BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

08-24-2020, 09:13 PM   #199
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Most of that sounds like emotional/subjective critiques rather than OBJECTIVE critiques. Try again.
How about just moving to another brand, I am sure BMW will survive.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25204.00
VetteGuy845.50
      08-24-2020, 09:14 PM   #200
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndi335I View Post
How about just moving to another brand, I am sure BMW will survive.
Agreed!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 09:44 PM   #201
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Most of that sounds like emotional/subjective critiques rather than OBJECTIVE critiques. Try again.
I was only trying to humor you since you seem to be getting into the other posters face.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 09:46 PM   #202
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
Quote:
I was only trying to humor you since you seem to be getting into the other posters face.
Naw! I just like the dialogue. I get into enough people's faces at work. The forums are just fun, never personal. You still owe me In & Out homie. Do I have to pull you over just to get you to pay up? :P
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 09:53 PM   #203
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Naw! I just like the dialogue. I get into enough people's faces at work. The forums are just fun, never personal. You still owe me In & Out homie. Do I have to pull you over just to get you to pay up? :P
Hahaha yeah, for sure man. When things clear up I'll hit you up.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25204.00
JDUNITNOW3580.50
      08-25-2020, 01:35 AM   #204
Thus
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive m perf & track pkg

Some quick-and-dirty mockups of aftermarket edits.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-25-2020, 01:43 AM   #205
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thus View Post
Some quick-and-dirty mockups of aftermarket edits.
Thanks for the effort, but naw!
Appreciate 2
VetteGuy845.50
mirob3166.00
      08-25-2020, 02:57 AM   #206
Bluer2
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Have faith in iND i will
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 03:10 AM   #207
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer2 View Post
Have faith in iND i will
Don't be surprised if they love the car and don't change the front end at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 06:57 AM   #208
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Let me try. I honestly can't think of many, but I remember thinking WTF with these two: 2 Series Active/Gran Tourer and, to a lesser degree, the new 2 Series Gran Coupe. Still subjective, I know.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25204.00
      08-25-2020, 10:13 AM   #209
steker
Private
Rep
Drives: 428i

Looking at the M3/M4 grill, I have a feeling it might be more difficult to modify than with the regular 4. It seems so integrated that you would need an entire new front for a different design.

With the regular 4 you could at least change the grill insert or change the colour of it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 11:30 AM   #210
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

There is too much incoherence with the current design that short of a total redesign, it's never going to look like "wow". I guess we can settle on, looks "ok". I don't know too many people who are willing to drop 80-90k on a car that looks just "ok" tho haha
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2020, 06:46 PM   #211
frankchn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
There is too much incoherence with the current design that short of a total redesign, it's never going to look like "wow". I guess we can settle on, looks "ok". I don't know too many people who are willing to drop 80-90k on a car that looks just "ok" tho haha
I mean, have you seen the 911 (especially the high end Turbos at $200k+)?

That general design looks "OK" compared to Astons, McLarens, Ferraris, and Lambos (and hasn't changed much in years) but that doesn't stop folks from buying them.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 06:59 PM   #212
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankchn View Post

That general design looks "OK" compared to Astons, McLarens, Ferraris, and Lambos (and hasn't changed much in years) but that doesn't stop folks from buying them.
Personally not a fan of the squashed beetle myself so if I had 200k to spend it sure wouldn't be on the P brand haha. Not my cup of tea but I'm sure others may feel different.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 07:02 PM   #213
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankchn View Post

I would have swapped our Cayenne into a new one by now if it was a remotely interesting update. Turns out it’s plain boring. Same with the 992, my wife and I drove it and it’s lovely and if it wasn’t for Covid striking we would have bought it but it would have been against our feeling that it’s a terribly boring exterior design update from the 991. Laziest ever for Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 01:57 AM   #214
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

The race car sounds amazing. The standard M4... did they even show any 'normal' sound? I heard post-production stuff and even that was limited. We'll have to wait until production reveal but I suspect due to regulations and such it may be a little muted. I'd love to be wrong though!

Also bear in mind that all these sound recordings from race tracks are somewhat irrelevant because they can get away with removing cats, filters etc to make them sound good. I've witnessed this at Goodwood and other marketing-driven reveals/events. It's cheating, but they do it. Let's wait for road reveals and reviews before judging sound.
Appreciate 14
      08-26-2020, 02:34 AM   #215
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Temp meta discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
G80 trolls banned.

It got really tiring months ago.

Every time they don't like it...then but it

Now this gen goes S58 and MXDrive I think it's going it hand out an ass whooping to its peers which caught up a little.

The X3M figures are absolutely devastating. Take hundreds of Kg away from that
      08-26-2020, 06:29 AM   #216
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
G80 trolls banned.

It got really tiring months ago.

Every time they don't like it...then but it

Now this gen goes S58 and MXDrive I think it's going it hand out an ass whooping to its peers which caught up a little.

The X3M figures are absolutely devastating. Take hundreds of Kg away from that
Not to bring up politics, but the negative comments being voiced are in hopes of BMW taking notice and fixing the most revered M car ever made.

Similar to how people constantly protest the same issue to impact change? If you don't stay consistent, you'll be less impactful.

Most people commenting on the G80's appearance are F80 and other BMW models owners. So obviously it's not vitriol against the company, but against their most recent controversial design.
      08-26-2020, 07:38 AM   #217
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Not to bring up politics, but the negative comments being voiced are in hopes of BMW taking notice and fixing the most revered M car ever made.

Similar to how people constantly protest the same issue to impact change? If you don't stay consistent, you'll be less impactful.

Most people commenting on the G80's appearance are F80 and other BMW models owners. So obviously it's not vitriol against the company, but against their most recent controversial design.

Here is the thing with comments on these forums everyone here is for the right to express opinions and free speech. But there is a certain point where if you watch the forums closely i my self ain't no moderator but even i can see when certain members of the forums because they are so displeased with the design of the car even though it is probably gonna be changed in the not to distant future, when certain people keep expressing their opinions as if it is a fact or it is the truth in some way, or simply that is the "correct" opinion to have. This is seen not only on forums but all over the world if you are of the "right" opinion then that opinion no matter what anyone says is the correct one to have so that becomes the so called"absolute" truth.

That is when it becomes a problem, i have followed the discussions of the G80 for a long time now and the moderators have respected peoples opinions for a very long time but when every thread gets filled with the same comments over and over and drowning out any discussions that may occur that is somewhat interesting and not just another "right" opinion to have then the moderators should act.

Because the truth of the matter is, an opinion is an opinion without fact behind it then that is what it is just another opinion from members on the forums trying to make their opinion of the car become a fact then that is when we get a problem. Because what you feel about the looks of this car and remember it is after all just a car that in 8-15 years will change quite drastically it is only your look on it and certainly other people will probably feel and think like you but it still doesn't make it a fact.

Discussions are to be free and held but when the discussions is posting same old memes of the BMW grill growing in size for every model and becoming the whole car in the end, and same old post about, BMW is trying to kill itself or this is a disaster design or this ain't BMW heritage. Thats when the discussions ain't no discussions anymore it is just gossiping, the same type of gossiping you can hear the elderly have about certain stuff at the downtown local grocery shop.

Well guess what our opinions on what BMW heritage is, probably quite different to what the company thinks and as with anything it is bound to change. Nothing stays the same forever and for good reasons and neither will this design be forever.

To simply put it if you don't like it, and you have already stated your opinion on the design in the previous 10 threads preceding this one, and you ain't going to buy the car.
Then stop flooding the forums with that type of opinion cause if you have already stated it and you gotten your freedom of speech to express it, stop spamming it in every coming thread about the G80.

It is as simple as that.
Let your wallet do the talking and walking. And to those that is going to keep the F80 for a long time fantastic you are doing the environment a favor and using your car to the fullest. And you will save a buck or a few more not spending those cash on a new car.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 7
JTO245276.00
Ibiza3635.00
Jason41173.50
VetteGuy845.50
      08-26-2020, 09:19 AM   #218
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
when every thread gets filled with the same comments over and over and drowning out any discussions that may occur that is somewhat interesting and not just another "right" opinion to have then the moderators should act.
I concur. It's not a 1st amendment issue (these are private forums and we are not entitled to free speech as a matter of law), its only a matter of keeping these threads productive.

The same jokes over and over again ("guess the residual value of my F8x just went up! hehehe") combined with the fact that the unveil has not yet occurred (I will look askance at anyone who has a fully formed opinion prior to the actual unveiling) forced the Mods to step in.

We were also formally warned with a sticky.
Appreciate 2
Ibiza3635.00
JTO245276.00
      08-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #219
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
I concur. It's not a 1st amendment issue (these are private forums and we are not entitled to free speech as a matter of law), its only a matter of keeping these threads productive.

The same jokes over and over again ("guess the residual value of my F8x just went up! hehehe") combined with the fact that the unveil has not yet occurred (I will look askance at anyone who has a fully formed opinion prior to the actual unveiling) forced the Mods to step in.

We were also formally warned with a sticky.
FWIW, I feel like I've read this post about 100 times too. ;-)
Appreciate 3
      08-26-2020, 02:32 PM   #220
VTX3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Very seriously considering an order (base RWD, 6MT, Cloth, São Paulo, basically nothing else). Although no question I'd get the touring if available in the US. My "concern" is that they'll change the grill for the LCI. Then I'd be stuck with something I don't personally mind that much, but others really dislike, that was replaced with something much better looking. Scott26 mentioned in the touring thread that the grill appears here to stay even with the LCI. So perhaps I need not be concerned.
Appreciate 0