BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

05-26-2021, 07:36 AM   #1
bulkychipmonk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 (F80)

Questions about Frozen paint maintenance / alternatives

Been waiting a few months for an allocation, so naturally going in circles trying to decide on exterior color. Was originally set on PB, then IOMG, and now I’m looking at frozen, individual colors, the full gamut!

So frozen. Absolutely love the frozen dark grey, but from reading around this forum and other sources, sounds like there are mixed feelings on the headaches/responsibility that come with it.

The following seem to be the main problems/solutions, but subjective:

Problem: Paint chips and scratches are going to be difficult to correct.
Solution: PPF the entire car (although potentially changes the look - seeing mixed feelings on this)

Problem: Significant damage to paint (from fender bender) is going to require a full repaint of the entire damaged panel. Again seeing different feelings/thoughts on this with regard to the paint match being a good match for the rest of the car.
Solution: Not sure there is a solution here. Don’t drive the car?

Problem: General maintenance of the paint is different to a non-frozen car. No polish, washing with very specific products. Can’t let it air dry?
Solution: Understand the materials and take care washing and detailing your car (which I think holds true regardless of finish on an expensive car)

So a few questions:

1. Is the fender bender scenario and getting the color match a legitimate concern?
2. Is a frozen color likely to increase insurance?
3. Would Dravit Grey with Xpel stealth be a close alternative to frozen dark grey? (Understanding that the look isn’t exactly the same as a true frozen color, but close)
4. Anyone know ballpark cost of Xpel stealth (or alternative)? Was quoted (by dealer through their third-party contact) $6500 for full PPF over a standard color. Never done it before so no idea if that is competitive or not.

Appreciate any advice you can offer. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 07:56 AM   #2
Mperor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 911S, G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulkychipmonk View Post
Been waiting a few months for an allocation, so naturally going in circles trying to decide on exterior color. Was originally set on PB, then IOMG, and now I’m looking at frozen, individual colors, the full gamut!

So frozen. Absolutely love the frozen dark grey, but from reading around this forum and other sources, sounds like there are mixed feelings on the headaches/responsibility that come with it.

The following seem to be the main problems/solutions, but subjective:

Problem: Paint chips and scratches are going to be difficult to correct.
Solution: PPF the entire car (although potentially changes the look - seeing mixed feelings on this)

Problem: Significant damage to paint (from fender bender) is going to require a full repaint of the entire damaged panel. Again seeing different feelings/thoughts on this with regard to the paint match being a good match for the rest of the car.
Solution: Not sure there is a solution here. Don’t drive the car?

Problem: General maintenance of the paint is different to a non-frozen car. No polish, washing with very specific products. Can’t let it air dry?
Solution: Understand the materials and take care washing and detailing your car (which I think holds true regardless of finish on an expensive car)

So a few questions:

1. Is the fender bender scenario and getting the color match a legitimate concern?
2. Is a frozen color likely to increase insurance?
3. Would Dravit Grey with Xpel stealth be a close alternative to frozen dark grey? (Understanding that the look isn’t exactly the same as a true frozen color, but close)
4. Anyone know ballpark cost of Xpel stealth (or alternative)? Was quoted (by dealer through their third-party contact) $6500 for full PPF over a standard color. Never done it before so no idea if that is competitive or not.

Appreciate any advice you can offer. Cheers!
Well, same boat here... I love the Frozen Dark Grey but worry about all the things you have listed

From what I know thus far, if you Xpel Stealth wrap the DG you would lose the golden metallic shine (under the sun) which is the feature of this paint and it won't look close to Frozen Dark Grey as you won't get that silver undertone, DG is too dark - so if you are thinking of simulate the Frozen Dark Grey, I would think Limerock Grey would be a better base

I doubt the paint would drive up the insurance... I don't recall insurance ever asked for the type of paint but the color only

Xpel Steath ranges from $5k to $7k depending where you are and the reputation of the shop

So now I think I am coming down to pick a alternative color that I love then later if I want the matte look, I will just Stealth wrap it
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 08:24 AM   #3
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I threw this thread together, small glimpse into Frozen ownership.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1824772

From my research from before buying my Frozen White G80, it seemed a lot of the negatives were coming from people that hadn’t even owned one. It’s not scary like most say. Sure, bad enough damage could require a respray, just like any other finish. You just lose the ability to correct fine scratches.

It’s a tough paint. Frozen seems to be MUCH harder than your typical gloss. So in the long run, it will not scratch as easily as gloss.

I was quoted $3800 for a stealth partial, but after seeing the slight difference it produced compared to the rest of the car, I opted out. My OCD would drive me nuts seeing that every day. Of course the workaround for that would be doing the entire car, but then I was looking at nearly $7k.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 09:08 AM   #4
bulkychipmonk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mperor View Post
Well, same boat here... I love the Frozen Dark Grey but worry about all the things you have listed

From what I know thus far, if you Xpel Stealth wrap the DG you would lose the golden metallic shine (under the sun) which is the feature of this paint and it won't look close to Frozen Dark Grey as you won't get that silver undertone, DG is too dark - so if you are thinking of simulate the Frozen Dark Grey, I would think Limerock Grey would be a better base

I doubt the paint would drive up the insurance... I don't recall insurance ever asked for the type of paint but the color only

Xpel Steath ranges from $5k to $7k depending where you are and the reputation of the shop

So now I think I am coming down to pick a alternative color that I love then later if I want the matte look, I will just Stealth wrap it
Good to know I am not alone!

Really appreciate your insight. It sounds like I'd need to go the individual route for Limerock Grey ($5k?), plus the cost of the matte wrap, which puts me in the $10-12k ballpark. So I think I'm with you, either accept the challenges that come with a frozen color, or pick an alternative that I love and potentially matte wrap it at some point.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 09:13 AM   #5
bulkychipmonk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH22 View Post
I threw this thread together, small glimpse into Frozen ownership.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1824772

From my research from before buying my Frozen White G80, it seemed a lot of the negatives were coming from people that hadn’t even owned one. It’s not scary like most say. Sure, bad enough damage could require a respray, just like any other finish. You just lose the ability to correct fine scratches.

It’s a tough paint. Frozen seems to be MUCH harder than your typical gloss. So in the long run, it will not scratch as easily as gloss.

I was quoted $3800 for a stealth partial, but after seeing the slight difference it produced compared to the rest of the car, I opted out. My OCD would drive me nuts seeing that every day. Of course the workaround for that would be doing the entire car, but then I was looking at nearly $7k.
Really helpful, thanks so much for sharing this!

Did you apply the "Dr Beasley's Matte Coating Pro kit" yourself then? Assuming this is the same as a ceramic coating that you would get from an auto-detailing shop?

Might be a daft question, but how do you treat rain water? Do you have to dry this off?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 09:37 AM   #6
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulkychipmonk View Post
Really helpful, thanks so much for sharing this!

Did you apply the "Dr Beasley's Matte Coating Pro kit" yourself then? Assuming this is the same as a ceramic coating that you would get from an auto-detailing shop?

Might be a daft question, but how do you treat rain water? Do you have to dry this off?

Thanks again!
You’re very welcome! And yes, I did the Pro kit myself.. very easy DIY. It’s a pricey kit, but I went with it primarily to have some sort of protection against stains and environmentals. It it a hard resin kit like all the other ceramic kits out there, just formulated for matte paint.

If the car sees rain, I just let it be. No problems with spotting. The only time I dry the car is after I wash it, as we live on well water. It’s softened but still contains minerals. I even let bug guts sit; never have a problem. The ceramic coating really does a phenomenal job at letting everything come right off with a pressure washer.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 09:41 AM   #7
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
The goal with upkeep on matte paint is finding techniques where you barely have to touch the paint. Even when I’m drying with a microfiber, I just do one light pass. If while I’m washing and there’s something that doesn’t come of with one pass, I refoam and let it dwell. With good mitts and soap, I’m not so much worried about light scratches, but more of the “rubbing” where you can theoretically polish the paint. This is a pretty extreme case as it would take TONS of rubbing with a wet wash mitt to start to polish the paint.
Appreciate 0