BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

02-14-2022, 03:55 PM   #45
Irish_car_fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 xCC

I have a related M440i/M4 suspension/damping comparison question and it seems the folks in this thread might be best able to answer it.

I ordered (as most folks have to do nowadays with supply/demand situation) a G22 M440i xDrive (with Adaptive M Suspension option) before the G82 M4 xDrive Competition was available to order. The G22 is driven by both my wife and myself. I want to upgrade to M4.

However there are zero M4's at dealers within 100 miles of me that I can test drive and by all accounts the suspension/damping is stiffer/harsher in the M4. My only concern is that my wife, who couldn't care less about torque and bhp, will hate the ride comfort of the M4. Obviously I want her to love the M4 more than the M440i . Due to supply shortages I would literally have to order an M4 without test driving one.

So, to anyone here who has driven both M440i and M4 (or, assuming similar comparisons can be made, M340i and M3), how would you compare the suspension/damping/ride-comfort on M440i and M4?

For example would you say the "Comfort" setting in M4 is similar to the "Sport" setting in M440i, or harder. (assuming same Michelin PS4s on each and assuming I have the standard M4 seats, not the CF buckets)

Can anyone give insight on ride comfort comparison, feeling every bump or stone on the road, etc? Remember the only objective here is wife not preferring the M440i ride quality to the M4 ride quality. Would she even notice a difference?

FWIW, I live in Tampa Bay area and the roads I drive are in good shape without potholes.

Last edited by Irish_car_fan; 02-14-2022 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 09:12 PM   #46
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_car_fan View Post
have a related M440i/M4 suspension/damping comparison question and it seems the folks in this thread might be best able to answer it.

I ordered (as most folks have to do nowadays with supply/demand situation) a G22 M440i xDrive (with Adaptive M Suspension option) before the G82 M4 xDrive Competition was available to order. The G22 is driven by both my wife and myself. I want to upgrade to M4.

However there are zero M4's at dealers within 100 miles of me that I can test drive and by all accounts the suspension/damping is stiffer/harsher in the M4. My only concern is that my wife, who couldn't care less about torque and bhp, will hate the ride comfort of the M4. Obviously I want her to love the M4 more than the M440i . Due to supply shortages I would literally have to order an M4 without test driving one.

So, to anyone here who has driven both M440i and M4 (or, assuming similar comparisons can be made, M340i and M3), how would you compare the suspension/damping/ride-comfort on M440i and M4?

For example would you say the "Comfort" setting in M4 is similar to the "Sport" setting in M440i, or harder. (assuming same Michelin PS4s on each and assuming I have the standard M4 seats, not the CF buckets)

Can anyone give insight on ride comfort comparison, feeling every bump or stone on the road, etc? Remember the only objective here is wife not preferring the M440i ride quality to the M4 ride quality. Would she even notice a difference?

FWIW, I live in Tampa Bay area and the roads I drive are in good shape without potholes.
I came from a Seven Series and also drove the 340 and 330i cars. My M3 is very liveable and the other cars I drove and had, did not have adaptive suspension. Although the suspension in my M3 is more rigid, it does not crash over bumps. I quite like it and the handling along with suspension is more confidence inspiring. If this makes sense, when I hit a small pothole or imperfection, my butt cheeks don't pucker.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 11:03 PM   #47
Grumpy514
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3X

Garage List
I cross shopped the M550i & M5.....there was a big difference.

The M550i felt amazing when driving, but the moment my ass hit the seats in the M5 you could tell it was something special. Not to mention the presence it brings just by looking at the vehicle from the outside. Beefier body, larger rims & brake rotors. Inside the steering wheel felt more premium, the seats looked like captains chairs and just grabbed you as you sat down. The sound the car made & the difference in speed between the two.

There is a clear difference between an M car and non-M car.
Appreciate 2
kjx3197.00
JPM-3219.00
      02-18-2022, 08:12 AM   #48
Flying05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Looks alone are far superior. Can't even compare. BMW has watered down the M badging of cars and makes me sick. I get the reason from their standpoint, but damn. At least they made the new M3/4 with different front ends other than just typical body changes here and there.
Joachim328.00
      12-19-2023, 04:07 PM   #49
Irish_car_fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 xCC

Having had the M4 for 11 months now, here are my thoughts on M440i vs M4.

First both cars are simply amazing and a pleasure to drive. Here are the differences I noticed....

(1) M440i has seat belt extension arm. M4 doesn't. Not a big deal. You learn quickly to lower your hand down to the side to grab the belt instead of reaching over your shoulder.
(2) The M440i seems a bit quieter inside at highway speeds than the M4. My guess is that some cabin sound insulation has been removed to reduce weight of M4. Only truly noticeable at highway speeds on some lower grade roads that don't have smooth tarmac.
(3) The M4 suspension is more firm and stiff than the M440i. It seems M4 comfort suspension is about the same as sport or even sport plus in the M440i. M4 comfort is just fine though. At higher speeds on corners, closer to the limit, the M4 sport suspension and chassis gives confident and amazing handling whereas the M440i stock suspension in sport does not handle as well when pushing hard. This is not saying the M440i is bad handling by any means. It is superb and was exhiliarating and thrilling on twisty Blue Ridge mountain roads. Nothing unexpected here. The M4 should be better.
(4) The M440i with its B58 engine with its single pathway turbo design has a much nicer exhaust sound incuding better pops than the M4 S58 with its 2 separate turbos and twin exhausts. The M4 needs to be in Sport Plus engine setting to get some decent sound, but the M440i in sport plus still sounds nicer IMHO.
(5) Both cars are rapid. Period. Sure the M4 is a bit faster, but for every day driving neither will dissappoint.
(6) The progammability and configurability of the M1/M2 buttons on the M4 is a really nice plus for the M4 over the M440i.

Overall both M440i and M4 are amazing cars to drive. Which one should you pick? The one that fits your budget. Neither will dissapoint.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2023, 07:49 PM   #50
/ / / M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Duplicate post
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 07:52 PM   #51
/ / / M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

The G80/G82 does not ride harsh, even on our terrible Ontario roads. It's not a soft ride either, and you do feel bumps and imperfection in the road, but not in a jarring way. Basically, it's the best of both world. You feel road but don't get your ass kicked by it.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 09:30 AM   #52
GA/\/\/\/\A_CT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘20 m340ix

A few considerations as an m340 driver.

Chassis is more stiff and capable on the g80
Wider tires on the g80
Better differential
To get to 600whp is possible on an m340 but costs about $10-15k and will leave you with less brakes, chassis performance or tire grip than a g80. Not to mention when you go to sell that modded g20 you will take a further hit…

That said, a stock m340ix will gap a stock rwd m3/4 off the line and probably stay ahead until 100mph. The powerband on the m340 is probably better for 60% driving, the suspension is more forgiving on harsh roads and fuel economy is like +10mpg on the highway.
Appreciate 1