BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-06-2021, 08:37 AM   #23
Cail4827
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

Ive driven around a lot in the Washington DC Area and Northern Virginia and have gotten lots of looks and every fill up at the gas station has led to a discussion.

Im always happy to talk to anyone who wants to talk. Lots of people who have a BMW but aren't familiar with this car ask to look at the interior and all have liked it. I haven't had one person yet say anything negative to me about it.

Black Exterior

Last edited by Cail4827; 05-06-2021 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 08:48 AM   #24
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
In a non creepy way, it'd be sweet if he can go for a ride. I remember back in '98 my first ride was a E36 M3 Techno Violet on white Vader seats. The initiation of my love affair with BMW.

The ride was from my neighbor who used to buy used high end BMWs and flip them.

Now it's the creepy neighbor offering a 12-year old boy a ride. In the 90s it was the coolest neighbor on the planet.

How times have changed lol, back then it would have been a nice gesture. Today well.....
      05-06-2021, 09:02 AM   #25
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
How times have changed lol, back then it would have been a nice gesture. Today well.....
Times and the actual risks haven't changed, people are just aware that the neighbor is creepy (not saying our forum friend here is creepy...but in general).

People are the same as they ever have been.

Edit: MOST people aren't creepy. But parents are more aware of the risks, and less willing to take them now. Some of it is over-reaction, but a lot of bad stuff happened in the old days (including decades before the 90's) that folk got away with that they wouldn't anymore. So a good thing?
Appreciate 2
EXE462097.00
      05-06-2021, 11:05 AM   #26
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
The problem with the F8x to me was always that it just looked like another BMW. A nice BMW but the average person wouldn't even give it a 2nd look. These cars have much more presence as they stand out and people can't help but notice them.
Yea, other than my F82 being YMB I would tell people that one of the things that I sometimes liked about it compared to the Corvette my C6, C7 and now C8 owning parents have tried to talk me into, is that the car could go under the radar if you didn't know what you were looking at. Some people with a keen eye might notice that it looked a little more sporty than the average car, but to most other people it was just a BMW. Apparently the G8x is different in that regard?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 11:09 AM   #27
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
My SPY M3 reactions have been positive out in the real world. The only negative reactions are from the "BMW enthusiasts" online that seem to look for any opportunity to share an opinion no one asked for.

My wife said she drove by an accident involving a few cars and there was a guy crouched on the side of the road with his head in his arms. As she was passing by, he lifted his head up and give a thumbs up.

Another day as she was pulling into Trader Joe's where they have an employee by the front door counting the number of people going in and out, my wife noticed the woman that was covering that role was staring at her as she drove through the lot to park. While going in, she asked what kind of car it was and that she liked the color.

I went to a different store for a curbside pick up and the lady that delivered the item only said "I really like your car."

I had a few other comments like that in parking lots, pictures taken of the car while driving or parked, excited people making motions to get me to rev up the engine or launch it from a stop.

It's unusual for me to get so many (positive) comments about the car, unexpectedly many of them coming from women that don't seem to be into cars. Our only other experience with a car getting any attention is our Volvo XC90 back in 2016 when the new model wasn't common. We also had the Overseas Delivery sticker on until I took it off a month later because (older) couples kept knocking on the windows to talk about the OSD experience and purchasing process as if we were Volvo's representatives for the program. That's not quite comparable.

The only attention my Alpine White E92 M3 gets is when it has a tow strap installed on the way to or coming back from a track day. Those straps are great at attracting middle aged men.
I was a little embarrassed one day a few years ago when I was in a parking lot with my already warmed up F82 and a kid wanted me to rev it to hear the engine. So I obliged and thought the kid must have been thinking, wow, that's all you got? I kept trying to make it sound impressive, but to no avail. It was certainly no e92 V8.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 11:58 AM   #28
GeorgePapamitrou
Kifissia
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 (G80)

Garage List
Same reaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowboy85 View Post
Let’s see about 6 car meets and three track days the main comment I hear is “ it looks so much better in person” to “it’s so aggressive looking”. So overall from car people if that’s a thing lol everyone seems to like it. Brooklyn grey btw
I agree. I am getting the same feedback. Same color with orange bucket seats.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 01:00 PM   #29
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

I generally look straight ahead when I’m driving, but I looked over a few days ago in prep for an exit and there was a late-20s/early-30s guy with a big smile on his face trying to get my attention throwing an enthusiastic thumbs up, so now I’ve started looking more often to be as courteous as possible and avoid inadvertently ignoring fellow admirers.

I’ve had multiple situations where I’ve punched it getting on the highway and other cars speed up to pull alongside and give thumbs up.

I’d say about 50% of curbside pickups involve an overt “Nice car!” reaction.

The only potentially negative reaction came from an F82 driver on the highway. We’re driving along in heavy rain and he came up behind me at speed, swerved around and in front of me, then almost immediately swerved across 4 lanes to make an exit.

I’ve come across an OG M2 on a curvy road (thumbs up), M2C in town (thumbs up), and an F90 M5 Competition (thumbs up, brief chat, and impromptu “performance comparison”). Also, had a random fun encounter with a 992 Convertible in the middle of the night - very capable car.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 01:09 PM   #30
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Car people KNOW the car. I've had non-car friends be like "oh you got a new car, looks nice". People that know cars are literally giddy with excitement when they see it. I've been shocked though at how many BMW owners have no idea about the car. People will strike up a conversation about it because they recognize it as new, but they'll have no idea what an M3 is even though they're driving a decently new 3 series or something. Just seems odd to me

There is one other new M3 in my neighborhood that I see out occasionally, and I always flash my lights and wave excitedly at him thinking he will be equally excited about his new M3. He always looks at me like I'm demented, so :
Appreciate 3
Scorp!on1510.00
Der_Wolf888.00
DHDCF282.00
      05-06-2021, 01:21 PM   #31
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
I generally look straight ahead when I’m driving, but I looked over a few days ago in prep for an exit and there was a late-20s/early-30s guy with a big smile on his face trying to get my attention throwing an enthusiastic thumbs up, so now I’ve started looking more often to be as courteous as possible and avoid inadvertently ignoring fellow admirers.

I’ve had multiple situations where I’ve punched it getting on the highway and other cars speed up to pull alongside and give thumbs up.

I’d say about 50% of curbside pickups involve an overt “Nice car!” reaction.

The only potentially negative reaction came from an F82 driver on the highway. We’re driving along in heavy rain and he came up behind me at speed, swerved around and in front of me, then almost immediately swerved across 4 lanes to make an exit.

I’ve come across an OG M2 on a curvy road (thumbs up), M2C in town (thumbs up), and an F90 M5 Competition (thumbs up, brief chat, and impromptu “performance comparison”). Also, had a random fun encounter with a 992 Convertible in the middle of the night - very capable car.
I've experienced the f8x superiority complex as well
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 02:59 PM   #32
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
Car people KNOW the car. I've had non-car friends be like "oh you got a new car, looks nice". People that know cars are literally giddy with excitement when they see it. I've been shocked though at how many BMW owners have no idea about the car. People will strike up a conversation about it because they recognize it as new, but they'll have no idea what an M3 is even though they're driving a decently new 3 series or something. Just seems odd to me

There is one other new M3 in my neighborhood that I see out occasionally, and I always flash my lights and wave excitedly at him thinking he will be equally excited about his new M3. He always looks at me like I'm demented, so :
I believe those are the soccer mom, cars for the masses types that BMW is targeting these days. They are just happy to have a Roundel on their used 128 or X3. No offense to the 128/X3 crowd.

Because my last car was YMB and this one is a 'in the same ballpark as far as my average coworker is concerned' Enzian blue I'm guessing a good portion of people won't have a clue I got a new car. It's just the same smurf blue BMW I have had for years. I've shown pics of the car to a few people and they say, "oh, you're getting the same color."
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 12:32 PM   #33
wazzza
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80x M3C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamion117 View Post
The ugly grille that people are referring to when they say "In person" its ok...I have a g82 and I love the front grille but I always do wonder if people mean it when they say they like it lmao
lol true maybe it's too rude to say it's ugly in person ... well, I don't care haha .. I love it.
      05-07-2021, 04:20 PM   #34
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (2014), M3 (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Times and the actual risks haven't changed, people are just aware that the neighbor is creepy (not saying our forum friend here is creepy...but in general).

People are the same as they ever have been.

Edit: MOST people aren't creepy. But parents are more aware of the risks, and less willing to take them now. Some of it is over-reaction, but a lot of bad stuff happened in the old days (including decades before the 90's) that folk got away with that they wouldn't anymore. So a good thing?
24 hour news and social media have a lot to do with this, I'd say. Someone in Seattle gets food poisoning after eating some mail order fish and you might hear about it these days. It's not good; not entirely, anyway
Appreciate 2
EXE462097.00
      05-07-2021, 04:37 PM   #35
Bimmr7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/G80 M3 Comp on Ord

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
2010 BMW 335 M Sport  [0.00]
I’ve met more people in my little German village since getting this car. Everyone wants to stop by to see it and talk about it. They don’t bat an eye at the White E92 M3 sitting in front of it. Lol
Appreciate 1
Der_Wolf888.00
      05-07-2021, 04:37 PM   #36
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jproos View Post
24 hour news and social media have a lot to do with this, I'd say. Someone in Seattle gets food poisoning after eating some mail order fish and you might hear about it these days. It's not good; not entirely, anyway
Yep. In the past, there were only so many inches of paper to print on, and only so many minutes of news on the 3 channels we could tune to with our fun rabbit ears.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 06:20 PM   #37
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jproos View Post
Yep. In the past, there were only so many inches of paper to print on, and only so many minutes of news on the 3 channels we could tune to with our fun rabbit ears.
Right l, and now so many people are afraid of so many things thanks to hearing about bad news all day and seeing the garbage on social media. It's not a great state of affairs, sadly.

Anyway, that's enough ranting from me.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 06:23 PM   #38
Zoli007
Professional lurker
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 2016 MCB M3 sold =(

I have to say I was one of the ones posting barf emojis and saying omg disgusting at every picture I saw of the car. But, I did always say from the very beginning that it looked amazing from literally every angle but the front. But today someone posted a pic of a fire orange one, and combined with the few that I've seen in the wild......I like them now. Even the front, it's not my favorite but I don't hate it as much as I originally did.
      05-10-2021, 07:14 AM   #39
JKSouthFlorida
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5, 2021 M4Comp, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
This question was buried in the middle of one of the long threads so I thought I'd make it into its own thread for people to chime in as they get their cars.

What kind of reactions are you receiving on your car from family, friends, other drivers, people on the street, parking lots, etc?

And maybe throw in what color you have for the heck of it. What kind of reaction does SPY get vs something like a more "normal" white?
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
This question was buried in the middle of one of the long threads so I thought I'd make it into its own thread for people to chime in as they get their cars.

What kind of reactions are you receiving on your car from family, friends, other drivers, people on the street, parking lots, etc?

And maybe throw in what color you have for the heck of it. What kind of reaction does SPY get vs something like a more "normal" white?
Been driving my M4 Brooklyn Grey for 3 weeks. Absolutely getting a lot of attention. 20-35 year old males are especially into the car. Posing with it in pictures, waiting in the rain to ask questions about it. Saying they "love the color". The grill haters are a very silent bunch. I picture them bitching like old men under their breath. I have yet to even overhear a negative comment. The car looks much better in person and much better from a higher angle. I'm at the beach and the sunsets and clean backgrounds of sand, water and the horizon really highlight the design of the car. I am a graphic designer by trade and purposely chose this car based on my reaction to the design language. I love when an established brand takes chances and flexes into the future. I feel like all previous BMW's I see with the kidney grills look... dare I say... kind of dated? Anyway, people hate change and creative people are the ones who gladly bear the burden of driving evolution and sometimes revolution... something I appreciate as a designer and enthusiast of design. So, I guess I like driving "aesthetic controversy".... especially when you have a huge smile on your face from within it. The car is phenomenally capable and infinitely adaptable. Initially you drive it like a sports car with all settings to match but then start playing with other configurations. I'm left handed so my M1 lever is set to '"all out" and my right is set to comfort and cruise. At night, driving in complete pitch black, on Sanibel Island I realized how comfortable the car is. The experience is so beautifully precise and those laser lights are so awesome. Bending to corners, adjusting high and low beams so elegantly and precisely, while your favorite tunes play and you are wrapped in LED lighting. It's a moment to enjoy. Then in the next moment, you are spanking a 911 while giving them a head start. To me a sports coupe is all about range and this one has it on multiple fronts. So my reaction to the grill haters is that we should all back our cars into every parking space worldwide with pride! Hope everyone who has their car is feeling the same way as I am. It's pretty f-in terrific!
bri10425748.00
02M3ForMe4255.50
mmckenzie216.50
heavyD^23684.00
AlterZgo1537.50
CanuckM665.50
      05-10-2021, 08:36 AM   #40
GoFastGoFish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC , 2020 X5, 2021 JLU

This is exactly my feelings.. it's funny because if you look through the history of vintage BMW racers.. look at the grilles.. I think all the small kidney grille and toaster oven lines crowd should take a look back at history..

First this car is a blast to drive.. for some reason.. it makes me feel like I am driving a budget 911.. ( I know that sounds bad).. Brooklyn Grey gets a ton of attention on mine as well.. I have seen other older Ms with their jaws dropped as they pass me (whether good or bad ).. I am happy there was a design update.. I wouldn't have purchased one without it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSouthFlorida View Post
Been driving my M4 Brooklyn Grey for 3 weeks. Absolutely getting a lot of attention. 20-35 year old males are especially into the car. Posing with it in pictures, waiting in the rain to ask questions about it. Saying they "love the color". The grill haters are a very silent bunch. I picture them bitching like old men under their breath. I have yet to even overhear a negative comment. The car looks much better in person and much better from a higher angle. I'm at the beach and the sunsets and clean backgrounds of sand, water and the horizon really highlight the design of the car. I am a graphic designer by trade and purposely chose this car based on my reaction to the design language. I love when an established brand takes chances and flexes into the future. I feel like all previous BMW's I see with the kidney grills look... dare I say... kind of dated? Anyway, people hate change and creative people are the ones who gladly bear the burden of driving evolution and sometimes revolution... something I appreciate as a designer and enthusiast of design. So, I guess I like driving "aesthetic controversy".... especially when you have a huge smile on your face from within it. The car is phenomenally capable and infinitely adaptable. Initially you drive it like a sports car with all settings to match but then start playing with other configurations. I'm left handed so my M1 lever is set to '"all out" and my right is set to comfort and cruise. At night, driving in complete pitch black, on Sanibel Island I realized how comfortable the car is. The experience is so beautifully precise and those laser lights are so awesome. Bending to corners, adjusting high and low beams so elegantly and precisely, while your favorite tunes play and you are wrapped in LED lighting. It's a moment to enjoy. Then in the next moment, you are spanking a 911 while giving them a head start. To me a sports coupe is all about range and this one has it on multiple fronts. So my reaction to the grill haters is that we should all back our cars into every parking space worldwide with pride! Hope everyone who has their car is feeling the same way as I am. It's pretty f-in terrific!
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4255.50
      05-10-2021, 11:38 AM   #41
My8thMandcounting
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I get a ton of positive reactions - several people pull out cameras to take pictures. The IOMG is such a unique color that it draws a lot of looks. Had someone ask me if it was a wrap color. Sometimes I get comments that are really just on the color and less on the car when I'm pumping gas. As unique looking as the car is, it seems that reactions vary by those who know it's an M3 and those who just like seeing a green car.
Appreciate 1
maelfyn153.50
      05-10-2021, 08:51 PM   #42
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep

I've been video'd twice and received quite a few positive comments. I also see a lot of heads turning to have a look, when I'm paying any attention.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 08:22 PM   #43
dJt3xtbook
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post
I don't get much attention as my car is black.

But until know I basically just drove to work and back home
But at work a lot of people wrote me and complimented after seeing it outside

And also when I'm cleaning sometimes people come over to take a look and say "in person it's really a good looking car".

BSM G82 owner here. Almost got the SPY, but I'm not the 'flashy' type so this works out better for me.

I work from home, so I don't get out often (meager 500ish miles in the first month + of ownership so far), but already had a few encounters/reactions.

1. Pulled into a Ralph's (grocery store) parking lot and I got out of the car. A Mercedes-Maybach GLS suddenly brakes shortly after passing behind me and the driver rolls down his window. Asked if it was the new M4 and I said yes. Asked how I felt about the new front grill and I said I personally liked it. My girlfriend is normally slow to get out of the car and she finally opens her door to reveal the Kyalami Orange interior and he commented on it. Then he asked me if I got the carbon bucket seats and I said no, to which he responds, "Probably hard to find, huh?" This wasn't the case, but I didn't have a chance to explain as he was blocking the pathway for other cars, so he just pulled away.

2. Went to a place to get my car tinted. Another customer was already there getting his Porsche Cayman tinted. While I was talking to the employee about what kind of tint I wanted, I see the Cayman owner walking around my G82 outside and checking it out.

3. Another market story. Went to a Trader Joe's and was putting my groceries into my trunk. Some other BMW owner was parked a few spots away from me and asked me if it was the new M4 and how I felt about the new grill. Same replies as #1 above. Then he asked me if I got the manual and I said yes, to which he replied....that's how you gotta do it!

4. Parked in a large public parking lot while going to Buffalo Wild Wings. While walking back to my car, I saw a couple of younger folk (late teens, early 20s) circling around it. Not really a great sign when you're in a somewhat sketchy area of Los Angeles and had just witnessed a street fight outside, so adrenaline was high. However, as my girlfriend and I were walking closer, we can hear that these kids were just admiring my car. Couldn't really catch most of what they were saying, but they sounded excited and the one thing I did hear was, "OH, it's a 6 speed too!". Then they saw us approaching and walked off in the other direction. However, as I backed out of my spot, I could see through my rearview camera that their car was only a few spots away and they were still staring at and admiring my car. Just for that, I hit the M2 button (my most aggressive setting), pushed the clutch in and gave them a few revs which they seemed to enjoy.
Appreciate 4
02M3ForMe4255.50
heavyD^23684.00
Scorp!on1510.00
maelfyn153.50
      05-11-2021, 08:48 PM   #44
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

I need to start paying more attention; I’ve probably inadvertently ignored a handful of admirers.

Within 5 blocks of driving away with my windows open, a guy in a standard late-model hatchback with his windows also down yelled, “Nice car!” as we crossed paths. I think he saw the grille.
Appreciate 0