BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

View Poll Results: After the reviews are you more interested in the MT
Yes 106 70.20%
No 45 29.80%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

03-19-2021, 11:53 AM   #67
Donolotti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Previous car: 2018 ZCP M4

I just want a manual comp M4 like I had before… why can't BMW do this??
And on the flip side what if someone wants a chill daily M3 or M4 thats auto and not comp??
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 12:49 PM   #68
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donolotti View Post
And on the flip side what if someone wants a chill daily M3 or M4 thats auto and not comp??
To get the "comp" in 6MT will just require a software tune to up the boost and a "competition" badge. There really aren't any other differences that I'm aware of. What would have been awesome is if they'd given the 6MT a special designation. They could have chucked a few random things in there and charged a chunk more and I'm sure people still would have paid it
Appreciate 2
Scorp!on1511.50
trey1001125.00
      03-19-2021, 03:06 PM   #69
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (2014), M3 (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
Quote:
To get the "comp" in 6MT will just require a software tune to up the boost and a "competition" badge. There really aren't any other differences that I'm aware of. What would have been awesome is if they'd given the 6MT a special designation. They could have chucked a few random things in there and charged a chunk more and I'm sure people still would have paid it
I think you could argue they gave it the traditional and historically significant designation of M3 (or M4 which has much less history). Which is to say, the 6MT wears the unadulterated M badge.

That might be a pretty generous description of the situation but I think it's defensible.

Jason
Appreciate 2
trey1001125.00
      03-19-2021, 08:14 PM   #70
Donolotti
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jproos View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I think you could argue they gave it the traditional and historically significant designation of M3 (or M4 which has much less history). Which is to say, the 6MT wears the unadulterated M badge.

That might be a pretty generous description of the situation but I think it's defensible.

Jason
Yeah I would go with the manual no question just want the higher performance car in manual because I am and enthusiast. Sucks that the auto people just are giving the higher performance model without really asking for it.
Appreciate 2
Jproos325.00
MauiSteve281.00
      03-20-2021, 06:12 AM   #71
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jason
Yeah I would go with the manual no question just want the higher performance car in manual because I am and enthusiast. Sucks that the auto people just are giving the higher performance model without really asking for it.
I don't think there will be much real world difference between the 2 except for the fact that the auto will be faster due to shorter ratios and speed of changing gears. In the initial reviews where they had both on hand, I was waiting to hear something about noticing that the 6MT is down 70 ft lb of torque in driving, but no one mentioned it. If anything they mentioned that you should get the 6MT. First couple of dynos show similar torque which shouldn't be the case at all as 70 is a big swing even in varying dynos. Worst case you'll be able to get a simple tune to get the added power.

Have they determined if there are any other differences between the comp and non-comp?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 09:24 AM   #72
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Hard for me to say if I have changed much due to the reviews. I am a bit torn about 6MT vs auto, but leaning towards auto (and AWD) for practicality. Chances are I will test drive in both suits. If 6MT has that gotta-have-it factor, then I will
Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00
      03-20-2021, 09:42 AM   #73
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Jason
Not G8X related really, but I think it’s hilarious that BMW made competition pack a badge now. Maybe that’s more reflective of BMW owners rather than BMW itself tho...
      03-20-2021, 02:19 PM   #74
codestar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Model S P100D

Garage List
I've been looking for some decent video reviews / instrumented tests for the 6MT but it seems that all of the publications are reviewing the Comps; it seems like BMW is intentionally limiting press reviews for the launch. The only major review I've found was a written one by R&T, are there any others worth taking a look at?

Waiting for my local dealership to get one in but all they have are Competitions right now. The only 6MT they had was bought before release date and taken off the floor right away
Appreciate 2
Dabozo624.50
      03-20-2021, 03:21 PM   #75
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm4 View Post
I have a 6MT G82. Having driven it for over 1,200 miles, I got tired of traffic jams and constantly needing to changing gears manually. Computer does it way better and I get to keep both hands on the steering wheel when making aggressive maneuvers.

Now I prefer AT.

If I were given another chance, I would wait for Competition with Xdrive.
I'm enjoying manual again after some aggressive shifts on highways

I just had to get used to it.

The last time I had a manual was 6 years ago
      03-20-2021, 04:15 PM   #76
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I might be if it were coming to the U.K.
      03-20-2021, 07:52 PM   #77
Donolotti
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jason
I don't think there will be much real world difference between the 2 except for the fact that the auto will be faster due to shorter ratios and speed of changing gears. In the initial reviews where they had both on hand, I was waiting to hear something about noticing that the 6MT is down 70 ft lb of torque in driving, but no one mentioned it. If anything they mentioned that you should get the 6MT. First couple of dynos show similar torque which shouldn't be the case at all as 70 is a big swing even in varying dynos. Worst case you'll be able to get a simple tune to get the added power.

Have they determined if there are any other differences between the comp and non-comp?
I want my M stripe seat beats lmao… thats a comp only thing.
Appreciate 1
trey1001125.00
      03-21-2021, 03:38 AM   #78
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm4 View Post
I'm enjoying manual again after some aggressive shifts on highways

I just had to get used to it.

The last time I had a manual was 6 years ago
I'm happy for u, your former post was kinda sad
Appreciate 2
trey1001125.00
nathanm4682.00
      03-21-2021, 11:22 PM   #79
IcebergM4
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 M4C

Quote:
I want my M stripe seat beats lmao… thats a comp only thing.
IND should have those belts available for sale in no time
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 08:17 PM   #80
filostrato
Private
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

I'll be taking delivery of a BG M3 in the next week (hopefully)
A little nervous going from a Cayman S to the G80 6MT as some people describe a "rubbery" feel to the shifter... but really I'm just excited this car exists!

Three pedals and four doors? Sold
Appreciate 2
nathanm4682.00
02M3ForMe4257.00
      03-23-2021, 08:59 PM   #81
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filostrato View Post
I'll be taking delivery of a BG M3 in the next week (hopefully)
A little nervous going from a Cayman S to the G80 6MT as some people describe a "rubbery" feel to the shifter... but really I'm just excited this car exists!

Three pedals and four doors? Sold
I'm loving my BGM 6MT. Definitely getting used to driving a manual again, but really enjoying it. It's a decent enough shift, not amazing, longer throw than I expected, but tons of fun.

I've found it's made me a more relaxed driver, I don't want to sit on someone's ass and be constantly shifting, but the benefit of all the power is that as soon as there's a gap or you want to create space you can hit it and you are just gone, straight away. Power is put down beautifully and the steering is amazing.

You'll love it
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 09:37 PM   #82
kingmonkeyjr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M40i, GLC63, E63s, Trackhawk

My 3 pedal Brooklyn is almost here
Appreciate 5
Scorp!on1511.50
bri10425893.50
nathanm4682.00
Bahamut709.50
02M3ForMe4257.00
      03-24-2021, 08:01 PM   #83
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (2014), M3 (2021)

I didn't expect quite so many to say they were more interested in the 6MT after the reviews. I thought some would be but 2x as many people have said they're more interested now then said they aren't more interested in the 6MT now.

I wonder how many will actually change what they order vs. what they planned to order.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 12:52 AM   #84
trojane92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
I'm loving my BGM 6MT. Definitely getting used to driving a manual again, but really enjoying it. It's a decent enough shift, not amazing, longer throw than I expected, but tons of fun.

I've found it's made me a more relaxed driver, I don't want to sit on someone's ass and be constantly shifting, but the benefit of all the power is that as soon as there's a gap or you want to create space you can hit it and you are just gone, straight away. Power is put down beautifully and the steering is amazing.

You'll love it
Notice any turbo lag in low rpm say when you're shifting from 2nd to 3rd in low speed? I'm not expecting none, but I wonder how it compares to the f80 6mt?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 01:21 PM   #85
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

What if you short-shift to 2nd gear at 30km/h (20miles), and then floor it all the way to 100km/h. Is the acceleration brutal ?
I ask because I skip the first gear often in my M235i to get that smooth airplane take-off feeling, with the power seamlessly building-up to push me in the seat.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 06:47 AM   #86
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
Speaking of, looks like another 6MT review is up!
Thanks for that. I immediately blanched at the "Bro's Four Speed" name, but I stuck with it since he's a local homeboy (NC). Really, he did a good job. I hate amateur "reviewers" with the handheld phone zipping around making me nauseous, the unscripted rambling about unimportant crap and of course, constant self-promotion. He did a great job pointing out a lot of details and reviewing the car. The photography was excellent, the editing spot-on and really I was pleasantly surprised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d001 View Post
The 6MT is not up to par with the rest of the car. .... Nowhere near cayman, current miata, 1LE camaro.... it shows BMW has spend little to no money to improve it. Just my experience, I welcome questions.
Well, BMW has never, never ever come even close to the Porsche 6-speed or Miata boxes, and they never will. Rubbery, notchy, long throw, have always been a BMW trademark. Yes, they probably haven't spent much money to improve it, because they think it's just fine. German logic, right? Those of us who were fortunate enough to drive E28s and E34 and E36 when they were new, know what a proper BMW gearbox used to feel like. But millions of dollars of warranty claims on destroyed synchros and burned up clutches have now gotten us to where we are now with the notchiness, the CDV and reduced power (at least, there was in my OG M2) at WOT on upshifts. Annoying.

Quote:
I didn't expect quite so many to say they were more interested in the 6MT after the reviews. I thought some would be but 2x as many people have said they're more interested now then said they aren't more interested in the 6MT now.
My opinion didn't change after reading/viewing reviews, because I knew from the get-go that I wanted a three pedal car.

This morning driving into work, I decided that I would wait for a 2022 to get my M4. Then I finished reading this thread and watched the review and now I want one now, today, this afternoon, dang it!

But I'll try to be a grown-up and wait and order what I want instead of jumping on the first available car I see.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 07:41 PM   #87
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jason
Just buy a badge and a jb4.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 09:36 PM   #88
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

The ZF8 is a great automatic. But I have it in my X5 50i. It's great I can paddle shift and get lightning fast shifts but I want an M3 to be different from an X5.

That said, after reading this thread and the idiosyncrasies of the DCT, I am not surprised they eliminated it in favor of the ZF8.

Last edited by Multimodal; 04-27-2021 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 0