home
Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

06-24-2021, 07:23 PM   #1
dJt3xtbook
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82

Tires: A Long Rant by Me

I ordered my G82 sight unseen through emails/texts. This is one of the drawbacks of getting a great deal through a fleet manager. However, I was pleased that I won the tire 'lottery' when I saw I got the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

Less than 2 weeks into ownership, I started receiving alerts (more like notifications) whenever I started my car telling me to check my tire pressures. Probably not the smartest decision , but ignorance is bliss and I would just clear the notification each time and proceed with my drive. This continued for a couple more months until I hit my 1,200 mile mark and scheduled my first service.

At the service dept, the first thing they start checking were my tires. LO AND BEHOLD, there was a nail in the middle of my tread of my front right tire and it looks like I was driving with it for ~1,000 miles. This is my first 'performance vehicle', but in my previous cars, I would just go somewhere to get the nail removed, patch the hole and move on. However, BMW Service said they do not patch tires for liability reasons. My options were to go elsewhere to get it patched (but they said some places do not patch run-flats), pay $400 for a new tire there (~$470 with labor/taxes/fees), or find somewhere else to get another Pilot Sport 4S for cheaper.

Was not expecting to pay ~$500 when I came in for my free service, but now I was under pressure. I was leaving in a few hours for a road trip with my girlfriend and I wasn't sure if I could find a place to patch my tire in time after my service was done. Additionally, the road trip would have remote stretches of road with spotty cell service and I know it would be in the back of my head the whole weekend if I just got it patched. As such, I bit the bullet and decided to just ask them to replace the tire. However, my cheap a$$ asked if they could throw my old tire in the trunk so I could eventually get it patched and maybe use it towards the end of my lease or sell it as it only has ~1,200 break in miles on it (anyone interested? lol). This decision wanted to kick me while I was down because they put the used tire in my trunk without cleaning the tire and/or putting anything underneath it, so now my trunk has a nice brake dust/dirt outline in the shape of a tire.

Fast forward about 2 weeks until yesterday and I get a more severe alert about my tire pressure literally telling me that I can't go more than 80MPH and I need to put air in ASAP. I look at my digital tire pressures and lo and behold, my LEFT REAR tire is now 2 PSI lower than all my other tires. Something is definitely wrong and I can't even use my old front tire as it's 19" and my rear is 20". I tried to check if I have another nail, but couldn't see anything. Going to get gas tomorrow and put some air in it. I'm not sure what would cause this other than a nail...literally all 3 other tires were at 31 PSI with the one tire at 29 and in orange. Really hoping I don't have to buy a second tire in 1,600 miles of ownership.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2021, 07:46 PM   #2
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
You don't generally don't patch run-flats. You replace them if they're punctured.

We had a house being constructed up the road for us and I lost 3 tyres over 6 months to nails. Ended up driving the long way around to avoid the risk.

You can switch to non run flats but then don't have a spare so you'll rely on roadside assist or a puncture kit to get you to a tyre shop.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 07:52 PM   #3
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

These aren’t runflats. Assuming the nail is far enough away from the sidewall, any reputable shop can patch it in 15-30 minutes for $20-40. The patch job should last the life of the tire.
Appreciate 3
Der_Wolf888.00
JTO245276.00
      06-24-2021, 07:57 PM   #4
Delmoney335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM G80 comp

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Sounds like some bad luck. As said already you should be able to patch it if its in the middle of the tread.
      06-24-2021, 07:57 PM   #5
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

I was going to post the same thing, these are not run flat tires and was wondering why you have them.

Sorry this happened to you. But thanks for reinforcing my choice to pay 700 bucks of 5 years of tire and wheel protection.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2021, 08:00 PM   #6
Delmoney335
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineRaider View Post
I was going to post the same thing, these are not run flat tires and was wondering why you have them.

Sorry this happened to you. But thanks for reinforcing my choice to pay 700 bucks of 5 years of tire and wheel protection.
Which tire warranty cost 700 for 5 years ?
      06-24-2021, 08:03 PM   #7
Medal
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmoney335 View Post
Quote:

Which tire warranty cost 700 for 5 years ?
Ditto?!!
      06-24-2021, 08:37 PM   #8
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Comp

Got the PS4S on my F80 patched when it had a nail (4" bastard!) in April for $15 dollars. You can absolutely patch a PS4S and it should be cheap. Not sure I'd want to track it like that though. Attached is a pic of the nail. That's what I get for driving in my own neighborhood while they build new houses, I guess. I wanted to take that nail and jam it into the contractors pos truck.
Attached Images

///M
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2021, 08:43 PM   #9
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

I once lost 3 tires in about 5 miles after I must have driven over someone who lost some nails. One was in the sidewall (which is what gave the pressure warning). When I went to get it replaced they found 2 others in other tires in the middle of the tread. I was expecting to replace all 3 but they said it was fine to patch the 2 in the middle of the tread, and that they warrantied it for the life of the tire - basically said that patch was actually stronger than the rest of the tire.

A decent tire place should be pretty upfront about what can be repaired or not, but you never know.

Edit: the stealership were idiots for thinking those are runflats
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 08:50 PM   #10
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medal View Post
Ditto?!!
You guys made me pull the contract

BMW Ultimate Protection, T & W Protection with ultimate Cosmetic Coverage

60 months 100k miles 50 deductible.
Appreciate 2
Medal480.00
      06-24-2021, 09:05 PM   #11
Delmoney335
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Ditto?!!

Every tire warranty I've ever been offered at BMW has cost much more than that, I always decline. For $700 , that would be an easy decision
      06-24-2021, 09:15 PM   #12
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ditto?!!

Every tire warranty I've ever been offered at BMW has cost much more than that, I always decline. For $700 , that would be an easy decision
Same. It's was like $2200 when I was offered it and I declined
Appreciate 1
JDUNITNOW3511.50
      06-24-2021, 09:17 PM   #13
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I went into the finance office sort of pissed, I got 1500 off for military discount and loyalty...thats it. We wrestled on the trade-in of the 2020 AMG ( which they sold in 3 days) and they had a weird process compared to other dealers ( I go through cars and frankly they were sort of archaic)
I told him I wasn't buying anything, lets get this party over and I will be on my way.

Somehow or other he told me he had a GT3, same year and we learned we " knew" each other from the Renn and other Porsche boards. So he became a lot more friendly, the GM walked in to say good night, tell me I wasn't one of their other dummies who paid over sticker and respected that but his salesmen still did ok...I let him have his victory lap.

The Finance guy says to him privately but still within earshot as I was talking to my salesman of what I wanted out of my trade-in about giving me a killer price on some coverages, they made a show of him inputing the GM's " code"

I still wasn't buying anything.

Yeah, I bought the glorified maintenance , windshield protection with no deductible and the T&W, I wrote a check for 1960 dollars for all three.

I then charged on my VISA the remaining balance of what I owed on the car less trade-in. I got back exactly 977 dollars this month from B of A.

It's all about the little victories.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 09:26 PM   #14
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Now I know how he swings Lo Jolla and a GT3
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 10:20 PM   #15
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Comp

Quote:
Quote:
Now I know how he swings Lo Jolla and a GT3
Also, BMW told me that the PS4S I had on my
M3 had a year warranty and would have been covered if I found the nail 4 days sooner. They were replacement to the original tires though and I'm not sure if that has a different warranty

///M
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 10:36 PM   #16
wowwitsgau
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000 x2, 2022 M3 Comp

Garage List
I wouldn’t patch a tire that’s had sidewall damage from being driven on low pressures for any extended amount of time. No way
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 08:19 AM   #17
NYCMT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM_G808 View Post
You can patch tires unless it is on the shoulder or sidewall. They are saying that so you spend money on new tires assuming it is towards the middle of the tires in the tread area. That being said, If you have a jack, take off the wheel immediately in the rear and see if you can find the nail. Don't hold off and risk a tire blow out and put your life and others at risk.

I always carry the following items in my trunk since we have no spare. A tire plug kit and a tire inflator that you can plug into the cars cigarette 12V outlet.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Slime-2040-A-.../dp/B000ET9SAA

I had a shoulder puncture about 500 miles ago and having these saved me. I know you can call BMW assist or whatever it is and get towed but I don't like waiting around if I have to.

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-repair
How does your kit help you more/work better than the BMW tire kit that comes with the car?

(Basic question, I know, but the last time I owned a car it had a jack and a spare…)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 09:22 AM   #18
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Quote:
I went into the finance office sort of pissed, I got 1500 off for military discount and loyalty...thats it. We wrestled on the trade-in of the 2020 AMG ( which they sold in 3 days) and they had a weird process compared to other dealers ( I go through cars and frankly they were sort of archaic)
I told him I wasn't buying anything, lets get this party over and I will be on my way.

Somehow or other he told me he had a GT3, same year and we learned we " knew" each other from the Renn and other Porsche boards. So he became a lot more friendly, the GM walked in to say good night, tell me I wasn't one of their other dummies who paid over sticker and respected that but his salesmen still did ok...I let him have his victory lap.

The Finance guy says to him privately but still within earshot as I was talking to my salesman of what I wanted out of my trade-in about giving me a killer price on some coverages, they made a show of him inputing the GM's " code"

I still wasn't buying anything.

Yeah, I bought the glorified maintenance , windshield protection with no deductible and the T&W, I wrote a check for 1960 dollars for all three.

I then charged on my VISA the remaining balance of what I owed on the car less trade-in. I got back exactly 977 dollars this month from B of A.

It's all about the little victories.
What is the deal With the windshield cover? Is it like a PPF?

I get mine covered for nothing through Geico?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 04:18 PM   #19
Medal
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Ditto?!!

Thanks man! I'm a former Marine too if you are judging by your name..thanks for the info and Semper Fi
      06-25-2021, 04:49 PM   #20
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man! I'm a former Marine too if you are judging by your name..thanks for the info and Semper Fi
You're welcome & Semper Fi!
Appreciate 1
Medal480.00
      06-25-2021, 04:50 PM   #21
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
What is the deal With the windshield cover? Is it like a PPF?

I get mine covered for nothing through Geico?
No, they replace the glass with OEM glass, calibrate etc. No deductible.

5 years 100k miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 08:58 PM   #22
KiloCo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota// 22 G82 M4 Comp

New BMW owner/ Nail in the tire. Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
These aren’t runflats. Assuming the nail is far enough away from the sidewall, any reputable shop can patch it in 15-30 minutes for $20-40. The patch job should last the life of the tire.

During the 1000 service the Technician told me he found a nail in the middle of the tire.

(SA told me to get BMW Wheel and Tire Insurance because of what occurred with previous customers)

Service Rep told me I have W&T insurance and BMW doesn't stock tires. Service Rep ordered a Right Front tire for my M4/G82 Comp.

Any owners of the G80/82, know if the tire can be temporally Patch until the tires arrives? If so, Any suggestions where?
Appreciate 0