03-20-2021, 11:59 PM   #23
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKthePM View Post
Hmm. The M4s are Michelin, saw and confirmed with my local dealer today. M3s come with Pirelli for cost cutting is what my dealer mentioned. But you can ask for Michelin's and it can be added from factory.
i wish thats the case, but most likely it's just what the factory had available that week based on just-in-time inventory

my g82 feb production just got delivered to dealer, have pirelli pz4 on. Dealer expectedly refused to swap... Guess will run through this set before going to PS4S, hoping to hear some reports on folks running diff sizes like 295 rears

03-21-2021, 12:53 AM   #24
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberStorm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKthePM View Post
Hmm. The M4s are Michelin, saw and confirmed with my local dealer today. M3s come with Pirelli for cost cutting is what my dealer mentioned. But you can ask for Michelin's and it can be added from factory.
i wish thats the case, but most likely it's just what the factory had available that week based on just-in-time inventory

my g82 feb production just got delivered to dealer, have pirelli pz4 on. Dealer expectedly refused to swap... Guess will run through this set before going to PS4S, hoping to hear some reports on folks running diff sizes like 295 rears

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
That's unfortunate. Of course, most dealers wouldn't swap as it costs them unless they can get more $$$ from you. Just wait till they run out and get the tyres that you want.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 10:16 PM   #25
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

The bigger questions here are... are the pzeros really inferior? Is it a "tire snob" issue or actual performance difference? If so why would bmw ship cars with 2 different capabilities based on random chance?

Questions I do not have answers to....
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24977.50
      03-23-2021, 09:42 AM   #26
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (2014), M3 (2021)

Here's a USA dealer G80 with Michelin tires on it. They do seem to exist.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1810512
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 07:52 AM   #27
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
The bigger questions here are... are the pzeros really inferior? Is it a "tire snob" issue or actual performance difference? If so why would bmw ship cars with 2 different capabilities based on random chance?

This. Pirelli makes good tires but my experience with PS4S makes me think think they were designed by the gods for a street tire. We really need some comparison data.

Oh wait, here we go: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=248
Appreciate 3
      03-24-2021, 02:50 PM   #28
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

heres another one from C&D with rankings

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-test-feature/

seems like dry performance is good but trails badly in wet performance even to the conti's
      03-29-2021, 09:22 AM   #29
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Manual

For once I lucked out and got the Michelin’s

Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 3
bsmf8x777.00
Scorp!on1511.50
02M3ForMe4257.00
      03-29-2021, 12:33 PM   #30
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post

Cost. And limited availability.

p zero & PSS were super different, with the PSS being better.

Now the PS4S are significantly better than the PSS, as they're the successor to them.

PS4S is leagues ahead of pzero but if the p zero we're on my car it wouldn't be the end of the world, I'd just use them as a reason to light my tires up more often lol, they're not terrible or anything
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 08:26 PM   #31
Floridagator
Obsessed with braking
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberStorm View Post

Did this car come with wheel locks from the factory, or were they dealer installed?
Appreciate 1
translux479.50
      04-01-2021, 10:26 AM   #32
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80, Raptor, STI and C8

Michelin PS4S here on 826s
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 11:24 PM   #33
Bahamut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Confirmed there are P Zeros on my car as well. I will try to ask the dealer for a swap and cross fingers, but if anything can use these to compare to another set when I do replace them. Let's see what happens!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 09:27 PM   #34
BadBoostedBMWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36m,F80,G80;TRX; 992 TTS; F95

The rear Pzero option of 285/30/20 is that a special size/width much like the Michelin SS were on the F8x chassis?

Personally, it just doesn't look like right with 10.5" rear wheel.
      04-03-2021, 08:08 PM   #35
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

having driven the car for 1000km now, and with some less than ideal weather here in Toronto (cold, damp, rainy) .. can say that the pirelli pz4 def lives up to its reviews where wet and cold traction are severely compromised.. just today in 4th gear pushing up an on ramp the tc light came up lol
      04-04-2021, 11:25 AM   #36
spacecowboy85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

Honestly this is why forums suck sometimes, opinions are just that, but some here would have you believe that the Michelins are Gods gift to cars lol. NO ONE is pushing these cars hard enough on the streets that the tire differential would be that noticeable. Unless you’re racing every where you go the P-zeros are just as good. I’m in Chicago we just had our last (hopefully) cold stretch the P-zeros worked just as good as the Michelins I know cause my 911 has michelins on it.

Don’t buy the hype if your car has P-zeros you haven’t lost anything other than just bragging about having michelins. Now for the track that’s a different conversation I agree. But for 90% of the driving on the street that these cars get used on? I wouldn’t worry at all.
Appreciate 2
Der_Wolf888.00
NickyC17442.00
      04-05-2021, 09:13 AM   #37
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowboy85 View Post
Honestly this is why forums suck sometimes, opinions are just that, but some here would have you believe that the Michelins are Gods gift to cars lol. NO ONE is pushing these cars hard enough on the streets that the tire differential would be that noticeable. Unless you're racing every where you go the P-zeros are just as good. I'm in Chicago we just had our last (hopefully) cold stretch the P-zeros worked just as good as the Michelins I know cause my 911 has michelins on it.

Don't buy the hype if your car has P-zeros you haven't lost anything other than just bragging about having michelins. Now for the track that's a different conversation I agree. But for 90% of the driving on the street that these cars get used on? I wouldn't worry at all.
The PS4S has a wider optimal operating temp range, better wear, and more comfort. Those are big things in my book.

I think it's also very telling that every single press car has PS4S. BMW pulled this shit for X3M as well. All press vehicles on the Michelins but most delivered cars are on Continentals.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 09:37 PM   #38
josehb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C Tanzanite Blue

I been shopping around here in northern NJ for cars on the lots for the past week or so and all come with P Zero so maybe is based on location. I finally took delivery yesterday of an M3 Comp in Tanzanite Blue. So far in temps in the 60,s the tires feel the same as in my 2021 M340xi (traded for the M3) that came with PS4S. Why so many think the P Zero are inferior if so many high end performance cars come equipped with then. I'm sure that 90 % of drivers wont feel much difference. The only review rating that matters to me, since I wont drive this car in the winter, is dry grip which is almost as good as the PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 08:43 AM   #39
somer
Major
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

Quote:
Honestly this is why forums suck sometimes, opinions are just that, but some here would have you believe that the Michelins are Gods gift to cars lol. NO ONE is pushing these cars hard enough on the streets that the tire differential would be that noticeable. Unless you’re racing every where you go the P-zeros are just as good. I’m in Chicago we just had our last (hopefully) cold stretch the P-zeros worked just as good as the Michelins I know cause my 911 has michelins on it.

Don’t buy the hype if your car has P-zeros you haven’t lost anything other than just bragging about having michelins. Now for the track that’s a different conversation I agree. But for 90% of the driving on the street that these cars get used on? I wouldn’t worry at all.
The pirelli's are fine when new the problem is they are outright dangerous tires once they're worn, the grip falls of a cliff.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 01:56 PM   #40
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:

100% disagree. Michelin PS4S are the gold standard for a reason. And most of those reasons are how well they perform on regular roads, not on the track.

And BMW knows this. So it sucks that they're delivering so many of our cars with Pirellis.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 06:45 PM   #41
spacecowboy85
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
100% disagree. Michelin PS4S are the gold standard for a reason. And most of those reasons are how well they perform on regular roads, not on the track.

And BMW knows this. So it sucks that they're delivering so many of our cars with Pirellis.
Gold standard?.... it’s ok to disagree but spreading misleading information is not cool, by your logic Porsche,Audi and other OEM’s that use Pirellis are wrong. It’s ok to love/ be loyal to a brand but that shouldn’t escalate to saying you lost something just because you got pirellis. Comfort, road noise can be all subjective what’s comfortable to you might not be to someone else.

Grip levels in the dry? sure you can measure that, but let’s be honest in the street you aren’t testing the limits of adhesion unless you’re looking for trouble.

To my point being that for the 90% of people driving the car on the street the tire will not diminish the experience.
Appreciate 3
Scorp!on1511.50
Sedan_Clan24977.50
Der_Wolf888.00
      04-10-2021, 08:56 AM   #42
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Gold standard?.... it’s ok to disagree but spreading misleading information is not cool, by your logic Porsche,Audi and other OEM’s that use Pirellis are wrong. It’s ok to love/ be loyal to a brand but that shouldn’t escalate to saying you lost something just because you got pirellis. Comfort, road noise can be all subjective what’s comfortable to you might not be to someone else.

Grip levels in the dry? sure you can measure that, but let’s be honest in the street you aren’t testing the limits of adhesion unless you’re looking for trouble.

To my point being that for the 90% of people driving the car on the street the tire will not diminish the experience.
Comfort and road noise are subjective? Both seem measurable to me, but OK.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 12:27 PM   #43
Transfer
Major General
Rep

*cough*
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tests/t...b=ResultCharts
Quote:
The Pilot Sport 4S set itself apart in the on-road portion of our testing. The steering feel and light handling were ideal for a street-focused performance tire, with a natural athleticism that felt just right. Steering that was responsive, but not overly so, with an intuitive buildup of effort and output earned high scores and much praise from our team. The ride was performance tire-firm without any harshness over large impacts, and perceptible tread and impact noise were kept to a minimum. The P Zero (PZ4) also was a sporty and refined performer on the street. The steering had a small dead spot on-center that made the tire feel a little slow to respond to initial inputs, but once the wheel was a couple degrees off center, it woke up and responded appropriately with nice precision. Ride quality was another strong point, though big impacts felt a little sharp, and the tire's premium tuning shone through with just a small amount of tread noise.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 03:26 PM   #44
spacecowboy85
Private First Class
Rep

So... I’m confused cause if you read that, it proves my point... but I’m done this is not that important enjoy whatever tire floats your boat.
Appreciate 1
Der_Wolf888.00