BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-26-2023, 08:28 PM   #1
authentic-haggis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

what do I answer for security system when adding new vehicle to my insurance?

My BMW CA told me to have the new vehicle added to my policy before I arrive at the dealership.... so I went to the GEICO website to add it.

I was given the following choices under security system(?):

No Device

Alarm Only or Active Disabling Device

Passive Disabling Device

Am I correct in thinkin that I should pick "Alarm Only or Active Disabling Device"?

I called GEICO and the rep wasn't sure. He was also not able to tell me if picking the "wrong" answer would result in any difference in premium. My BMW dealer is already closed so I can't call my CA and ask.

Anyway, the new vehicle increased my 6-month premium by about $570, which I thought was pretty fair. (making my policey a 4-car policy) Been with GEICO since the 1990s and had zero at-fault accidents during all this time.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 08:34 PM   #2
BryanCO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 997.1 GT3 G80 Manuals

Option 4 - front fascia.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 08:35 PM   #3
authentic-haggis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
Option 4 - front fascia.
well.. then there should be option 5: manual transmission (by far the most superior theft-deterrent system I know)

Appreciate 4
DO4441410.50
Jimjamz4595.00
bri10425944.50
      04-27-2023, 02:41 AM   #4
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic-haggis View Post
My BMW CA told me to have the new vehicle added to my policy before I arrive at the dealership.... so I went to the GEICO website to add it.

I was given the following choices under security system(?):

No Device

Alarm Only or Active Disabling Device

Passive Disabling Device

Am I correct in thinkin that I should pick "Alarm Only or Active Disabling Device"?

I called GEICO and the rep wasn't sure. He was also not able to tell me if picking the "wrong" answer would result in any difference in premium. My BMW dealer is already closed so I can't call my CA and ask.

Anyway, the new vehicle increased my 6-month premium by about $570, which I thought was pretty fair. (making my policey a 4-car policy) Been with GEICO since the 1990s and had zero at-fault accidents during all this time.
Depends on your options I would think.
There’s all kinds of tech on this car if you option it. There’s cameras all over it and you can call it’s location up on the app at any minute and take a 360 3D ish real-time picture from wherever it is parked… in addition to whatever anti-theft stuff BMW has on the ignition, etc.

I would assume it’s possible to be remote disabled by BMW, considering the tech it has. You can remote activate it, from what I heard. I don’t really know how this translates to insurance, but might be something in there that can save you a bucks or two.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 08:26 AM   #5
Nick800
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 G80

My BMW CA said I just need proof of insurance. Not specific to the new car. I have USAA and they said a new car purchase is covered under existing policy for 30 days before you have to specifically list it.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 08:40 AM   #6
authentic-haggis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick800 View Post
My BMW CA said I just need proof of insurance. Not specific to the new car. I have USAA and they said a new car purchase is covered under existing policy for 30 days before you have to specifically list it.
I ended up getting a very sweet deal from BMW Financial and the finance manager said that they needed paperwork showing "BMW Bank of North America" as the lienholder on the insurance document at time of delivery.. so I added the VIN# of the new car to my policy. Strangely, they didn't even mind that my deductible was $1000. (my previous car was financed through Lexus Financial and insisted that the deductible be no more than $500)
Appreciate 0