent Evora floating around for that much.
Heck, you might be able to score an Alfa 4C...terrible on rough roads but I don't know anyone that drove one that didn't think it was special. I saw a '18 GT350 for sale for 64k the other day...

It's hard to see you being happy with your "one time, special toy" if you don't get to the point where you can buy what you can AND let go of what you couldn't. Compared to a random Corolla or Crosstrek, almost all of the sporty cars you could buy for 65k are special in their own way. Just let yourself enjoy the one you pick for what it is.

Best wishes, Two.
Thanks very much Bri1042. Some worthwhile thoughts on potential cars. and I appreciate your best wishes. As you have pointed out, I need to simply enjoy whatever I get for what it is, and forget what it isn't. Good advice.
Appreciate 0