BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

09-08-2019, 08:22 PM   #155
M 4EVER
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240/M5/X3

I want the new M3 but I just have a hard time with that grill.
Not so excited as I was with F80 when it came out.

It's hard to enjoy if you are not excited about the car.

I don't like US cars but the new corvette is
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 08:36 PM   #156
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
At this point IDGAF about the kidneys I'm more horrified at everything else going on with that front end. Yikes.
Same here. It just looks so bloated and bulbous. When the grilles go that far down the bumper, there's only so much you can do. It seems like you can pretty much only do what Audi does and put a little "mouth" underneath it, and a couple trapezoidal shaped intakes on the left and right and call it a day. I'm sure BMW will write up some stuff about aerodynamics, but if the 3, 5, and 7 eventually follow this design language, I'm afraid the cars will look even more "same sausage" than it currently does. I think Audi is the poster child of that currently.
Appreciate 2
Miko M6648.50
      09-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #157
stealth-twntrbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 740xi

God the kidney grills are so ugly
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2019, 08:55 PM   #158
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

Quote:
At this point IDGAF about the kidneys I'm more horrified at everything else going on with that front end. Yikes.
The whole package is an abomination. What a shame.
      09-08-2019, 08:57 PM   #159
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post
Quote:
Same here. It just looks so bloated and bulbous. When the grilles go that far down the bumper, there's only so much you can do. It seems like you can pretty much only do what Audi does and put a little "mouth" underneath it, and a couple trapezoidal shaped intakes on the left and right and call it a day. I'm sure BMW will write up some stuff about aerodynamics, but if the 3, 5, and 7 eventually follow this design language, I'm afraid the cars will look even more "same sausage" than it currently does. I think Audi is the poster child of that currently.
FWIW, the new 7's front grills are already large and obnoxious. I absolutely hate the front end of the new 7.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 09:09 PM   #160
WillSkill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 335i

Garage List
Well I'm definitely not a fan
2013 Alpine White 335i -M Sport/// Akrapovic Catback Exhaust/// KW Street Comfort Coilovers/// BMS intake/// JB4/// ER front mount intercooler/// ER Charge pipe/// ER catless downpipe/// 18" Apex Arc-8 in Anthracite/// Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 09:10 PM   #161
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M 4EVER View Post

The F80 brought a lot of core changes with forced injection, EPS, loss of cylinders etc. It was exciting in a very scary way. Another dimension more scary than large kidney grills...

This time all we have to talk about is the grills since the rest of the upgrades are dead boring. Near identical engine type and size, a slight raise in hp, the suspension is likely to be very similar and everything else that matters.

If it wasn’t for the grills saving they day this would be the most boring new M3 update in history

Slightly exaggerated of course to make a point since we have slush box and AWD coming...but again no one talks about that anymore, it’s all about the grills.

Last edited by solstice; 09-08-2019 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24809.50
BigHunk269.50
Poochie9099.00
      09-08-2019, 09:11 PM   #162
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

These don't look THAT bad. The grills in this interpretation seem to fit the g83 body style better than on the 4 coupe. It looks better with blacked out trim and dark colors too.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 09:16 PM   #163
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Quote:

The F80 brought a lot of core changes with forced injection, EPS, loss of cylinders etc. It was exciting in a very scary way. Another dimension more scary than large kidney grills...

This time all we have to talk about is the grills since the rest of the upgrades are dead boring. Near identical engine type and size, a slight raise in hp, the suspension is likely to be very similar and everything else that matters.

If it wasn't for the grills saving they day this would be the most boring new M3 update in history
When bmw introduces big changes, everyone gets upset and proclaims that they've lost their way and the previous generation was the last real M3, 3 series, or whatever. When they make more subtle changes, people complain that it's boring. They simply can't win. Bmw enthusiasts will always complain about the newest chassis installment. If Isaac Newton was still alive, he could proclaim it as his 4th law.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      09-08-2019, 09:17 PM   #164
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Fixed it
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 09:18 PM   #165
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
These don't look THAT bad. The grills in this interpretation seem to fit the g83 body style better than on the 4 coupe. It looks better with blacked out trim and dark colors too.
I, too, think the vert in the render looks fitting.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 09:24 PM   #166
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Quote:
Oh really?
What Scott was saying is actually the opposite intent of what you're saying... he was saying that by BMW leaving the regular G30 grills in place on top it was a funny way of leaving the true grills exposed at the bottom while having non-believers think they had their "gotcha! Told ya so" moment.

The big grills were mentioned almost 2 years ago on this forum... those that paid attention knew this was coming for a while now.
I get what you are saying but how reputable was the big grills mention of this forum 2 years ago. Plus, whose to say that they will be this sharp edged thin slat design as rendered? So far I havent seen this confirmed, so I still take it as a guess. Also they look so bad that its hard to believe, especially if you imagine US plates as I alluded to.

Bmw could still be laughing their ass off as we make renders like this when the M grill wont be nearly this radical.
It is VERY easy to see in these spy shots that the render is nearly spot on. You can remain in denial if you want; it's bliss I'm sure.

P.S. BMW doesn't give a damn about how our U.S. plates will look on the car. That's our problem, not theirs.
Thanks for posting the spy shot, it does add credibility to the rumors and renders. To your point about us plates being our problem, sure but if it means less buyers then it kinda is bmws problem. But who am I to say what people will like. Seems there are more dislikers than likers of these renders, maybe a poll would help
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 09:26 PM   #167
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
The render matches this camo'd car, but isn't the idea of all the camo to hide the final product? that's the part I'm stuck on... they can put whatever they want on the test car and hiding the final product is supposedly* a goal of theirs. Just like the other aspects of the exposed car (hood, wheels, etc) ..

And yes, I'm making arguments and that support this car NOT looking like the render because I think it's really ugly and really am hoping it doesn't look that way. Bigger grilles? Maybe. Shockingly big and ugly? I have to doubt that because I would think the team would be smarter than that. lol.
These are photos of the camouflaged F8X from 2013. The car didn't change, so why should we kid ourselves into believing that the new car somehow will?
I can't and won't argue that at all. The newest grilles almost look like two sets of grilles though the lower ones being more prominent ... I know it was speculated that it was done to conceal the big grilles but if they're still play games with the grilles then how can you trust any of it? Or not trust the newest photos?

I still am under the impression that what we get will be something not entirely like either the render or the newest photo because it seems like there's some Tom Foolery going on.

Since we are taking sides and making this a "you have to pick one" ... I'll still side with the less ridiculous evolutionary change. lol.

Appreciate 1
      09-08-2019, 09:30 PM   #168
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
FWIW, the new 7's front grills are already large and obnoxious. I absolutely hate the front end of the new 7.
Yeah but those things are like training wheel grilles tacked onto an LCI lol. I'm assuming the next gen is going to have the floor to ceiling grille
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 09:32 PM   #169
dpgfunk
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Yea thats gunna be a no for me dawg
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2019, 09:33 PM   #170
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
In terms of the US plate? How does the Alfa Romeo Guilia work in the US? In Europe the plate is offset, classic Alfa if truth be told.

Again I have not seen how the Grilles work with the M3/M4 but this should be rectified fairly soon.
But there could be some truth on how the interpretation of the intakes,curtains and aerodynamics are formed.
A new interpretation of the current M look. It seems to fit.
Good insight thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 09:35 PM   #171
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:

Vette is SICK but the no manual thing takes a lot of fun out of it and really sucks. Would be a heck of a track car though ... especially interested in a Grand sport variant or Z06 although not really sure I need/want all that power at the track honestly.

basically the most perfect car for me is a manual 992 ... prefer the GT3 but like having a back seat so my little kiddos can go for a ride with me ... GT3 with back seat in manual and at MSRP would be ideal. Doesn't exist. M3 is great for track, manual for fun, space for kids. Otherwise I'll just get a dedicated track car and suv/truck to tow it.

Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      09-08-2019, 09:46 PM   #172
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Quote:
Oh really?
What Scott was saying is actually the opposite intent of what you're saying... he was saying that by BMW leaving the regular G30 grills in place on top it was a funny way of leaving the true grills exposed at the bottom while having non-believers think they had their "gotcha! Told ya so" moment.

The big grills were mentioned almost 2 years ago on this forum... those that paid attention knew this was coming for a while now.
I get what you are saying but how reputable was the big grills mention of this forum 2 years ago. Plus, whose to say that they will be this sharp edged thin slat design as rendered? So far I havent seen this confirmed, so I still take it as a guess. Also they look so bad that its hard to believe, especially if you imagine US plates as I alluded to.

Bmw could still be laughing their ass off as we make renders like this when the M grill wont be nearly this radical.
It is VERY easy to see in these spy shots that the render is nearly spot on. You can remain in denial if you want; it's bliss I'm sure.

P.S. BMW doesn't give a damn about how our U.S. plates will look on the car. That's our problem, not theirs.
Thanks for posting the spy shot, it does add credibility to the rumors and renders. To your point about us plates being our problem, sure but if it means less buyers then it kinda is bmws problem. But who am I to say what people will like. Seems there are more dislikers than likers of these renders, maybe a poll would help
I believe that every automaker assumes a certain level of risk when making drastic changes, but in their defense, their analyses must've shown that the people wanted change (...as much as it had shown that wagons wouldn't sell and SUV's are where the market is at......despite all of us enthusiasts liking wagons). Companies are willing to lose/sacrifice and disappoint a certain segment of buyers in order to cater to a segment that might produce more buyers/profit.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 09:47 PM   #173
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Vette is SICK but the no manual thing takes a lot of fun out of it and really sucks. Would be a heck of a track car though ... especially interested in a Grand sport variant or Z06 although not really sure I need/want all that power at the track honestly.

basically the most perfect car for me is a manual 992 ... prefer the GT3 but like having a back seat so my little kiddos can go for a ride with me ... GT3 with back seat in manual and at MSRP would be ideal. Doesn't exist. M3 is great for track, manual for fun, space for kids. Otherwise I'll just get a dedicated track car and suv/truck to tow it.
GT3 with a manual is my dream car too. I'm sure that you might be able to obtain a GT3 at MSRP from Porsche of Idaho.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 09:51 PM   #174
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The render matches this camo'd car, but isn't the idea of all the camo to hide the final product? that's the part I'm stuck on... they can put whatever they want on the test car and hiding the final product is supposedly* a goal of theirs. Just like the other aspects of the exposed car (hood, wheels, etc) ..

And yes, I'm making arguments and that support this car NOT looking like the render because I think it's really ugly and really am hoping it doesn't look that way. Bigger grilles? Maybe. Shockingly big and ugly? I have to doubt that because I would think the team would be smarter than that. lol.
These are photos of the camouflaged F8X from 2013. The car didn't change, so why should we kid ourselves into believing that the new car somehow will?
I can't and won't argue that at all. The newest grilles almost look like two sets of grilles though the lower ones being more prominent ... I know it was speculated that it was done to conceal the big grilles but if they're still play games with the grilles then how can you trust any of it? Or not trust the newest photos?

I still am under the impression that what we get will be something not entirely like either the render or the newest photo because it seems like there's some Tom Foolery going on.

Since we are taking sides and making this a "you have to pick one" ... I'll still side with the less ridiculous evolutionary change. lol.
...and that, my friend Switzerland, is why you're on my list in italics. You're coming around to jettisoning the denial that you're grasping ahold of oh so tightly, but you're not quite there yet. Patience my friend. The hope that remains will be rinsed away in just a few short hours. We can then have a rational conversation about how you're going to spec your nostril'd ///M3 or ///M4.
Appreciate 2
      09-08-2019, 09:57 PM   #175
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Fixed it
Nothing will fix it.

It's better be BMW trolling, or they are playing with fire.
They've played with the fire and are already wearing turnouts. You boys better put yours on.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 10:00 PM   #176
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Fixed it
Nothing will fix it.

I like how the tread title says... "MAY BE STYLED"

It better be BMW trolling, or they're absolutely playing with fire.