BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-26-2021, 03:24 PM   #1
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

Child car seats?

Looking to see if anyone has any recommendations for a car seat for my M3. I have a 4 year old who likes to go on dives with me so I want to get her something that is comfortable and fits the car well.

In addition to the actual seat, does anyone have any tips for padding or protectors to use? These seats tend to to dimple and compress the seat pretty badly so I want to see what I can do to avoid it
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 03:48 PM   #2
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
I haven't come across good padding or protection that looks safe to fit underneath a seat, but that doesn't mean there is one out there. I'm not even trying anymore since those compression marks that eventually go away.

Safety should be the priority over avoiding damage to the seat, so I would contact the company for your preferred seat manufacturer and ask them for recommendations.

I've found a car seat that has thicker edges (contact area) to distribute to pressure over more area and not cut into it seat due to thin edges. The seats with thin edges do stick to the seat better and not slide around. Depending on the car seat, the guidance is usually that they should not be able to move around side to side at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 04:27 PM   #3
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

I have a Graco in mine, was the same one I had in the F80. It does leave an indentation in the seat but it does return to normal after a while. Using a seat cover under it is not recommended due to safety.

As far as fit, it fits well in the G80. My daughter is also 4 and she loves to leave foot prints on the back of the passenger seat but I have a microfiber cloth and interior cleaner spray that cleans it right up back to new.

I can post pictures if you want a better idea of fit.
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 08:31 PM   #4
BigMo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BG on KO G80 Base

I used Chicco seats in my F80. A tad on the bulky side but it was highly rated and comfy. As far as seat protectors go I used the Brica ones. They are amazing and are on the stiff side so they will prevent indentations in the leather.

https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/pro...8;gclsrc=aw.ds
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 08:43 PM   #5
Macheins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 Marina Bay M3 xDrive

Garage List
Britax

I've been using their Vehicle Seat Protector in my F80 and Quadrifoglio with a Britax Boulevard ClickTight on top of it for 4 years and the seats still look brand new.

For a 4yr old you probably want their forward only facing line of seats .

I did a ton of research and in-store testing before I landed on the rear/forward convertible seat that they offer. My daughter just turned 4 and is still using the convertible in a forward facing position, but I am already looking at their forward only seats. Overall, I'd easily recommend them as a brand but I'd recommend doing your own research for features, safety, and pricing. Regardless of seat though, I can vouch for their seat protectors as doing their job well.
      04-27-2021, 08:59 PM   #6
DeeM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Best protection for your car seats hands down.
Prince Lionheart Car Seat Protector. The Only 2 Stage Seatsaver Designed with Thick Padding, Nonabsorbent, Waterproof, PVC Foam Material. Compatible With all Baby and Toddler Car Seats (Black)

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000083G...ZDZFWKWJAVHRPM
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 07:11 AM   #7
Cryptic7
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macheins View Post
Britax

I've been using their Vehicle Seat Protector in my F80 and Quadrifoglio with a Britax Boulevard ClickTight on top of it for 4 years and the seats still look brand new.

For a 4yr old you probably want their forward only facing line of seats .

I did a ton of research and in-store testing before I landed on the rear/forward convertible seat that they offer. My daughter just turned 4 and is still using the convertible in a forward facing position, but I am already looking at their forward only seats. Overall, I'd easily recommend them as a brand but I'd recommend doing your own research for features, safety, and pricing. Regardless of seat though, I can vouch for their seat protectors as doing their job well.
Are those seat protectors safe? I also have a click tight but I thought anything under the seats was a no go. Actually I'm not too worried about that myself, my daughter is still rear facing with long legs. I need to find a solution to better protect the backs of the rear seats
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 08:32 AM   #8
Macheins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 Marina Bay M3 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic7 View Post
Are those seat protectors safe? I also have a click tight but I thought anything under the seats was a no go. Actually I'm not too worried about that myself, my daughter is still rear facing with long legs. I need to find a solution to better protect the backs of the rear seats
I believe they are. I did way more research than I care to admit before we bought any products.

The CSFTL that has all of their information produced by licensed CPSTs (Child Passenger Safety Technicians) says the following:

Quote:
The short answer: At CSFTL, we don’t recommend using any product or item between the vehicle seat and the child restraint because as CPSTs, we often see them misused. Ultimately the decision is up to the parent.

The longer answer: Some specific car seats permit the use of specific seat protectors. While we don’t recommend using one, we have compiled a chart of manufacturers’ stances on the use of protectors.
*bold emphasis mine

They also include a link that has a list of each manufacturer's stance on the topic.
https://csftl.org/seat-protectors-at-a-glance/

Before our kid was born, I met with a CPST in person with the click tight boulevard seat and protector and made sure there was nothing being used incorrectly. There were many points along the way where I was thinking "OK these seats are not that complicated and this due diligence may be overkill at this point, but I'd prefer an expert's opinion before putting my future kid's life at risk due to my ignorance." In the end, they said it all looked safely installed and ready to go.

After 4 years of use, I have not thought twice about using the protectors. When placed in the seat correctly, the seat doesn't budge. Pushing against it as hard as I can will move the car before it begins to move the seat. IIRC the manufacturer said that the seat should not move more than 1" in any direction after it is installed. I honestly can't imagine it moving that much if installed correctly.

After all of that, I would still only use the Britax seat protector with their brand child seat. I've seen a variety of methods used in person that I'm not comfortable with. Meaning, I wouldn't place anything else under the seat like a towel or other random mat off of Amazon.

My opinion would be very similar to the CSFTL. If you want to protect the seat, do your homework and listen to the manufacturer of your child seat. There is no hard yes/no they are perfectly safe or not answer to this.

If there's one thing I'll over analyze and research far too much before proceeding is the process of purchasing of a M3. The only thing I'll go even further with is researching things that pertain to the safety for my kid.

Oh and... as for the back of the rear seat? Good luck. Never figured that one out and that's the only spot I cleaned relentlessly while trying to do anything I could to get my daughter to not jump into a puddle right before getting into the car!
      04-28-2021, 03:56 PM   #9
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
car seat: clek fllo if you need back seat width. nuna rava for ease of use (but can sacrifice rear space for adjacent passenger).

seat protector: prince lionheart.

currently have the clek fllo and chicco keyfit baby carrier in my F80.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 04:21 PM   #10
J3BMWM
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competetion G82

I have 3 different car seats I have tried in the car all worked fine. The best protection was BRICA bought from target it was $40. Thick padding and a lip for spills. Car seat was a Britax. M4 Competition coupe. More than enough room. Iam 6ft tall. Son is 3.5 years old.
Attached Images

Last edited by J3BMWM; 04-28-2021 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: Words pics
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 05:31 PM   #11
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Interesting thread. I have a Nuna Pipa with the relax base and it clicks in solid. I can't see how a pad would interfere but looks like I need to check with them to confirm.

It seems like Bmw has a seat cover as well. Anyone tried it?

https://www.bmwpartspros.com/oem-par...se-82122448367
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 02:50 PM   #12
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

I'm shopping for this exact thing. A lot of
The products mentioned have a few reviews stating dye transfer or markings left behind from the protector...hmm
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 07:06 PM   #13
BigMo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
The products mentioned have a few reviews stating dye transfer or markings left behind from the protector...hmm
I can attest is there was zero dye transfer on my silverstone seats after 3 years of ownership. I had the seats treated with leather masters so I'm not sure if that made a difference but with the Brica seat protectors the seats were good as new. I had two car seats in the back the entire 3 years and no issues. The seat protectors were also firm enough that it didn't leave indentations either.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 07:54 PM   #14
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMo View Post
Quote:
I can attest is there was zero dye transfer on my silverstone seats after 3 years of ownership. I had the seats treated with leather masters so I'm not sure if that made a difference but with the Brica seat protectors the seats were good as new. I had two car seats in the back the entire 3 years and no issues. The seat protectors were also firm enough that it didn't leave indentations either.
Thanks! And the blue X didn't leave an impression? I'll give it a go!
Appreciate 1
BigMo121.00
      05-08-2021, 09:05 PM   #15
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahk View Post
Interesting thread. I have a Nuna Pipa with the relax base and it clicks in solid. I can't see how a pad would interfere but looks like I need to check with them to confirm.

It seems like Bmw has a seat cover as well. Anyone tried it?

https://www.bmwpartspros.com/oem-par...se-82122448367
We have the Nuna Pipa with the "normal" base and these BMW seat protectors in both my X3 and wife's Macan.

The seat protectors are well made and reversible (solid charcoal on one side, charcoal/black on the other) and I like that they also came with a seat back protector for the front seat. Are they overpriced? Perhaps, especially when compared to other options like those mentioned in this thread. However, they're sleek, match nicely with the interior quality of our vehicles, and do a decent job of mitigating indentations in the seats.
      05-08-2021, 09:56 PM   #16
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmundy View Post
We have the Nuna Pipa with the "normal" base and these BMW seat protectors in both my X3 and wife's Macan.

The seat protectors are well made and reversible (solid charcoal on one side, charcoal/black on the other) and I like that they also came with a seat back protector for the front seat. Are they overpriced? Perhaps, especially when compared to other options like those mentioned in this thread. However, they're sleek, match nicely with the interior quality of our vehicles, and do a decent job of mitigating indentations in the seats.
Awesome, thanks for this. I get pretty amazing pricing from my dealer's parts department so I'll see what kind of deal they can get me on the protector. Mind if I ask what you paid for yours?

My wife has a Macan as well. I'm terrified of having to clean out those perforated seats....
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 06:14 AM   #17
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmundy View Post

Awesome, thanks for this. I get pretty amazing pricing from my dealer's parts department so I'll see what kind of deal they can get me on the protector. Mind if I ask what you paid for yours?

My wife has a Macan as well. I'm terrified of having to clean out those perforated seats....
IIRC, I ordered ours from getbmwparts.com for $80/each, so about the same price as in your link.

And I hear you on the perforated seats in the Macan! Due to COVID restrictions at work and her office situation, my wife has been eating lunch in the Macan for several months now. I just keep a pack of toothpicks in the garage to obsessively clean the perforations…woof
      05-09-2021, 11:50 AM   #18
BigMo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMo View Post
Quote:
Thanks! And the blue X didn't leave an impression? I'll give it a go!
The X didn't leave an impression. There were small indentations closer to where the latches attached to the car because I really had in there extremely tight. After a few hours of taking the seat off it was back to normal.
Appreciate 0