BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-03-2021, 12:27 PM   #1
Solarium
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Ride harshness for rear passengers?

I'm in the process of moving from my F82 to either a G80 M3 xDrive or a Tesla 3 dual-motor performance. This car will be my daily and most of the time I will be the only one in it. But with the addition of a baby into our family I will needing a 4 door sedan for kid(s) in the back once in awhile. I recently drove my newborn son to a doctor's appointment in the rear seat and realized how harsh my ride is through the local areas especially with imperfect road conditions. On my current F82 I don't have any options to adjust the suspension, but I see that there's such an option on the G80 M3. Does the highest comfort setting in the suspension make the ride tolerable for a infant/toddler? Owning BMW's for the last 15 years I don't really want to get the Tesla unless I have to, but at this point it sounds tempting due to the utility, the straight line acceleration, and the more comfortable ride.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 12:40 PM   #2
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Can't compare to an F8x, but the G80 ride is comfortable enough for an M car in the back. A regular 3 series would be noticeably more comfortable.

The ride quality isn't going to bother infants, might even help some fall asleep. Noise at highway speeds would be my biggest concern as that was the only thing that woke up my kids as newborns.

"Loud pipes" don't save lives if I want to drive into you on purpose.
Appreciate 1
jonahk703.50
      05-03-2021, 01:13 PM   #3
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

I have a 4 year old and a 5 month old who both go in the car every single day for one reason or another. We have a Q7 as our main "family car", which I now despise driving after having the M3 for a couple of months. My 4 year old loves the M3 and always wants to take the "fast car". My 5 month old immediately falls asleep and has never been woken up by road noise or by me giving it some potatoes as we overtake someone.

Definitely a bit of road noise, but not terrible, and perfectly usable as a daily with no problem. I typically have engine in sport or sport+, steering in sport, and suspension in comfort, which is still perfectly flat and balanced for most driving
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 10:30 AM   #4
Solarium
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Can't compare to an F8x, but the G80 ride is comfortable enough for an M car in the back. A regular 3 series would be noticeably more comfortable.

The ride quality isn't going to bother infants, might even help some fall asleep. Noise at highway speeds would be my biggest concern as that was the only thing that woke up my kids as newborns.

"Loud pipes" don't save lives if I want to drive into you on purpose.
I don't notice that much road noise at highway speeds with the F82, is the G82 louder? Good to hear that suspension doesn't seem to be an issue though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
I have a 4 year old and a 5 month old who both go in the car every single day for one reason or another. We have a Q7 as our main "family car", which I now despise driving after having the M3 for a couple of months. My 4 year old loves the M3 and always wants to take the "fast car". My 5 month old immediately falls asleep and has never been woken up by road noise or by me giving it some potatoes as we overtake someone.

Definitely a bit of road noise, but not terrible, and perfectly usable as a daily with no problem. I typically have engine in sport or sport+, steering in sport, and suspension in comfort, which is still perfectly flat and balanced for most driving
I'm glad your 5 month old tolerates it fine. Mine will be around the same age by the time I get the xDrive. Tunable suspension definitely helps, do you notice much of a change from sport+ suspension to comfort? I'll probably use M1 as the setting I drive when I'm alone and the M2 as the one I drive with family
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 08:33 PM   #5
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarium View Post
I don't notice that much road noise at highway speeds with the F82, is the G82 louder? Good to hear that suspension doesn't seem to be an issue though.
G8x should be a little bit quieter than the respective F8x models. Tires as they wear get louder which is going to be a small issue.

But the biggest issue is all the noise around the car like pick up trucks, semi trucks, motorcycles, and fart can exhausts.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 10:26 AM   #6
kingmonkeyjr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M40i, GLC63, E63s, Trackhawk

Coming from the F90 the G80 does have a bit of road noise. Less insulation and sound dampening all around the car. I'm sure a toddler wouldn't mind but depending on how your baby is. We do have a baby on the way but that's what our X7 is for. Mainly will be hauling in that. I've for the most part all city miles and rarely get on highway but from the few times I have it isn't terrible road noise. Running PS4's btw.
Appreciate 0