BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

03-27-2021, 08:36 AM   #1
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

PistonHeads | BMW M4 Competition vs. Porsche 911 Carrera

https://www.pistonheads.com/features...20Smart%20List
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 09:35 AM   #2
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Somewhat expected outcome;

Quote:
Which, writ large, is the divide that pretty much sums up this clash. Your choice of rosette recipient is likely to be driven in large part by how you order the list of sports car priorities. The Porsche is subtle and understated next to the BMW, slower and less exciting, but also the purer driving experience. The BMW is louder and lairier and more thrilling, even when you might not always want it to be. The 911 is a better all-rounder, the M4 Comp a more exciting choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 01:59 PM   #3
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Just watched this and also read the comments (much more entertaining), its amazing they even ask the question "which would you rather have"

kind of like asking would you rather have $101,000 or $75,000?

I am so sick of people comparing cars not even close in bracket. If your budget is a M3 you are NOT cross shopping ANY 911 even the base model and if you say well what if you option the BMW to $95,000 (possible I guess), its still $6,000 cheaper and you haven't put a single option on the Porsche, same options its probably $130,000.

Smaller car (less practical, way less practical), much lighter weight (thanks to size) and a purpose built machine vs a high performance version of a mass market car... Now if the point is that you can get comparable performance for a lot less money then I get it, but all the reviews and even people on these forums saying "well a 911 is better" that's like saying a steak is better than a hamburger...

Just like when you compare a Mustang to the M4, can it compete, sure, do they drive the same or have the same comfort level, built quality, NO, thats why M4 cost what it does.

Best comparison video out there

Now you may not agree with his final verdict, but its just an opinion based on what "he likes" while driving and you can tell from all his videos he likes smoother driving eco friendly vs sports cars (always recommends smallest engine), he still gave a very good review of it and a GREAT take on why you would pick one over the other.

"I don't need to have carbon fiber between my legs to have something stiff between my legs"

Last edited by Mako; 03-31-2021 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
mirob2944.50
      04-05-2021, 01:49 PM   #4
basscadet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Just watched this and also read the comments (much more entertaining), its amazing they even ask the question "which would you rather have"

kind of like asking would you rather have $101,000 or $75,000?

I am so sick of people comparing cars not even close in bracket. If your budget is a M3 you are NOT cross shopping ANY 911
Except for the fact that this forum is literally chock-full of people posting they're doing precisely that, right?

If you don't think people aren't cross shopping $85k (which is closer to the real price of a commonly-optioned G8x, let's get real) BMW's with low-$100k Porsches, setting aside the 911 CPO market (which, you know, actually exists?) then you're not paying attention.

The G80 is so far down the list of cars I would consider buying today it's not even funny and this is coming from someone who has owned tons of BMWs including a F80.
Appreciate 0