BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-06-2021, 01:27 PM   #23
peeej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former E92 owner

MT is the way to go!
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4255.50
      05-10-2021, 02:20 PM   #24
lch6257
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E93 M3-DCT,'21 G80 M3-6MT

Interesting to get a back to back perspective. I have not driven either the M3/M4 comp G80, but for me I did not want to miss my opportunity to own a manual M3 and chose the 6MT over waiting and ordering the AWD version. To offer another perspective, in addition to the G80-6MT M3, I do also own a 2012 E93 M3 Convertible in Jerez Black with 31K on it and after putting down my last 1K miles in the new M3, I peeled back the cover on the big V8 and took her for some hard pulls yesterday afternoon with my son. Couple of thoughts:

The cockpit feels smaller on the E93, quite a bit actually and my son noticed that immediately from the passenger side.

The DCT feels slower than the manual at roll off...but this is to be expected...I use the paddles a good bit and the shift control is still very very good on the DCT and in full auto it is way faster than a manual, but I prefer the engagement that you can only get from a MANUAL. I feel more connected to the 6MT drivetrain for sure. In full auto on the DCT, you could get bored, but the sound of the NA V8 overcomes that problem quite well.

I also have to say I do miss the hump as my seating position in the 2012 let's you see that hump out the front and down the hood lines which just feels sportier.

The G80 is way faster in a hard pull after second gear, but of course the sound of the E93 is wayyyy more intoxicating from both intake and exhaust, but I am modified on exhaust and have a full Eventuri intake planned for the 2012 in the future. On the G80, full M mode, drop the full hammer and you are just gone like donkey kong.....

In a hard pull, the E93 M3 is still an absolute pleasure but nowhere near as crazy fast, it also does not handle nearly as well as the G80, it does not feel as well planted, but it is still excellent.

The big difference for me is the four doors and larger interior make the G80 M3 seems so much more useable as a road trip car and much more relaxing to drive in. Not to mention the difference in the technology is leaps and bounds, but the simplicity of the analog gauges is refreshing too in the E93.

Bottom line for me, I consider myself VERY lucky to own both a four door and 2 door convertible M3 and I would not give up either of them from my stable.

Now I need an E46 and maybe one day a Porsche GT4 or a GT3 RS...I need more garage space....lol

Last edited by lch6257; 05-10-2021 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
mmckenzie216.50
      05-13-2021, 11:39 AM   #25
saphire240
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition Manual/201

Some reviews I've seen online are that the engine is preferred in auto, even though it is the zf as its amg fast. The manual "base" variants have longer gears, but maybe doesn't quite fit the bigger sport gt feeling the car gives off. I'll be transitioning into an m3 competition and currently have an m2 competition in manual.
For me personally I've had an 18 m3 comp(manual) as well so I would need the extra power and change in transmission to not have it feel too close to what I used to have. Plus the paddle shifters are carbon!
2017 m240i (sold)
2014 Scion FR-S (retired)
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2021, 03:19 PM   #26
lch6257
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphire240 View Post
Some reviews I've seen online are that the engine is preferred in auto, even though it is the zf as its amg fast. The manual "base" variants have longer gears, but maybe doesn't quite fit the bigger sport gt feeling the car gives off. I'll be transitioning into an m3 competition and currently have an m2 competition in manual.
For me personally I've had an 18 m3 comp(manual) as well so I would need the extra power and change in transmission to not have it feel too close to what I used to have. Plus the paddle shifters are carbon!
So everyone has there opinion and if one wants a drag strip off the line car I suppose the auto would be the way to go. However, if you want full driving engagement and never get bored with the driving experience MT is the way to go. It's quite engaging to drive in efficient, sport and sport +.

Bonus: In 10 years, a 6MT will command a premium residual market value over the Auto. Pretty much guaranteed.
Appreciate 4
2011ninja3319.50
opielm88.00
Mephisto115.00
warcity337.50
      05-13-2021, 09:01 PM   #27
warcity
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by lch6257 View Post
Quote:
So everyone has there opinion and if one wants a drag strip off the line car I suppose the auto would be the way to go. However, if you want full driving engagement and never get bored with the driving experience MT is the way to go. It's quite engaging to drive in efficient, sport and sport +.

Bonus: In 10 years, a 6MT will command a premium residual market value over the Auto. Pretty much guaranteed.
Amen to this.
      05-14-2021, 05:30 AM   #28
6MT-RWD
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Interesting initial impressions OP. To those who also drove both the 6MT and the Auto, did you feel any difference in the throttle response between the two?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 07:18 AM   #29
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

Quote:

A Porsche dealership added $10,000 to the MSRP for a new MT 911... That was discouraging.
      05-14-2021, 08:52 AM   #30
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah but does the 1-2 shift still suck?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 11:29 AM   #31
lch6257
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

That depends on what mode and what state of mind your in. If one's idea of their fast M car dominating mom's station wagon (x3/x5/kia) off the line, I suppose it may lag a bit off the line in efficient/comfort. However, I would say it is more the driver as launch control activates and works well on the 6MT. So suk is not a word I would use, but too tall a first gear I would have to agree, but gears 2-6 are sublime and I believe the cost is a tall 1st gear.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 11:30 AM   #32
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That depends on what mode and what state of mind your in. If one's idea of their fast M car dominating mom's station wagon (x3/x5/kia) off the line, I suppose it may lag a bit off the line in efficient/comfort. However, I would say it is more the driver as launch control activates and works well on the 6MT. So suk is not a word I would use, but too tall a first gear I would have to agree, but gears 2-6 are sublime and I believe the cost is a tall 1st gear.
So you can keep the car smooth and not bounce your passengers head around when lightly hustling the car from 1-2?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 11:35 AM   #33
lch6257
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So you can keep the car smooth and not bounce your passengers head around when lightly hustling the car from 1-2?
Surely, I am pretty decent with a manual. This is not the car but the driver's experience imho. Also, a $10 clutch stop swap does wonders…
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 11:41 AM   #34
warcity
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Manual

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Surely, I am pretty decent with a manual. This is not the car but the driver's experience imho. Also, a $10 clutch stop swap does wonders…
In bought a clutch stop, anyone know where to install it? I couldn't find then placement for it.
      05-14-2021, 02:40 PM   #35
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by warcity View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In bought a clutch stop, anyone know where to install it? I couldn't find then placement for it.
Look at where the back of the clutch pedal arm contacts the wall of the footwell, there is a small rubber plug. Pull it out, the clutch stop goes in that hole.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 04:38 PM   #36
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

It's just a little white nubbin that points a bit down instead of straight out.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 07:17 PM   #37
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Damn I've been driving manual cars for about 10 years(only 27) and I've though of myself as being pretty smooth.

With my m2c even with all the shift engagement mods I still couldn't hustle the car smoothly like my previous n/a m3's.

I'm definitely happy for you if you're really enjoying the 6mt in yours.

I was just sick of the bad shifts from the m2c and decided to go with the auto this time.

Happy shifting
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 02:40 PM   #38
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

I have 6MT M4. It's fun on highways but it's a hustle on regular roads. Be mentally prepared if you go with 6MT. If I were given another chance, I would go with xDrive and 8AT. Patience pays.
      05-16-2021, 04:23 PM   #39
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm4 View Post
but it's a hustle on regular roads. Be mentally prepared if you go with 6MT.
Can you elaborate ?

What is your background and driving locations ?
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 01:53 PM   #40
aassad1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

I just traded my 6MT M2C yesterday for the M4C after testing driving both M4 variants. The car just felt like it was designed to go with the ZF8, whereas the M2C felt like it was designed to go with the 6MT. It was a sad day for me as I've driven manuals most of my 36 years, but the car just felt right to me with the ZF8. Obviously, this is just one man's opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 02:01 PM   #41
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
I'll second the opinion that the tires weren't set correctly. When I left the dealership yesterday following the break-in service, the paperwork said they set my tires to 33/35 (which does not match what the door sticker says they should be at). They actually set them at 33/37. Never trust dealerships to set your tires correctly.
I have no idea why dealers do that. When I had my break in service they noted they set the tires to 37 front/38 rear. The sticker says 32/33.
Appreciate 0